Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

At the very least its an interesting experiment with a new way of releasing songs. Who knows, there may be a fee interesting tracks. I actually liked Superchrist, the song he released over the net. If he can give me 44 of those for free who am I to complain.

The Remote Viewer posted:

Machina II has never been released digitally, that's why.

Yeah he gave out 25 (?) vinyls to industry insiders and said "leak is where ever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

xdrquinnx posted:

October 31, 2009, 9:00am: Just arrived at Billy's home studio. Very excited to start recording the new album!

October 31, 2009, 9:08am: Billy yelled at me and then fired me and said he'd do the drums himself.

haha brilliant

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Gish is the quintessential 'bands first album', with that 'here we are' sound, a mixture of different elements, not quite knowing what they are but just knowing that they have to at least be really relevant (ie the grunge/alternative sound) but mixed in with a lot of flavors (psychedelic, jazz, somber).

After dominant personalities enter bands, albums become much more concept based, and SP probably epitomised attempted concept albums, love it or hate it. But albums likes Gish have a raw feel which are lot of fun to listen to, a sound you only get with really good musicians knowing they want to be big and modern but not really knowing exactly how yet. If I didn't want to go to sleep so bad I'd listen to Gish now, sounds like a sunday afternoon project :unsmith:

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

This type of music really should have been Zwan. Then everyone would go 'hey, look at that, post-Pumpkins Billy continues to evolve as an artist, realises that straight alternative has been tapped out by him, and instead uses his song writing skills in a different area', and people might regard him as a really good musician. And all he had to do was write the songs he wanted to write and stop trying to be an alpha dog.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

How did I miss the stairway intro?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Kind of generic, it'd be passable if he just knew how to tweak his vocals.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I thought it was decent song, enjoyable, not particularly memorable though.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I don't mind it, but its clear he's been listening to a lot of 70s rock lately.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Awesomesauce posted:

You're being sarcastic right?

"I am a guitar hero"
"BOOO"

Billy Corgan is in fact a guitar hero, and the audience was kind of stupid to boo that, I thought. But seriously, why would you call yourself a guitar hero in public?

Its just his sense of humor, he likes lame cheesy lines but delivers them in an awkward way. I don't know, the audience was more doing an 'awwwrrrrr' like 'thats so lame' than an outright boo.

I thought it was a good interview, his rant on the record companies was spot on. But I just kept nodding my head thinking 'the problem is, you're outdated, can't write a hook like you used to, and are delusional about our production quality'. Its like watching a star athlete who's been there and knows the game, but doesn't have the body or the tactic to compete anymore.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

He may not have a 'good' voice in the fundamental sense but its very distinctive and adds a nice dimensions to songs when produced properly. Note the last 3 words of the last sentence, Billy.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

i dont know, its really just a musicians version of a midlife crisis, your best work is behind you and you dont want it to be.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I saw them in late 2008. A ten minute singalong rendition of We Only Come Out At Night does not a good encore make.

Am I the only one that thinks this would be awesome? :(

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I really enjoyed them each time I saw them at many different venues. Maybe I got lucky but he has good gig potential in my mind.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

iamthejeff posted:

The video for An Ode to No One from the Greatest Hits DVD is still one of my favorite live SP videos, and I always thought the "wtf" face James makes at the camera (when Billy goes off script a bit) was funny... in a playful way. I guess it turns out he really was just sick of Billy's poo poo.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_evk2R4wGU&t=160s

Hindsight bias, but why not end the band on that note. The quintessential 90's post-grunge alternative performance.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

New song is quite good, enjoying it. An album of this quality word be worthy of purchasing.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Came to check out this thread as I'm watching Tonight, tonight on mtv classic. It's hard to call Billy Corgan a waste of talent since he's probably the definition of an over-achiever, but god drat it what the hell is wrong with him and why does a guy who cares so much about what people think of him now wants to throw it all away for nothing? He's becoming less and less mature every year.

Instead of channelling the hosed up self-esteem issues into new music, he's hiding them under a curtain of bitterness and spitefulness. Grow the gently caress up and write music about how hard it is to do this. Just admit you care way too much about what other people think and the pressure causes you to meltdown and feel depressed. You know, the other thing you could do instead of acting like a complete rear end in a top hat with zero real-world perspective because your head is too far up your own rear end.

It's amazing to think how good it would have been for this guys legacy to die in a bus crash or something in 2000. I probably would have deluded myself into thinking the world had lost someone with potential, and had a candle light vigil every year or something. Goes to show, people not only look better than they are with the right light, but also lose their way in extraordinary fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

That's not so bad.

• Locked thread