Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I think Machina II worked so well because it didn't have the production values of Machina I. Corgan's production values took a steep dive after MCIS/Adore and one of the reasons I love Machina II (and why it's held up better almost 10 years later) is because it has a more raw sound. It just didn't have a chance to get hosed up in the studio like their normal album efforts of the time (and since then).

On a slightly less related note, when was Untitled written? If it was in fact written after everything went down and was one of the last songs written/recorded with Iha, Corgan and Chamberlain, it's a little upsetting that it was a sound or style he was always capable of but chose not to for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

pill for your ills posted:

"Untitled" for me. :colbert:

I remember when the Tarantula was released as the first single prior to Zeitgeist... That song rocked the gently caress out and if the whole album had been more like that I think a few more people would have stuck around.

I just remember hearing that single and thinking, "Holy poo poo, the Pumpkins are back." Then I listened to the album. :smith:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

RIP Billy Corgan 1967-2001

As an old fan it is now just easier to pretend he's dead.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd classify 'Freak' as 'the best Zwan song', really.

What happened to the wall of sound and the gently caress you attitude?

Cause doing that in your 20's is cool. Doing that in your 40's is just sad.

I think "Tarantula" is a great example of how he's still got it in him. It just seems he wants to "push the boundaries" now (read: suck). I was so pumped when that single came out a few years ago, I thought, "Holy poo poo the Pumpkins are back." Then I heard the album. :cry:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

MUFFlNS posted:

That would be loving incredible and pretty much the best thing he could possibly do for the fans.

I've always wondered if Machina II would be better with a "proper" mastering but I came to the conclusion a while back that I love the grittiness of the album's sound and I'm not sure I'd want it to be cleaned up. Especially by this version of Billy Corgan.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I'm hearing Rocket and La Dolly Vita.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

The Black Stones posted:

I don't think he can do them anymore really and just reserves it for live shows. He knocked himself out doing a scream one time recently while sing BWBW so it would make sense he doesn't want to tax himself.

Seems like that would be a good case for saving those screams (or just... emotion) for the studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, I know. Lately, as in the past 5-10 years, I've felt less and less interested in discovering or getting in to new bands. I just don't care anymore, and it sucks; whatever mood I'm in, I can find a song by someone I already like to go along with it. For whatever reason, new music by previously loved artists gets a bit of a free pass at least for a while, and I was hoping that Monuments would have been great.

Welcome to getting old. I've found one album I've enjoyed this year (Metamodern Sounds in Country Music) and I've murdered it. Something like 70-80 plays since July.

• Locked thread