Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Megera posted:

Maybe just public universities have these people? :(

I had plenty going to school, most got weeded out in the concept development class for the senior film.

I just want to jump in and plug this badass thing I discovered. The Nintendo DSi has an animation studio in it. A straight-up, full on, free animation studio that you can download for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipnote_Studio

It's pretty simple, but it also means that you have a loving animated sketchbook that you can keep in your pocket and jot stuff into at any time. I've done more animating in the last month with this thing than I have in a long time.

You can also post what you've made to the internet. There's a ton of garbage out there and some generic 4chan idiocy, but there are some real loving gems.

Most will be along the lines of well-animated stick fighting:
http://flipnote.hatena.com/5A49699031CD318D@DSi/movie/CD318D_09167F40CF0F7_008?in=user

But every so often you'll get some weird gem of cool animation:
http://flipnote.hatena.com/5603B580CC7B1285@DSi/movie/7B1285_09203183792C2_001?in=user

I just wanted everyone to know because I didn't find out until after I dropped 180 bucks on a toy. Check this poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
F you guys, I love animating in flash. I'm staking the next few months of my life on it by my own decision. :colbert:

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

gmc9987 posted:

Seriously, I enjoy drawing and animating in Flash, it's just everything else (exporting, programming, random crashes, ghost vector points that you can't delete, and imprecise brush tool) that drives me nuts.

Hahah, this is exactly the way I feel so nevermind! Still love drawing in it, still wouldn't have finished my senior film without it, but yeah that program needs to not crash on me for undoing twice or something.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
So I've been slowly building up to working on my own cartoon, that I hope to dole out every week or so in the style of a webcomic. Now that a Cintiq's arrived for me, the pieces are finally in place, and as a means of motivation, I've turned my livejournal into a development blog of sorts. The work starts tomorrow, so feel free to follow along!

There's also a bunch of comics and stuff in there, and cusses!

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

A quick walk cycle test from my cartoon. A friend of mine said it looked like he was strutting, which I sorta see.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

philliam posted:

a short rear end animation thing i did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D_TYDa-BiA

If Brad Neely's stuff moved, this is what it would look like.

EDIT: I'm going to clarify and say that I liked it!

Nate Breakman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 24, 2010

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I'm having a really weird issue with flash where a sound file is playing an entire scene before it's supposed to. The file's not in the scene where it's playing at all, and it's not playing again when it's supposed to, so I know it's not just doubled or anything. I really can't figure out why this is happening at all. I've tried messing with the sound sync, and it happens whether its set to stream or event.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind! Apparently it worked if I just set all my sounds to start. Forget I was ever here.

Nate Breakman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2010

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I meant to post this here and it ended up in the daily drawings thread so I'm just gonna quote it.

quote:

EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS I've been working on it for like a month and eventually it'll be the start of a long-running series. If you like it please spread it around and if you don't please tell me why.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Communist Toast posted:

I need to make some new stuff, I just haven't been inspired...

You do, because you have a really cool look! You've got really cool character designs, and I love the way you're stuff moves, it's very ease-heavy in a way I really like. I'd love to see more tiny little bits from you.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
So after I finally got my poo poo together and made a new reel I forgot to post it in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMqaMLd_kk

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I'm gonna keep this thread alive if it kills me! Here's a daily doodle a couple days in the making.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I don't know if this isn't animation-specific for this thread, but where do you guys get your sound effects? I haven't really had a terrible need to get a bunch together since my student film, but now I need a bunch again. I used to just google around and pull stuff off seedy web sites, I'd like to be a bit more professional this time.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Oh man, his bit running up the stairs is adorable. You've got a great, classic style. Do you have anything else to show?

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
If this is spamming or thread making GBS threads or anything like that please call me on it, but I made a cartoon that's gonna be in This Show tomorrow. The show starts at 8pm pacific time and they'll be live streaming it in that link. It's the first time I've been involved in something like this and I feel like a total grownup so please watch and support my delusions of grandeur.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOs1hd5ReM

And now that the show's over, here's the cartoon I did for it. I used a lot more little flash-y cheats than I normally like to but for doing it between work hours over the course of a few weeks, I'm pretty happy with it. Thoughts? Opinions? Horrible mistakes I missed?

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I did a sprite-based animation thing in Photoshop as my senior film, I found it to be a LOT easier to just do rough sketches in flash for the purposes of timing, turn those into gifs and then bring those into photoshop to trace the pixels over.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
That's a badass tutorial, noodle. I've seen it explained worse in books that cost a bunch of money.

Here's a doodle I made while working on other things.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Another little doodle I did. Probably about four hours or so.

Character is from GastroPhobia.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Mr. Frustration Man posted:

beginner attempts

Wow, you're off to a great start, you've got a really impressive sense of form. How many hours did you put in on the rotation and the take?

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Hinchu posted:

Yes it does, but if you have a symbol with animation inside of it, it doesn't play that symbol's animation when you export it.

As someone who is working on a cartoon in Flash, stupid poo poo like this is still stunning to me.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Hey you guys I'm gonna do a

After I get off work tomorrow I'm gonna shower and I'm gonna start into it. I did a couple of these in college and since I couldn't get today off for 24 Hour Comic Day I wanted to do this instead. It would be super cool if some of you dudes cyber-hung out, I'll be running my uStream all day tomorrow.

Here's the old ones I did if you wanna take a look. I can't promise quality, they're a few years old and kinda embarassing, but hey free cartoons.

Careful, no loader on this one.

I'm still pretty proud of the music on this one

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Hey everyone! My 24-Hour Cartoon is going on right now! I'll be streaming until 4 tomorrow, come watch!

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I'm a 2D animator at heart but I really like screwing around in 3D because I'm not thinking about drawing at ALL. It's nothing but a pure study of movement and when it's done right it can be so satisfying.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I finished my 24 hour cartoon! I actually managed to finish it in time (had less than an hour to go when it finished), but I passed out while it was uploading to Youtube. It was fun to do again, but next time I'm doing it on a day when I don't have to work first. There's a difference between staying up for 24 hours and staying up for almost 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I haven't seen that video before, but a teacher showed me Bakshi giving pretty much the same speech to someone at a con. The guy asked something along the lines of "how do you start animating films" and he basically just scolded the guy to start doing it already.

Totally in on this thing.

EDIT: Haha, I finally watched it and it was exactly the video I was talking about. Totally still awesome.

Nate Breakman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 6, 2011