Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Radio! posted:

friend is cat sitting while i'm out of town for a few days so i made a handy reference guide

I'm going to have to borrow this for when I go on vacation in a couple of months

Except it's probably Widget (grumpy) and Glitch (criminal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Day 1 and 2 she was okay. Its since she realized she shared the home with another cat that she's showing hostility, hissing and swiping. :( Maybe she'd be happier in a home where she can be the only cat.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 24, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Synthbuttrange posted:

Day 1 and 2 she was okay. Its since she realized she shared the home with another cat that she's showing hostility, hissing and swiping. :( Maybe she'd be happier in a home where she can be the only cat.

Hopefully not, and it's way too early to tell.

I've had Leon for about 9 months, and Sundae is still super uptight around him. He likes to chase her, but she has no idea he's playing and screams like she's dying.

However, this just happened. He had to sneak up on her to lay down next to her but :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just dont want to make both cats unhappy. Pudding desperately wants to get to know her yet he's also pretty scared of her. Bonbon hates the sight of him.

https://i.imgur.com/0rLWdao.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/fMUj3GI.mp4

Been trying to interact when she's eating because she seems the most comfortable then (or willing to put up with anything if theres food). Even then she was huffing and spitting a bit when I touched her. She'd been starting to attack the brush too so she got some brush food time.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 23, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/ZV87XQj.mp4

bonbon chill :(

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Only video I saw of you approaching her was when she was putting her back to the wall and you approached from high.

A lot of cats don't like that because it looks aggressive (even from people they know very well won't do them harm). Most cats I know are ok with being approached and touched from a lower angle, so I approach the more skittish by lowering myself and extending my hand to them from below their own eyeline (fingers closed so your hand looks smaller and not like a paw with its claws out). Tends to work better.

They smol compared to us hairless(ish) apes and it helps to think from their point of view.

Also I don't put too much store in just hissing. That stray/neighbourhood cat I had in my back yard a few years back hissed at me plenty. Hissed when I fed her. Hissed when I pet her. Ain't a big thing. Just a warning.

Now when the ears go back and the yowling (not the low grumble) starts, then it's time to back up a lot.

Even that last video was extremely tame. Bit grumbly, but the body posture was pretty neutral, ears were forward, tail down and normal sized. Not snuggle buddies obviously, but not bad at all.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 23, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah give it time. You gotta let them sort it out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks. Its just that shes so unlike any of the other cats I've ever brought home, being very nervous, skittish and refusing to even explore. Had Pudding in my room and tried to get Bonbon to explore but she ran back hissing into her cubbyhole after sniffing at the open door. :\

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cats differ immensely and you can’t apply your experience with one to another. they also need a lot of patience and understanding

I learned that the hard way :(

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The last video isn’t that bad. It’s up to you though depending on what kind of relationship you were hoping for Pudding. It’s still really early to tell how it’s going to go. If you want a wrestle-mate for Pudding you might want to make your criteria less how they interact with you and more their history with other cats.

I’ve had Niko since late October and he is still kinda skittish about me walking around if he’s on the ground. He’s either high up and chill or hiding under furniture. He can be super affectionate but rarely when I walk up to him when he’s on the ground.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

cats differ immensely

all cattes are beautiful tho

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i have three cats, one of whom was a sort of impulse adoption from a coworker who couldn't really keep him and came over one night and dropped him into my lap. he was NOT happy at the change of scenery and the other cats did not appreciate it either. he spent a lot of time hiding and making GBS threads in my potted plants until...he was okay with things. it took a lot of patience and coaxing and just being in the room with him till he decided to chill.

give it some time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RIP O'Malley

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

TOOT BOOT posted:

RIP O'Malley

:(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been spoiled by Pudding, Cookie and Vasco just being lumps and letting me handle them as much as I want as soon as they got home. :v:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/ET2rHdp.mp4

Poor baby is definitely sick and has so much nose and eye goo. :( He’s eating and playing tho so I’ll call my vet tomorrow morning and try to get him in. He’s been a real cuddly trooper.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

poor creature has collapsed from hunger

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thanks. Its just that shes so unlike any of the other cats I've ever brought home, being very nervous, skittish and refusing to even explore. Had Pudding in my room and tried to get Bonbon to explore but she ran back hissing into her cubbyhole after sniffing at the open door. :\

Poppy spent a month hiding in her cat tower away from Scoops. Just takes time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/EZAAlM7.mp4

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

where's my fuckin' turkey!? :mad:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I say give it more time. Cats are hard to predict. I've owned a lot of cats including up to seven at one point and eventually everyone always learned to tolerate each other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd give it a day or two of not going to her or even looking at her or doing anything when she's not actually asking for it, just ignoring her while coexisting in the same space.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
yeah, I read a lot about this back when I was attempting to get closer to some non-Luna backyard strays, and the advice was always ignoring each other while in the same space. put out food or something like it and then just chill near her. For what it's worth, when we finally got to let Luna out and into the house, Sam spent over a week, maybe even two, hissing at her when she was anywhere within ten feet, and now they're buddies and routinely play wrestle.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 23, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

zzzzoop

feel better catto

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

MikeJF posted:

I'd give it a day or two of not going to her or even looking at her or doing anything when she's not actually asking for it, just ignoring her while coexisting in the same space.

Yeah, I would stop approaching her when she's in a cubbyhole or other hiding place; just chill out in her vicinity. I think she's going for secure locations and probably feeling cornered or threatened.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cats really don't like feeling cornered if they're at all scared. We have a pretty good relationship with the ferals that live in the backyard but if you walk up to the shed door while they're sleeping in there they will wake up and run away very fast.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well good progress. She was crying out for attention. At 12.30. Still she wanted play and attention and someone to hiss at outside her cubby hole?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

yeah it can still work, it hasn't been long at all in cat terms. maybe have a look back at my post history for when I got peridot, that took a long time for her and pepper to learn that each other were fine and not scary but now they play and keep each other company (even if pepper still sometimes gets annoyed at peridot getting up in her space)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think pepper actually mostly gets annoyed at peridot while I'm there, during winter I often come home to catch them hanging out together on the couch :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cats come to you. you don’t go to cats

unless you’re jet and you need teasin’ :getin: :getin: :getin:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i simply dropped tippy in with the other cats on day one and now she’s a tall thug that tries to murder them

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TOOT BOOT posted:

I say give it more time.

omg this

several deep breaths, your cats are both healthy, they're doing cat stuff and will probly be fine!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

i simply dropped tippy in with the other cats on day one and now she’s a tall thug that tries to murder them

it’s tippy

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I agree with the posters encouraging you to hang out with her in the room and keep a little jar of treats handy for tossing in her general direction. She's had a lot of changes recently but the good news is that she seems food motivated. Stay low to the ground and talk to her while you read or work but let her decide when it's time to investigate the treat dispenser.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

menace

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Roosevelt posted:

don't believe you, need pics and vids to prove your point

kidding I just wanna see more tippy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

don't believe you, need pics and vids to prove your point

kidding I just wanna see more tippy

tw: this is a picture of elder abuse about to happen

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ha! Tippy's tail about as long as his body!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

his :thunk: