Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Just dropped by here to mention TVPaint (formerly Mirage). It is by far the most powerful raster-based frame animation software around. The learning curve is like woah. It is as difficult to learn as your average 3D program. It is not intuitive or user-friendly AT ALL at the outset, but once you get a handle on it, it's infinitely customizable. Multiple workspaces (like, you can have one for your timeline, one for fullscreen drawing, one for background painting, each with separate interface and palette elements); customizable keyboard shortcuts; plugins; video capture (excellent for stop-motion or for classical 2D on paper); storyboards and animatics...it will do pretty much everything you want it to do.

(this isn't my drawing, just a screenshot of what the interface looks like)

I have been struggling and flailing around with Flash, Flipbook, Pencil (a worthy open-source app that has fallen by the wayside), and Plastic Animation Paper, and none of them holds a candle to TVPaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Automatic Jack posted:

I go to animation school and we use Flipbook for pencil testing, Photoshop (some use FB) for clean-up, After Effects for compositing individual scenes and Premiere for putting it all together with sound and whatnot. Some use Flipbook for coloring but I think it's kind of janky, so Photoshop is a decent bet, though there's probably better programs out there.

Here's a short graduate film I helped out on (I colored the dog animation in Photoshop) using roughly the process I just described. I can give you more details if you like. The animation was done on paper and scanned though, so if you're planning to do it digitally, the process might be slightly altered... But After Effects will handle pretty much everything after the coloring stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGACBGenG0

Can you talk a little bit more about paper->Flipbook->Photoshop etc workflow?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Hinchu posted:

Is the Thief and the Cobbler worth seeing? I read Richard Williams' animation book which was really good, but the movie looks like a bad Aladdin rip off from the trailer.

It's good in theory. There's no doubt that the animation is technically without equal. But it's exhausting to watch and doesn't really have a heart, in my opinion.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

spicybackpain posted:

I thought I'd share my most recent cartoon -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOQBzju_GI

I based this cartoon off of a conversation I had with someone who was actually concerned that their 2 year old son preferred a pink tea set over a monster truck toy. Not fully understanding that grown men do drink tea, they lamented over the fact that he might become confused genderwise in the near future.

I suggested that Mattel come out with a manly coffee set instead of a tea set. Although I was joking, they insisted that I try to patent this 'amazing' idea.

I made this instead.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I hope your stuff goes viral like crazy, I love them!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

moss piglet posted:

I was thinking of making some animations from photographs of people I know, and wanted some advice as to how to go about it.

The idea was to take a decent 3:4 ratio photograph of the top half of a person, then lay an animation cel over and trace with a Sharpie marker. I'd do this maybe 5-8 times, then scan and put the resulting images in a loop. I know it'd look like Squigglevision or the characters from Hotel Dusk:

but more static, as these would just be from still photographs, with no attempt at motion or change of expression.

My question is, what materials to use for the first try? I was thinking of using the cheapest animation cels I could find (I can get those at the average comic book or campus art supply store, right?) and Sharpie markers for the tracings, then scan. After that, I was thinking of printing the tracings out on bristol and then using brushes with different dilutions of sumi-e or india ink to put in some wash shading.

Am I thinking in the wrong direction as far as materials?

You could use transparent acetate (the kind used for classroom overhead projectors) and wet-erase pen (the Sanford brand is Vis-a-Vis). Cheap and available at any old office supply store. Obviously, use only a laser printer to print out your tracing, because the majority of inkjet printer ink is water soluble. Also, you might have to try a few different weights and types of bristol board, because some of them might not fuse with the laser toner, which can result in the toner flaking off.

Even so, I would say don't bother trying to hand-ink each frame. The boil of the different washes will be too distracting on top of the line boil. Instead, I would do one tonal wash and composite it against all the lines. Here's what I'm talking about :

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

moss piglet posted:

Excellent, I hadn't thought about regular office acetone or a static wash. What would be a good way of making one? Scanning one from a line drawing then digitally removing the black lines?

I'd like to hear more

For the static wash, I would take all your inked acetates and put them together into a stack, then put your bristol board on top. Then use a light table (or just hold the stack against a window) and very lightly trace the lines in pencil onto the bristol board. Stacking all your acetates together for this step will help you get a good "average" line, so you won't heavily favor any one of your outline frames. Then you can ink wash the paper, scan and overlay your lines without the pencil really showing up much.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Here's something I did to take my mind off the soul-crushing freelance project I'm in the middle of now.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Nate Breakman posted:

Oh man, his bit running up the stairs is adorable. You've got a great, classic style. Do you have anything else to show?

Thank you! I wish I had more to show for my efforts, but I've just been teaching myself over the course of many years. It's been very slow going, and only now am I beginning to be able to make longer pieces.

Right now I'm working on another entry for the 11 Second Club.
Here's an entry from a couple years ago.

I have toyed with the idea of going to school for animation, but I'm not interested in 3D, and I'm not convinced I'd be able to make a living doing hand-drawn animation. I fear that the only jobs I would find would be horrible symbol-based Flash animation for commercials and children's TV.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HYMEN.SYS posted:

So I'd like to get into some really basic animation, but I'm really at a loss as to where to start. I understand the principles of a lot of basic to advanced concepts mostly because of the VFX stuff and motion graphics work, but everything I know about traditional animation I just know second hand rather than from actually doing it myself. Is there a good super beginners guide to traditional animation? I just want to do this as an attempt to see if I'd enjoy it as a hobby.

So far, all I've done is a 6 second bit where a stick man's head falls off and he falls over. I'm pretty much 100% sure I have to work on other timing exercises and the likes first though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkTHtrWcZ1k

The three big guides people tend to recommend are: Preston Blair's book on cartoon animation; The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams, and the Illusion of Life by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.

However, you can find good tutorials online explaining the rationale behind animating a bouncing ball. All of the most crucial beginning concepts are within the bouncing ball exercise. Don't just read about it and think you understand it (which is what I did for years). Go and draw it with your own two hands, and you'll be 500% further along already.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Pregnant Turtle posted:

The latest version of Anime Studio Pro - version 8, which just came out several days ago - allows a nifty way of animating via Photoshop. Anime Studio Pro (ASP) is an animation program; it costs $200.

Here's how the process works. You make your art in Photoshop, keeping in mind that each layer in your single Photoshop file will be a frame of animation, once imported into ASP. After you import the file into ASP, you adjust the timing of each layer to your satisfaction, then render the final cartoon (for YouTube, a HD home movie, whatever).

Another cool feature: if you have Photoshop and ASP open at the same time, you can make changes to the layer-art in Photoshop and the changes will appear immediately in ASP. Drawing, erasing, etc. No need to save first in Photoshop and re-import. The two programs maintain a live connection once the Photoshop file is imported.

:aaaaa:
THIS IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HYMEN.SYS posted:

http://www.jrawebinar.com/index.php/resources/ramp-up-tutorials.html

These tutorials are great.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HYMEN.SYS posted:

They are! Using this and the various books I have, I put together my first video that isn't a man whose head falls off, killing him and forcing him to void his bowels. I give you "Ball that bounces and then for some reason a few seconds of nothing happening because Toon Boom exported funny!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a44_gXQZmxg

My timing feels all over the place. In some places it feels way too fast, but in others it feels way too slow. I really don't want to poo poo up the thread with my really basic beginner concepts stuff though, is there a place I can go with this, or..?

edit: Motherfucker, I just realised that I totally ballsed up the beginning of each bounce.

This is a really great start. Are you charting your drawings yet?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Not yet. When I say I'm just beginning, I really do mean the beginning. So I'm starting on page one of every book and working my way forward from there. I've made the mistake of starting somewhere other than the beginning in things far too many times.

That is excellent. I made that mistake forever before I just buckled down at page 1.

Don't be afraid to add some squash/stretch to your ball bounce, even at this early stage. Even though it might seem superfluous to the fundamental principles, it actually is one of the fundamental principles. It will do a lot to convey the feel of a real physical object and not just a moving "icon." It also helps you practice consistent volumetric drawing.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redjenova posted:

I too am a pretty painfully-new beginner to animation, and as much information as I've gleaned from the Animator's Survival Kit, I'd love to hear someone else go over charting. I guess I'm just easily confused :shobon:

Nah, it's just really confusing in general. It's hard to explain.

Here are 3 timelines, each going from A to B in 24 frames. The "timing" is the same, it's always one second from start to finish.

But with different spacing!
On frame 1, everyone is at the same place:

But notice that because it's zipping out of the gate faster, in frame 7, (III) is already at the halfway point:

The other two are lingering at their starting points. (I) doesn't get to the halfway mark until frame 13:

And (II) later still, at frame 19:

By frame 25, everyone has arrived:

The hashmarks on the timelines show how grouping the drawings closer or father apart changes the momentum. When you do a more complex action, you make similar timing charts -- not to show the literal placement of objects in space, but as a suggestion of relative "closeness" or degree of difference between two drawings in a series.

So you might have a foot kicking, and drawing 1 is the foot all the way back, drawings 3, 5 and 7 are still very close to the starting point, and then drawing 9 suddenly snaps out to the halfway point, drawing 11 close to full extension, drawing 13 closer still, and finally coming to rest on drawing 15 at the full extension. You'd draw a timing chart that looks something like this for that action:

Timing charts show relative degree of motion/change/speed. Big gaps = fast motion = lots of change. Small, closely-packed hashmarks = gradual motion/slow motion.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redjenova posted:

Here's a new question for those more experienced than I; what's a good way to go about doing pencil tests for someone who is a complete and utter beginner?

Is scanning drawings the way people go about it usually? Photographing? I downloaded the trial version of Flipbook and not only do I have no idea how to work the thing, but I have no real way to keep my images registered to photograph them OR scan them. I was going to try to scan them with a pegbar taped to the scanner but I only have printer scanners and it doesn't really fit in there. If I was back at school I could use the large scanner, but eh... summer vacation.

The only webcam I have is the one built into my macbook screen and it makes using it for this kind of thing unnecessarily cumbersome, not to mention I still don't know how to make sure the images all come out in the same spot. I also have a Canon Rebel, but no tripod or anything like that. And I've no idea how to import images from that camera directly into a program like Flipbook.

Can anyone shed some light on how they prefer to do this and what rigs/programs they use?

Scanning is very slow unless you have a sheet-fed scanner. Scanning is usually reserved for final drawings which are ready to be colored and/or composited.

Photographing is a lot quicker, especially when you have a computer doing the capturing from a live video stream. In Flipbook, you can assign the "Capture" (from TWAIN scanner or camera) to a keyboard shortcut. If your drawings have visible holes, Flipbook should also register them automatically. If you have trouble with Flipbook, call the guy on the phone and have him help you, he is very nice and offers free tech support.

The tricky part is always getting the drawings to stay registered, and getting the camera to be vertical relative to the drawing stack. The other problem is consistent and very bright lighting. I futzed with this using various half-assed measures for a long time before I broke down and bought an animation stand. Nowadays I'm almost completely paperless and hardly ever use the stand.

...want to buy an animation stand? :razz:

EDIT:

Hinchu posted:

My question is how does that help a single person producing a piece of animation? I generally just intuitively start drawing and spacing out action and do my timing then. It seemed like charting was more about laying down instructions for assistants (which I don't have, haha).

I just do it because it helps me plan. It took me way longer than it should have to understand the timing/spacing fast/slow thing, and when I plan my animation now I chart things to remind myself where I want the fast and slow parts. If you can intuitively time your actions and they look right, then you don't need to chart.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 28, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Chernabog posted:

Animation supplies are ridiculously expensive, an animation paper puncher can cost you hundreds of dollars.

There is no good reason to use Acme pegs now. Use 3-hole pegs.

*durr, edit, I should say, if you are making films by yourself and scanning and such, and not making them in a major studio with traditional camera equipment, there is no good reason to use Acme pegs.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 29, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redjenova posted:

Ah. So is there some super-ghetto, way cheaper than that much money alternative? Heh.

The old law of the universe applies here: FAST CHEAP GOOD (pick two)

FAST & GOOD (NOT CHEAP)
- sheet-fed scanner
- animation stand and good camera

GOOD & CHEAP (NOT FAST)
- flatbed scanner
- welding your own animation stand from scratch

FAST & CHEAP (NOT GOOD)
- pegbar and a webcam/digicam

Of all these options, your best first step is probably to buy a cheap digital camera and a GorillaPod. Then you can set up your pegbar on the floor, and hook your GorillaPod to the edge of a table looking downward. You will still deal with inconsistent lighting and image distortion, but you'll get good enough registration to line test.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Nate Breakman posted:

Another little doodle I did. Probably about four hours or so.

Character is from GastroPhobia.

Nice! You should send it to the Gastrophobia artist...

So, I've been writing a tutorial about building an animated segment from a "comic strip" skeleton. It's sort of a distillation of the approach Richard Williams recommends, but a bit modified. I will post a link here when I put it up on my site.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
In case anyone is interested: the animation subreddit is having a weekend GIF Rush. This week's theme is: ANIMALS.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
OK so I'm working on my submission for the 11 second club. Can I get some feedback on where it's at so far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMOb75cZjdg

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

tuna posted:

It's looking good, but I have to say that the energy level in the acting is quite far beyond what the voice is giving out in the first half. I'd honestly say his gestures need to be 10% of that size, and closer up.

You're using 4 big poses and gestures on 'you', 'possibly', 'be' and 'dumber' that don't really vary in size or direction. In fact his right arm does the same motion each time. You'd want to break this up quite a lot otherwise the large gestures become redundant and drown each other out as there's no contrast, just big.

You've also got completely locked and squared up feet for these large gestures which is limiting what you could do physically and acting wise. It's an unnatural stance that doesn't really read as to how he's feeling.

The 2nd half is way better because the energy level is matching up great, he's moving nicely and his stance at the end works, although his hips are perhaps a bit too twisted towards the camera. Also don't neglect anticipation on big gestures like 'redeem'.

Honestly I think the root of the problem in the first half is your staging. It's a quiet spoken piece there and having a wide shot of both characters, showing full body is just awkward and needless, with a bunch of wasted space. Cuts are awesome for big changes in energy or tempo or revealing jokes, etc. They're also a great cheat, so use them! You're always going to animate slightly differently depending on how the staging is working, and I think you shoeboxed yourself into acting choices that were clear and visible in such a wide shot, that may not quite be the right acting choices overall.

Thanks for the advice! It's interesting to hear you say that, because I felt better about the beginning part than the second half. However, I think you are right on w/r/t the staging and camera choices being a limitation.

Thinking about camera placement/shot design has always been the most difficult thing for me. I get very caught up in the technical demands of character movement and forget about basic filmmaking principles.

I think I'm going to have to finish cleanup on this one as it is (warts and all) and submit it, because while your other criticisms of it are correct, I won't have enough time to really re-think and re-do by the 31st. I made some big workflow breakthroughs this time around, so I am more optimistic about my ability to plan out and execute something better next month.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Dodgeball posted:

Someone earlier mentioned not liking story-boarding walk-cylces towards the camera. Why did you hate that?

Because in order to make the character actually appear to be progressing, you can't really "cycle" the walk - you have to figure the perspective changes as the character gets closer. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think 2D and 3D are equally difficult. When you're working in 3D, you have so many adjustments to make, and you have to make them all manually. There are certain complex things which are done so simply with a drawing. If you know how to draw, you can cheat constantly. CONSTANTLY. Look at the pencil tests for any of the great animators, and it's non-stop chicanery, like some kind of uncanny magic trick.

The advantage to 3D is that, if you aren't a totally godly draftsman, you can still produce masterful finished footage. But it takes the same amount of skill and effort.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Welp, I'm back from a self-requested ban. I think it's time for a new avatar. What should I make for it?
(I used to have the headbanging T. rex)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I hate books

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Kikka posted:

I've been designing a character for an animation I'm making currently. I've followed John K's guidelines to designing an efficient character for animation, and here's the design I have for my main character so far:

I'm pretty happy with him so far. He's also super fun to animate!

Looking good so far. Put more cushion drawings on the antic to slow it down.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Kikka posted:

I'm not entirely sure if the animation is a bit too fast due to Firefox; regardless, I agree. The jump from the crouched pose to the shocked one is a bit too jerky.

I'm using Chrome and it's still fast.

I imported your GIF into TVPaint and it said the frame rate is 33.3 fps. When I slowed it down to 24 it looks much better.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

korusan posted:

My friend and I released our first cartoon we're not completed embarrassed by last week for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYE8VwEXn7A

I did the script and roughs, and he outlined and coloured it. We both did voicing. The overall narrative might be confusing as hell for some of you, but it's basically a "we're getting our game done next year!" program anyways, so don't pay too much attention to it!

My question is; how good is the animation and voicing? We want to do some more short toons next year, maybe even make a series of them, but we need to know what direction to go in. Thanks for watching! :)
I like the acting, the animation really fits the delivery of the lines. I think the character design and particularly the color design could be better. When it comes to limited animation, max out the assets you have to make them as appealing as possible. It doesn't have to be slick (in fact, I particularly like the organic linework of the designs you have), but try to bring your characters into a unified color scheme.

JohnK talks about the Flintstones a lot on his blog as an example of a limited animation show which was made extremely appealing and attractive by good character design, good color design and good acting:

Flash cartoons frequently suffer from computer-itis, where the colors are wayyyyy too "hot" and feel like they're glowing or vibrating against each other.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
So now you can take a great FX animation course from Adam Phillips for $25AU/mo.
I just signed up and did the first exercise, and I like the way it's planned and spaced so as to 1) not overwhelm you, and 2) encourage you to actually practice the techniques in each lesson before moving on to the next.

Exercise 1) Lightning

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Imaginary Friend posted:

Still looks a bit unpolished but I'm getting there woop woop :)
http://youtu.be/WnKqj3rotTs

Feedback appreciated where to add extra frames and stuff >_>

Can you please loop things like this a few times when you render them? It's really hard to replay the way YouTube is set up.

Issue #1 that I can see: things don't fall in diagonal lines. Unless your character is supposed to be hovering and not affected by gravity at all, he's going to fall in an arc, and jump away in an arc. That means that basic ball-bounce physics are in play: namely, more drawings when the falling object is at the top of its arc, fewer as it accelerates, fewer as it bounces off the ground because it's still going fast, and then more drawings as it "slows in" to the top of the bounce.

When he hits the ground, hold for a couple frames before initiating the "takeoff." Also, you don't have enough anticipation before the takeoff, not enough coiled-up-spring kind of action to make the jump explosive. Again, if he's flying or hovering, then those physics-based aspects don't apply as much.

I tried to make an example showing how I would approach this, but since I'm not sure about the intention of your character (he seems like a strong or superhero type, so maybe he flies more than jumps), but hopefully this will still be relevant:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I've been trying to work on more fundamentals exercises. I learned a lot from this:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Right now the character is looking extremely big and heavy (very effective!), but a side consequence of that is that the run is very slow. In fact, it's not a "true" run, it's more of a canter, because at no time do all four feet leave the ground. It's a fantastic cycle all around, but depending on the speed/power you're going for, it could be pushed further.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Critique request-- my work in progress for this month's 11 second club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxeDdVVFkI

(by the way, it's a snowglobe, I'm going to animate the interior of it last)

I feel like I've been staring at it for too long and I can't see why it feels so wrong anymore.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

redjenova posted:

Interesting. Could you have just as easily just imported the Photoshop files and animated it with toon boom for rough tests? Or would you just have put that out in Photoshop?

If anybody's interested, these are really fascinating, and they have some making-of bits in there. I guess they painted every frame in Photoshop but also used After Effects for compositing. However they did it these are absolutely stunning.

http://motionographer.com/2012/10/15/process-psyops-prequels-for-dishonored/#more-49278
Heck, at this point you could conceivably animate the whole thing in PS, provided you're working with CS6. They put all the Extended animation functionality into the standard version. You can output a .mov or a frame sequence directly from PS.

There are also some weird voodoo things you can do with frame animation and Smart Objects, but that is a topic for another day.

Chernabog posted:

For rough tests we used Digicel Flipbook with a camera setup. This was about 5 years ago though, and I haven't used it ever since so it might not be so good for that anymore.
It hasn't changed in any meaningful way in five years. It's still OK for importing but it crashes like crazy.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Borden posted:

I just started using Photoshop for classical animation. I'm surprised how nice it is to work with. Does anybody else use Phtoshop for animation, and do you know if there's a way to scrub audio on the timeline?

Which version are you using? CS5 or CS6? There is an audio button (speaker button) on the Timeline panel in CS6. I don't believe there is a way to scrub audio in CS5 Extended.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I guess maybe I should be posting my animations in this thread too instead of just the daily doodles.

I had some kind of a mental breakthrough after watching a video of Mike Nguyen animating, and reading about his philosophy on his blog.

my avatar

this weird woman I saw walking

some straight-ahead animation

a Post-It note flipbook

a little film

a weird loop

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ethereal Duck posted:

Did a little test with abrupt movement and using the secondary animation to make it work. I'm relatively pleased with it, though the smears need some work.

This is great! Make it loop.

raging bullwinkle posted:

I've watched this all the way through multiple times now. It's great.

Thanks for making it!
Thanks for watching it! I'm working on a new one now but it's always slow going.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I suggest you move the credits/attribution to the beginning, because I think it's really cool that you also did the music yourself. Plus, because you boarded everything, you need to give people a heads up, or else they wouldn't know unless they watch all the way to the end (and I hear they frequently don't).

To that end, perhaps you want to do some side-by-sides of your storyboards with the final shots. The rough animation is cool to other animators, but it's sort of "part of the process." It doesn't show you can do an additional thing.

Also, hmmm... Even though the music is cool, one of your strengths is the fact that you animated these music videos to the music! That's an extra benefit which not everyone is good at. We have know way of knowing that from the reel, as it stands it just looks like you're obsessed with seafaring.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
HEY ANIMATORS! I'm making a 2D animation 101 tutorial series and I'd like to get a sense of what people want to know about. Please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I think something about how to animate facial expressions would be interesting.

Do you mean going from one facial expression to the other?

redjenova posted:

Don't know if you wanna go into a lot of detail about this, but timing is always something I want to hear more about. Like how to better make sure every moving piece in your animation is settling/moving/switching direction at the right times so it all looks natural. If that makes sense!

Yes this makes sense! It sounds like you're talking about overlapping action and I'd love to make a video about that. Is there an example of a situation you have in mind?