Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MikeJF posted:

A feral cat in Australia will kill something like 1500 native animals a year on average. And our native ecology is teetering on the edge in a way most other countries don't realise, with cats being the biggest threat. So we don't exactly go out of our way to make them comfortable. Same reason we don't have TNR programs. The R would be incredibly irresponsible - the life of one feral cat is not worth the thousands of dead native animals that releasing it would allow.

Our national science body is actually working on weaponising cat plagues to wipe them out, in much the same way we weaponised myxomatosis and calicivirus against rabbits. :shrug: They promise they won't release it without a vaccine.

Will Australia ever figure out that maybe bioweapons for pest control is the dumbest loving idea we've seen since someone had the idea to use nukes for landscaping?

Probably not, given their track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

duckfarts posted:

be careful with your turky

Also with your jerky.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can understand the people going "get over it".

When you get a cat, you should know it's likely you'll have to put it down one day.

There's times when keeping the cat alive just isn't worth the suffering; and once the cat's dead, there's nothing to be done anymore.

It's understandable if you can't get over it right away, but there's no innate worth in mourning dead cats. Most posters in this thread will do everything reasonable to keep their cats alive and happy, but a cat's lifespan is a lot shorter than a human's. At that point, might as well be happy for the time you had; regret and mourning will not reverse death.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
On the territory issues - I've literally never had a problem with that when introducing a kitten to an adult cat. Introductions have also always been easy with kittens.

And two cats has been way easier than one cat. Ended up with three cats because a family member moved to a no-pet apartment - still not really more difficult than one cat.

A single bored cat causes way more destruction than three cats. I'm pretty sure I'd have space for more than one extra cat still before I'd be at that level of noise and destruction.

In conclusion, get all the cats.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sweet As Sin posted:

Mischy and Sansa play tag! Mischy makes a lot of weird noises but I'm happy he's getting more excersize. He's getting chubby.

You know we gotta see this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

devmd01 posted:

wasn't home but that'll happen soon enough. I did not have camera ready, but babby walked up to pepper and booped her earlier. :3::kimchi:

Tape GoPro to babby.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Josh Lyman posted:

yo upgrade that iphone 4

It could be a 4S.

4S is still fine right?

Right?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Golden-i posted:

Caught Refurb in a rainbow on accident

How does Refurb feel about gay marriage?

Please answer with a picture.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Golden-i posted:

I'm working on the interrogation as we speak

https://vine.co/v/i9jYrQvWKKF

A mealy mouthed reply.

Please post Refurb talking while eating for comparison purposes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Geirskogul posted:

The kitten is as playful as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjczlJhwebA

Except, until, he discovered this toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpCRsiFLZ8w

He's totally happy and overly playful and energetic 100% of the time he is not in contact with this toy. I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOurAbRc-9g

You ARE aware that one of these videos shows your dick, right?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Echeveria posted:

Don't care, post kitten (minus dick, which I didn't notice).

He caught himself in a mirror for a few seconds. Reflective surfaces are tricky. The lesson here is to have a good editor when filming naked.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I dunno why you put "play" in quotes. Lego's clearly capable of hurting Beetle, and aware of it, but doesn't, instead just thwapping him when he goes too far. That's pretty much gentle play by cat standards.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

He woke up while I was taking that picture

He is very, very shocked because of this invasion of his privacy. How would you feel like if someone kept photographing you while you slept?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Rokit status: doesn't want to get his annual distemper shot. otherwise, healthy, weighs 12lbs

Oh no Rokit.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

So is that incoming or outgoing?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Echeveria posted:

Guys, Abel hurt himself really bad last night. We woke up at 2am to a loud THWUMP. My husband went looking and found Abel growl-crying in the basement. The best we can figure is he fell off the ledge above the stairs and fell about 20 feet. We went to the e vet and they did an x-ray of his paws, which came back normal, and the vet gave him pain meds and we came home. He climbed up on my pillow and shook and shook, till finally the meds kicked in and he calmed down and slept.

Then this morning I was scritching him and he rolled over purring and hollered out in pain. Then he jumped off the bed and hollered out again. We went back to the e vet, did more x-rays and exams, and they couldn't get him pain free enough to do x-rays till they gave him morphine. They figure he sprained his left paw pretty bad and bruised his ribs, since nothing comes back on the x-rays, and we narrowed down his pain pretty well.

I'm beside myself worried about him, he's mostly just sitting next to his food dish looking sad. We've got him isolated in our spare room, and it obviously hurts to bend down and eat, buthe won't eat if we raise the bowls. I don't really know what happened and I'm so worried something else is going on.

Maybe the second e-vet visit was overkill. Probably nothing more than a sprain that'll heal in a few weeks.

Though obviously it's hard to not worry when it's your pet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

he was so vocal and started purring right away and basically Irwin is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCrVGP6LSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ewyc1z5oE

You should probably take him home to see if Leland gets along with him.

Adopt him first though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Post pictures of your new cat. :colbert:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Post Irwin.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I forgot to mention that I got a new camera

I should take more Irwin pics

ftfy

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Also I visited Irwin yesterday. He's getting big. He wasn't very vocal yesterday, he was being fed just as I arrived and then he went to sleep

Adopt the Irwin.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

minivanmegafun posted:

she's only holding one, you should hold onto the other

Refurb has clearly proven this is not strictly necessary.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I need positive kitten integration anecdotes

lie to me

I've tossed cats younger than five years in the same room as the first introduction multiple times.

It's always worked. They were friends within the day.

This is with healthy, young cats with no trauma in their past, and it's basically the laziest, least sensible way of doing it - but cats tend to get along as long as there's no reason for them to be scared.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The way I see it, you've now got two options. You can adopt the Irwin, and then keep Leland and Irwin separate but aware of each other until they get used to it.

Or you can toss them in the same room and record it.

... both can work just fine, but the first one is the responsible option.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well nobody can say you didn't bring this on yourself.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Any kitten is a good kitten, but you should talk with the shelter staff for them to identify one with a Leland-compatible personality.

Irwin's a good cat, and all good cats deserve homes, so now you can give a home to another.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shifty Pony posted:

tell them to contact you if Irwin comes back.

it happens depressingly often and for the dumbest reasons. Winston got returned because he kept unplugging the person's TV.

And Irwin is super vocal, so if he got adopted as an only cat, he might well be too vocal for a lot of people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

She's kind of a dickhead.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Josh Lyman posted:

cool ginger poly

Did you mean to type that in the search bar?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CherryCola posted:

is it bad that my kitten is eating cat food? I've given up on keeping these assholes away from each others' bowls

It's fine. Adult cat food just has more roughage. So, more poops.

Kitten food is optimal, but not necessary.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

same

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That's one chatty cat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

holocaust bloopers posted:

you all should get a moo

Sure I'll just walk over to the Moo store.

THEY'RE ALL OUTTA MOOS YOU HAVE THEM ALL.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

holocaust bloopers posted:

moo met Daisy, screamed at her and then hid in a sock drawer.

Video isn't loading.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I like Winston.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm surrounded by 4 Norwegian Forest cat kittens and they are seriously the biggest shits ever. Pics next week because I'm phone posting from Helsinki and my images are huge and I can't work out how to make them reasonable sized

Pop by the local library, email them to yourself and edit on their computers. They got computers for that. Or did a few years back.

Hell-Stinky smells like piss and ash, but at least they have ok tech. Also you can grab unlimited 256kbit/s phone data for about 7eur (for a month) ooor 21mbit/s for 90 eurocents a day as prepaids, in case you didn't know.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Cats are :mediocre:

Post dogface.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

Cats are :mediocre:

Post dogface.

No wait cats are pretty decent.