Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm looking for a tactical single-player game similar to Jagged Alliance (2) and Silent Storm, as apparently both of these games poo poo themselves when I try to run them on my new computer. I'd rather have smaller squads as opposed to X-COM/UFO sized ones and preferably "realistic" as opposed to SciFi or Fantasy based, but if you have a good idea that don't fit those criteria feel free to suggest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Wallet posted:

There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(
It could be Drakensang, which is indeed from Germany. It is a pretty standard (though not D&D) fantasy rpg - mystical elves who love the woods, industrial dwarves who love beer, you know the drill - where supposedly extint dragons play a big part in the mythology. You can't turn into a dragon though, at least not as far as I played (near the endgame).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Forever_Peace posted:

This might be a bit obscure, but are there any games with a similar mechanism to the Castle Fight warcraft3 mod? I like the idea of a basebuilding rts that focuses on broad strategic direction, without unit micromanagement (or preferably with automatically spawning and fighting units). I had a blast playing castle fight years ago, but I seem to have since lost my CDs. If you happen to know of flash or free games or other mods that are similar, that's fine too!
I have never played Castle Fight, but from your description it sounds like Majesty 1 and 2 might be interesting. Similar to a standard RTS you build a base, train heroes and manage an economy. However, you do not control the units directly, instead you influence the heroes by offering rewards for accomplishing tasks.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some more good simulation games that you play as a dynasty? Other then the Guild 1/2 and Rome Total War. I want a game where I start with some people, then 200 years later I'm the ruler of the world and the great great great great great grandson of my original dude.

Gameplay wise, something more like Rome Total War, Civilization and the guild rather then Starcraft or Age of Empires (Economy civilization builder vs. hope you can build a big enough ball of troops before your opponent does)
Crusader Kings sounds like a good fit. It is a Paradox game (Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron) in which you play a Christian ruling dynasty in medieval Europe and Middle East (1066 to... the 1300's?). Experience the joy of trying to assassinate your wife because she is infertile, while praying that your current schizophrenic ruler will kick the bucket so that his totally awesome son will take his place.

Make sure that you get the Deus Vult expansion, it fixes the game to what it should have been when it was released.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm trying to convince my buddy that sports games can be fun. Granted, I play really standard ones (at the moment, Madden, Football Manager, FIFA, MLB 2K). I showed him Mutant League Football the other day and he LOVED it. What are some other sports games that break the mold, and that you don't necessarily have to be a sports fan to love?
As you apparently can tolerate old games, Ice Hockey and Nintendo World Cup are good games in this genre for the NES, arguably Blades of Steel fits as well. If you count racing as a sport Rock'n'Roll Racing for the SNES is good, although I don't know how well it works in multiplayer.

Also, I second NBA Jam (Tournament Edition!), if you just want to play one go with that one.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 13, 2010

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Aardark posted:

Hello, goons. I would like some recommendations for an online co-op shooter for the PC (other genres are ok too, as long as the game isn't terribly complex/doesn't require a big time-investment to learn).

The problem is that my PC is far from being a gaming computer, particularly due to its lovely integrated graphics processor which makes even Half-Life 2 stutter pretty heavily -- so it'd have to be an older game or one with low requirements.
System Shock 2 has coop.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Kilauea posted:

My wife is a raging pyromaniac and I was wondering if there are any games where it is really fun to light poo poo on fire. Preferably a RPG but any genre is fine as long as burning things is particularly fun.
I am going to second Far Cry 2. The game suffers some very serious flaws, but when it comes to loving around for a while and lighting poo poo on fire it is great.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

cmndstab posted:

Did you ever try the Commandos series? I didn't but I had a friend who obsessed over them and described it as similar to the JA series.
Commandos is more of a puzzle game in a military setting rather than a tactics/strategy game. I wouldn't compare it to JA.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

csidle posted:

I completed and absolutely loved Mass Effect 2 a while back, despite not having thought that the first game was anything to take note of at all.

I would very much like to play a game similiar to Mass Effect 2 but taking place in a medieval setting. I enjoy games like Oblivion and a little bit Fable, but they don't have very deep roleplaying, I find.

I have considered The Witcher, because it is said to have a moral system much like Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age, because it is said to be a great RPG experience. Is Dragon Age anything like ME2? And what would you generally recommend to a guy looking for ME2 in a medieval setting?
Dragon Age can be a bit hit or miss based on your description. Like ME Dragon Age has got a generic Bioware storyline, which means decent for a video game but nothing to write home about, the combat is different with an emphasis on the tactical and the game certainly is less cinematic than the ME. If you have some patience Dragon Age 2 is set to come out in a few months (March?) and from what we have heard it is going to be more similar to ME(2) - named and voiced protagonist with a set backstory which paves the way for cinematic story-telling, less emphasis on tactical combat and more on PRESS X TO MAKE SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPEN (paraphrased from actual developer's quote) and a far more streamlined interface with fewer options.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

tolerabletariff posted:

Patrician IV came out recently and is very good, not real-time strategy but more like a trading game. Combat can be avoided pretty easily, and once you make enough money you can build your own buildings. You may be able to establish your own city, but I could be thinking of Port Royale 2, which is an older game in the same vein by the same devs that allows you to do so.
I would not recommend either of those to someone who wishes to avoid spreadsheet the game.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

nrook posted:

Braid is artsy and subtle, but if those two adjectives don't make you flinch, it's the game I first think of when "good story" comes up. It's short (5 hours at the most).
Braid is not a games I think of when I think good story. Awkward and pretentious at face value, still awkward and pretentious if you try to analyse it. The final level is a very nice story-telling device, I'll give it that.

Also those 5 hours obviously don't include getting a certain star.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 8, 2011

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm looking for tycoon/simlike games where I can run my own company or at least deal with numbers and money while controlling something. Any platform is good.
You could serve to narrow it down a bit, business sim games is a huge genre. Realistic/serious or humourous? Pure numbers game or some action on the side? Interested in logistics?

Capitalism Plus is a classic on the pure numbers side. Transport Tycoon has already been mentioned. Theme Hospital and Pizza Tycoon are classics on the more humourous/actiony side of things, but they can be difficult to acquire (legally) at the moment.

e: And of course there are games like the Patrician and Port Royale if you are looking for something more recent.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I never played Dead Rising but isn't that more about killing zombies with stupid weapons? I mean it sounds cool but i'm looking for a game where you feel like you're making your own way against the odds not killing everything with a chainsaw glaive(?)
Dead Rising is probably not what you want then, it is more of a campy zombie action game.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hey goons, can anyone recommend me a turn based(or at least slow paced) game I can play on my netbook? The specs are really weak; chances are if it's a game with real requirements made after 2003 or so I won't be able to run it. I'm not looking for much in particular, but I think I'd like something with a tactical edge to it. A full-fledged strategy game might suit me too. For reference Fallout 2 worked very well for this purpose, and I'm going to play FO1 and Tactics as well but since I'm also playing through New Vegas on my home computer, I'd like something from outside of that universe.

Jagged Alliance is something to look at, right? Which game should I get? I was also thinking about X-COM, but the way people describe the original, it seems very overwhelming.
You might be interested to know that Jagged Alliance 2 is on sale for $6 at GOG for this weekend. The original JA is also on sale for $3.60, but while a good game it is so aged and primitive in comparison that I recommend just sticking with JA2.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Old and mediocre, but Outpost springs to mind.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I'm looking for a 2-player 2D platformer on PS3 to play together with my mother. For reference she loves Donkey Kong and Kirby on the Wii, and I heard her say good things about Rayman as well. I have no familiarity with platformers on the PS3 so any suggestion is welcome, old or new doesn't matter.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Badguy posted:

Little Big Planet isn't the best platformer, but co-op's fun. 3D but sticks to a 2D plane.
Is LBP or LBP2 to prefer? Assume stock maps only, downloading stuff to the PS3 is a bit of a hassle.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

TehGherkin posted:

I've recently started reading Shogun and am only about 400 pages in, however it's left me with a hankering for a couple things. The first to be an awesome samurai and fight other awesome samurais with my shiny swords, thankfully I have Way of the Samurai 3 on the 360 and imagine that'll scratch the itch (Although if anyone knows of any other games that'll do this, recommend away)
If you don't mind really old games, Sword of the Samurai is an action/strategy game where you work yourself up from a samurai retainer to Shogun.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Chas McGill posted:

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Zeus: Master of Olympus and its expansion pack as well. Both Zeus and ERotMK are from the City Building Series, which also include Caesar and Children of the Nile (CotN being the odd one out).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

massive spider posted:

Recommend me a game where you can nuke people, any genre. I have Defcon.
Nuclear War

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The Witcher doesn't really have much in the way of a crafting, it's just basic combine ingredients with certain elements to create certain potions.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Pierzak posted:

Anno: 1404 is definitely the best, 1702? (the Caribbean-themed one) is also good.
1701. The individual numbers in the Anno titles always add up to 9.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Mister Bates posted:

I'm looking for a city-building/strategy game about settling a new land or world focused on basic survival and resource management, similar to The Settlers 2 or Outpost 2. A sci-fi theme would be nice, but really, anything with those particular gameplay elements would rock.

e: Basically, I want this game, or something as near to it as possible: http://unclaimedworld-game.com/
The Cultures series is basically Settler 2.5 but with even more micromanagement. Cultures 1+2 are available as a pack on GOG, I wouldn't be surprised to see the third game released in the near future.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

MooCowlian posted:

I've played quite a lot of Dawn of War II, and I'm looking for something similar. Strategy where I'm just controlling a few units that all have special abilities, that sort of thing. I've played things like XCOM, but I never really felt like any particular soldier was special. It was all "Oh drat, I just lost a guy" rather than "drat, I just lost THAT guy." I guess I'm looking for a fantasy/scifi setting, since when you're using "normal" soldiers like CoH or XCOM, the biggest difference is whether the guy has grenades or a rocket launcher, and I've been spoiled by running a dude with a giant hammer in to the rear of a tank so he can explode while a guy with a giant lascannon is exploding orcs.

Ideally, I'd be playing the WH40k or Warmachine tabletop games on my computer, but since I can't, I'm hunting the next best thing.
Jagged Alliance 2 might be a good fit. It's similar to XCOM, but each soldier has their own personality and voice-acting rather than just being faceless mooks.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I wouldn't say the malaria system is interesting at all. Every once in a while you get "dizzy" and have to press a button to take meds. For story reasons, sometimes you will run out of meds and be forced to go do a mission for the civilian faction to get new meds.

Far Cry 2 is fun to good to play in bursts, if you go on for too long in a single sitting the game gets tedious (same types of missions, lots of driving). On the plus side, setting things on fire is fun for the whole family.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Finding out that the main character of Nier is a guy in his middle ages was a nice surprise. I didn't even know that was possible in a JRPG.
It's ironic that you say that, because the player character in the Japanese version (Nier Replicant) is actually Yonah's young adult brother, not her middle-aged father.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

JA2 is the one you want. JA (and JA:DG) is a fun game, but the sequel improved on it so much that there really is no reason to go back to it unless you have way too much time on your hands. I've never played JA2:UB or JA2:WF, but rumour has it that they aren't very good.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Internet Friend posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla, possibly with mods, seems right up your alley. It might not be gory, but hammering people feels pretty brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

As long as we are talking Mount and Blade, a crossover between Crusader Kings and M&B has been on my wishlist for a long time. I like the combat/army aspect of M&B and the focus on a single character (at a time) that's in both games but I would like some more meat in diplomacy, possibilities for dynasty building, etc. Another plus would be if you have the option to play as a subordinate character rather than the ruler.

Total War series lack the character aspect plus I would prefer a more actiony gameplay. Dynasty Warriors Empires is just too shallow with few meaningful options. Some of Romance of the Three Kingdoms sort of fit the bill, but they don't really have the dynasty building part and as I said I would prefer a more action-based gameplay.

Any other suggestions?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Are there ANY games at all like Anno 1404: The Guild?

Preferably The Guild 1 and not The Guild 2, which added a bunch of bad things.

Christ I love everything about the idea of that game and nobody will make a proper one that has slick presentation and isn't bugged to hell.
I have no suggestions, but the title is Europa 1400: The Guild, not Anno 1404 (different game).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

kirbysuperstar posted:

CTHCC is kind of.. I dunno. Being only able to use a given conversation topic on a person once ever is really dumb and just kinda tells me I should get every topic to max level before even bothering to talk to anyone. That's the impression it gives me, anyway, I'm sure it doesn't work out like that, but..
It's also not funny in the least, which in a way is pretty realistic given that the protagonist is a teenager who is a self-styled comedian.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Mokinokaro posted:

the King's Bounty series (just get Armored Princess + Crossworlds which is an addon for it)
Only get Crossworlds, it's basically AP + some new content and you don't need AP to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The GoG version works fine for me on Windows 7, no idea about the original.