Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

barnold posted:

i was told that i should post my cat here so i am posting this fuckin cat

this… this is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hugging my ~20 year old cat rn

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i get to cat sit my friend's cat later this month because he is going on vacation and i am really looking forward to it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsFv2xYoLyL/

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my cat is old as hell, probably at least 20-21 but not sure exactly because she was a stray and maybe 2-3 when my ex and and I picked her up in 2005. has outlived every one of her kittens (she had a couple litters while she was a stray, we adopted them out to family). every year I am like "she probably doesn't have very long left" but the years keep going by. lately tho she's gotten quite lazy with the litter box and doesn't bury anything. she will stand with only her back legs in the litter and just go, but sometimes it seems like she doesn't stand far enough in and pees on the floor? she is still eating and drinking a normal amount but i know the kidneys will likely be what goes first, as is common.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

would tickle

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my elderly cat has developed incontinence issues lately, she occasionally pees in her sleep, but otherwise is eating and drinking like normal. I am fully expecting that the beginning of the end regarding her health may be coming soon. In the meantime though, she's been intentionally peeing on the couch cushion where she first had an accident. I've soaked it in odor remover and washed it multiple times with a vacuum upholstery cleaner, but she still thinks the couch is her new litter box (always the exact same spot). I have been putting things on the couch to prevent her from jumping up on there at night or when I leave but it's a hassle and I don't always remember. Any tips for discouraging this? Not sure if there is some lingering smell that she picks up on or if it's just a new annoying habit.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

graph posted:

is there anything better than a sleeping comfy kitty ?

two cats at the same time, man

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

took my ~20 yr old girl to the vet for a health check for no reason other than she is old as balls

overall she is pretty healthy. she has some arthritis which is giving her hip pain, and I am going to look at pain medication for that. a heart murmur which could be nothing, and isn’t affecting her right now, but something to be aware of. good oral health.

a good kitty

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Roosevelt posted:

lmk if you find anything out. Suzie Q has been having hip problems, being an ancient bobtail that is constantly being harassed by a kitten. i'm still trying to find a vet who isn't an idiot hell fucker to help with this

the gist i got is that there are 3 options. a relatively new medication that you administer once per month and its like $100 per. a second one that is about $30/mo, administered daily but is hard on the kidneys, so it requires ongoing bloodwork to determine if it’s doing harm. and a third that is about the same monthly cost, not as effective, and doesn’t require tests, and needs to be given morning and night.

I don’t remember the names of any of them lol

I’m not too keen on the option that requires ongoing tests because old cats are already at risk of kidney failure, plus frequent vet visits are stressful

option 4 that I very likely won’t pursue, but crossed my mind and I would only consider if it was possible to dose safely: thc

i know cbd for pets is a thing and I have no doubt people have likely tried to give their pets weed but i am unaware of any legit ways to do this

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 12, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, there are def polydactyls who just have extra non-opposed toes, or both kinds. It can get pretty crazy.

when i was a kid my uncle had a farm cat with an absurd amount of toes and his name was johnny-many-toes (the cat, not my uncle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

drillcat will kill your family