Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gmc9987 posted:

I'm getting a very Felix Colgrave vibe from this. But in a very good way, with your own style attached. I mean that in the best way.

I went to ~animation school~ with felix and he is a dear friend so maybe I got infected by his genius at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

content
Feb 13, 2014

bitmap posted:

I went to ~animation school~ with felix and he is a dear friend so maybe I got infected by his genius at some point

Ahhh that's so cool. Both you guys make such amazing stuff.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bitmap posted:

thankyou all for your kind words. it's fun to just sit down and animate some bullshit after being booked on commercial junk for 2 straight years. :shepface:

Again I'm a really big fan of your colors, like the less saturated magentas and stuff. It lends a very interesting feel to your animation!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

The Golden Gael posted:

Again I'm a really big fan of your colors, like the less saturated magentas and stuff. It lends a very interesting feel to your animation!

thankyou! I am, however, a colour hack who suffers under deep ridicule in my studio for having a bad case of "always just using pink". Here is another thing.

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I’m working on a stop motion and it’s coming out cool but I spent three hours and then got 3 seconds of video lol.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

cannot pake posted:

I’m working on a stop motion and it’s coming out cool but I spent three hours and then got 3 seconds of video lol.
Haha but that is actually pretty good time if it were traditional animation.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bitmap posted:

thankyou! I am, however, a colour hack who suffers under deep ridicule in my studio for having a bad case of "always just using pink". Here is another thing.

See I do like it but I miss the pink, haha

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

here is another one

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

here is a burning cop car, falling through space. 3d can be fun but it confuses me.

PearlJamFan
Jun 30, 2008

Don't see some men as half empty, I see them half full of shit.
Personal project I made for the gently caress of it while I was off work combating depression. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/zg3p2njS9QI

PearlJamFan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 1, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hello I made babby's first walk cycle

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Good job! Now draw your arcs my friend! The arm in the foreground doesn't drop as much as I think it should. If you draw an arc of the path of his hand before you place your extremes down you will know how long that arm has to be. After that hit up timing charts to see how to space how that easing in and out of the motion.

The Animator's Survival Kit is pretty decent for that sort of thing.

Keep it up!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That's a problem I was facing during the process; I haven't figured out the answer yet--I drew this with the guy actually moving left to right, which helped me keep the guy in step (or so I hope), but then I can't draw arcs for the elbows and wrist, because the left to right movement and sine wave motion of the torso would make those arcs into... some other shape. I could solve that by fixing the torso in place so I see the relative movements of the arms, but then I wouldn't be able to do the legs correctly.

What's the solution here? Do the legs first, then center all the frames and work on the arms? Because by the time I was halfway through I was wishing I had done that.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
It's usually best to have a walkcycle walk in place so it's easier to make your arcs and everything look nice. You can basically draw all your arcs in one place and line all your frames up. If you are having trouble with the foot placement you can just make sure the planted foot (only the planted foot) moves at a constant rate. Basically every frame it should move the same distance. You could measure and divide the stride by the number of frames. Keep at it, looks good for your first attempt!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cannot pake posted:

If you include all the planning stages, set and support building, editing etc, my friend and I spent 10 hours a second on our Legomatrix video.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Took the advice you guys gave; drew this one walking in place, keeping track of the heel's travel distance between frames. Also drew arcs for the heels and the wrists, but now I've learned the value of having a timing chart, because the arms are moving slowly mid-swing while snapping in and out of the extremes, and I'm pretty sure it would look better the other way around.

The arm swing arc is a crescent because I was trying to allow for the arm length changing when the guy tilts into the background/foreground.

Edit: I was trying to do a double bounce in 3/4 view but I think I have my hands full just getting a normal walk in.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 12, 2018

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
By George I think you've got it. Very nice improvement. Now add little swoops at the ends of the arm arc where the hand goes (I'd draw it, but I have to get to work- just check online). And yes, the timing chart essentially just tells you to have more frames near the ends of that movement and less in the middle to sell the acceleration of the arm swing. But if you do those two things (get your timing and tiny arcs) I feel like that will solve the hand snapping back and forth and give it a more natural feel at the extremes.

It looks good though, especially for your 2nd walk cycle. It has a nice sense of volume. Once you have it down you can make him bounce, limp, walk with a stick in his rear end... all sorts of fun stuff.

Look at me, I've gone from writing, doing pitch boards, animating my own stuff to giving a little advice (also listen to other people's advice over mine... they went to school for this poo poo- I'm just reading books and watching the youtubes).

I'm doing it Peter!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Watching the popping on the arm spacing, and the overlap extreme on the hand is hitting too soon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Made a few more afterwards:

3/4ths walks seem significantly harder than side or front.

I was trying to use boxes and cylinders so I could understand the movement and forms better but I got lazy with the arms and just started using gestural shapes. Hopefully the double bounce is noticeable and not futile or distracting.

Tried to make the above into something a little less formal, though it feels a bit too traced; I'll need to work on improving that.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 15, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
That third one has really great character and energy, I don't think it looks too traced or too anything.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

zip zip

Good start, Argue. Try hanging at the extremes of your arcs a bit more and getting a bit more varied in the spacing between them. This will help communicate "intent" and make it feel a bit more textured. For example, look at the spacing on the frames of the "zombies" arms. Ease into the extremes to the left and right, then ease out, hit a big space in the centre, then ease in more tightly into the opposite extreme.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

bitmap posted:

Ease into the extremes to the left and right, then ease out, hit a big space in the centre, then ease in more tightly into the opposite extreme.

Not 100% sure I understand what it means to ease in more tightly; do you mean the arm movement should look something like this?
code:
 -  -    -      -           -                -   -  - - 

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
|-|-|--|--|--|---|----|------|------|-----|---|---|---|---|--|--|--|-|-|-|

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

yeah that's the stuff.

I'm working on this thing right now where I've been given free reign to just go nuts with two hero shots on a cool thing. It feels so good to stretch out on full 2d character animation and without a trace of ego I am turning out some really great work. I know it sounds like aimless bragging because I can't show anything yet but I'll put it here first as soon as I can. :)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, that zombie one was too small so I made a new one with the hands easing in and out. This is painfully obvious but I drew this one straight ahead since I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys were saying.

Then I went and did a more irregular walk cycle, one which gives me a reason to have more variation in timing.

Not gonna be my last walk cycle by a long shot but I do think I'll go ahead and start on the sneaks and runs part of the book now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Argue posted:

Okay, that zombie one was too small so I made a new one with the hands easing in and out. This is painfully obvious but I drew this one straight ahead since I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys were saying.

Then I went and did a more irregular walk cycle, one which gives me a reason to have more variation in timing.

Not gonna be my last walk cycle by a long shot but I do think I'll go ahead and start on the sneaks and runs part of the book now.

I think the effect of heaving the object is a good thought and well timed BUT if you wanted to expand this i'd recommend breaking it down into littler actions...which you've drawn the heads for already! just like time it uneasily so it looks more like he's struggling if you get my drift

PearlJamFan
Jun 30, 2008

Don't see some men as half empty, I see them half full of shit.
An other short animated project I made :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmvMYHMFnqU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the Pixel animation thread, but I figure this fits the bill - I've got aspirations to one day cobble together a DnD-themed multiplayer sidescroller a la Golden Axe or streets of rage, and have been slowly toying with animating sprites. So far I've nearly got a full sprite sheet for the Fighter, minus the fine details, just blocking in the main colors. Still haven't settled on a final style, but I figure that once that animations are done, I can slog away at filling in the details.

Idle, Run, Change Directions

1 hit, 2 hit, 3 hit combos

Parry, Riposte

Down + B Execution

The only animations I still want to include are a Forward-Dodge, Back-Dodge, Walk and Stunned/Prone, and maybe a few transition frames from idle => walk. Actually, that seems like a lot now that I write it out. At any rate, it's pretty satisfying to see all the animations next to one another, reminds me how much I've done so far and encourages me to keep pluggin away at it slowly. Haven't even begun to work on the full sheets for these guys, only done their idle animations. -

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Those are very good. I actually prefer the clean style without all the shading because the shading looks too much like the result of a dodge/burn tool in Photoshop. Also I think the action reads a lot clearer if there's not so much detail on the sprites.

You've got the sense of weight/timing/antics/overlap all down really great.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

those are good. I notice a little pop on the 1 hit combo fighter's left foot.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

These here'n are some art from my upcoming boxing match film. I drew a lot today!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I made this little animation of a car, and my freind designed the characters for it.

It was for a youtube series i'm working on, This one was all about how to make animation for instagram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLgAYCWRF9g

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I made a happy whale in Opentoonz. I made happy music for him in LMMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTaXn--Zgo

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Typical posted:

I made this little animation of a car, and my freind designed the characters for it.

I forgot to comment on this, and it's been so long since I posted that I'm bumping...

This was helpful. I was trying to figure out how to animate a large rat driving a rocket car over a hill that is rotating back and the symbol breakdown in the video let me have a breakthrough!

Thanks.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I made thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxQQV9PNlU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/leighlahav/status/1012102806566723584

quote:

When I started at Pixar as an intern, I thought I’d landed my dream job. But my excitement was quickly tempered by a flood of warnings about Lasseter’s touchy-feely, boundary-crossing tendencies with female employees. It was devastating to learn, right from the start, that women were open targets for disrespect and harassment –– even at a world-renowned workplace in the most liberal-leaning city in the country. I was likewise told to steer clear of a particularly chauvinistic male lead in my department. Much like John, this man’s female targets had been reporting his vulgar, unprofessional behaviors for years, but his position and demeanor remained much the same.

I had my first uncomfortable encounter with this department head in a company kitchen, just two weeks into my internship. He cornered me with sexual comments while openly leering at my body. Over the next five years, I white-knuckled my way through many unwelcome, objectifying interactions with him, with Lasseter, and with other men; was physically groped by another male coworker; and was sidelined from projects by the unofficial boys’ club casting system.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pixar-boys-club-john-lasseter-cassandra-smolcic-1202858982/

its cool how multiple times when ive brought stuff like this up to other men in the games/animation industry i get told to not talk about it but jesus loving christ this poo poo is so sickening

https://byrslf.co/pixars-sexist-boys-club-9d621567fdc9?gi=5e8b19b37270

oh also here's the original medium article which is longer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I just made my first ever stop motion thingy, which was a lot of fun. It's a video for a song I wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhTbRTZuWg

I basically did this just to learn the process in preparation for some longer projects, but I think turned out pretty well on its own; sorta Gondry-esque without the artistic skill.

I used Stop Motion Studio Pro ($10) and used a clamp-on desk microphone boom ($16) and mic stand to camera adapter ($9) to shoot it.

The whole process took about twelve hours. I can see myself getting kinda hooked on this, at least for a while.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Hi animation mega thread. I dunno if it's okay to post job listings here or if I should be keeping it to the careers thread but oh well.

I'm looking to hire a few full-time 2D animators. Kind of a random thing to say, but I work super closely with Ne-Yo, and creative direct a lot of random stuff. He is starting his own animation studio to produce animated shows for syndicated television/digital content. He needs a few in-house 2D artists to start working on a loving ton of projects, pretty much asap. The studio is in a massive, super nice compound located in Los Angeles, comes equipped with some nice custom built workstations, and all the pizza rolls your heart could desire. It is in-house in Los Angeles, so you'd need to be in southern California or be willing to re-locate etc etc etc

Comes with a competitive salary, and as mentioned there are a ton of show ideas that already/will have deals for syndicated TV or will live on the internet.

If you guys are interested I'd love to give you first crack at it. Or if you aren't, but know somebody else who is, please send them my way!

I don't have PMs but you can email me at:

robertborashan@gmail.com

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SVU Fan posted:

If you guys are interested I'd love to give you first crack at it. Or if you aren't, but know somebody else who is, please send them my way!

I don't have PMs but you can email me at:

robertborashan@gmail.com

I know a few Cal Arts grads who may be interested, they may be emailing you soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Ccs posted:

I know a few Cal Arts grads who may be interested, they may be emailing you soon.

That's awesome, much appreciated! CalArts has a pretty good animation rep, so they'd probably have a good shot.