Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was pretty much ready to give up on SP after G.L.O.W./Superchrist and F.O.L., and this is after a good 14 years of constant fanboyism. But then they had to go and release this song and now I can't help but like them again.

Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That first link REALLY sounds like the beginning of La Dolly Vita.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Black Stones posted:

Billy said he didn't want to do a single for it. Instead, a week before the album drops, he wants to have the whole thing available for listening online so you can understand the album as a whole.

Edit: It's apparently up for listening on itunes on the 12th.

Thank god, I was straight up refusing to buy this until I could listen to the whole thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Halfway through the first track and shockingly enough I like it.

I'm hoping there's some variety to the sound this time, because that was one thing that I really hated about Zeitgeist.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For what it's worth, Amazon has the physical CD for a buck less than the digital downloads either iTunes or Amazon themselves have, plus you get a $1 MP3 credit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Transistor Rhythm posted:

SP were my first love, my first obsession, my first band that could be my life, etc. starting with Siamese in '93, when I was 13. They went on to be my favorite thing in the world for about the next 10 years straight. I loved that Billy was a total art pussy who was derided by bands like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and their fans, yet still rocked harder, heavier, and outplayed those bands by a loving mile in pure visceral meathead power at the same time. I remember a meathead Alice in Chains fan friend of mine who derided Billy as a "fag" until I played him "Geek U.S.A." turned up to 11 and melted his loving face off and sent him home questioning his own masculinity. SP were always artier, more epic, more ambitious than any of their peers and Billy was unquestionably the best mainstream rock songwriter of his generation by a large margin.

Billy's definitely "lost it" in the past decade, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. Almost no songwriters, not even the best ones, keep making great new work for multiple decades. Billy's fecund period of '88 through 2000 or so resulted in so much genius, so much amazingness, so many great songs and several timeless records, and that's enough. The "new" SP is the same as the old SP, they're not the problem - that kid drummer is better than Jimmy Chamberlain, Jeff S. has been 3x the guitar loving animal that James ever was since he was in the Lassie Foundation. If anyone thought Darcy was essential to the band in any way, listen to the live performance on the "Drown" bootleg - she could literally hardly play bass even in the middle of SP's biggest breakthrough era. SP has always been "Billy + whoever else is with him at the time," and that's ok.

I listened to a little bit of that new record, but it really did nothing for me. Sounded way better than "Zeitgeist," but I couldn't even stay interested long enough to finish it. I'm comfortable with that, though, in a world where I can go listen to "Stars Falling" or "Hello Kitty Kat" any time I want.

P.S. My favorite album is "Adore" to this day.

This kid has nothing on Jimmy and the song is "Stars Fall In."

More or less agree with everything else though. You should give the new album another shot, after a few days with it, the individual songs started jumping out at me and I was able to really enjoy them. It reminds me a lot of Zwan in terms of the optimism and positiveness of the record. "The Chimera" is a really great song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Yeah I think he's still been writing good stuff but everything has been a bit half baked. Like I think Zeitgeist could have been a great record if they'd taken a bit more care and time with it and if a the songs were at least developed by a full band.

I think that's been the biggest problem - not having a full band, or at least one he's prepared to trust and listen to. Yeah he always played pretty much everything on the records but the band worked on the songs and arrangements together and it helped to have a couple of "cool" people in the band to point Billy in the right direction. Billy can write and play great but he's a bit of a dork and has kinda lame taste in bands. Word is born: Siamese Dream wouldn't have had that amazing cool, fresh sound if James & D'arcy weren't around.

I know some people liked Machina and it does have some great songs but the production and direction of it is complete crap in my opinion. I think a huge part of that is because D'arcy was gone and James didn't give a poo poo anymore so it's just pure unrestrained Billy with a big budget and his crap taste. Teargarden was mostly Billy and Kerry Brown with no budget..

Now Oceania is a step up because Billys got a band he likes and trusts and has let them come up with their own parts and have a say in whats going on.

That's another thing about this album, it REALLY sounds like there's a full band influencing him. The bass is actually doing something for once.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Question: Am I the only one that thinks Neverlost is the best song on Zeitgeist?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm also interested to see what the 64 b-sides will be. I'm really hoping it collects all the songs from the singles of that era rather than just obscure demos and stuff.

But that's already on the TAFH box!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Allen Wren posted:

The original UK vinyl was three LPs, so I don't know what the gently caress. Maybe they're audiophile vinyl, with more space for better grooves?

It wouldn't shock me if they did that with the CD tracklist and just put each CD on 2 records.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So, vinyl aside, is anyone else as in love with the new version of Jupiter's Lament on the bonus tracks as I am?

Because I really am.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Billy has gotten a little chubby as he's gotten older and has started to resemble a stretched-out baby.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Allen Wren posted:

I prefer the UK LP order myself, I was hoping that the reissue would use that as well, but apparently not.

What's the difference between that and the US vinyl one?

Millstone posted:

Slurry is a Simpsons thing

I thought that was Squishee?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ballz posted:

Still waiting for that last show before the original breakup to come out on 3D Blu Ray. <:mad:>

Yeah, the Metro show has become kind of a holy grail. I'm of the opinion that it will never come out now, which is pretty sad. The clip on the video collection DVD is awesome.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah, well said.

Billy's problem is that while he often has really good, interesting ideas, he presents them like such a space case that he sounds crazy instead of insightful.

I feel like 2/3 of that is him wanting to gently caress with people, and 1/3 not giving a poo poo if he comes off as a nut.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fair enough, I'd honestly switch out Cupid de Locke for Set the Ray to Jerry. Man, that song allegedly got so close to making the cut.

If I remember correctly, Billy really really wanted that song in, and it was Flood that gave it the no-go.

edit: http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/song.html?song_id=146&song_type=1

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 3, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The album is only 28 songs. If they're all crappy why are you listening to it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I really wish Billy hadn't gotten into doing so much ecstasy and put out the piano/acoustic album he was planning on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LordPants posted:

If Adore is five disks god knows how big Machina will be.

I heard one of the things Bjorn wants to do with the Machina reissue is do a 'KISS Alive!' style remix of the album, remixing the studio tracks with audience noise to make it sound like some bizarre performance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is anyone in this thread under 25?

The drummer's under 25.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey, I really like that Zwan CD. Jimmy's drumming on the song MSotS is some of his best ever.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's no surprise that MCIS is held so highly, since that was the point where the Pumpkins acted as a band in the studio, instead of as a front for Billy Corgan and the Billy Corgan Band with the Billy Corgan Experienced with special guest Billy Corgan and the Billy Corgans, featuring Jimmy Chamberlain on drums. He doesn't really have anyone to play off of, and that's how you get 8 hour synth-fests that amounts to a guy tooling around without any real purpose. Very few artists can work well in that isolated environment, and Billy needs the tension to help him form better work.

From what I understand, Gish is really the only album like that. Everything Siamese Dream onward had Billy playing most of the bass and guitar tracks unless they were just jamming. James did a fair amount of dubbing into the mix, but from what I've heard it was pretty much all Billy.

Supposedly he's calmed down about that and the rest of his new band had a fair amount of influence on Oceania, but who really knows.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I kind of like Oceania too. I think there are a couple issues with the mix, but it's still leagues ahead of Zeitgeist.

I think I heard that The Chimera off that album mostly came out of them all jamming together. I recently rediscovered that song and it's pretty awesome. If it just had a little more structure and didn't wander around so much (and maybe a better lyrical and melodic hook) it would have probably made a great modern pop/rock track and might have ended up on the charts.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Black Stones posted:

I don't think your 2 double album dream is going to happen. Newest post states it was actually about 80 songs and the rest were alternate takes, and from there they've got 35 that are definitely ones they think will make the cut for the album.

The real good new is that this is apparently how Siamese, Mellon Collie, and Machina were done, so I'm starting to get real pumped for these albums now.

He also said of those 35, 26 are "star" tracks and 9 are "cougar" tracks, so of course keep that in mind or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That was one of the big problems I had with Zeitgeist, the vocals were smashed WAY up front in the mix, it was pretty distracting. Also most of the songs weren't very good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Neverlost is pretty cool for not sounding like All The Same Song on the rest of the album.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So Billy designed this "Panopticon" site himself, didn't he?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, before the white album, they were really focusing on the mono mix primarily. When they did make a stereo mix, it was a quick half-day sort of thing where the band wouldn't even hang out. As for why the Adore vinyl was mono, I have no idea. As Cemetery Gator said, it was probably just Billy/Bjorn figuring it would be fun and weird to do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm glad at least Jeff is sticking around. He's a solid guitarist. Mike was a pretty good drummer, but I always thought Song For A Son suffered for its lack of Jimmy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

The brunt of a Siamese Dream-esqe tone is an Electro Harmonix Big Muff (NYC, not Russian) into an overdriven Marshall head. That's really the key, but I have no idea how to replicate that in Amplitube.

What this guy said. Also Billy was probably playing a Strat in that era so you've already got that down.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really like a lot of the Adore material, but so much of it gets bogged down in the techno bullshit. I think if they kept a few of the tracks a little closer to some of the piano/band songs from the Adore Demos boots, and kept the atmospheric stuff it would be their strongest work. poo poo like Apples + Oranges really bog it down though. Also I almost always skip Ava Adore now, it's too 1998.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jack's Flow posted:

I really wish he would stop doing that.

Maybe he felt weird that the name "Smashing Pumpkins" was older than the drummer for the Smashing Pumpkins.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a demo version of Blank Page that Variety has up. I think I prefer it to the album version.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sorry. And yeah, it's weird hearing Billy give an interview where he sounds reasonable and doesn't say anything too idiotic. He even has nice things to say about Mike, Nicole and Jimmy instead of just calling them "loving liars" or whatever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh hey, the entire Fox Theater show that's going to be on the DVD is up on YouTube for another day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7WcWPabTQ

It's a bit of an Adore-heavy set; the only songs from anything else are Thru the Eyes of Ruby, Tonight Tonight, Bullet with Butterfly Wings and 1979. But yeah, of course the show on the Adore box set is going to be a show where they play almost the entirety of Adore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Really? I always thought the too-electronica tracks like Apples + Oranges were the weakest parts. Dusty and Pistol Pete has grown on me. I think Once Upon A Time is pretty weak, and frankly I don't even like Ava Adore that much. I would have much rather heard an album closer to the demos, but maybe with the atmospherics we get on the final version.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Chewing Gum is kind of a weak song, but I love the sound of it. It's something they were doing live a lot but never shows up on the album.

Watching this concert and man is D'arcy just the loving worst. She has zero stage presence.

But man is this version of Pug great. Also Crestfallen without the silly synth intro.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's one thing I've heard him talking about. Apparently he and Flood are trying to do like a fake Glass and the Ghost Children live album a la Kiss Alive, with audience noise and poo poo. It's going to be nuts, whatever it is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ringo was my favorite member of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Devol_Tettran posted:

I wonder if we'll get the finished chunks of the animated Glass and the Machines of God series included with the Machina set?

From what I've seen, let's all hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DominoDancing posted:

As it turns out, I like NONE of the Matt Walker "reimaginations". They all sound like super generic late 90's electro-rock in exactly the way Adore mostly avoided.

That's kind of my take on it. I think it works for Pug, but I'm not sure Pug really works itself.

• Locked thread