Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Here is the first shot of a little animation I'm starting to work on.

The backdrop was done in Photoshop and then the rat was done in Flash. It was put together in After Effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
I'm having some trouble here and I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm using Adobe Premiere here at home for this animation, and I'm getting frustrated with it. Does it have no support of any modern codecs? What kind of plugins/codecs do I need to download/buy?

My workflow is Flash -> After Effects -> Export Uncompressed AVI -> Premiere. The thing about once I'm in Premiere the codecs available for rendering and playback in program are all lovely ones like Cinepack that look like poo poo and really won't play back smoothly on my computer which is perfectly decent as far as hardware goes. I have to export an uncompressed AVI and then compress it in Quicktime to get any real good finished results.

I'm looking to make this workflow have less steps. I can get the job done but it's a serious pain in the rear end. Is there any way to get modern codec support in Premiere? I've Googled this to no real avail. I'm not really sure how to frame the search.

I've definitely been a lot happier using Final Cut Pro at work...

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I don't know if I'm off base but here is how I understand these video editing suites work.

You have your source footage. In this case mine is uncompressed AVIs from After Effects. Then when you import them into your editing suite, in my case Premiere, if you add them to a sequence and then try to play them, they won't play real time as they are huge uncompressed video files. In order to edit and play them back real time in the program, Premiere needs to render the sequence, or in other words create a separate rendered video file that is compressed so that it plays real time. I guess this is the part where I want a nice codec to display the video without crappy compression artifacts everywhere and plays smoothly.

After editing the video and audio in the sequence, the video sequence needs to be exported to the ultimate format. For me this will ultimately be a video up on YouTube or Vimeo, or some such service. So in order to get them uploaded I'd like to use a high quality mpeg4 style codec. It's more of a pain in the rear end that I have to do this step as an uncompressed avi file instead of directly into a compressed video.

I feel like there are lack of options for up to date codecs, and I'm having trouble researching if any are available to add directly into Premiere.

On a side note I'm also not happy with the quality of the finished streaming video. YouTube doesn't retain my quality, even though it seems like I've seen really nicely compressed video on YouTube. I might just have to try a separate service. If anyone has some really good results they could post and explain their process I would be interested. Even using QT's H.264 I lose some of the saturation of my colors no matter what quality I do which is frustrating. I want colors that make your eyes bleed they are so saturated.

Grrr...

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

Here's some inspiration. This guy is apparently a Cal Arts student. Everything about this blows me away and reeeeeeaaaally makes me want to animate again.

http://vimeo.com/4566083

The sound design really sells that animation.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm working on the 4th shot of this episode. I'm finally using some of the other concepts I learned while doing some of my research this past half year. I really really enjoy being able to draw this out quick like this and get immediate visual feedback on the motion. I'm working on subtle stretch/squash, weight, doing nice arcs, easing in/out, and the motion of extremities.

I still have to make Mr. Rat eat the paper, do all of the shading, whiskers, tails, and then do the final camera comp before the shot will be done but it's getting late.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

How is that still on YouTube?

Also what program do you do pixel stuff like that in?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Matty D posted:

Sorry for the late response, I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I think!

I think the background is gorgeous, and you do a pretty good job of blending that mouse into the environment. The walk looks nice ... making a 4 legged animal move is far from easy. I do think the sit though is a little quick, some anticipation into that would work.

Thank you. I think some better anticipation would be good for the sitting. I've definitely warmed up to drawn animation a lot more since that first shot. I'm enjoying how fast this process is. I'm probably not even going to have Mr. Rat walk anymore. It's more fun and fast to have him jumping around.

This episode is nearly done. I'm sending it off to a friend to do sound here pretty soon. I'll probably finish the title and ending credits this weekend for the finished piece. It's weighing in at 25 seconds of solid animation. Not bad for 3 or so weeks of work on the side. I figure it's about an hour of production for a second of animation.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

gmc9987 posted:

Hey, for anyone who uses flash and is interested in stuff like that -

http://www.5etdemi.com/blog/archives/2005/03/pixel-tools-v2-available/

Flash plug-in that adds pixel drawing tools to your toolbar.

Hey that's pretty sweet! I'll have to make a pixel animation sometime :) It seems to work really well. I always wondered how people did pixel animations in a sane way.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm thinking about going with this for the titles of my animations... The text will "bloop" out with a nice sound. The music will start here. I guess it's fun and neutral. I was thinking about going for something more complicated involving my character, but I think I will go for the simpler solution.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Hackuma posted:

Another thing I recommend is that you read "The animator's survival kit"

This book is amazing and demystifies the entire process.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

9nine posted:

Heyoo- So I'm taking a puppet animation course this year and it's been really fun thus far. I'm halfway done with my first big puppet and made a quick short just to test the waters with him beforehand. It's my first time animating something other than pencil on paper, but I'm looking forward to the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ_ZzwREQc

The monster is just aluminum armature, epoxy, and needle-felted wool.

Awesome! I've always wanted to do this. I think he could use a rim light though, to help define his contours. How did you do the armature? Is it just an aluminum wire?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please do. How does the wire hold up? I think it would be interesting to use Apoxie Sculpt to make parts on some puppets. It's a self hardening epoxy that apparently behaves like clay before it cures. I have some I'm going to be using on some fiberglass shark blanks to finish out the empty mouths. For a puppet it would obviously be for non-moving parts though. I don't think it would be that expensive in the small amounts needed for a puppet.

Edit: Where did you buy the wire?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

No thank you, that's awesome. Keep showing us any progress! I might do my own... :)

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

teznine posted:

Hey there is an animation thread! Awesome.

Here's a short thing made mostly for my own amusement.

That's got some really good timing and motion to it. Do you have any more polished stuff?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Claeaus posted:

I'm really liking this, don't really know why though but I really want to see the rest of the movie.

Thanks, here you go: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2064116/Rat%20Episode1f.mp4

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Is the Thief and the Cobbler worth seeing? I read Richard Williams' animation book which was really good, but the movie looks like a bad Aladdin rip off from the trailer.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Ah, I originally thought that it was Disney taking his idea, but then the dates were off. That makes sense though. There's a "Recobbled" cut. I'll have to check that out. I loved his book.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

The Third Man posted:

I've been working on this for a few weeks now and could use a set of fresh eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKY1YxRrvms

Still a WIP, the lip sync is very rough, as are few other obvious bits. Any and all critiques welcome, though big acting changes aren't really going to be too helpful at this point.

On the kid you have a bunch of abrupt starts and stop, especially on the facial expressions. If you eased those in and out I think that would help a lot. And also I think you need more of a beat when you go back to the doctor for the reaction. I missed it and had to rewind.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/65659

Hey check it out, mental_floss is featuring my Adventures of Mr. Rat animation :D

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Hey guys & gals, I'm looking for a few good co-conspirators who might be interested in collaborating. I'm going to start working on some 30 second to 1 minute 2d animations, something similar to the length of my Mr Rat animation, but without the fact gimmick on it and in a different style. I'm thinking of production times taking 1 month to 2 months of work in my spare time per mini-short.

My initial concept is to do more traditional painted backdrops, and utilize a book I have of traditional folk tales for inspiration. The shorts would be character and story driven. I'm planning on doing the linework on paper, and then assembling and coloring everything in the computer. I'm thinking more in terms of Lion King in the mix of digital effects, and traditional look and feel. Anyway this is an excuse to have some fun, and make some cool poo poo. I'm open for collaboration on any part of the project from concepts, story, storyboards, animation, coloring, etc.

If anyone is interested PM me or gmail me at tatum.creative.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I have 22 seconds done on my next episode of Mr. Rat. Any critiques or comments so far? I need to tweak the transition between the last 2 shots as it's a bit of a jump cut. I just finished the shot at 2:30am last night.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Hey fellas, already posted this in Youtube thread but thought I should plug it here too. It's a music video I animated for pirate rappers Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZ7V8LYFaM

Sweet, how long did that take you?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Anyone mind giving me a critique and thoughts about some storyboards? I'm going to work on this one after my next Mr. Rat animation.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2064116/nemo.pdf

It's based off of this Winsor McCay comic which might make some of the details make more sense. I'd like to push the viewer's expectations without being pseudo-edgy. I'd like to do some things that make it surprising and wonderful. I think the level of ambiance I'm wanting with the way it all looks and sounds doesn't come across in the storyboards. I also don't want to make it really "for kids".

Anyhoo those are some of my intentions, thoughts?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Nah, it's just really confusing in general. It's hard to explain.

My question is how does that help a single person producing a piece of animation? I generally just intuitively start drawing and spacing out action and do my timing then. It seemed like charting was more about laying down instructions for assistants (which I don't have, haha).

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm getting close to finishing up Episode 2 of The Adventures of Mr. Rat. In the meantime here's a shot breakdown in case anyone is interested.

Click here.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Sparr posted:

I did this animation a few months ago, figured you guys might enjoy it. I managed to get 5 groups of people (ranging from ages 5 to 20 somethings, but a majority being kids) and simulated evolution with them in an hour. To do this I used a game of 'visual telephone,' in which I drew the first picture, they drew pictures based off of that (mutations) and then I made a majority extinct and had them pick which creature should continue to start the next generation (selection).

That is great! I love the sound design on it, too. What program did you use to do the animation in?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Started doing some animation on paper. It'll be interesting to see how it will go.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Yes and yes :)

That was part of the reason why I was drawn to the characters. I went to a lecture a year or two ago on a short history of animation. It was supposed to be the start of an animation group but it only met once!

It's pretty amazing what he was able to accomplish without the tools we have today. I like the non-sequitur dream states of his comics. It seems like they are made to become animated shorts.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

lolll posted:

Mine aren't terribly great, but I work in erasable pen most of the time, so it leaves interesting ghosts which are nice to play with. I was inspired a bit by William Kentridge. If you don't know who he is you should look him up. His work is completely amazing.

The erasable pen is a great effect! I think if you spent some time and made a more artsy cohesive piece it could be really cool. The flying bit was great.

I just drilled holes in my new scanner and super glued in some sawed up peg bars. Does that void the warranty? :)

Here's my first test, Flip popping his head out for a second from a shadow in the wall. I'll be adding some eye movement and ceegar smoke once I vectorize and color it all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2064116/flip.mp4

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

MixMasterGriff posted:

Although I'm not an actual animator, I work for Frederator Studios (Adventure Time) and am working on my own animated web series (Writing, Design, Executive Producing) for them. Am I allowed in this shindig?

Also, although I'm sure it's not much, I always always always make sure to not write in any shots that require downward walk cycles. A gift/offering? Heh.

Course you are. What all is involved with your role as executive producer?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah, I ran into that same issue. After Effects won't render animated symbols either. The only solution I've found is to export using the QuickTime move exporter. For some reason it handles the symbols correctly. It's also good for exported something that's been programmed (albeit without any user input), as that will work as well.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

steve343 posted:

doesn't flash export to avi anymore?

Yes it does, but if you have a symbol with animation inside of it, it doesn't play that symbol's animation when you export it.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I need to add a few more frames to ease in/out of the static bit. The next shot is going to be actual dialog. It will be my first attempt at lip syncing. I only have Flip recorded. I still don't have the other roles recorded. I need to figure out how to get a little boy's voice recorded for it. I tried my own but I ended up sounding like Michael Jackson.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Mr. Frustration Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8Vehi0qZc

Just did a messy line test where I'm trying to figure out how to convey weight; there are a ton of problems/unfinished junk but thought I'd share anyhow. It's supposed to be me and my chubbs-dog-beast!

Sweet job on that! I think you did a pretty good job with it. And yeah, awesome dog.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Got a little test sequence put together.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 25, 2011

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Sorry, I moved the video and forgot to update the link. It's working now.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I actually find 2d to be more accessible and immediate than 3d. It's hard getting a sense of life from a bunch of bones and morphs, while you can just draw what you want in 2d. It's hard to get your hands in and control an abstract 3d model.

The two mediums are very similar in the use of timing and movement, but dramatically different in their implementation and overall effect.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Engage! posted:

I'd like to ask some of you animators a question.
I'm going in to my second year of university and, after completing the mandatory shared first year for all computer related students, I need to choose between two courses. Computer Animation & Visualisation (mostly 3D animation with some flash and stuff in there too) and Computer Games Technology (Programming, maths, etc).
Anyway, I'm interested in both these courses and am having trouble deciding between them.
Is there anything you think I should know about animation/animation courses that might help me decide?

I feel like you can learn the programs on your own time. More importantly are the base artistic skills that you use with the programs. You can also learn programming maths on your own, but it's definitely easier in a structured environment. I'd say study the maths and programming and then work on the art end on your own. You don't really need a degree to do 3d art professionally, just a good demo reel. Programming likes more credentials. I'd say you'd be wasting your time spending time at the university level learning spending it learning something that some good tutorials can teach you.

Also programming generally pays more and from what I've seen there is a broader market for it. :)

My 2 cents at least, your mileage may vary.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

.TakaM posted:

We didn't want to make a fangame anymore so it's now Fetch Quest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xZOKO58wk

I just finished an animation for the jerkmole to skid as he changes direction running and my pc blue screened... of course I didn't save.

drat, that's really bad rear end! How large is your team? You guys going commercial with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'd just put it in here and amend the OP. This thread doesn't get a huge amount of chatter, and I would probably comment on stuff in this thread if it were posted. It seems pertinent to me.