Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«66 »
  • Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??

Grimey Drawer

All four songs from the first EP will be available for download when the other three songs are ready/finished. This is still a teaser, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

"What do you fear
most in the world?"

"The possibility that
love is not enough."

Well this is definitely surprising. I was expecting to hate the new material, but this song's awesome. Much proggier than anything SP's done before, and it works. I'm pretty interested to see how the EP will flow now.

precision
May 7, 2006

Double great.

Checking this thread and hearing "Song For a Son" immediately after posting in the Tori Amos thread is rather weird. This sounds, lyrically and musically, a lot like early Tori Amos, in a good way.

I'm very surprised at how good it is, honestly. loving bizarre. Agreeing that the guitar-heavy parts sound like Pink Floyd.

I think this would have to be the best song he's done since Mellon Collie, that's for sure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE GENERATOR

I was pretty much ready to give up on SP after G.L.O.W./Superchrist and F.O.L., and this is after a good 14 years of constant fanboyism. But then they had to go and release this song and now I can't help but like them again.

Damnit.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

This type of music really should have been Zwan. Then everyone would go 'hey, look at that, post-Pumpkins Billy continues to evolve as an artist, realises that straight alternative has been tapped out by him, and instead uses his song writing skills in a different area', and people might regard him as a really good musician. And all he had to do was write the songs he wanted to write and stop trying to be an alpha dog.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Billy has a weird inflection to his singing, the way he says "heart" (or is it "hat", I seriously can't tell) in particular. The first half of the song seriously sounds like it could be by Suede which is odd as hell.

It doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd though, can't imagine why anyone would say that unless that's the only "prog" thing they know. Also it's unfortunately pretty damned clear that the drummer is not Jimmy, he's serviceable but just kind of there, not great.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Great song but I'm not fond of the production, unless it's just my lovely laptop speakers. Having said that though the way he said "revolutions" sounded like he was trying to imitate Liam Gallagher, and now I really wish that this was being played by Oasis. gently caress

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yeah, this was one of my favorite new songs he played on the last tour and I'm glad it's getting such a good reaction.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

It's okay I guess....not good enough to get me back into SP though.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

I still hate the Smashing Pumpkins pretty much after Siamese Dream, but this song is far from the worst thing he could have done.

Mad Eddy
Jul 22, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Billy has a weird inflection to his singing, the way he says "heart" (or is it "hat", I seriously can't tell) in particular. The first half of the song seriously sounds like it could be by Suede which is odd as hell.

It doesn't sound anything like Pink Floyd though, can't imagine why anyone would say that unless that's the only "prog" thing they know. Also it's unfortunately pretty damned clear that the drummer is not Jimmy, he's serviceable but just kind of there, not great.

I agree, I mean there is going to be 44 fuckin' songs so I'm not gonna judge him yet, but it just feels empty.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The combination of lyrical content that's about a song rather than a song itself, and the strong emphasis on the vocals (seriously Billy turn that poo poo down) over the basic instrument background reminds of a Tenacious D b-side rather than a Smashing Pumpkins song.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

holy poo poo ow. I feel like I would really like this song but how can you guys listen to it with the vocals mixed so loving loudly.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

I too am put off by the production.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

precision posted:

Checking this thread and hearing "Song For a Son" immediately after posting in the Tori Amos thread is rather weird. This sounds, lyrically and musically, a lot like early Tori Amos, in a good way.

I'm very surprised at how good it is, honestly. loving bizarre. Agreeing that the guitar-heavy parts sound like Pink Floyd.

I think this would have to be the best song he's done since Mellon Collie, that's for sure.

Untitled? I thought that was great.

Also, not a fan of the post-machina Billy voice. What the hell are they doing in there? Well, scratch that, I know exactly what they're doing there, but whyyyy?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Yeah the vocals need to go further back. Not only would it sound better, but the unimpressive lyrics betray the whole "15 minutes of inspiration" genesis of the song and having them at the forefront makes it inexcusable. It's not a bad song, but it does sound like a B-side at best- with a little more work it could be great.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The vocals on Zeitgeist were so much loving worse, this is actually a step up, imo

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

DrChu posted:

The combination of lyrical content that's about a song rather than a song itself, and the strong emphasis on the vocals (seriously Billy turn that poo poo down) over the basic instrument background reminds of a Tenacious D b-side rather than a Smashing Pumpkins song.

haha yeah that was the other thing I thought immediately after about 20 seconds of the vocals.

It's not as embarrassing as some of the stuff he's released in the last decade or so but I really don't see this as an indicator of a return to quality.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

gently caress you Billy, you idiot. Get someone else to mix/produce your songs.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste

Song's okay. As a drummer, I'm not a huge fan of this new drummer just yet.

You can download an mp3 at smashingpumpkins.com, f y'all i.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

As a very casual Pink Floyd listener, it reminds me of them somewhat.

But those loud vocals are quite obnoxious. And they do shift the feel of the song towards Tenacious D, which seems below Billy's intentions and abilities.

LeninsTomb
Aug 27, 2002

Not hearing the Pink Floyd influence at all, my first thoughts were Zeppelin.

Pitchfork agrees, FWIW.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

If I had to use a band comparison everyone knows it sounded more like The Eagles than anything else to me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

LeninsTomb posted:

Not hearing the Pink Floyd influence at all, my first thoughts were Zeppelin.

Pitchfork agrees, FWIW.

I agree, as soon as they mentioned Stairway that's all I could hear in that opening progression.

As someone who jumped off the Smashing Pumpkins bandwagon back when Zwan was around, I'm frustrated to say that this is yet another nail in the coffin for me.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

How did I miss the stairway intro?

precision
May 7, 2006

Double great.

LuckySevens posted:

How did I miss the stairway intro?

Eh, the intro sounds more like "Karma Police" than "Stairway to Heaven" to me.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??

Grimey Drawer

So TMZ posted something about Billy apparently leaving a hotel with Jessica Simpson.

quote:

With rumors swirling that they are an item, Jessica Simpson put the final nail in the grunge rock coffin by being spotted leaving a NYC hotel the other day with former Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/09/jessi...kin-connection/

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

COMPUTERS!
COMPUTERS!
YAAAAAAAAY!

quote:

With rumors swirling that they are an item, Jessica Simpson put the final nail in the grunge rock coffin by being spotted leaving a NYC hotel the other day with former Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan.

Boy, that was quick!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grunge?

porking a pork bun
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

I haven't been a SP fan for a long time, but honestly I was pretty impressed by the new track. It definatly shows growth and progression, but also, importantly, manages to sound similar to the best parts of SD and MCIS, which I think Billy desperatly needs to try and get back in touch with after the whole Zeitgeist/GLOW incident. If the rest of the tracks follow in a similar vein to this then its a definite purchase from me, though with 43 tracks left to go it could still easily all go wrong.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

By the way, just to prepare everyone, there will be long rear end jam tracks in this thing, so don't be shocked/appalled when those come out.

One of those, however, is hopefully Gossamer, which is really fantastic

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

By the way, just to prepare everyone, there will be long rear end jam tracks in this thing, so don't be shocked/appalled when those come out.

One of those, however, is hopefully Gossamer, which is really fantastic

I have absolutely no problems with these. "Starla", "Why Am I So Tired?", "Silverfuck" and their other epics are some of my favorite Pumpkin tracks ever.

p. nice Wolf Parade ref
Mar 27, 2003

I love their long tracks. For Martha, Starla, Porcelina, etc. The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right) is by far my favorite long song of theirs for some reason.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gossamer was like 20-30 minutes in concert, so I imagine it'll be more like 10-15 recorded. As Rome Burns was really great, too.

E: Also IIRC Gossamer is instrumental so no wacky mastering of his voice

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

"Pale Scales," please.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

Captain Charisma posted:

Gossamer was like 20-30 minutes in concert, so I imagine it'll be more like 10-15 recorded. As Rome Burns was really great, too.

E: Also IIRC Gossamer is instrumental so no wacky mastering of his voice

Gossamer had lyrics. I don't think there will be a studio version though. That's more of a Zeitgeist-era song.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Murder McMurderson posted:

Gossamer had lyrics. I don't think there will be a studio version though. That's more of a Zeitgeist-era song.

I don't know about that. For the 2008 tour he cut it down from 35 minutes to 15, on a tour when Billy wasn't really concerned with tightening up songs. It seemed like it was being re-worked a bit so it could go on a studio album, and this is the project Billy was talking about around then. And it's not like it couldn't be re-worked to fit the album, the first time they played it live it was an amazing acoustic version, so it has been changed around a few times.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

YOU PEOPLE ARE PIGS!

Jewmanji posted:

I agree, as soon as they mentioned Stairway that's all I could hear in that opening progression.

Ah damnit, now that's all I can hear too. This song isn't bad and I don't know what you guys were talking about with it being badly mixed, in my Sennheiser's it sounded fine, just very very synthy. Sounded mostly like the Crying Tree of Mercury off of Machina. The "I am one of many more to come" part leading into the solo is actually pretty good.

Edit: It doesn't seem, at least from this song, that he's releasing them in anything similar to the order that they would be put on an album if professionally released. This would be a pretty good second or third to last song for a album between long, drawn out jams and contemplative grooves. Kind of like Spaceboy was a good buffer in SD.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at Dec 24, 2009 around 02:35

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

Propaganda Hour posted:

I don't know what you guys were talking about with it being badly mixed

Seriously? Listen to Billy's voice. It is loud, completely pops out of the mix and dominates everything else. It is very raw - no subtle EQ or reverb to help it blend into the soundscape.

This isn't audiophile-level criticism, this is really, really basic stuff. I'm stunned that you can't hear the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

YOU PEOPLE ARE PIGS!

Iblys posted:

Seriously? Listen to Billy's voice. It is loud, completely pops out of the mix and dominates everything else. It is very raw - no subtle EQ or reverb to help it blend into the soundscape.

This isn't audiophile-level criticism, this is really, really basic stuff. I'm stunned that you can't hear the problem.

Maybe I've just become used to post-Adore billy corgan because this is much better than a lot of Machina and Zeitgeist in terms of vocal mixing. Screwing around with the EQ curve now I can definitely tell that this was all done in synth because everything overlaps with the vocal track. It definitely could use separation but it's not awful. Comparing this to Tenacious D is off base.

edit: move the 500Hz slider and it sounds like everything is on the same track since it effects even the bass and drums

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at Dec 24, 2009 around 09:12

• Locked thread
«66 »