Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I was thinking about making one of these threads but didn't get around to it - they're really great, I want to see this succeed like the NMD sticky.

Anyway, it's not grid-based or Orcs and Elves, but it's the only older RPG/FPS hybrid that I can think of - Have you played either of the System Shock games? I'm not sure if Good Old Games picked it up, but last I checked you could get the game on a lot of abandonware sites.

System Shock 2 still scares the poo poo out of me, despite the fact that the graphics can get a bit silly.

And a question of my own: Can anyone recommend a non-linear RPG with a cool world, along the lines of Arcanum or Vampire: Bloodlines? I think I might have run out, but there's still a little hope left in me. I've played all the Fallouts, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate II, though I didn't like the last one that much. Am I missing any great ones?

Edit: BEAT YA, BASTARD

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm looking for a new game to play, perhaps you guys may know a few titles for me.

I'm after something, preferably an RPG, puzzle or point and click adventure game for PC or DS that I can honestly, really get sucked into. The last game that truly managed to totally immerse me and worked as a form of time travel (start playing at 8pm, look at the clock at what you think is an hour later and realise it's 2am) was rather ironically, the Chrono Trigger DS port which was the first time I'd played it. I want to get that feeling like I'm a 12 year old girl again, staying up late to play Link to the Past because it's so fun I don't want to put it down. Well, you get the point.

I don't care about the newest and shiniest games, I will play a text based adventure from 1972 if it's good fun. I just want it to be immersive, fun and most importantly, easy to just pick up and play whenever I feel like it.

I've played Fallout 3 and Oblivion lately (both heavily modded) but I tend not to prefer the first person RPG style, I enjoy the isometric top down views of things like Baldur's Gate 2 (which I still haven't beaten - the first dungeon puts me off every time) the first Neverwinter Nights which I still play from time to time, and Dungeon Siege. I tried to play the Dark Spire but embarrassingly I got stuck at a locked door about five minutes into the game which is a shame because I've heard wonderful things about it.

Any takers?

Have you played Hotel Dusk? It's an extremely cool adventure game on the DS. Amazing writing, great sense of humor, interesting story, and the whole game looks like this:

Lots of dialogue, lots of cool detective work.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Faerie Fortune posted:

I have, it's a very very cool game and I love the style but it's one of those games where you really can't leave it alone for more than a couple of days (or at least I can't) because by the time you've picked it back up again you've forgotten what you needed to do. My memory sucks.

Follow-up recommendation, then. Have you played The Last Express? It's kind of a similar game, but it's set right before the outbreak of WWI, and the whole game takes place on a train. Lots of emphasis on well-written characters and story, and everything takes place in real-time. Very nonlinear.

Plus they used a rotoscoping animation tool thing so everything looks like this:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Otter Wate posted:

Yeah I've been looking to try Republic. I couldn't tell if it was super linear; I like how in KOTOR your actions tend to influence later parts of the game. That's always something I look for since it ups the chances of me replaying it. I tried Democracy, but it's much more of a cut and dry political simulator, which is fun but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll read some reviews of Republic before buying on GOG.

Republic is an amazing concept but it is the clunkiest game I have ever played. I used to scoff at complaints of the interface and bugs in games - they were never things that truly hampered my enjoyment of a game, until I played Republic. Also, in practice it plays out like a pretty flavorless strategy game, rather than a game centered around anything actually political.

:( What could have been.

TheRedEye posted:

I want the guy looking for an adventure game to play The Last Express instead of the also-recommended Hotel Dusk, which is the same game except lovely.
To be fair, there's not a whole ton of games out there like that. In my opinion, anyone would be doing themselves a disservice not by playing both. Not that it matters, he's already played Hotel Dusk. (In which case, yeah, he really should play The Last Express, which is admittedly better.)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Wallet posted:

I assume it's cool to use this thread to ask for recommendations? I've got a hankering for any sort of CRPG that's come out in the last four or five years that I haven't played. It's not that I don't like old games, I've just played all of them. In recent years I've played all of Bioware's stuff, Drakensang, and uh.. Fallout 3/Oblivion, The Witcher, that's it I think. I can't find anything else of recent vintage. There was a goon that posted about another German RPG a while ago that I think should be out by now where you turn into a dragon or something but I can't remember the name of it or find the thread. Help me :(

Yeah, the idea of the thread is for anyone to come in and ask for recommendations, to keep the thread moving.

Have you played Mount and Blade? It's pretty actiony, but it has a lot of great RPG systems in there, it has an amazing mod community, and it's the only recent game I can think of along the lines of what you're talking about.

Oh, and the German RPG you're talking about is Divinity 2, I believe.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Morpheus posted:

I'm wondering if there are any games like Pathologic out there: specifically, what interests me most about the game is the fact that the entire thing takes place in a single, small village. Technically, the entire world is available to you, and the entire world is pretty small, but it evolves as you play and progress the plot. Is there anything else like that at all?

(Note: This is not the same as a sandbox title, not GTAs or anything by Bethesda. This is a small game world.)

Thought about this one for a long time, and I can only think of one recommendation for now. Have you played Bully? It's by the same developers as GTA but takes place in a much more limited setting - a school and a small surrounding town. The seasons progress as you go through the game and the school goes through a ton of cool little changes.

It is a sandbox title, but with a little more focus than GTA and obviously a tighter setting.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I have a pretty simple recommendation request this time: Scary games. What are the spookiest games I can play, when it comes to the PC? They can be from any time, I'm not picky.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

FEAR - Not a big fan. I guess the shooter action was pretty fun, but the horror "sections" were just uninspired, in my opinion.
STALKER - Loved it. Lots of great, creepy atmosphere-building, and the sheer terror that persisted past the jump scare of a bloodsucker was awesome.
Penumbra - HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS. I played a demo a long, long time ago. It was kind of clunky, but I've heard great things about it since, and it sounds like they must have improved a whole lot. Is it worth playing?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Bluetooth human being posted:

Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 & 5 have all been released for the PC. Of those, I would really only recommend 2 and 3, as they have the best atmosphere, story and gameplay in my opinion. They're all separate stories, so you don't need to have played one to play the other.

Dead Space is also available for the PC. It does a pretty good job of building tension. It does have a number of the jump scares, but there's more to it then just that. Personally, I have a hard time with the game because of the controls as I can't get very accurate with the mouse, but others don't seem to have the problem. It's probably your best bet for a horror game on the PC.

poo poo, I knew I was missing something. I've played Silent Hill - well, 2 and 3. How worth it are 4 and 5?

And thanks for the Dead Space recommendation, I somehow forgot about that.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
System Shock 2 is indeed great, will play Alien Vs. Predator 2.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Funso Banjo posted:

The guy who was after something scary and good.

Try thief 3. It's not really scary during the majority of the game, but it does have one level that scared me (and a bunch of other goons back when it was new and we had a megathread) to hell. I think the fact the majority of the game is not trying to be scary makes that part even better.

Also it's just a kickass game.

I hate forgetting things when I make my posts, because it always ends up that I've already played half of the recommendations. :(

Thief 3 is another great example of the kind of game I'm into, though. The tension, even in the levels that weren't the Cradle, was insane.

prismeclipser posted:

So I have a 360 and realized I only have four games for it which seems like a waste of a console.

I own Chromehounds, Saint's Row 2, Prototype, and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I was thinking of getting one of the Burnout games and Fable 2. I also dislike first person shooters. What would you guys would suggest?

Do you have GTA IV? It's not as good as the earlier games in the series, in my opinion, but it's still definitely worth a play through, and you seem like to like sandbox games.

Also get Crackdown. It's kind of like Prototype, but with a better acrobatics system, and more focus on weapons than melee abilities (don't worry, though, you don't have to be good at shooters, most of your shooting will be auto-lock). If you've played Mercenaries, it's kind of similar in that your main objective is killing bosses, and killing the lieutenants and such under them makes those big boss fights easier.

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2009

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I guess I'm alternating between obscure and general requests here.

What are some games where you start off with nothing, and you truly have to figure out everything for yourself - not just the game mechanics, but I mean the setting, how the world works, etc.

I always loved that about the Myst series - you had to do some serious, large-scale thinking and really figure out the world around you, instead of just solving lame puzzles.

:( Is there even anything like this?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

scott14277 posted:

I second (or third?) this request, again.
I've tried a few clones, but none have been able to go beyond rudimentary puzzles, and even then, they end up explaining the puzzle.
Let me see if I can explain better. In most of these games, the goal of each puzzle is to find the solution to it, usually some sort of color sequence or matching game. In the Myst puzzles, you don't even know what the puzzle is. You don't know what the category is, you don't know the solution. The tools to find the solution are also presented (so it's not a Guide Please), but they are not blatantly labeled "Solution to X". It is often presented as, say, a bit of research in the form of a table of values.
Let me know if we are thinking the same thing, Doc Iono

Yep, this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Expendable Henchman posted:

Are there any games set in the Maya/Inca world?

Well, now I want one. :(

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Here's one - a nonlinear-ish game with lots of customization and a little area to display my achievements (like the shed in Hitman 2, your room in Bully, etc.)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Frankosity posted:

One CRPG that immediately comes to mind is Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura, which gives you a huge, uniquely inspired world to explore and offers a lot of customisation in terms of skills and stats. The only drawback to the game is that it isn't really challenging once you get out of the early game and it's so buggy installing the unofficial patch is pretty much required.

Black Isle's repertoire of RPGs would also come highly reccommended, especially Fallout 1 & 2 and the Baldur's Gate series.

What qualifies as the early game, because I got into the Black Mountain Mines and I kind of gave up on the game, since my gunfighting/talking character seemed horribly underpowered for it. :(

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Bluetooth human being posted:

The Black Mountain Mines are so incredibly difficult at the level it tells you to get there. Once they say that's where you need to go for the main quest, you're supposed to go and do a bunch of other quests to level up and get new gear. Otherwise, you're just gonna get raped by those golems.

Oh god dammit, any tips on where I should go? I feel like I have mostly exhausted the quests in Tarant, and I've done Black Root and Dernholm.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

dMastri posted:

(2) A flight sim with personality. I've been in love with Flight sims since the Aces series of games in the 90s (Aces over the Pacific, Aces over Europe), but even those games didn't really have much personality. Lately I've been playing IL2 Sturmovik which is a great sim, but it feels so utterly devoid of humanity. I want wingmen with names, and maybe a shoddy story or something. Something that breathes life into the game and doesn't make me shrug indifferently when a wingman is getting blown out of the sky. Do such games even exist?

I saw an LP recently for Crimson Skies which looks like what I want, but it is old and doesn't play nice with modern hardware. :(

Ace Combat series. They're on consoles, so I don't know if you'd be able to play them, but they sound like exactly what you're looking for. Each one has a story, consistent wingmen, orchestral soundtrack - all that kind of pulpy flight story stuff, it's a lot of fun. The flight action is fairly arcadey, but not horribly so, in my opinion. There's three you can play on the PS2 and one on the 360.

Also one on the PSP, if you have one of those, but I have no idea if that one's any good.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Frankosity posted:

Definitely check out the Alpha Centauri LP, and Zoolooman's Civ 4 LP. They both take a really interesting way of creating a "story" in games that were otherwise light on plot.

Agreed with this, but also read the Medieval 2: Total War LP by Jerusalem.

It's really long - like, novel-length - but it's another fantastic example of this kind of LPing, and he's a pretty sharp writer.

I also recommend Jerusalem's San Andreas LP.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Bloodloss posted:

I'm in the mood to play a good RPG. I want it to have choices and consequences - not just the illusion of choice you find in many RPGs these days, but choices that will actually affect things in a tangible way. A good storyline, good combat system (I prefer turn-based), good art style (not necessarily great graphics, I don't mind playing an old game), and good character customisation would all be big bonuses.

I haven't played many RPGs but I really loved Fallout 1, Final Fantasy 8 (completely different from what I've described but whatever), and Planescape: Torment.

Try The Witcher. It has its flaws like every game, but one of its colossal strengths is that the choices actually matter. Nearly every choice you make will have an effect somewhere later in the game; few choices are insignificant.

The combat system is pretty fun, but it is more action-y than RPG-like. The art style, while not crazy-innovative, is pretty, and the world is well designed. The character customization is pretty cool, though it's not quite to the degree of your usual D&D game.

I recommend reading the thread, since it can explain the game way better than I can.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Jetsetlemming posted:

I want a game whose primary reward mechanism for progress is looking at cool, atmospheric environment art. Games like The Void on PC, where as you progress you unlock new nodes on the world map that you're allowed to enter, or Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii, which has very basic gameplay which serves purely as something to occupy your time as you progress through the neat environments. I have all platforms except 360 and PSP.

If you haven't played it yet, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus is a rewarding experience primarily because all of the environments you explore, and the colossi themselves are visually beautiful, too.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Looking for a modern(ish) RPG with a great setting or story like all the classics - Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape, etc. I've already played Vampire, and it's probably my favorite RPG of all time. What's out there for me? Should I try the Gothic series? I do enjoy Elder Scrolls, but Oblivion was bland as gently caress.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Barudak posted:

Have you tried the Witcher? It plays similarly to the titles you mentioned and has very interesting choice mechanic.

In addition to that Gothic III isn't going to be the worst choice but it's going to leave a similar taste in your mouth that Oblivion did.

I did, but I only got two acts in or so. I should definitely try playing through it again - I can't really remember why I quit. That's too bad about Gothic. Also, I've already played Dragon Age, before anyone recommends me that. It was alright, I guess, but the setting just didn't seem that interesting, nor did the characters or dialogue.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Barudak posted:

Arx Fatalis is an older game but it certainly has a unique setting and play mechanics, although it isn't particularly well balanced. While first person like Oblivion it sets itself apart from pretty much every other FPS RPG.

Have you played Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, or any other of the older isometric WRPGs? They might not be unique but they are similar to Arcanum, Planescape, and Fallout in terms of design.

If you want a glitchy game thats hardcore dungeon crawling and based on one of the most feared modules in all of D&D Troika's "Temple of Elemental Evil" could also be up your alley.

I'll definitely try out Arx Fatalis - it sounds cool.

I did try Baldur's Gate II, but it was actually what prompted this post. I've just gotten into the main city, and I've been farting around a bit, but nothing seems as interesting as it did in Fallout or Arcanum or Planescape.

I might try out Temple of Elemental Evil, because I do love Troika, but to be honest, I'm not much for dungeon crawling.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
You might as well try SimCity 4. In my opinion, it's fairly easy, and this is coming from someone who sucks at Caesar, Tropico, etc.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Not sure if it's what you're after gameplay-wise, but Neverwinter Nights 2, and its expansion, are pretty massively customizeable. The appearance options are pretty wide, and the gameplay options are massive, too, with dozens of classes and prestige classes and feats and so on.

I guess you could try some Elder Scrolls games, too, if you haven't already. That's more for customization of your character through actions and role-playing, though, rather than a City of Heroes-type deal.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Rollersnake posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 looks interesting. Do you just create one PC, or can you create your whole party?

I've tried Morrowind and Oblivion, and much as I wanted to like them, the sprawl and lack of direction were a major turnoff. But the character creation was definitely there.

Edit: Yeah, I've got Saint's Row 2. Dunno how I neglected to mention it.

Storm of Zehir, the second expansion (and both expansions are totally stand-alone, so don't worry about playing Neverwinter Nights 2 first), allows for full party customization. However, the story isn't as interesting as Mask of the Betrayer's.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Nastyman posted:

I was personally disappointed by Neverwinter Nights 2, but then again I haven't played it in a while. I will say this though: Having just finished Dragon Age, it was everything I wanted NWN2 to be.

Eh. I found Dragon Age's universe and plotline to be kind of generic and bland. So is Neverwinter Nights 2's, don't get me wrong, but Mask of the Betrayer is loving fascinating.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Nastyman posted:

You know, I think I'm gonna give that game another try. I haven't tried any of the expansions yet but if they're as good as you say I'm up for trying it again. I've been on kind of a WRPG binge lately anyway and I'm running out of games.

Mask of the Betrayer has the best story, dialogue, characters, and atmosphere I've seen since Planescape: Torment. Storm of Zehir - not so much, but the gameplay's solid if you like classic D&D stuff - dungeon-crawling and interesting challenges in all sorts of environments and stuff, and a more party-based style. You can even have different members of the party participate in a conversation for different skill checks.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Hey, KOTOR 2 isn't Bioware! :mad: it was developed by Obsidian. They've also done Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer since then, all of which have been recommended and are pretty great (except NWN2 drags a lot in the beginning). Fallout: New Vegas is coming out soon, too, so you might want to try that.

I'd also like to recommend Vampire: Bloodlines and Arcanum - both are pretty nonlinear in gameplay and dialogue, and definitely worth a try. You should check out the Vampire thread that's been running for years. They can hook you up with fan patches and stuff.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Immortal Wombat posted:

I really want a top down RPG like Fallout, Arcanum or Baldur's Gate 2 that has enormous worlds to explore with lots of story, side quests characters and poo poo. One that's not just a massive dungeon crawl.

I'm looking for something that gives me the feeling of nerd-love that BG2, F2 and Arcanum gave me. I tried Neverwinter Nights but it was just so boring I couldn't get past the first couple of hours.

I played and liked Divine Divinity, for some reason The Witcher bored me.

Fake edit: Oh and Planescape Torment, that was awesome. It's a bit more linear than my ideal, but it is up there because of the wonderful...everything.

Have you tried Neverwinter Nights 2? It's less boring, in my opinion. Especially the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, which you don't need to play NWN2 to enjoy.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Immortal Wombat posted:

Hah, this sounds stupid but I can't actually remember if I played NWN2. Certainly haven't played Mask of the Betrayer though and after reading a little bit about it, it sounds like just the thing.

Edit: Any tips before I start?

This may be too late, but monks are fun as hell. Any class really works though - at Mask of the Betrayer levels, combat often becomes a joke if you're at all DND-savvy.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
The setting and characters of Mask of the Betrayer were more interesting than vanilla NWN2 ever was, in my opinion.

Also high-level fun.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Monicro posted:

For some reason I didn't really care for Fallout 3 so I was planning on passing up New Vegas, but I'll check it out, thanks.

It's still pretty much Fallout 3, so you might not like it, but it throws all the Bethesda blandness out the window and replaces it with Obsidian innovative goodness. If you liked Alpha Protocol, I'd still bet on you liking New Vegas.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Also, if you want to feel better about your skills, don't play on the goon servers. I can reliably top the scoreboards on the public servers, no matter the class, but I tend to be in the bottom half on goon servers.

This isn't a HEY GUYZ LOOK AT MY SKILLZ - just telling you that in my experience, there's a pretty huge divide between the public and goon servers.

Also, play on goon servers sometimes anyway because the matches are way more interesting.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
This is less of a game recommendation question and more of a game advice question, but I tried playing Baldur's Gate II and I found it pretty confusing, difficult, and vague. Should I go back and play the first one? I've played plenty of classic RPGs before - Planescape, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, etc. - but something about BG's old-school DND (is that 2nd edition?) mechanics just killed me.

Also, are there any 4e games out there? (Don't say WoW :v:)

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

SheepNameKiller posted:

I wouldn't recommend it based on what you said, they're exactly the same gameplay in exactly the same engine with almost exactly the same ruleset.

Yes, but from what I understand, Baldur's Gate 1 starts you off at a lower level and might be more patient with introducing the game mechanics. Maybe?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nah, the first Baldur's Gate almost requires you to minmax your character from the start and understand the ruleset completely to avoid being torn apart for the entire first half of the game. I think BG2 is pretty much the place to start. If you manage to finish it and you're hankerin' for more, then you should play though the first one and treat it like a prequel.

Also, there aren't any 4e games out there right now (I think). Neverwinter Nights 2 uses the 3.5 ruleset, though. I thought it was incredibly fun, but a lot of folks don't like NWN games so I may be in the minority there.

That's too bad about BG. Guess I'll start up BG2 again, this time maybe on a lower difficulty setting.

And yeah, I played through Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer and loved them. Still, I was hoping there was something newer. Oh well! I'm sure someone will make one eventually. Maybe Obsidian...

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

GreatGreen posted:

eddit: Are Total War games good for this? Do you have to continually micromanage your existing territories in that game, or can you sit back and tell them to just produce more units for you as you play?

YES. The Total War series has a lot of problems with it (AI, mostly), but it sounds perfect for what you're talking about. You can automate the settlements you capture to any degree - taxes, construction, and/or recruitment. The auto-recruitment isn't the best, but it can competently run your settlements otherwise according to the automated policy you set it to.

Manual recruitment doesn't take much effort anyway, and you can queue it up over several turns.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, I'll give Total War a shot. I don't know enough to know if this question is enough to ask, but which one is the best? Wikipedia tells me there are like 8 of them and I honestly have no idea where to start.

From what I've heard, Shogun 2 is pretty great, though I haven't played it yet. Hit up the thread. Rome and Medieval 2 are classics, too.

It mostly just depends on your preference for the setting, though. However, I wouldn't pick Empire or Napoleon first unless you really like their respective settings.

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Eggn0g posted:

Is Assasin's Creed 1 worth playing, or am I better off skipping to AC2?

Read plot summary, skip to AC2. Best-case scenario, you'll get burnt out on Assassin's Creed and not want to play the sequel. Worst-case, you'll hate the repetitiveness and quit the series forever.