Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Untitled from what I remember was basically Billy giving everyone one last "gently caress You" by proving that if he chose to he could pound out a hit single in a short time period and with minimal studio time in response to all the criticism of his latest works at the time and people saying that he had lost his ability to pen a good song. Had Billy chosen he could have poo poo out multiple albums of pop music that would have sold, topped charts, and in his eyes tarnished his career, integrity, and vision for his music. So the next time you hear Untitled remember, he didn't write more like that out of spite and you and everyone else has been cheated out of some sweet pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

After an initial listen it's not awful, certainly better than the previous song but that is not entirely a hard accomplishment. I think I would enjoy it more if there were bass, in my headphones it seemed as though there was no bass at all and I fear what this will sound like in my car or ipod. I did like the tempo, the upbeat feel of the song and it does remind me of Zwan quite a bit and I still listen to Zwan in the summer as it just seems so perfect listening to driving home after a day at the beach or weekend at the cabin. Song for a son is still the best effort so far.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The song starts out good enough, then Billy starts his vocals and the song falls to poo poo. I am in bed, recovering from an inner ear infection while listening to this and as soon as Billy started singing the room began spinning. On top of that my beagle literally started crying in the bed once the vocals started, I stopped the song and my nausea went away and Max went back to sleep. I may try it again once I am healthy enough to endure it and the dog is out in the yard. Today the Smashing Pumpkins finally made me nauseated.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Wow the new single has actually sold out, I was thinking of ordering it for funsies to make fun of one of my friends who is a diehard pumpkin fanatic. Who knew there would be enough people out there to buy them all, perhaps they are all joke purchases too, or maybe Billy only had 50 made. The new bassist is par for the course, she will probably leave in a year or so.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

ChesterJT posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what point to imagine the band died in a fiery explosion and ignore everything that happened after that point.

As a fairly forgiving fan, lover of Zwan, and occasionally his solo album I can safely say that he suffered a debilitating stroke mere hours after Song for a Son was released. It is really tragic that those mercinary musicians that currently call themselves the Smashing Pumpkins are clearly taking whatever material Billy had recorded over the years prior to becoming aphasic and are trying to hammer an album out of poo poo in order to try and make some money. The Corgan that goes on tour is simply his body being used as a marionette while a recording plays, a fate crueller than death.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The Black Stones posted:

As far as the song goes. I like, I think it's great. Kinda seems to me where they possibly would have gone after Machina if they didn't break up. I'm sure I'm gonna be the odd one out though.

First Impression:

It seems like a bridge between where Machina was going and Zeitgeist started. It seems perhaps he has finally taken some criticism as his voice isn't front and center drawing attention from everything and he seems to have written the song with his current vocal range in mind instead of his old one. Flows nice, doesn't drag on and actually it sounds like it could fit on an album. A decent song that isn't trying to be amazing, wacky, or shocking, and is a nice breath of fresh air in this pile of dung tracklist.

Result: It has actually found its way onto my iPod which none of the other songs barring Song for a Son has managed to accomplish. I see promise in this project if he can stay in this current production/song writing outlook.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

TOOT BOOT posted:

At this rate the 'album' won't be finished for another 10 years or so.

Here's a really horrible thought: What if he's actually spending a ton of time on it and tossing out music that's just not good enough?

We already lived through this once, it was called TheFutureEmbrace. It will be so poorly recieved that he will have to take out a full page ad in a Chicago newspaper announcing his intentions to reform Zwan as he will always be a Zwan no matter what else he does. At that point Jimmy Chamberlain will rush to his side and drum for the album while they audition for replacement members who are not wise enough to steer clear of the S.S. Billy. The music is only part of the journey, the real art is watching a megalomaniac whither and die in his own creative juices. :(

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Pizza Club posted:

I know you're trying to make a point here, but TFE came out on the same day as the full page ad, hardly enough time for it to be a failure just yet. Even before the reunion he has said that there *could* be a SP reunion, but never Zwan (they were immoral people). Everything Billy has said the last couple years has been pretty much, "If I'm going down, I'm going down my way and if I fail, I won't regret it." Dying in his own creative juices? Maybe, but at least there's some honor in that.

Actually, by the time the CD was released the album had been poo poo on by nearly every person to review it, word of mouth and high expectations killed this project before it ever had a chance. The Ad was a publicity stunt to get his name out and generate any form of buzz to try and sell some albums and the easiest way to do that was the reunification of the Pumpkins. Billy thought he had something that would set the world on fire with that album the way he talked about it, unfortunately the only time the disc would ever catch flame is if it shared a bag with dog poo poo. That is said from someone who actually semi-enjoys the release and keeps it on his ipod, I can see why it is almost universally labelled as a turd. To put this in perspective I went to my local CD shop to pick it up on release day only to find out that the owner had cancelled the delivery since nobody had asked about it and the reviews that were popping up were awful. This is a store that tries to get at least a few copies of an almost any album for release day.

I still have a friend who is convinced this is all a long con so that Billy can live his art and fulfill his Glass and the Ghost Children concept which will culminate in the whole band (either darcy or melissa for bass) reuniting, putting out the sequel to MCIS and recapture the world...I want what he is on.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Curl_like_smoke posted:

So the Pumpkins are coming this way in 2 weeks, what should I expect in terms of a set list and stage presence? I get that it's only Corgan at this point which is a bummer, but is it still worth it?

Do you enjoy pumpkins music in any capacity? If yes you will enjoy the show.
Do you enjoy less than 50% of total pumpkins music? It may be best to avoid.
Do you enjoy NEW PUMPKINS!!!! music? If yes you will enjoy the show.

Seriously at this point go to the show but only if you have either a liking or high tolerance for the new music. Yes the tracklists will show they are playing old stuff as well, but sometimes those new songs will drag on forever, or at least seem to.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

LtTennisBall posted:

Billy
Super major unreal happy SP news coming next week. Plus auction news too. Next week is gonna be big SP week. Thank you to all our great fans
(via twitter)
WHAT COULD IT BE! probably disappointment, but still.

He is going to announce that they are rereleasing all previous albums but now recorded with the current lineup and mixed the same way Zeitgeist was. There will be a recall of all previous versions and anyone caught with one will be arrested by the RIAA and subject to public lashings. At that point he will lash out at everyone saying that it is our fault that music moved away from his style and to other styles.

Alternately, the rest of the original band memebers have reunited under the name "picking up the pieces" and their album will be named "old forgotten gourds". It will be mixed by flood, produced by butch vig, and the new vocalist will be Shirley Manson. The bad news is that they are making Billy open for them on their world wide tour as an act of domination and to humiliate them. Billy will be invited back on for one song per show but it will always be a song that Iha sings. ALWAYS.

I can dream can't I?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The awesome news is that somehow he got the rights to the old album through arcane witchcraft and doesn't have to cut in the old band members due to a clause in the contract that pays to "The Smashing Pumpkins" and not by individual names. The current lineup is reclassified to session musician and Billy re-releases all the albums and reaps all the money for himself as he is the only Smashing Pumpkin member. There will then be Rockband Smashing Pumpkins, Smashing Pumpkin ringtones, and Siamese dream will be remastered with tracks featuring T-pain, Jessica Simpson, and that "its friday" chick.

For real though a Blu-ray/CD of the whole metro show in order would be pretty awesome. I actually wouldn't mind a slew of live shows released from every major tour provided they were mixed by someone other then Billy. I remember obtaining shows from the Sacred and Profane tour and wishing I could have seen it myself.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

LtTennisBall posted:

Smashing Pumpkins Rock Band would own :colbert:

I never said it wouldn't, hell I would release day purchase the poo poo out of it WITH all the associated SP branded instruments. I would then hold giant SP rockband marathons in my condo until the neighbors begged for mercy. The 2 songs I already have are clearly not enough.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I am flabbergasted to find that I may not have all the SP tracks, I know I have Zero and Siva though. Were the other 2 tracks DLC or included in the the rockband games but not transferred with the license transfers? I own all the rockband games, and a shameful amount of DLC but only Rockband 3 is ever in the 360. If they are DLC then I will buy them tomorrow.

Edit: according to my wife we have all the songs I just don't play rockband enough. Tomorrow I shall hammer out a SP playlist to fix that.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 25, 2011

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The optimist in me cant wait for the new re-releases and the chance to buy another round of SP vinyl. The pessimist in me sees Billy remastering these albums without a second or third set of ears and I get a George Lucas type vibe. I fear the Siamese Dream remaster will be something like what has been don to Star Wars/Indiana Jones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The album isn't terrible, just forgettable. Listening to this album is like watching that one uncle who seemed to stop maturing at 22. When you were younger he was amazing, when you were the same age he still had the potential to be amazing, and now that you are older you understand that he stopped at the age you passed by a long time ago. It can be fun to visit but not relive, you start to pity him for being stuck in a life he can't maintain forever but unwilling to move on. The CD was put back in its case when I got home from work today, the new Metric has replaced it. The saddest part is that I had no favorites, can't recall the song titles, and all it did was make me understand that I grew up and beyond Billy. I kept hoping it was a Zeitgeist scenario where I just needed to acclimatize to it, after a week though I am pretty much giving up hope because at least by that time I had learned to love tarantula and doomsday clock to start.

• Locked thread