Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
hello, I'm the fabled luna roommate. I have come to supply pics

when she got home from the emergency vet she discovered some catnip and she's apparently now old enough to go bonkers about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Luna got to finish up her shots today, gets fixed in a couple months and then we'll be clear until she's due for a new exam next year.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

95% of the time she's a menace, but i can only get pictures while she's being sweet

same thing with Luna. her actual favorite thing to do is bite toes, and her second favorite thing to do is bite fingers. yelping does not deter her. but drat if she isn't cute

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

yeah, I read a lot about this back when I was attempting to get closer to some non-Luna backyard strays, and the advice was always ignoring each other while in the same space. put out food or something like it and then just chill near her. For what it's worth, when we finally got to let Luna out and into the house, Sam spent over a week, maybe even two, hissing at her when she was anywhere within ten feet, and now they're buddies and routinely play wrestle.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 23, 2023

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I went in to clip Luna's claws last night and she absolutely wasn't having it. Howling, growling, hissing, my hands are savaged. She'd forgotten she was mad at me ten minutes later. Still not the worst fit she's thrown, that was when I was cleaning poop out of her tail fur and she was screaming like I was murdering her.

My phone camera really doesn't know how to handle her, she's simply too dark and too fluffy.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Rowdy doesn't normally need trims much, but he really likes to climb onto the blanket I usually have on my lap and start kneading, so sometimes when they get sharp enough for me to feel I'll take the clippers to him. He whines about it but that's about as much fuss as he puts up. Luna definitely has kitten tier zooms and also loves to grab your feet when you're not looking, so I'm trying to get her into the habit. She's not taking to it well.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

trying to get pictures of Luna going postal on the foot under a blanket but she just manages to be cute

she simply will not allow herself to be held or petted unless it's for under 20 seconds or she's very sleepy. otherwise the claws come out. the vet warned us that since she wasn't weaned properly she might be ornery but drat I wish she would chill out a bit.

bonbon's tail being so high even when there's another cat in her space is a very good sign!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

honestly it's fine if Luna doesn't turn into a cuddler -- I had a previous fluffy black cat, Freyja, and she was never cuddly but was still cute as hell and would walk around the house at night with a toy in her mouth trilling for attention. had to let her go in May for heart problems and now Samus has taken up the night trilling duties.

but it WOULD be nice if she'd stop biting when I pet her!!

obligatory Freyja pix

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I'm constantly worried Rowdy is secretly blocked and I just haven't witnessed it, even though he still seems to be peeing fine when I do see it. He's been super fussy about not eating his urinary care food recently and only wanting to eat the dry version, so that's got me extra worried.

Good luck to Seville, is there a way you could board him at the vet so they know to keep an eye on him? Our vet does boarding and I always have to set Rowdy up when I'm on vacation.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Rowdy pees with his rear end up and Samus either watched him doing it or decided she needed to pee higher than him to assert dominance. Covered boxes are your friends as long as you can get her to use one.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

You can really see the difference between Luna and Tippy in some of these photos. She's getting long, but not THAT long.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

She definitely has a bit of a tabby pattern when she's all stretched out. You can see it when she's curled up if you look, too, but it's harder to spot. I'm pretty curious to see if it'll fade when she gets a bit older or her winter coat falls out.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Crocobile posted:

I got Sinjin when he was a little under 1 and would say he mellowed out around 18 months. Like he still plays a lot and is a young active cat, but he’s not a menace to society/me/himself.

Meanwhile, last night Niko (who’s 10ish months?) ate the better part of a squirmles worm toy attachment while I thought he was in another room. I only use them with Sinjin typically since Niko immediately shreds & slobbers all over them.

I talked to my vet and they said it might pass through ok but to let them know if he stops eating. It’s been over 12 hours and he’s still a hyper-active poo poo head and competitive eater.

:cripes: I’ve never wanted an animal to throw up or poop this bad.

some friends of ours have a big cat who they got around 1yr old and he ate one of those feathery strings and pooped it out fine (albeit a disgusting color) so I'm manifesting that for Niko.

Sam took until pretty much this year to chill out (I think she's now about 4) and Rowdy took around until he was 3, though he was helped by getting a kitten when he was 2ish to keep him entertained. Freyja was chill pretty much immediately (estimate I got her around 6 mos old) and it really gave me the wrong impression of what looking after Luna would be like. Though Freyja took until she was 7 to even be okay with strange humans she didn't know and Luna is already doing just fine on that front.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

tippy is the worst. if she can see suzie q she will attack, and he does not enjoy it. he's started to limp, and he's 17 years old for god's sake. that's why i was asking when she might calm this poo poo down.

Luna has started to ease off on Rowdy a bit but only because Samus is always willing and eager to play wrestle, even when Luna is not personally initiating (she usually is). But he's definitely trying to avoid aggroing her more these days and I think he's worn out on being bitten on every biteable surface.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Rowdy has a frustrating and recurring problem where he eats hairs he finds around the house and then they get stuck in his poop and cause him to run around with poop stuck to his rear end, trying to shake it off. Usually it's one and done, but last night I wasn't feeling well so I heard him enter the box, attempt to poop, leap out and run around, try the box in the other room and do the same thing ...

Hoping I don't have to take him to the vet for it but he got poop all over one of my work shoes and I didn't even notice until I got there this morning :sigh:

I love Mr. Kitty thank you for sharing him with us

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 9, 2023

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

got some rowdy and luna for everybody

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

hello, would you please allow her to bite your fingers

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I see tippy is getting to the "ears too big for face" stage of being a long teen

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

paper towel rolls are samus' favorite thing to destroy and we've come back from many a weekend out of town to find everything how we left it, except for a brand new pile of paper towel detritus under the kitchen table

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

tippy can't fool me by looking cute. I know from luna experience that it's all a ploy and soon enough chaos will be wrought and hands will be shredded

I tried to set her down on my bed the other day and she flipped out and destroyed my hands. I thought she'd been terrified by a cord, but then she flipped out later on her own because there was an inhaler there and I guess she didn't like it

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

as long as she keeps eating, pooping, and not barfing, she's probably ok. it's kind of wild what can make it through cat digestive systems

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

taps the thread title furiously

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Chase was blessed to have you and knew she was loved. it's never easy to let them go. thank you for being such a good butler.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

no good new pictures of luna (she simply moves too fast) but a while ago I bought one of those collapsible beds that has a little cave/covered bed portion when it's not in collapsed form. I brought it out of the bathroom where it's been hanging out due to reasons (other cat keeps getting into luna's food cupboard, so now we're keeping the door closed) and tried to see if luna was interested in it in collapsed form since she's lost a lot of interest in the covered bed part.

she was not. sam sure was though

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

seville seems to be peeing, albeit smaller amounts than he seems to want to do (when i looked, a clump was maybe a tablespoon in size, when i'm used to quarter cup-sized clumps or bigger before). i've definitely scooped as much as i'd expect for the two of them, so i think he's still getting it all out, which is positive. he mostly seems to be acting normally otherwise with the exception that he's been passing the gently caress out earlier than usual (see above pic) and not coming to bed at night. that might just be the combination of meds - he was getting prednisolone in the morning, gabapentin twice a day, and prozac at night, but the gaba ended yesterday, so we'll see how he does tonight. the vet wants me to call tomorrow and discuss the prednisolone since last time he had the blockage a few days after we ended it. prozac will probably be an ongoing thing along with the urinary food

rowdy was on gabapentin for a bit after he had his cancer surgery and it knocked him out good. the first night I had him home I hadn't set up a crate for him but I found him collapsed in his carrier purring extremely loudly. hope seville evens out again! keep doing ok seville

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I need some advice

I have spent the last week trying to cajole my cat into giving up a urine sample, and she just will not pee in the hydrophobic sand during business hours. And the vet says it's gotta be fresh.

The kidney thing is a lifetime issue, what's the best way to deal with this long term? Do I just need to buy the cage and stick her in it with the pan and ignore the howling 'til she goes?

I was gonna ask if you could get some of the litter and crate her until she uses it. rowdy had to be crated for a bit after his surgery (he attempted to climb/jump the first day he was home and ripped a claw and I wasn't willing to take any more chances with his more delicate surgery wound) and he acclimated surprisingly fast, though I'm sure the drugs he was on helped

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

speaking of teenagers

she is truly getting large and also much less fuzzy, I don't know what happened, who is this cat

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Crocobile posted:

He just jumped down and started licking his little cat dick.
:cripes:

rowdy still does this all the time to be honest. any kind of fuzzy blanket is at risk. figured it was because he was fixed late.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 1, 2023

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

as I'm sure you can tell from the specks of green on the blanket, this was mid-nip bender

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

confined to prevent climbing sins (this cat is obsessed with climbing things in the most aggressive way possible)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Luna is in her crate and still pretty furious. she's not having a good time with her morphine at all, poor thing. The vet even said she was terrified and hiding there the whole time. she seems a lot less terrified now but still very mad that she has to have this cone on

Roosevelt posted:

mighty morphine power ranger

so instead I take joy in the tippy zone

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

went to check luna's weight and she's still a bit smaller than tippy at about 6 and a half pounds. during her time out and about today she immediately attempted to climb the cat tree using nothing but jumps and claws and now she's in baby jail again

good luck jet!!!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

mister kitty .... what a handsome little lad

I can't believe I'm expected to keep Luna in this cone for another week and change. She hates it so loving much. even mass feeding of treats won't appease her and her claws are growing back fast

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

get her a comfy collar instead. she might hate it less, at least

I've got an old bread-shaped one from when Rowdy had his surgery (we had to replace his cone like five times because he kept shredding them while trying to get them off) but I'm slightly concerned it's going to be too big for her. I'll probably test it out later. She's mostly pretty well behaved but I let her take off the cone to eat because it's too big for her tiny face, and putting it back on is an ordeal every time.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I'm actually unsure myself, might vary from vet to get. last cat I had spayed they didn't give a cone (though I had a lot less stuff she could climb anyway so I had to worry about that less), and when Samus was fixed she didn't have to get coned either. I've seen her licking a little at the stitches when I let her wash for a few minutes after eating before putting the cone back on, but I stop her and she doesn't seem like she's trying to pull them out. I think for Luna they might be playing it safe because they gave her dissolving stitches and didn't plan for a follow up appointment.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

unrestrained, the wild radar dish returns to her perch atop a reclining chair

godspeed jet. rowdy has poop issues but his are all constipation which is much less annoying to deal with and just results in him dragging his rear end around like a dog. kisses for jet tho

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

tippy was so sweet and lovey dovey with the cone on. now she has gone full kitten and is chasing the other cats all over the place and getting into fights with spud. she also escapes every time i open the door, which is frequently. since she has 99% stealth, speed and evasion it's getting pretty annoying. think i'm going to make her wear it again :devil:

let the cone off Luna for a bit last night and when I found her wrestling with the other cats a bit later, the incision was noticably pinker and looks like she might have pulled a stitch so she's also been reconed

tried the bread e-collar but she's just too small for it to be workable, it's for a much larger cat

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2023

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

is there maybe a room where you could put him where he can't climb or jump much but still can have room to roam a little, a hiding spot, food and water away from litter etc? bathrooms are a common one . it's a step up from crating and I know it's common for pet surgery and injury recovery. it was a really common answer when I was looking for advice on keeping luna chill after her spay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Luna is out of her cone, the poor thing threw up the other night and got it all over the inside of it and got some back in her mouth as a result :( since her scar's been looking good I just took it off. She's been fussy about eating the last couple days, but usually will eat all her food once she's been coaxed a bit with treats. wondering if it tasting like her puke is putting her off. it just makes me so nervous after the scare in January.