Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm wondering if I should consider switching over to (and subsequently learning) Toonboom. I don't have my ear to the chest of the industry but it sounds like more productions are starting to use it. I'm definitely going to have to learn AE, I know that much. Toonboom though, other than the necessity of knowing it, I'm not sure if it's actually something I'd want to use on my own time. It just seems a little clunkier to me.

I love Flash as a WYSIWYG sort of tool, but its problems are so numerous. The crashing, the inaccurate stroke rendering (forget drawing curves in this program). I like how you couldn't paint inside a flipped symbol for like 8 versions of Flash, and they knew about it, and they put off fixing it. Who doesn't enjoy having to loop a silent audio file just so their cartoon won't de-sync after 90 seconds?

How about the "native" quicktime exporting which is actually just some form of transcoding that drops frames? The frame limitation that prevents you from making a FLA longer than 15 minutes? The limit of velocity changes you can make to an audio file? How about the magic of undoing stuff you've done inside of a Group? Trying to fill in a gap with the paint tool and marvelling as the entire shape ends up changing to that color for no reason? Trying to open a file that brings up a dummy tab instead of actually opening? Flash running out of memory somehow despite only consuming 50 megs of your ram?

I love Flash though. It's.. it's great. Every rose has its thorn. This rose just has a shitload of thorns and requires an iron glove to hold. It's more of a rose cactus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

es to es posted:

Yes, it's worth learning because it may cost you a job someday. I'm not necessarily advocating you switch over to Toon Boom entirely, but at least get used to the demo versions of their professional line. You never know when you'll need Toon Boom experience.
It seems like the smart move. I've got a little time off next month so I'll probably dig my hands deep into that moat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not sure if it's still the case but Toon Boom is usually super friendly about letting people try out their software. Like they have special evaluation versions of Toon Boom that don't expire but put a watermark on your video so you're free to learn the software without the financial investment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adobe will respond by raising the price of CC

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also I think the "2D costs more than 3D" thing about game development has really, really become outdated with the kinds of budgets games have nowadays

But for a small indie team, it would cost more, unless you've just got one dude chained to a desk animating everything and that's going to take a long time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If more independent animation studios pop up on the internet they will probably stick to industry standards since most people have them already. The last job I took online, I was swapping Flash CS3 and CS4 files back and forth.

The artists that are too young to have bought and owned animation software legitimately most likely have a pirated version of Flash anyway, and they'll be the ones poached by the non-unionized studios to do unpaid intern work, so they'll be spoken for

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 28, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A tablet is doable it's just so different in terms of hand-eye coordination that I'd have to get used to it again. ~Once you go cintiq, nothing else is unique~

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i know you didnt ask for criticism but i'm a bit confused by the composition of a lot of your panels, it's difficult to understand what is going on at times without looking at the descriptions underneath to help

as far as pitches go, I would trust Fred on what works as a series and what doesn't, with their track record. is a pitch simply those boards and no bible/pamphlet? i agree with your philosophy of just dropping the viewer into a typical story, but I still felt a little lost with the story of McKenzie's until I stopped and re-read the first few pages. it seems like you're afraid to dole out any exposition but as a result characters seem (to me) to lack motivation, or they do things that I don't quite understand.

They might have been a bit over the top in describing the main character but I do think you need to do a better job of establishing the interactions between her and other characters to show what their relationship dynamics are. I wasn't able to get any kind of read on the peripheral characters at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bitmap posted:

My new website header. I've moved to London and if you need an animator well LOOK NO FURTHER.
love it!!! reminds me of chris o hara

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Oh well. Are there are short screenings/contests for animators besides Loopdeloop? That was my vector practice in OT. I want to do a raster one next. Get my sea legs.
11 second club is another one, you get an audio clip and a month to animate to it and then everyone votes and the winner gets mentored. Expect harsh, perhaps blunt/short criticism from peers (sometimes there's so many submissions that people will just quickly flip through and post unhelpful things like "bad" and "i like it")

http://www.11secondclub.com/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

richard williams also thinks gay people walk funny and is really mad that people listen to podcasts/music when they work. that's the stuff that stuck with me after reading the toolkit

well that and the 5,000 pages of walk cycle examples

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean of course it has use, but I am going to make fun of it anyway because people should rely on more than one book and I ended up having to look elsewhere for pointers on FX animation and secondary/overlapping action. Honestly that there's only a couple of pages dedicated to the latter is, frankly, awful, because that's such a big thing. Instead there's, and this is not an exaggeration, 98 pages on walk/run cycles. Also... I dunno, maybe this is nitpicking but weight, flexibility, secondary action, etc all come later in the book than the walk/runs.. shouldn't they go first?? Maybe that's not a big deal if people are hopping all around the book.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Depending on where it shows up online they may have to deal with copyright scrapers that automatically flag and mute or takedown videos, it's just one of those things. Even theoretically public domain music can run afoul of copyright scrapers so the safest choice is usually to go with pre-cleared music

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I was brought in to work on a show I won't name over the holidays one year, with unpaid overtime every day, where I and other artists had to do layout, animation and shadowing (so three jobs for the price of one), for three 22-minute episodes, with a deadline of one month. And then almost immediately after the holidays, after having done what we were asked which was loving impossible, we were kicked off the project.

They brought me back a couple years later for a project that ran out of money and stopped paying everyone so we all stopped working and then it took months to get the money we were owed

The moral is, independent/freelance animation only for me anymore

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 15, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd rather not but they were a NY non-union studio. they made a living undercutting every other buyer and then passing that onto the employees. some good dang artists made it out of there although you wouldn't know it from the quality of the studio's final products

That's not really an unusual story in the non-union world though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bitmap posted:

I made this Steven Universe thing ages ago and now it's on some weird youtube channel? It was meant to be on TV. I don't know. There was some animation I liked in it but I needed to finish it on short notice so the end really suffered and I dont think I'll even put it on my website. -_-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52PzYK8QSc
I looked at the channel and it claims to just be a fan archiving stuff, so I would assume it has been running on TV

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

Animators who regularly post their stuff on YouTube: what is the best way to attract more traffic and ultimately subscribers? The model/algorithm for a 'good' YouTube video seems to be skewed against animators, but there's plenty of people who have done well for themselves on there, like Michael Cusack. What could be their secret?
There is no real trick to getting popular on Youtube other than catering to the lowest common denominator maybe (but even still that's a long grind). Unless you have some way of generating a lot of videos (like, Let's Plays or something), you won't have much audience retention and you also won't be abiding by Youtube's magic formula. Networking might be your best shot, if you can get your stuff in front of people with a lot of traffic that might want to plug it. Or perhaps doing some sort of collab -- I've never bothered because I don't really like doing really hard work for free??

Think about it like this. Cartoon Hangover had to ink a deal with Ellation to have any shot of making money back on their cartoons, and they're an actual dang studio (Frederator). AND their channel is full of the algorithm-pleasing nonsense content that is supposed to be successful (TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTY FIVE FACTS ABOUT POKEMON!!!). They're struggling, and that's despite having dedicated staffers whose whole expertise is Youtube, Youtube monetization, Youtube best practices, etc. Trying to build on Youtube is basically like playing the powerball.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 4, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi everyone. i finished a cartoon. I dont consider myself a very good draftsman at all (because i'm not) but i'm still happy with how it came out. there's another couple episodes coming out later this month, with 4 more coming later in the year (have to do a lot of 2nd pass work on those).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTSpYi_4Z8

someday i hope to make enough money independently that i can fill in my inadequacies by hiring other people (like a background artist!!). in the meantime, there's just nothing like having your own product that you own and you made, and you fretted over and you doubted, and you pulled to the finish line. even if it's not great, it's still mine? i dunno how to describe the feeling exactly. there's a certain aura of "UGHHH" in the final 5% of production and then the afterglow of public release. that sounded like innuendo sorry. anyway, it was dang fun to make.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

It was framed as an exercise but it turns out it was a test. And probably designed as a trick question. About 60% of staff played it safe and went physically accurate, the other 40% played with the spacing. Of that 40%, 20% got laid off, and 20% got shifted to a layout/scene setup department.

Guessing they had to cull staff and decided that a test that would split people down the middle was a good way to get rid of people for not knowing "fundamentals of movement".
Wow what fun. What the gently caress!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Duck Party posted:

I made an animation tutorial and animated a fox.trot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl3IX6hgNss

Also bitmap your loop is awesome, saw it on the big screen at the LA screening it got lots of laughs.
I've seen your tutorials before, I love your painted backgrounds!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I kinda decided to bounce after someone in there defended a rape-filled manga by accusing the steven universe crew of being secret pedophiles

I prefer a more chill environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Man, going back to Flash after using Animate for so long is a big downgrade, I forgot how bad the drawing tools in CS were, compared to CC. But at least I own it. I should theoretically learn Toon Boom but that poo poo costs way more than Animate for a version with any kind of parity. It sucks that animation software has such bougie pricing.

e: but also none of the competitors to Flash/Animate have the ease of use of interface. i tried Moho 14 and it only shows one layer's timeline at a time. what are we doing here folks

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 17, 2024