Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

es to es
Jan 16, 2010

by Peatpot

neonnoodle posted:

Just dropped by here to mention TVPaint (formerly Mirage).

As another TVPaint user, I'm glad to see some love for the application. I found the learning curve relatively easy and I use the application for everything but advanced compositing. The forums are great, though underused; but the development staff has been known to address issues from the forum overnight. They easily have the best support program I've seen because you have access to the programmers and they don't charge a dime. The standard version of the application (which is all I really need) only costs €475, so it's far more accessible than Toon Boom or Retas, but it's raster-based, so you have the flexibility of traditional work. I strongly recommend it to all traditional animators.

Additionally, the ability to create custom brushes and behaviours is a life-saver and the community encourages sharing custom content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

es to es
Jan 16, 2010

by Peatpot

Quest For Glory II posted:

Learning Toon Boom…

As a former spokesperson for Toon Boom, I liked their product. The Harmony Suite (which I currently teach) was exquisite; then they started competing with Flash. The new releases are clunky, buggy, and offensive. They're the reason I switched to TVPaint.

Anyway, you're right about more studios using Toon Boom; that's partially my fault. If you need to create vector line-art, the older versions in the Harmony Suite (such as Digital Pro) and even the current version of Harmony are top notch. I would rank them above RETAS! Pro for everything but colour. Steer clear from Animate and Animate Pro, they include(d) such bugs as not saving.

As for WYSIWYG operation, programs like Digital Pro are about as WYSIWYG as you can get. Also, I've found Flash (the bane of my existence) to be clunkier than any other vector program (I will not do Flash the undeserved honour of calling it animation software). The interface on professional-level Toon Boom products may take some getting used to (although the aforementioned Animate and Animate Pro have modelled their interfaces after Flash), but it's fully customisable.

Yes, it's worth learning because it may cost you a job someday. I'm not necessarily advocating you switch over to Toon Boom entirely, but at least get used to the demo versions of their professional line. You never know when you'll need Toon Boom experience.

es to es
Jan 16, 2010

by Peatpot
Having used RETAS, I find it weird. It's a very powerful vector tool with some encouraging bitmap options, but the interface is clunky (breaking it up into 6? different programs doesn't help). The new version, currently unavailable in English, has resolved much of this issue, but it just doesn't fit my liking.

I would say that it does not in the least compare to TVPaint as it just isn't a bitmap application. Comparing it with Toon Boom, I'd say they have the same abilities that break down as such:

Vector Drawing Tools: >RETAS
Camera: >Toon Boom
Touch-Up: >RETAS
Effects: >Toon Boom
Usability: >Toon Boom
Colour: >RETAS
Scanning: >RETAS
Scanning Cleanup: Tie
Customisation: >Toon Boom
Plug-ins: >RETAS
Price: Toon Boom takes the cake at US$1000 for the entire program vs. US$995/module.