Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Uhm the song is pretty good...how did that happen?

IUG posted:

Have to stream it through a web browser provided by AOL.

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Steve Winwood posted:

This is kind of interesting if nobody has seen it: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=51237706

At least now I know where that "punch through the digital screen" gif comes from.
And is it just me or does Corgan somehow manage to come across pretty down to earth in that interview.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Awesomesauce posted:

You're being sarcastic right?

"I am a guitar hero"
"BOOO"

Billy Corgan is in fact a guitar hero, and the audience was kind of stupid to boo that, I thought. But seriously, why would you call yourself a guitar hero in public?

I would have to watch it again to see how that particular line was delivered, but often enough he says this stuff in jest. And especially during this interview I felt it was pretty obvious that he wasn't too serious with a lot of his answers. I have seen him come across a lot worse in other interviews.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
As if a megalomaniac like Mr. Corgan would sign with an Indie label.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So...D'arcy's not looking good these days...yeah...
http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/10/smash...-bench-warrant/

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The song is okay, but the constant synths in the background add nothing to the song and are very annoying.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

LtTennisBall posted:

Really? I like the synths. Though it might be that I just like synths in general.

I have a Pet Shop Boys avatar. Believe me, I LOVE synths. But they serve no purpose here at all, as kalensc said, they just make the mix a lot muddier. It certainly doesn't help that they synth sound is cheap as hell. Still, this is one of the better songs to come out of this project, I won't deny that.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

MUFFlNS posted:

I've been dying for Machina II to be remastered so this is excellent news. I hope he doesn't gently caress with the sounds though because personally I think the production and mastering of Machina I is absolutely perfect. I just want Machina II to be given the same love.

Ugh I can't tell you how much I disagree. Machina I is one of the absolutely worst sounding album in my collection. The guitars sound completely washed out and the whole mix has no punch at all. It kinda works for the more laid back tracks like With Every Light, but that's it. It's also extremely muddy, I cannot make out what's going on in the arrangement of Raindrops + Sunshowers at all (just as an example). All of that might have been the intention, but it sucks anyway.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I actually watched the whole 18 minute video and I feel an intense hatred of Billy Corgan right now.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Bubble-T posted:

Still one of the funniest things I've ever read. It's like an excerpt from the Catch-22 of music.

The hilarious thing is, if this wasn't Billy Corgan we're talking about, I'd shake my head at Thayil for falling for an obvious troll.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've listened to the first four songs so far, and I can't believe I'm going to write this, but all of it sounds good! Quasar and Panopticon are pretty close to vintage Smashing Pumpkins, and the worst thing I can say is that the synths on The Celestials sound really cheesy (they work well on Violet Rays though).

Say what you will, Billy has managed to pique my interest. I'll have to listen to the rest of it to make sure this wasn't just a genius sequencing move on his part, but so far Oceania seems to turn out better than Zeitgeist.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

LordPants posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNi7im2i-Y0

Ever wondered why everyone else's mics were turned down low? Here's your answer.

I don't think they sound any worse than Corgan's own squealing.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

mayodreams posted:

Rolling Stone posted a remix of 'Ava Adore' by Diddy. It's... interesting.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/diddy-smashing-pumpkins-ava-adore-premiere-20140828

That arrangement is 90s as gently caress, but I think it fits the song pretty well. I expected a lot worse from someone like Diddy.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was 'Real Love' always meant to sound that way? I mean, I like it, but... I might like it more if it was cleaner. I fully understand and accept artistic vision, so if it was meant to be fuzzed out, cool. Just curious.

I really, really don't know. The whole Machina project has always sounded incredibly bad in my ears, I'm really glad that there's some remixing going on.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
As it turns out, I like NONE of the Matt Walker "reimaginations". They all sound like super generic late 90's electro-rock in exactly the way Adore mostly avoided.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
My personal favorite Billy Corgan live vocals moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRzAzxmL9A&t=107s

Don't get me wrong, they really rocked live, but his vocals were (and probably still are) questionable more often than not.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 8, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Atlas Hugged posted:

Billy Corgan is no David Bowie, but to be fair he introduced "The Next Day" to the world with the single "Where Are We Now?" which is by far the blandest track on the album and it still turned out to be really loving good.

"Where Are We Now" was ten times as emotional, personal and GOOD as "Being Beige". But Masonic Youth is right, I wouldn't have picked "The Celestials" either.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

syntaxfunction posted:

And is Anderson Cooper a big deal in the US? I've heard him referenced a couple times but I assumed he was some B-list reporter.

I'm not actually from the US, so I don't have an opinion on his reporting since I have seen nearly none of it, but I know his name well enough. And I know he's won multiple awards for his reporting e.g. on the Haiti earthquake and its aftermath. I don't think he's B-list in any way at all.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

I've never been more offended. Holodecks are from Star Trek, not Star Wars.

On a more serious note, I'm not surprised, and I guess nobody else is either. Billy always was or at least presented himself as a big weirdo, and with age this turned him into the "drat kids get off my lawn" type he is now.
Also not too surprised about his "free speech" rage. I guess he's still sore over the flack he got for the Ever incident. Billy, free speech means that you can say what you want. That's what you're doing right there on the show. It does not mean that you don't have to face some backlash if you say something lovely. Bonus points for praising the times when the KKK was roaming the streets.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

ChesterJT posted:

[...] now SJW's can look every bit as crazed and aggressive as the KKK [...]

Hey, I too sometimes snicker about the fact that half of the dictionary has to come with a trigger warning now, but let's save these comparisons for when SJWs have also literally lynched thousands of people.

• Locked thread