Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Any recommendations for RPGs/games that does inventory and gameplay items well? Without generic junk items or design around tedious pack-rat management?

Like incorporating non-generic items, weapons, or gear in a way that doesn't break up the action too much with town-selling-runs or dropping items in favor of incrementally better ones. Games with fewer, but gameplay-value items instead of Generic Studded Leather Armor Dropped by Every Level 10 Enemy, because I'd prefer if the drop was just gold or XP in that case.

I know about mods for increasing weight capacity and such in Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, etc., but I'm looking for games that aren't marred by that kind of design to begin with.

Examples:
- Torchlight: The pet running errands for you (haven't played it yet, but thought the feature was interesting).
- Metal Gear: Revengeance: Action brawler, but fits the bill of few main weapons and the occasional grenade or missile launcher without taking away the focus on gameplay.
- I don't have a PS4, so haven't tried it, but Bloodborne's fewer weapons with dual/multi-purpose(?) vs. Dark Souls 100+ generic weapons with a lot of identical movesets.
- Resident Evil 4: Inventory tetris that could be tedious, but most items had an immediate gameplay value right there OR could be traded in later.
- Nioh: Few weapons that have great skill trees for each one, and a deep system for easily and effortlessly crafting, mass-selling, and even locking items in place to make sure you don't sell them by default, etc. And you can adjust the color code for what gear you pick up in settings.
- Diablo 2 and Path of Exile have a similar setting I believe, for color coded items. Main problem is still; why have the generic items at all when they are so uninteresting you give players a chance to turn them off?
- More strategy than RPG, but X-Com: Enemy Unknown: You equip your character before the mission, and your units only have a few grenades and main weapons, not 100+ generic ones to sort through. Research and selling of alien items happens inbetween mission instead of during, which would detract from combat gameplay.
- Mass Effect: I read somewhere that you also just equip your character in this game before missions and that's it.

EDIT: I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly (although my last Nintendo console was a NES): Special items you need to clear dungeons have multiple uses; you need the Hookshot to traverse obstacles, but can also use it to draw enemies towards you. The Boomerang activates buttons, but also stuns enemies, etc. "Loot" is limited to hearts, heart containers, bombs, and arrows, with immediately useable gameplay value.

EDIT 2: Alien: Isolation also did great with its crafting mechanics. Hunting for items to craft and use was extremely fun, and the lack of materials - depending on difficulty, I believe - made finding that one part you needed that much more amazing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Thank you. Haven't seen this before, is it kinda like Duskers? How does it do things greatly/differently?

Really Pants posted:

That description makes me think of Deus Ex, Okami, and maybe Monster Hunter or some of the clones like Toukiden.

This is true for ME2 and 3, but unfortunately the first Mass Effect will throw a huge pile of identical guns and other vendor trash at you.

True, Deus Ex was great for its time and I had fun using most items in that game. That was a long time ago though, does this extend to the DX: HR too?

Haven't tried Okami or Monster Hunter, but I'll check them out. And thanks for the heads-up on ME1.

Also, added these to my first post:
EDIT: I have to add that The Legend of Zelda games pulls this off amazingly (although my last Nintendo console was a NES): Special items you need to clear dungeons have multiple uses; you need the Hookshot to traverse obstacles, but can also use it to draw enemies towards you. The Boomerang activates buttons, but also stuns enemies, etc. "Loot" is limited to hearts, heart containers, bombs, and arrows, with immediately useable gameplay value.

EDIT 2: Alien: Isolation also did great with its crafting mechanics. Hunting for items to craft and use was extremely fun, and the lack of materials - depending on difficulty, I believe - made finding that one part you needed that much more amazing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 4, 2018

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Q8ee posted:

You're a robot slave trying to break away from your oppressive masters. It's a roguelike. Inventory management in the sense that you find upgrades / kits / hardware from your surroundings and destroyed enemy robots, which you can augment onto yourself. Think different tread types (wheels vs tracks vs hover) and a bunch of different guns, power units, etc etc.

It's quite fun. Similar to Duskers in it's artstyle (sort of). Though I'm not being as helpful as I'd like as I only played each game for an hour or two. It's definitely worth trying Cogmind out, it was rather fun.

That sounds like a really neat concept and worth checking out, thank you. That kind of customization is something I really enjoy as it makes for great replayability.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Thank you guys for some really great suggestions so far.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Yeah, I'm hoping Bloodborne "does a Nioh" and arrives at PC at some point when all the planets align or something.

ToMe is Tales of May'Eyal? I actually have that from some bundle, so I'll check it out, thanks.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Sorry I haven't replied in some time, thanks again for all suggestions.

Re: Res 4 and inventory:
I've played it extensively and still love it, so no problems there. Personally, I never had a problem with its inventory and thought the game as a whole was amazing, I've just read some people complaining about it.

Re: Bloodborne/Nioh/Playstation:
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for Bloodborne to arrive at PC anytime (soon), just a fool's hope. I'm superhappy Nioh did, though.

And guess I'll have to boot up Torchlight to explore that Pet mechanic. And maybe get back to Path of Exile, as I haven't played that again after all those big updates they have apparently done in the last years.

I have another question, about greatly balanced games:
Some comments about Divinity 2's poorly balanced spells/items/whatnot made me think about what games have great balance, aka their game mechanics can NOT be easily broken. I'm thinking of how you can speedrun Baldur's Gate by rushing to the final boss and chug potions, the mentioned spells in Divinity 2 that are much better than other options, characters that are CLEARLY above and beyond other characters to choose from, etc. After some digging, there always seems to be this ONE OP strategy or character that everyone chooses if they want to clear the game. From the top of my head, I think maybe StarCraft 1 and 2 did balance pretty good between the three factions? Some fairly good balance between classes in Dark Souls, although I know a lot of people always go for Pyromancer or Mage as they are somewhat better/OP than others.

Do you have one standout game or more that has great balance for your character's skill tree, or great balance between different characters to pick from, or similar? Might get a lot of fighting game suggestions, like Tekken or Streetfighter maybe? But I'd like to keep an open mind to get the most suggestions. So any genre goes. Thanks again, hope any answers will help/amuse/be interesting for more people in this thread.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2018

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's a really good question that has me wracking my brain. First thing that came to mind is probably Nuclear Throne? I'm sure there are some OP options but I'm including it because there's a wide variety of characters and weapons and I like all of them, none of them stand out as particularly OP. I'd consider Dark Souls to be balanced as well, simply because you are able to beat it at level 1 with no items. That's like, practically the definition of balance. Resident Evil 4 has that A.I. that tunes the difficulty to your progress, to keep you on the edge of balance.

Yeah, I struggled to think of any too. Watching AGDQ it's easy to think about some of the completely broken gameruns they have sped through, but really well balanced games was harder. Hence, I thought to ask. I have Nuclear Throne already, so I guess that's on my install list now. And I didn't notice Resident Evil 4's difficulty change according to progress/non-progress until I saw a video about it some time ago.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pillars of Eternity is obsessed with balance to the point of excluding or nerfing anything fun and interesting

That's too bad. Having fun things to happen is essential to great gameplay, so big bummer there. Haven't tried more than the introductory stage of that one.

Lorini posted:

Because many multiplayer games are played on servers, the devs can see imbalances, so games like Overwatch, LOL, etc are going to be balanced or at least to as close to being balanced as possible.

I take it you mean single player games? There's not nearly the pressure on the devs to balance single player games so you're going to get a lot of imbalance because the devs don't want to take the time to fix them. And then on top of it if you do get balance, people just make mods to unbalance it again.

I personally can't think of any particularly balanced single player games that have come out recently.

Multiplayer or singleplayer suggestions are both fine. I play mostly singleplayer, but am keen to hear about greatly balanced games/gameplay overall. Not knowing of any recent games is also fine, and if you have any OLD balanced singleplayer games, I'm all ears.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

DOTA 2 has very good balance as far as games of it's complexity and competitiveness go. There are flavor-of-the-patch heroes and strategies, and some are a bit more oppressive than others, but overall the vast majority of it's over a hundred heroes are reasonably viable at any given time, often with multiple different roles and builds. On the long term, everything has it's time in the sun, though again some things are more frequently towards the top than others.

Is it particularly better balanced than League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm or (in my mind) equivalent games? Does it do things very differently from those in terms of balance?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

please don't play mobas

I don't, but thought I'd ask how that one is different from other MOBAs, if much. Just thinking if there's a well balanced game mentioned here, maybe it'll spin off some thoughts about other game genres that are too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Eela6 posted:

HOTS is more casual than other MOBAs (casual being a relative term - it's still a very involved, teamwork heavy game with MOBA community). Character roles and customization are more streamlined than DOTA or LOL, and the games are shorter and more focused on team fights rather than gaining gold and experience leads through 'laning' and 'jungling'. I found it approachable where other MOBAs were not, but I haven't played it in about a year and I know it's changed substantially since then.

Ulio posted:

Ya as someone who plays them. Don't. They are incredibly addicting and time consuming. If you are the type of person who just has 1 game they play it might be fine but you won't get time to play much else. I just stopped recently and play only from time to time.

Yeah, it's not usually my cup of tea, but again, if the great balancing of one/them can spin the conversation further and point to other balanced games, I'm all for mentioning any and all genres.

On a smaller note: Seems maybe balancing is one of the harder aspects of making a game overall? No matter what you do, someone will say it's too hard or easy. Not to beat the Dark Souls horse to death, but one of the reasons I love that game was the LACK of a difficulty setting. Instead, the enemies were different in scope of difficulty, how they moved, etc. and not just doubled-in-HP damage sponges after awhile, like lots of other titles.