Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
An often overlooked, crazy 90's action/sci-fi film. Similar to The Fifth Element, the movie is filled with dramatic, but odd scenarios. Combining tropes such as classic exploration epics of the early 20th century, with gritty commando elements, and an insane sci-fi premise of ancient aliens inspiring Egyptian gods and coming back for revenge on their slaves.

I feel it's up there with Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing as notable entries in Kurt Russell's career. The movie is also one of Roland Emmerich's early works so it has his wild dramatic style which has gotten so tired.

Considering this film has a rich enough universe to inspire an impressive cult franchise, it seems unfortunate that Emmerich's later films have explored rather dull premises ever since.

A must see for sci-gi geeks

5/5

Edit: Forgot a weird tidbit, you'll notice Roland Emmerich must have had a weird obsession with Alien faces being blown away by an atom bomb; it appears both in this and Independence day

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
EDIT: I was going to post a review here, but I realized there is already a thread for this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1167414

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 14, 2009