Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

LordPants posted:

If Adore is five disks god knows how big Machina will be.

I have absolutely no source on this but I heard Flood has been talking with b0lly about remixing the whole thing from the bottom up, Billy said the original concept was a double album of a fake concert of a fake rock band (Machines of God), and with Flood kinda-sorta on board I'm really interested to see the whole thing recontextualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Jesus loving christ:

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.co...1E-0C301E6591DA

quote:

Here's a shot from the mission out west. Just finished round 1 of tracking drums with Tommy Lee for the new the Smashing Pumpkins album. Shockla-locka-boom. Yes, that T Lee for all 9 songs of 'Monument To An Elegy.'

So, is Mike out of the band or just not drumming on the record? Billy could just be fuckin around getting "samples" for the production. I was excited about this album before, now I'm dubious. Don't gently caress it up Billy!

Just give me my Zwan boxset god drat it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I think the biggest reason I'm pissed is he made this whole stink about when Oceania came out that the band was in a good place. If he kept that lineup and kept putting out solid material then it would have totally been all for the "aht".

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I could ask this in ML, but since everyone here is very familiar with the Pumpkins music, I'll ask here: Can anyone give me an idea on how to get a good 'Geek U.S.A.' tone from Amplitube 3? I've been trying a few different things, and I know that part of the equation is the guitar (I have a mexican Fender Strat) and the pickups, but there's gotta be something that can get me close. I'm listening to the song for the millionth time, and would kill to get that tone.

I'll need about a thousand overdubs, that's for sure.

The brunt of a Siamese Dream-esqe tone is an Electro Harmonix Big Muff (NYC, not Russian) into an overdriven Marshall head. That's really the key, but I have no idea how to replicate that in Amplitube.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

http://www.alternativenation.net/alternative-nation-interview-billy-corgan/

Pretty good interview where he sort of explains what happened with Mike and Nicole.

Sounds like he wanted to give up their other projects

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

And at the same time, live, To Sheila goes from a post-Nick Drake textural dream to messily-strummed singer-songwriter crap. Not all of the record benefited from being rocked-up.

I really liked the Machina tour arrangement where James was playing the slide guitar.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Platypus Farm posted:

He's been so normal lately. It's kinda weird, like when your creepy uncle stops telling dirty jokes about your sixteen year old cousin.

Also, this is the most interesting part to me, with regard to the Machina re-release:

"Oh yeah. We’re going to remix the entire album and sort of put it back together the way it was originally conceived, which is kind of this rock opera with a story that I never got to finish for a whole host of political reasons. And personal. So, the idea is to finally finish the work. That’s gonna be a massive undertaking."

I thought I read Billy said Flood had signed onboard for remixing/resequencing.

If this actually happens it'll be a safe bet it'll be the only reissue I'll be willing to buy. I always had a soft spot for Machina in all it's slick sheen (over)produced glory.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Man, listening the Vh1 Storytellers boot, Jimmy really pulls "Dusty & Pistol Pete" to another place.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

The piano version of Today they played for VH1 Storytellers is the best version of any of their songs, ever. Holy poo poo, it's flawless.

When you have Michael Garson just doing whatever the gently caress he wants over your songs, they're gonna be pretty good.

It also speaks volumes Billy was willing to go "You know what? You know way more about theory and jazz and all that stuff than I will ever know, so just do whatever the hell you want"

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Wow, Billy looks really happy to be there in the video footage!

Edit: Found the show on archive. It's really sad that they all seem HAPPY. D'arcy's little "thank you" speech is really heartwarming considering she, uh, you know, hit the crack kinda hard.

It's a little sad that a qualifier for a good show is "Hey they're all happy!" but some of the machina-era shows towards the end of the band are PAINFUL. There's video of james just literally leaving the stage while still playing guitar during the last encore, Billy calling him out and then handing the mic over to some superfan girl who is so oblivious as to what's happening.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 7, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

He's also doing the music for some net only show on Hulu.

I had this huge pet theory that the song "Glass and The Ghost Children" was about D'arcy's drug problem and being kicked out of the band.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Mishaco posted:

As for James, sure its a deflection but you know what? each month he cashes royalty checks for SP poo poo sold. By doing that, he does open himself up to continuous questions about his old band. I am sure they are tiring and boring, but guess what? most questions people ask are too.
You just smile and push through.

Apparently what pushed Corgan from "They're good but misguided people" to "Iha is a piece of poo poo" was the lawsuit over the royalties from ringtones, back in 2008. Iha wanted money from it, even tho he and Jimmy (maybe D'arcy too?) put a TON of money into AOL back in '94 and...well, I think you can guess what happened there.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Presumably his ego won't allow something so unimportant, but after Machina he should have just gone solo and released unassuming 35 minute indie-acoustic albums every couple of years along the lines of To Sheila and Pistol Pete.

If he released that ill-fated acoustic folk album instead of or in conjunction with TheFutureEmbrace then I'm positive it would have separated him from the pumpkins and kickstarted a second phase of his career, albeit plastered all over adult-contemporary radio.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Jeff Schroeder accepted my request to follow him on instagram. :allears:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Billy seems to keep the modern-rock-drums-with-sample sound from Oceania, but I actually think it fits with Tommy Lee's drums since he's not trying to fill a Jimmy-Chamberlin sized hole with playing (not dissing Mike either, hell of a drummer, but was trying to fill that hole even more with coping Jimmy's style)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I read the blog entries because I'm a nerd, I get the feeling Billy's really trying to be a smash sensation like he was in the 90s, maybe to prove a point that talent and hard work can overcome the demise of the music industry? Or maybe it's just all :350:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

baka kaba posted:

THE PISSANT

Apparently the b0lly corrigan thing used to annoy him. A typo that almost passed unnoticed in a web chat until James said "who the gently caress is bolly" and then a legend was born. No wonder there was internal drama

Holy gently caress I remember that.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Slackerish posted:

I know someone who was Billy's PA for awhile and apparently he really does talk like that.

holy gently caress. I want stories/anecdotes, NOW!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really love Mary Star of the Sea (or at least like 2/3 of it), but I loving hated thefutureembrace or whatever. It's not the synthpop poo poo that bothers me, it just didn't seem that good.

That's because the best song was on a loving compilation only available at Target:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRTy1iLt2c

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy poo poo, thanks for all the engineering tidbits and the pics.

For the record, my pet theory is that Mike and Nicole got the ax because they weren't willing to give up their side projects for the group.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I feel like b0lly may have shot himself in the foot. I would have been a little more convinced if he just kinda went thru the revolving door of rhythm section members for however long he's gonna do it, but now it's just gonna always be against Jimmy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Happy 20th anniversary of the release of MCIS.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I definitely got on the bus 9 years too late, but it's the album that made me switch from "I wanna play in a band" to "I wanna make RECORDS"

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I guess hell has frozen over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqtY2yjPN4

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Guessing one time thing.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

No Go, no go.

So, does James Iha actually have a kid, or did he take some artistic liberties with the lyrics there?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

LordPants posted:

I like Zwan :negative:

There are dozens of us out there.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really hated Monuments. Which is weird, because I thought Oceania was great.

I'm kinda afraid "Oceania" is gonna be the last Pumpkins album that was written with the help of an actual band. It seems like Nicole and Mike had more than their fair share of input on the arrangements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

A similar anecdote I've heard is that Phil Collins is (or at least was, not sure about now) a human metronome, and was always able to play the tempo that you asked for. If you said 80 bpm, he'd loving play 80 bpm, like a machine.

Allegedly, some engineer once put a click track on for when he was recording something or other, and he nearly lost his mind, and went apeshit on the guy.

EDIT: Welp, googling about that just leads to a bunch of info about how he DID use a click a bunch of times, so it's probably not true :shobon:

Brian Eno said that Chris Frantz from Talking Heads pointed out that the click for a song was off-time. Everyone thought he was full of poo poo, until the engineer pointed out there was a 10 millisecond delay in the click track.

Edit: I always thought Jimmy just played a bunch of small splash cymbals on "Try", I'll never unhear it now.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 24, 2016

• Locked thread