Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I liked Zwan a lot, thought The Future Embrace was pretty bad, and found Zeitgeist/American Gothic to be a mish-mash of great and bad. I'll have little to no anticipation for this release, especially with Jimmy gone, but I hope Corgan re-captures some of his old touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

I can't find it, but there was a thread awhile ago about making double albums into a single one and I made a MCIS one. If I remember correctly this was it:

MCIS
Tonight Tonight
Jellybelly
Here Is No Why
BWBW
gently caress You
Cupid de Locke
Galapagos
Porcelina
Where Boys Fear To Tread
Bodies
Thru The Eyes of Ruby
XYU
Farewell & Goodnight

Shuffle around some of the softer songs, and maybe add in In The Arms of Sleep and that's golden.

E: By the way Adore is their best album and never gets any discussion.

I'd probably swap Cupid de Locke for Muzzle, and def add In the Arms of Sleep and Stumbleine, but otherwise this looks fantastic.

I wouldn't say Adore is their best album, but I get why some people say it is. I do agree that it is incredibly under-appreciated.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

the Bunt posted:

I think Glass and the Ghost Children is the newest Pumpkins song I totally adore all the way through.

Huh, I guess I was always turned off by Heavy Metal Machine and The Imploding Voice and didn't listen to the back half off the album very often, but G&tGC is great, thanks for pointing it out. I still think that Cash Car Star was the last great Smashing Pumpkins song, although you need to find Machina II for that.

I stumbled across a way to get a lot more out of Zeitgeist a while back. One of my pair of earphones got caught on something and was yanked, and after that I didn't get the full range of sound. For whatever reason, vocals were inaudible, and occasionally some particular instruments. I guess it has to do with Hz or something, definitely not my area of knowledge.

Anyways, vocal-less Zeitgeist is pretty fun, and Doomsday Clock, Starz, Death From Above, and Stellar were on heavy rotation for a while a few years back.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Does Spaceboy count as an underrated song? I only got into the band around the time Adore come out and it was one of the first songs I loved that friends hadn't talked about.

Echoing the thoughts that Galapagos is a beautiful song. In fact I think it's the first part of the most under-rated/mentioned trifecta in their discography. Muzzle and Porcelina of the Vast Oceans fill out an incredible 18 minutes.

Never understood why Thru the Eyes of Ruby wasn't held in similar regard to Silverfuck, Starla, and other fanatstic "long" songs. Way back in the day when I was trying to trim the double-album into one 78~ minute CD I'd always use it as the closing track, it just seemed so perfectly placed.

I of the Mourning is lyrically suspect, but was one of few post-Adore songs that felt like it would have had a place in earlier albums. Builds up into a lovely crescendo of noise.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

BC Lyric: gently caress You (An Ode From Everyone)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

He is totally right about the Arcade Fire hypocrisy. He does it, soulless cash grab and it is still mentioned by Pitchfork to this day. Arcade Fire does it, they're visionary geniuses giving us the privilege of choice.

Each Zeitgeist release had a song that was only available from that retailer. Death From Above was one of them, as was Stellar; can't think of the others off the top of my head.

So if you wanted the "full" Zeitgeist, you had to either double-dip on albums, or find the missing track via files. As far as I know, The Suburbs is eight different covers but the same on-disc content.

Found some article detailing the Zeitgeist release:

quote:

The regular, 12-track, red and red book versions contain the following tracks:

"Doomsday Clock," "7 Shades of Black," "Bleeding the Orchid," "That's the Way (My Love Is)," "Tarantula," "Starz," "United States," "Neverlost," "Bring the Light," "(Come On) Let's Go!," "For God and Country," "Pomp and Circumstances"

The yellowish Best Buy version includes a track called "Death From Above," at either track 9 or 13.

The green version is exclusive to HMV stores throughout the UK, for some damned reason, and includes no different music.

The blue version is exclusive to iTunes, and contains a track called "Stellar" at track 11. If you pre-ordered, you got a track called "Zeitgeist." But only if you pre-ordered.

The Target version contains "Zeitgeist" at track 13. So if you were good enough to pre-order from iTunes, you got nothing tangible but you got an extra song. And you didn't get "Death From Above" no matter what.

Confused yet? Don't worry. Best Buy is selling an exclusive, expanded edition of the album with an alternate track listing (as if the muddled bonus tracks from the other stores weren't enough to negate any semblance of album continuity).

The Best Buy version will contain the initial 12 tracks in a slightly different order, plus the following inserted:

"Death from Above," "Neverlost," "Stellar," "Ma Belle," "For God and Country," "Pomp and Circumstances"

So pretty much, if you bought the album somewhere, you not only got hit with the realization that there are alternate versions with exclusive tracks and that album continuity means nothing anymore, but also we're getting an extended version with all those same tracks (except, inexplicably, the title track).

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

The song is okay, but the constant synths in the background add nothing to the song and are very annoying.

I agree, it's nice that the vocals are dialed back from their dominance on Zeitgeist, but the synths are posing the same issues by blunting the effect of the guitars/drums.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

Hasn't said anything about in forever, which is really sad because those were some of his best songs. Mind you, the album sucked pretty hard, but live it was a thing to behold.

It is like the christmas for smashing pumpkins fans ^^^^^^^^^^^ of course, no one cares about his solo record or zeitgeist and like four people care about zwan.

Zwan was amazing to listen to if you managed hear the lyrics without processing them as words. Not even The Polyphonic Spree could match that level of Up With People.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Use Less posted:

Songs like "XYU" and "Tales of a Scorched Earth" would sound awesome remastered. Not sure about stuff like "We only come out at night" - that Auto-Harp is really loud in the mix, and the vocals are too.

I'm definitely excited for these remasters, actually!

Mellon Collie was the first CD I ever bought and I gave it hundreds of listens as a teen and back then it sounded fine to my young ears, but man a lot of that album, ToaSE in particular, is hard to tolerate now.

Then again, a lot of his new stuff is being cluttered with unnecessary synth stuff so I'm leery of a remastering working out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Phone posting so hard for me to post a link, but Billy put "Let Me Give the World To You" up on YouTube for a couple days. Give it a listen.

Hmm can I remember bbcode via phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo7FE4Mm14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo7FE4Mm14

• Locked thread