Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

hatelull posted:

I think Gish is a phenomenal record, and some of the deep cuts ("Windowpaine" is godly) are killer but for me it has always been their Bleach (to open up a whole nasty can of worms).

The whole psychadelic twist on Gish would have made for an interesting sound had they kept it. "Snail" is one of my favorite tracks, even if the lyrics were made up along the way.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Cheesus posted:

For me, Siamese Dream stops at the end of Geek USA. I can't think of another album that acts like that to me.

this motherfucker doesn't like Mayonaise, kill him

Also, spaceboy is worth it simply for the transition into Silverfuck at the end... which unfortunately is separated on some vinyl editions.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Captain Charisma posted:

I thought Zeitgeist was a fine album, it just needed to be mastered by someone who knew what they were doing. Doomsday Clock, Tarantula, United States, Stellar, and That's The Way are all really great songs.

I will admit that when it gets bad, it gets really bad (Starz), but I think it gets more poo poo than it deserves.

No, it deserves it all. Isn't this the album that every song is in the same key? I mean, seriously god drat.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't watch this at work, what does he say about it?

Another pseudo-update to this dead thread, what would you say is the Pumpkins most underrated song? By underrated, I mean a track that rarely gets mentioned, is obviously not a single, and people tend to just skim over, but it still loving awesome?

My vote goes to Hummer. Seriously, the original Vieuphoria/Earphoria didn't even include it, and that was pretty much Siamese Dream: The Movie.

Ha, I was thinking of Hummer as I read this, because it's easily the best song on SD (followed closely by Mayonaise). But I have real love for "Snail" on Gish, and I don't see that ever brought up anywhere.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Bubble-T posted:

I love Snail :)

I've always felt there's something more upbeat about it that helps it stand out on Gish.

Agreed again bubble T. Snail is the Gish equivalent of Mayonaise, that's what I've always said. And Tristessa ain't bad either... Gish is real solid for being all over the place tonally, if it ended stronger than Window Paine (boring) and My Daydream (eh) it'd be almost perfect (not so keen on Suffer for the most part).

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Steve Winwood posted:

X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

nice.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Diarrhea Jones posted:

I haven't read all of it in order, but some stuff, particularly the bits about recording Siamese Dream, are really interesting

Yeah actually. the whole narrative of him going from jobless bum sleeping on tile floors to having a million dollars and needing/wanting to do well with SD, while his bandmates weren't as serious, you kinda understand his crazy a little.

the part where he explains how he writes lyrics with the typewriter is gold too lol

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just hope pavement plays range life, original lyrics. That's all I want.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It's Gish you nerds.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That basically confirms for me how I've always thought Iha was just as self centered as Billy. I think I remember reading that even during SD/MCIS recordings he really was only interested in his own songs, which frankly I've never been impressed by. Maybe Blew Away, maybe.

Would be cool to see that show on DVD though

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Combined with their best tracks Machina would be pretty good, not the best but pretty good. Thing is you'd end up taking many more tracks from II than I, most certainly. Machina I is almost complete poo poo, just utterly awful except for a couple tracks. II has a number of good tracks and some boring ones.

I also actually like the lo-fi quality of II as well.

Also to add to Bubble-T's recommendation, if you can seek out the Mashed Potatoes bootleg, it's pretty neat especially if you like Gish era stuff (you should). It's 70-something tracks of B-sides, outtakes, live versions, radio plays, covers, and a couple live tracks that were never put on an album (and a few of them are great). The only thing is, the low end is pretty drowning, so bumping the treble is kind of necessary to make it not sound like poo poo (at least to me).

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Nail Rat posted:

I don't see how anyone could believe something this ridiculous for a second.

Especially because she was 15 when the album came out.

Pictures are from the past sometimes.

But yeah, that's ridiculously absurd and if she really is then Billy knew.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Oncogene posted:

I think it's in the Greatest Hits book but there were several photos from the same shoot and they picked that one for the album cover so I think they were taken shortly before the album came out.

It's a weird thing to lie about. Is it suppose to be a joke?

The greatest hits booklet's floating around my trash filled car somewhere, I'm not going to go get it but I thought it was a collection of older photos. Well whatever

edit: wiki says it was old photos of family and friends?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Black Stones posted:

The message is pretty much 99.99% poo poo. But it's more than likely Billy is just loving with people for fun.

http://popdust.com/2011/02/18/was-smashing-pumpkins-bassist-a-cover-model-for-siamese-dream/ - The photo shoot WAS specific for the record apparently.

If that's true why would they claim something so easily disproved? Either way it's idiotic but yknow... Billy Corgan...!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Smashing Pumpkins' Smashing Hits? A single-disc true retrospective starting with a demo from 1986, followed by "Today," "Tonight, Tonight," "Ava Adore," and then the rest of it from his new stuff and Zeitgeist?

One can dream, right?

That would be terrible, and as 'whatever' as the metro show is, I hope it's that.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I've always wondered if Machina II would be better with a "proper" mastering but I came to the conclusion a while back that I love the grittiness of the album's sound and I'm not sure I'd want it to be cleaned up. Especially by this version of Billy Corgan.

No you're absolutely right, the lofi mastering of Machina II keeps it mildly interesting and a proper one would be really bland and boring. Machina II is saved by a couple good tracks and a good 'change of sound' for the band, even if that sound is 'lo fi'

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Nail Rat posted:

In the new version of Mellon Collie, Jimmy Chamberlain's singing part will come first during Farewell and Goodnight.

Which line does he sing exactly, I could never tell.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Bubble-T posted:

Honestly I'm inclined to think that whatever Billy's vision of their "full potential" was it would have been lovely music because he's always needed people reigning him in.

Billy Corgan is the George Lucas of music? maybe

• Locked thread