Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Scat Cat posted:

My reel which will hopefully net me an internship out west.
http://vimeo.com/8754807
lemme know what you think
There is some decent stuff in here, I really like the ball catch+roll, and the sneak is fun to look at.

Took a bunch of notes while watching, it might not make sense but here goes:
push/lift
* Anticipation at start is too off balance to be held for that long, and doesn't feel like he is getting ready to push at all. (nice music sync though :)
* Once he starts pushing it might look better if the block moved just a tiny tiny bit.
* During the "back-lift" there is no compression at all of the torso, this will look much better if he starts out squatted deeper down and then straightens up/handle resistance as he starts dealing with the weight. Also probably some kind of pause for adjusting when he gets it "off the ground" before it continues upwards.
* I don't feel the back-damage coming, his legs are struggling a bit but not the back or upper body or arms.
The damage pose+effect also feels strange, I think one problem here is that you have had him hurting his back in the way he would if he was lifting something "badly bent over forward", but in this case he was leaning back into the cube, which is a somewhat different strain.
*The way he walks offscreen would cause more strain on his back than a normal walk, so it doesn't come off as he is hurt, just like he has heavy shoes, try walking like that first, and then in a way that put as little strain on your back as possible and compare how it feels.

Run thing
* The way he runs feels like it would work if it was the first steps before accellerating up to speed, now however the wide gait comes off kinda strange as it just keeps the same tempo.
*Good job on the catch+roll I really like it. A few crits though:
Timing is weird at the start of the jump, he stays in the takeoff pose for a tiny bit too long compared to how quick the rest of the jump is.

The raising of the hand and throwing the ball down needs tweaking. I would say either have him "come out of the roll" with the hand already in the raised position, or come out with it lower and make the raising motion clearer/ more separate.
And the the way he moves after the ball is released is too slow, there is no "snap" in the throw.

Ball-guy
I think most of this could look really good if all the extreme-poses were held a frame or two less, it is a bit too "choppy" now

Sneak
It's pretty cool, I feel his torso might come down a bit too low, but all of it is so exaggerated that it still works.

Alienfish-guy
I don't get what he is doing at all. As for the model, it might have been easier with a different animation but the face is really hard to read, IE the eye-stalks feel like eyebrows, eye holes are eyes or holes or something and there are head-part pokey outey eyebrows that don't move.

Running woman
It's nice, the slowdown and stopping feels good.
During running arms are a little awkward though, might wanna fiddle with differing the acceleration as they go forward/back.

Swim1
Feels a little stiff, maybe you could push this a bit more towards "sine-waveyness", like starting the "next wave bending" of the character earlier to avoid the "completely straight poses". If that makes any sense at all.

Swim2
Nice, a little chest rotation would be nice since hips are moving so much up/down (i dunno how its rigged but just changing the breast outlines could add a lot)

Ghoul
Motion seems good overall, however the major feet sliding when the hands aren't moving in relation to the shoulders is distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

victrolaface posted:

My old reel. Maybe I'll make a new one if I ever decide to do animation again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvKx7_1JvE

Geisha "walk" was annoying and the ring game seemed pretty lame, but overall this was totally awesome.
I like how you have stuff in very different styles and still everything just feels quality. Nice.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

tuna posted:

Might as well post this. Last 5 months of animation at work on various projects. Here.

No personal more cartoony animation to show, yet, but give me a few months and I should have some of the technical stuff dealt with so I can start getting back on with animation.
I remember a bunch of years ago when when you posted some pretty good character+dialogue animations (11-second club entries maybe?), and talked about learning animation on your own or something. Really cool to see that you are doing crazy stuff at blur now.

Butterflysmasher posted:

Entered this for a 24 hour animation competition at my school: http://vimeo.com/8792212
This is pretty rad, what software do you use for pixel animation like that?
(also unscrewing light bulb with teeth is the best idea I've seen this year)