Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

This thread is about The Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan's zany twitter updates since he re-united the band in 2005. The current band members are Billy Corgan, Jeff Schroeder (guitar), Mike Byrne (drums), and Nicole Fiorentino (bass) Billy fired everyone from the band again, but for some reason hired Tommy Lee as a studio drummer for their new album in 2015.

Jimmy Chamberlain left the band in 2007, leaving Billy as the only original member.

In July 2007, The Smashing Pumpkins released their first album since the breakup, called Zeitgeist. Later next year, Billy released an acoustic EP called American Gothic.

In September 2009, Billy introduced plans for an ambitious 44-song "album" that will span 11 four-track EPs called Teargarden by Kaleidyscope.

In May and November of 2010, Volume 1 and 2 of Teargarden are released, titled Songs for a Sailor and The Solstice Bare, respectively.

In April of 2011, Billy announced a new full length album part of the Teargarden collection, called Oceania (later released in June of 2012). He also announced plans to re-issue every previous Smashing Pumpkins album including bonus songs and live footage (he even kind of hinted at a possible release of the final Metro show in 2000 [maybe as a bonus DVD for the Machina re-issue??]). The re-issues will be available on both CD and Vinyl, which means we'll actually get a proper non-limited release of Machina II.

As of Fall 2014, Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Aeroplane Flies High, and Adore have been re-issued.

Billy has also done a lot of insane stuff in the past few years, like briefly dating both Tila Tequila and Jessica Simpson (not at the same time unfortunatley). Read some of that juicy gossip here - http://noisey.vice.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-billy-corgan-losing-his-goddamn-mind

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yergie
Jan 22, 2007
I think this might be something to watch for. Siamese Dream was pretty much all Corgan anyways, as was Mellon Collie, so if he has learned to self edit this should be great.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
God thats a stupid name though.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Smashing Pumpkins never should have reunited...or to state it more accurately, Billy Corgan should not have resurrected the name.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Yeah "Zeitgeist" was boring, and any later single releases were really underwhelming, but I still live in hope that Corgan may release a not-terrible record. :kiddo:

:ninja: edit: I also realized that most of the songs on the aforementioned record were ALL IN THE SAME KEY!

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
That may some of the worst album cover artwork I have ever seen in my entire life.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok I'm interested, he's taking on some absurdly grand project (something he seems to handle much better than chopping himself down to a single disc of material) and is giving this all away for free too. Whilst I'd much prefer if he said, "Ok gently caress it, I'm gonna rerecord Machina II so you can all finally hear that kickass album at a quality similar to Machina I" but a 44 track psychadelica project will do just fine too.

I am a little concerned about how his vocals will sound however. His voice peaked with Machina, and on Zeitgist he sounded absolutely terrible in comparison, which is one of the main reasons I find the album so dire in the first place. Hopefully he sorts that out though.

As a follow-up, I'd appreciate it if his next project was another cyber rock thing with him running around in a black cape looking like a vampire again, that poo poo was tight.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

I am a little concerned about how his vocals will sound however. His voice peaked with Machina, and on Zeitgist he sounded absolutely terrible in comparison, which is one of the main reasons I find the album so dire in the first place. Hopefully he sorts that out though.
I think this is my only problem with Billy Corgan's projects. His voice was something special for the first couple of Smashing albums, definitely the right voice at the right time in regards to that specific sounding rock music in the era it was created in. Billy Corgan seems to have good ideas from a production and marketing standpoints, it's just he personally shouldn't be singing the material that is being written.

Sort of outside this discussion but since Kanye has been in the news for BP3 and his little outburst, it's made me think of why we don't see more major Rock producers anymore and maybe that is at least partially to blame for such awful rock music for the entire 2000's.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind his voice nowadays, but honestly I hope he is a little more creative with the lyrics. I don't know if I can handle any more "come on, come on, come on" in his songs.

Zeitgeist had some potentially great sounding songs, but they ended up coming out muddy due to the production, I think.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 17, 2009

brrrger
Feb 4, 2006
I wasn't too excited for this initially until I read this:
The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

Although I really did love Zeitgeist as well. I know I'm in the minority but I do think it contains a few of his best songs: Tarantula, Come On Let's Go, Bring The Light, God And Country, for example.

As long as it doesn't sound anything like Adore or Machina 1, I'll probably be happy.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Yergie posted:

I think this might be something to watch for. Siamese Dream was pretty much all Corgan anyways, as was Mellon Collie, so if he has learned to self edit this should be great.

Given that he is releasing a 44-song "album" I don't think he's figured out self editing at all. On the plus side, with 44 songs to choose from, we can do the editing for him.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

CornHolio posted:

God thats a stupid name though.

What loving band have you been listening to? Was Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness any less stupid, even by a fraction?

No, this is actually something I'm mildly looking forward to now. Billy is at his best when he's insane, and maybe Jimmy's departure will make for some genuine psychedelic rage instead of that hollow crap on Zeitgeist or that flowery poo poo on Zwan.

EDIT: But for the love of GOD would somebody please break into Billy's studio and start deleting vocal layers by the dozens? I can't stand any more Army of Billy vocals.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

citizenlowell posted:

Given that he is releasing a 44-song "album" I don't think he's figured out self editing at all. On the plus side, with 44 songs to choose from, we can do the editing for him.

This. After the gradual release ridiculousness is over with and someone else wades through the crap for me I'll be excited for the remaining six track EP.

CrowT.Robot
Aug 31, 2004

"That's where I almost lost my virginity!

spankari posted:

I wasn't too excited for this initially until I read this:
The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

Although I really did love Zeitgeist as well. I know I'm in the minority but I do think it contains a few of his best songs: Tarantula, Come On Let's Go, Bring The Light, God And Country, for example.

As long as it doesn't sound anything like Adore or Machina 1, I'll probably be happy.

Ironically I did not like Zeitgeist and songs like Tarantula sounded like Billy trying to recapture the spotlight by writing very radio-friendly mid-2000s rock.

Adore on the other hand was the sound of a nervous breakdown and had good writing. Machina 1 was great for the most part, overdone symbolism aside, because he stuck to the style of rock-music writing that made them who they were.

Mind you, Adore was electro lo-fi Smashing Pumpkins done right - not the Depeche Mode-wannabe that his solo album The Future Embrace tried to be. Makes me really, really wonder how much of the 90s albums were tweaked by Iha and the producer they had at the time. Anything post-Machina has been either Billy alone or Billy with a yes-man producing and it hasn't yielded great results. To clarify the common wisdom is that Billy wrote all of Siamese Dream and 99% of MCIS and played most of the instruments on Siamese Dream during recording, but he did the same on Future Embrace/Zeitgeist with wildly different results.

CrowT.Robot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 17, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Complain all you want about the cover art or the title. The bottom line is that it's a free album. I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While I'm excited, I would be much more pumped if Butch Vig, Alan Moulder, or Flood were involved.

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001
Like stee, moanin' ludlow!
I'm hopeful that the album will turn out ok. Smashing Pumpkins has always been about Billy Corgan and his grandiose craziness, so this seems like it might be a return to form. We'll see.

Tyja
Jul 16, 2006

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.
It seems a great step in the right direction but I'm definitely going to reserve my judgment on the product until I hear it. Consider me intrigued though. The new Drummer has a Blog which is being updated throughout the recording and gives a little bit of incite into this album's creation.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

I'm calling it now.

Halfway through this endeavor Billy will throw a fit for one reason or other and cancel the whole thing.

Otherwise, cool idea. I like the sort of shotgun approach where his judgement plays a minimal role in song selection, and the entire thing just falls in the hands of the Internet.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I'm excited, I would be much more pumped if Butch Vig, Alan Moulder, or Flood were involved.

I'm on this wagon. Billy's nothing without a stellar producer, and you don't get any better than them.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've really liked most of their (his) newer output. The recent tour was polarizing as poo poo, but I think Zeitgeist and the other new stuff was really good and flew under the radar because of shitheads like Pitchfork rolling their eyes and turning up their Vampire Weekend.

Plus it's 44 songs for free. I find it funny that this guy is one of the pioneers of digital distribution with Machina, and all the credit goes to Radiohead and NIN (as much as I like those bands).

also adore was the pumpkins' best album deal with it

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

Plus it's 44 songs for free. I find it funny that this guy is one of the pioneers of digital distribution with Machina, and all the credit goes to Radiohead and NIN (as much as I like those bands).

Machina II has never been released digitally, that's why.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

At the very least its an interesting experiment with a new way of releasing songs. Who knows, there may be a fee interesting tracks. I actually liked Superchrist, the song he released over the net. If he can give me 44 of those for free who am I to complain.

The Remote Viewer posted:

Yeah he gave out 25 (?) vinyls to industry insiders and said "leak is where ever".

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I liked Zwan a lot, thought The Future Embrace was pretty bad, and found Zeitgeist/American Gothic to be a mish-mash of great and bad. I'll have little to no anticipation for this release, especially with Jimmy gone, but I hope Corgan re-captures some of his old touch.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

The Remote Viewer posted:

I remember getting a 320kbs download off smashingpumpkins.com though.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

FrenchToasty posted:

I remember getting a 320kbs download off smashingpumpkins.com though.

It was a rip of the vinyl, and not one made by the band, I don't think.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think even if half the songs are good I'll probably send Corgan some money.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

kalensc posted:

I liked Zwan a lot

:hfive:

Honestly, that's the last thing that I've really liked by him, but I keep getting excited because of all the good albums he did do.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Return to Sender posted:

Honestly, that's the last thing that I've really liked by him, but I keep getting excited because of all the good albums he did do.

I'm in two minds because I saw Zwan live and, as a band, they worked really well together. It was just after the album came out and they were tight, looked to be having a good time, and was pretty enjoyable. I saw Smashing Pumpkins afterwards just after 'Zeitgeist' came out and it wasn't very good. They weren't even that indulgent in terms of song choices that time either (which a lot of gigs were criticised for). It just sounded a bit lifeless and clinical, and Billy seemed miserable.

But still, free!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Everyone shits on the recent tour, and it does deserve its thrashings, but NOBODY seems to remember the first tour the new SP did after Zeitgeist came out. I suppose the big issue is that they avoided the AAA cities like NYC, Chicago, and LA, and went to Philly, Boston, Detroit, and Atlanta.

I wanted to jump off a cliff when I saw some of the setlists, and I learned that if I were near my phone, I could have gone to one. Tons of fan favorites and b-sides.

mode
Jul 13, 2003

Scratch

Captain Charisma posted:

Everyone shits on the recent tour, and it does deserve its thrashings, but NOBODY seems to remember the first tour the new SP did after Zeitgeist came out. I suppose the big issue is that they avoided the AAA cities like NYC, Chicago, and LA, and went to Philly, Boston, Detroit, and Atlanta.

I wanted to jump off a cliff when I saw some of the setlists, and I learned that if I were near my phone, I could have gone to one. Tons of fan favorites and b-sides.

The first Zeitgeist tour was A+++ Would Attend Again loving phenomenal. The Anniversary tour I hear NOTHING but bad reviews, but honestly... Billy rocked; the psychedelic portion was amazing -- Add Disarm, Landslide, and Soma? Yes, please! I wouldn't call one better than the other, because they were totally different.

Oh, and obligatory Ginger > D'arcy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly all he needed to do was shuffle around the setlists. The big problem is that he'd play a block of classics, then a block of new stuff, then a block of classics, then close with 45 minutes of jammy stuff. I liked his new stuff, but after almost a goddamn hour without an old song, it got old. The cardinal sin was not putting a fan favorite in the encore.

All he needed to do was add something like BWBW to the encore and shuffle around the songs so the new and old songs aren't in blocks but rather coexisting.

LeninsTomb
Aug 27, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

I was at the DC show for the record-release, and the set was over 3 hours long IIRC, and it was a perfect balance of new & old. Didn't bother with the anniversary tour because of the reviews.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=1231

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Just saw the info about how they have some 19yr old kid as their new drummer. Thought what the gently caress is this poo poo? Then I found his YouTube channel with this video. There's no replacing Jimmy, but that kid can drum. I like 1:05 the best, and if he's triple hitting that bass drum with a single pedal I'm even more impressed.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 1, 2009

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I caught the very first show on the anniversary tour and it was terrible. I had great memories of seeing them on the Mellon Collie tour in '97 and thought it'd be cool to check them out again in a small venue - the Adler Theater in Davenport, IA.

Not cool, and not a good show.

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.

ChesterJT posted:

Just saw the info about how they have some 19yr old kid as their new drummer. Thought what the gently caress is this poo poo? Then I found his YouTube channel with this video. There's no replacing Jimmy, but that kid can drum. I like 1:05 the best, and if he's triple hitting that bass drum with a single pedal I'm even more impressed.

I've only been playing for two years and I can do that, it's really not that impressive. The beginning was really cool though, it's from Mars Volta from the amazing Thomas Pridgen.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

MSPaintClock posted:

I've only been playing for two years and I can do that, it's really not that impressive. The beginning was really cool though, it's from Mars Volta from the amazing Thomas Pridgen.

I know the guy. He's really good (I'm a drummer myself/have played for 9 years).

edit: This might be confusing. I know Mike Byrne, the drummer for the Pumpkins, and he's really good. I don't know MSPaintClock.

grahm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 3, 2009

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MSPaintClock posted:

You are so awesome!

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.

ChesterJT posted:

You are so awesome!

I'm not bragging or anything I'm just saying it's not a big deal. Besides how do you brag and compliment in the same sentence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

MSPaintClock posted:

I'm not bragging or anything I'm just saying it's not a big deal. Besides how do you brag and compliment in the same sentence?

It's easy when you're complimenting yourself ;)

• Locked thread