Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Kallor, I think you might have misread 2 are attacking the pdf and 2 are attacking the gun crew. If the gun crew didnt get attacked they could help out, I would hate to get hit by a basilisk round in direct fire mode =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallor
Apr 11, 2008

See their strength; see how easily you fall to their muscle and skill.

wjs5 posted:

Kallor, I think you might have misread 2 are attacking the pdf and 2 are attacking the gun crew. If the gun crew didnt get attacked they could help out, I would hate to get hit by a basilisk round in direct fire mode =/

I think I assumed that all 4 of them were going to be too close for the Basilisk to launch an artillery shell at them. But if thats not true, then definatly take out the crew asap. No guardsman wants an artillery shell fired straight to the face. :smith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Not only can the crewmen give aid to the fireteam in some way, but the guy on top of the Baz has a vox unit. Someone's feeding him coordinates, after all, so he can easily scream back at them about the attack. Silence him, and perhaps the perpetually-disorganized PDF won't notice his lack of talkback until we've blown the battery and disappeared back into the shadows. WE AM THE NIGHT.

Tias posted:

Woah now, I haven't put them in a "kill off category" or anything. They are the most likely if Rat's acquaintances to die right now because they are the only other characters in the current scene, not the other way around. The dice decide whether they actually kick the bucket or not.

True, I just found it funny how I wound up putting the two people you named as potentially die-able on the more personally-lethal of the two missions.

But if Trantor takes a couple dozen bullets for the team, I don't think he'll be missed.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Im pretty sure they can bring the gun down to horizontal but yeah there are alot of explosives sitting around......... wait a minute. If the ammo is close to the gun using the satchel on it might just take all of them heretics out. They may not be able to aim at us true. Though yeah some one would have a vox unit near the arty so they can adjust fire. If we can spot the vox we need to take that down firstist.

edit found a pic of it on a wiki. I have seen pictures of it pointed at a horizontal and as it has tracks it should be able to turn quickly.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 25, 2009

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Basilisk position is about 30 or 40 metres away from you, and while it is not impossible to lower the barrel and try to frag you, it requires A) time, which you can negate by moving closer and B) cooperation from all crewmen, which you can disrupt by attacking them.

The vox is a backpack unit slung across one side of the crew platform, reachable by both crew members and some of their guards. A direct lasgun hit, if you roll enough damage, could take it out, but it's a bit harder to hit than a man-sized target.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Another suggestion:

1. Rig up a bomb/demo charge/grenade right where we are now to a timer.
2. Creep across from our current position so that we are on the opposite side of the tank from it.
3. When the bomb goes off and the crewmen/PDF are wondering WTF is going on, we jump them in the manner described by blade.

Great CYOA! The roboluv has been so sloooow these days.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Another suggestion:

1. Rig up a bomb/demo charge/grenade right where we are now to a timer.
2. Creep across from our current position so that we are on the opposite side of the tank from it.
3. When the bomb goes off and the crewmen/PDF are wondering WTF is going on, we jump them in the manner described by blade.

Great CYOA! The roboluv has been so sloooow these days.

While Quint might muster the technical know-how to mount a timer to the frag grenade, he doesn't have one :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The basilisk could only turn quickly if it had main/both engines running, with driver at the helm. In a firing position it'd be dug in, single engine/generator running, driver running as gun crew. No danger from the main or hull gun if we attack from the side/rear.

Would a grenade ignite the ammo?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cakefool posted:

The basilisk could only turn quickly if it had main/both engines running, with driver at the helm. In a firing position it'd be dug in, single engine/generator running, driver running as gun crew. No danger from the main or hull gun if we attack from the side/rear.

Would a grenade ignite the ammo?

Quint's has no knowledge of demolitions save pull pin, throw away from self. The shells seem very massive, so Quint wouldn't bet on it.

You're right about the Basilisk, though. If you don't run straight at the barrel you should be relatively safe. The blast radius is massive, so they probably would not fire it at closing enemies regardless.

Tias
May 25, 2008

D-Day, evening
998.301.M39
Surface of UH69 II

After a short suggestions from Trantor and Hax to just open fire, you snap at the team. "You sump scum talk like you think. Don't you think those reinforcements will be here in seconds if we just open up. We should split, and focus on removing the guy by the vox."

"Here, you're gonna need this" You end, passing Atrix your hand grenade. The scout master nods approvingly, then waves Trantor with him, and they clamber a bit down the berm where they can spray the closest PDF troops with lasgun fire, while you and Hax move to the opposite end of the berm for a shot at the crewmen. The Basilisk fires it's gun again, and you all flatten instinctively at the monstrous tremor it produces in the ground.

Trying to get your bearings, you suddenly see Atrix lobbing the grenade! Almost in slow-motion, you see the explosive sail through the air in a low arc, landing among three of the Basilisks guard. You curse the timing, and wheeze at Hax to get a move on, but he is already aiming his rifle and the Basilisk operator, and you can only do the same, resolving quietly to requisition a vox or comm-bead the next time you volunteer for such a rat-brained mission.

Taken by surprise, the three guards take the full brunt of the blast, two buffeted away by the shockwave, while the third mans head and torso is literally peeled apart by the trauma and fragments, leaving a river of gore on the ground! Getting your bearings you aim at the operators chest, loosing a single-shot bolt that hits him in the chest. Reeling from the impact and wreathed in smoke, he crouches on the tanks platform, trying to make himself as small as he can, and Hax' shot sails harmlessly over him.

On the other end of the hill, Trantor hoses one of the guardmen down with semi-automatic fire, striking him in the calf and groin. The man seems unfazed, and raises his autogun with a cruel sneer. The scene begins to break down in chaos, as the crewmen fire their pistols at you, and the unhurt guardsmen rake Atrix and Trantor with fully automatic fire! You can't see if they are hurt through the haze, but your Guard-issue flak armour should hold them together for long enough to finish the job. The crewmen's stub shots thud harmlessly into your cover, and you fire your las on semi-auto at the operator. He hurls himself away from a las-bolt that would have bit straight into his head. You curse your luck, but thank the Emperor that it got him away from the vox that he was trying to operate! Hax does right this second time, aiming a las-bolt that strikes the Comm backpack unit on the platform, melting the casing and destroying the vox in a shower of spark. As he mutters a prayer of forgiveness to the Mechanicus, you note with glee that Atrix has shot another of the guardmen down, setting him on fire - he cries, a pitiful keening that rips across the noise of battle, as he rolls around to put out the fire.

You must have spent too much time looking over, for one of the crew members hits you square in the chest with his stub gun! The flak absorbs the shot harmlessly, but you crawl down the hill, cursing uncontrollably at your ineptitude. The other shots go wide, and you resolve to take them out for good this time. Atrix makes good on the intention, downing one of the previously unhurt guardsmen with a trio of shots. You weather the return fire, and burn the operator to death by raining semi-auto fire on him! Hax grazes another of the crew members, and they rout in panic, tempting the two guardsmen still standing into running with them!

Hax runs down to their position, killing the crying PDF trooper and scooping up his autogun, fashioning a crude bipod from a piece of his equipment, so he can cover your approach. The rest of you make your way there, and Atrix gets out the demolition charge, ramming it into the Basilisks control panel and quickly activating it. You note he and Trantor are bleeding from multiple autogun bullet wounds, but seem to be in shape to fight. Done with his job, Atrix gives you a grim look, barking final orders. "It's armed, we get the frag out of here right now! I got our escape covered." As you run, the scout master whips out a small object you recognize as a comm-bead, hurriedly whispering a string of coordinates into it, and then you're off, stopping only to loot an autogun.

When you are clear across the hill and down in a ditch, you hear a string of explosions. First the dull Krump of the Basilisk control rig blowing up, then several mortar rounds peppering the area, friendly artillerists covering your bail-out.

Back at the camp you're greeted with cheers when word gets around that the camp isn't going to get shelled any longer, and even Atellus grants you a word of commendation and permission to take a day off.

((Here we are! Great rolls on the grenade gave you a head start, though we had terrible initiative. Atrix' little backup covered your escape without further engagement, and I think Rat fully deserves the 200 XP he gets for the mission! I have to go now, but I'll update again soon with a new adventure and plans for XP expenditure!))

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I dont think that could have gone much better, nice write up.

The day off is a rare blessing here. we should take stock of what items we have and possible see if we can do without some of it. It might be possible to trade for things we need more.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hot drat, that went swimmingly. Do they still make Guinness 40,000 years in the future? The boy deserves at least a couple pints.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

All in a days work slaughtering rebel scum.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
In the cold GRIMDARK future there is only Guinness. (or possibly amasec. I get confused) I feel that Rat needs to impress upon his superiors how much he wants to go kill more rebels with stabbing tools, and then get piss drunk for the rest of his day off getting piss drunk and gambling.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

In the cold GRIMDARK future there is only Guinness. (or possibly amasec. I get confused) I feel that Rat needs to impress upon his superiors how much he wants to go kill more rebels with stabbing tools, and then get piss drunk for the rest of his day off getting piss drunk and gambling.

And get his drunk rear end jailed and thrown into a penal legion?

That does not sound like a very good idea... unless you are in Schaeffer's Last Chancers (which is pretty bad anyways :v: )

Kallor
Apr 11, 2008

That all seemed to work realy well. Especially for Atrix who seemed to kill at least 3 of the PDF troopers

Tias
May 25, 2008

Atrix put 2 out of action, actually - but as it usually is in Dark Heresy, he managed it with assists from Trantor, as you have to shoot off a characters 'buffer' of wounds before you can make kill-shots. He did incapacitate one and killed one with his las-rifle. If the grenade counts, he got 3.

Upgrade later today

Kallor
Apr 11, 2008

Yeah, I was counting the grenade aswell. Plus I know practically nothing about the Dark Heresy rule system. Keep up the cool work, eagarly awaiting updates :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

D-Day+1, early afternoon
998.301.M39
Surface of UH69 II

You sit in a conveniently arranged pavilion-style tent, watching a light rain falling on your fellow troopers. You're all a little more used to it by now, but the cold water falling like the vengeful Emperor's piss from the terrifyingly large open skies do nothing to help morale in a 56th that has had it's first drop, combat patrols and enemy artillery. All in a day's work, eh?

Smiling to yourself for not being out in it, you consider your day off and appreciate the possibilities attached to it.

- You notice that the rest of your kit, tent and mess stuff have been dropped, and you set it up quickly. This might mean that Vrokvrok and the other camp followers have dropped as well. This idea is compounded by the large numbers of people scrounging loot in the no mans land, but this could be friendly troops out of uniform, UH-69 civilians or other scavengers. Anyway, you could see yourself picking up some nice gear for the rest of your pay, or perhaps by trading some of your stuff in.

- You know something is about to happen, as Atellus and the other brass is spooked by orderlies coming and going. Come to think of it, you've seen uniforms not of the regiment around camp, and it could be worth the time to ask around if the NCOs or perhaps adepts know anything.

- Perhaps you should just give it a good long rest to let your gun wound heal properly or maybe have a trained medico have a look at it, instead?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Have a medic look at the wound, and follow his advice. If he clears us for loving around doing poo poo, then ask the NCOs about what's going on!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Quint is no medicae by any stretch of the word, but he knows the wound is treated and won't break up (otherwise it would have happened during the artillery mission). It's just that putting in a couple of hours with a proper medic could get us more wounds back before tomorrow.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Being wounded and sent into the field is no good, time to see the medic.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Medic first then sort out gear and scrounge ammo etc if we need it.

Kallor
Apr 11, 2008

See the medic about getting patched up, and prehaps trying to blag some medical supplies? Then if theres time see about buying/selling gear.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Look for Vrokvrok, then take a nap. If poo poo's gonna go down, we'll find out eventually, right? No sense worrying til then. And since we're still good from the last patch on the injury, so a nap seems in order.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Medic it up, then see if any of the higher-up looking people also in the care of the departmento Medicae know what's going on, then go to sleep. There's bound to be a adept ferreting info from the wounded tents to the command, maybe he heard some stuff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Seems like we're reaching an agreement. There'll be time for about two of the things, which seems to be medic and gear, with an optional attempt to pick up regiment scuttlebutt at the medic's tent.

My things are not here, so an update will first happen in the morning, but if any of you have the books you're free to suggest which advances to buy for Quint. We have 275 XP at present.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Just caught up on the thread and I'll be following and voting now. Just to sate my own curiosity about how it would be handled in this game: How would Colonel Schaeffer be handled? In the books the reason he is hardly ever injured and always succeeds is given that it is because his faith in the Emperor is absolute. Would that just count as having a ton of fate points? Also would it be possible for Quint to reach a similar level of sheer bad assery?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Just caught up on the thread and I'll be following and voting now. Just to sate my own curiosity about how it would be handled in this game: How would Colonel Schaeffer be handled? In the books the reason he is hardly ever injured and always succeeds is given that it is because his faith in the Emperor is absolute. Would that just count as having a ton of fate points? Also would it be possible for Quint to reach a similar level of sheer bad assery?

Well, Colonel Schaeffer has been run over by a tank, had his arm melted off by a plasma weapon, had his eyes replaced with those of a convicted murderer, his spine broken and probably alot more. :black101:

I don't think Quint would be able to do that kind of stuff without some serious help.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Even Shaeffer was an ensign once.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Note that the fiction is not made to conform to Dark Heresy, but as your GM I would give the following answer:

A) Schaeffer has a ton of fate points. While a trooper-NCO-Lieutenant-etc. he performed some truly heroic feats, and was awarded fate points for them.

B) He has taken an elite advance at some point, by which the shadowy leaders of some project or other (Divisio Biologis of the AM would be my bet) took him in for experimentation, as he evidently had some talent for getting things done. This is a custom elite advance, taking the form of him regenerating painfully as long as 1) he survives the injury at all and 2) he spends time in a creepy facility healing the injury, likely incurring insanity points, corruption points or uncontrolled metastasizing, possibly all three :iamafag:

C) As both these things can definitely happen in this game (although you will have to take stupid and awesome risks to get there), then yes, Quint can reach a similar level of sheer bad assery.

And, you know, if there is great sentiment for it when and if he reaches a suitable level of advancement then sure, he can try to get such an advance.

Also, behind with some work, so an update probably won't be before tomorrow or saturday.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 1, 2009

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I would have voted and what not but work has been busy and I havent had a chance... will look into the skills later today and make some suggestions.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Im loving this thread more than I thought, and wish it more frequent, That said I will be eagerly waiting for an update at the weekend :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Touchdown Boy posted:

Im loving this thread more than I thought, and wish it more frequent, That said I will be eagerly waiting for an update at the weekend :)

Thanks, it means a lot to me. I'm kind of disassociated from the things I write, and as such I have a hard time judging wether it's good or not.

Although unemployed, I have a ton of volunteer work and I also GM a PBP Shadowrun game here, as well as a Shadowrun game IRL, and it's taking up a ton of time. I will update tomorrow, I hope!

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Well after looking at the book I think Ballistics Skill (Simple) would be a good one for 100 (its a +5). At that point we move up to the Guard advances (yay we made it past being a conscript). I was thinking maybe dodge (100) which alows a save from an attack each round on an agility test. I dunno though......

Tias
May 25, 2008

wjs5 posted:

Well after looking at the book I think Ballistics Skill (Simple) would be a good one for 100 (its a +5). At that point we move up to the Guard advances (yay we made it past being a conscript). I was thinking maybe dodge (100) which alows a save from an attack each round on an agility test. I dunno though......

We are already ABLE to dodge, and have done so several times, but since it's a basic skill and we don't have it, we check against Quint's halved agility skill. I'd say Dodge is a must if we want to live from now on, however.

+BS is always good, particularly for a guardsman in service.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Being able to hit your target and not be hit are vital skills I think. Let's do it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Those sound good. I lack the books myself so I'll just trust the first thing I read.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Being able to hit your target and not be hit are vital skills I think. Let's do it.

Vital? More like GODDAMN STUPID to not have!

Considering Guardsmen's got the WH40k equivalent to paper armor and rifle-mounted flashlights, I think that more agility to survive a deadly blow and higher chance to actually HIT the foe (hopefully in a weak spot) sounds pretty bloody important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Koorisch posted:

Vital? More like GODDAMN STUPID to not have!

Considering Guardsmen's got the WH40k equivalent to paper armor and rifle-mounted flashlights, I think that more agility to survive a deadly blow and higher chance to actually HIT the foe (hopefully in a weak spot) sounds pretty bloody important!

Now now, the Emperor has dictated your squad's weaponry! It is potent and blessed and argh who am I kidding. You fight with the Guard you have, not the Guard you want trooper! :commissar:

I'd say you got it right, I'd start with Dodge and +BS myself.

Update tonight.

• Locked thread