Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Ahh! Yes! I was wondering where all my animation homies were at. I've got an independent study this year with a really great professor and I've already finished the storyboard for a ~10 minute animation. I've already finished some scenes, but I don't have them on my computer yet. I'll definitely upload them here whenever I get the chance, though.

As for things I've made in the past, here's a clay/ paper on glass animation I made last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDkgmLQulo
It has it's flaws, but I made it in a 3 week time period, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

The year before that, I made a 2-d animation, but never finished it. I don't really plan on finishing it, either, since it was more of a series of exercises for myself than a whole short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqr9kJr888

As far as inspirational animators go, I'm a fan of Jan Svankmajer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KFAuVXu3-A) and Igor Kovalyov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YecjiKzZStg), who was the guy that worked on Rugrats and Aah real monsters.

Also, mad props to you, Matty D- I love paper cutout animations, especially when they actually work.

e: found a better quality Svankmajer film

9nine fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Here's my question:
What is your usual workflow? How do you break down such a monumental task? Right now I am starting on my first coherent short (about seven minutes) and while I am starting to put together my storyboard I've started working on backgrounds and sound design (I have several people who need to read for me and I eventually have to deal with someone doing composition). I just feel like I am all over the place. Should I just pull back and really work the hell out of the storyboad? What's the best way to manage a project?

Absolutely work on your storyboard first and foremost, since it's way easier to make corrections to that than it is to rework an entire scene, or re-record something you thought was right. I usually break each scene down into little thumbnails- work on the composition and layout in the thumbnails, and below them, write down what actions will be going on, or what sound will be heard. It's easy to get antsy and dive headfirst into a project, but storyboarding and thumbnails will help you see your animation as a whole cohesive piece. It will also be easier to point out continuity errors, or scenes that just don't work. The thumbnails themselves don't need a lot of detail. It's mostly just for scripting everything out.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Might as well plug my 2D final film, Hamsterman. Everything but one voice done by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOfiGYffKAU

Haha, that was great, man. I envy your lip-syncing abilities, seriously.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Matty D posted:

art school. Be ready to be around some kids that aren't good at what they do and really don't care to. If you are serious about being an animator, honestly I'd try to go else where.

Oh my god. I go to the Art Institute of Chicago, and it's eerie how similar our sentiments are.

We've got a great animation department with devoted professors, but just like Matty D said, you really have to make it work. I absolutely hate about 50% (edit: no, make that 70%) of the students they accept because, A: they don't give a poo poo, B: they're just spending their parents' money with no intention of actually using the degree they earn, and C: hipsters. I don't encourage you to go here mainly because it's interdisciplinary and you don't actually major in anything, which means you don't get to spend as much time animating. I really do love the place, but frankly, I'm a masochist.

LiquidPropaganda posted:

(it got frontpaged but in no way do I think it should have been)

Hey- gently caress you, that was fantastic.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Sullik posted:

Here's me dicking around on 16mm film for my "Experimental Animation" class. The first half of this video is the pure 16mm film scanned directly to HD, the second half (starting at 0:50) was edited in Premiere and had some 3D Maya animation composited on top of it. I kind of ripped off Robert Breer:
http://vimeo.com/6724753

Is your teacher Matt Marsden? I know he sometimes teaches down at DePaul, and he also has an experimental animation course for us Art Institute kids. We also messed around on 16mm. He's fantastic, and I've got an independent study with him this year.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Sullik posted:

Nah, Alexander Stewart teaches our class. Alexander got his MFA at the Art Institute, so he might know Matt.

Well he definitely teaches down there sometimes, so if you see his name pop up, I highly recommend him.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Matty- You've got a real knack for character animation, it's looking great so far.

j0e- The bounce at the end looks fine to me, but you might want to take away two or three frames from that initial hold in the beginning. I can't tell exactly since it's on youtube, but I think it's around frame 33 or 34 where it hovers in midair for a tad too long. Looking good, though!

Here are some pencil tests I've finished in the past few weeks:
http://vimeo.com/7397185

And here are some backgrounds for other scenes:

The bulb in that last one is cut out of the paper- when I shoot it, it will be backlit with a light box, so it will look like the bulb is actually on.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

I just ran across this animation today and thought I'd share. It is a thing of hilarious, 8-bit beauty. Also, it's definitely :nws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

BrokenCycle posted:

Anyone buy those "The Art Of... [Kung Fu Panda, Up, Finding Nemo, etc.]" books? I have the Bolt one and it's pretty good, any other recommendations?

I don't own it myself, but I flipped through the Wall-E art book and it was pretty stunning. Sometimes you can find things like storyboards and concept art on animator's blogs- I'd recommend Cartoon Brew if you enjoy things like that. There are also some blogs floating around that focus on character design.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

I finally finished the first 1/3 of my animation this semester. Unfortunately, I've been having some pretty infuriating issues with exporting the drat files, so I've only got stills to show for it. But I'll upload the video here once I sort everything out.

Sorry for the image dump, I'll thumbnail all of them-

yeah, I kind of like moths.

Edit: I managed to export a gif of the fishbowl, which is here.

9nine fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 19, 2009

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Flash is the loving bane of my existence and I hope it dies alone in a digital nursing home.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

gmc9987 posted:

Fun story: I had to figure out this insane workaround to get a quicktime export out of flash, involving taking the SWF file into Aftereffects and re-syncing the sound manually with frame numbers. I thought, "This is stupid. There is no way this is how professional studios do it." Then, I went to comic con over the summer, and talked to Ghostbot, Inc, the studio behind the Erin E-surance commercials. I told them what I had come up with and they just laughed at me and said yep, that was exactly what they did.

Good loving lord. As much as I hate those commercials, that's insane. My quicktime workaround involved a movie screen-capture program since I don't have Aftereffects. Seriously.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Heyoo- So I'm taking a puppet animation course this year and it's been really fun thus far. I'm halfway done with my first big puppet and made a quick short just to test the waters with him beforehand. It's my first time animating something other than pencil on paper, but I'm looking forward to the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ_ZzwREQc

The monster is just aluminum armature, epoxy, and needle-felted wool.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Hinchu posted:

Awesome! I've always wanted to do this. I think he could use a rim light though, to help define his contours. How did you do the armature? Is it just an aluminum wire?

BrokenCycle posted:

This is really, really good.

Ah! Thank you, guys!

Yeah, I forgot to adjust the camera settings and white balance beforehand so everything looks super dark. The monster is actually a really great saturated cookie monster blue. The armature is some thick gauge aluminum wire- I think .125". At the major joints like the pelvis and shoulder, I cemented it with plumber's epoxy, which is super strong. Then I just filled out some of the body with some saran wrap wound pretty tightly and gaffer-taped in place and felted around everything else. I have pictures of him and his armature that I can upload later today if you'd like.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Hinchu posted:

The wire holds up great, and since the major body parts are soft aluminum, the constant bending and shaping I do to animate it doesn't put too much stress on the wire. In the long run, it will inevitably degrade, but it's perfect at the moment. I bought a spool of the wire online and got the rest of my supplies at a basic hardware store. Here's a picture of where the little guy is at right now, with some of my supplies included. He's about 17" tall.

I'm sorry, it's just so hard to resist posing him. Anyway, those bolts he's holding are what help him stand up while I'm animating the rest of him.

I've never used that apoxie sculpt specifically, but it sounds exactly like plumber's epoxy putty with a longer hardening time. I got mine at Ace hardware, but you can buy it just about anywhere. It comes in a tube and you pinch off a small amount, knead it for a minute, and mold it to the area you want to put it. You get a good 5-7 minutes of sculpting time before it hardens completely. That poo poo reeks, though. For his feet, I sculpted the basic shape and then embedded a nut on the bottom so I can anchor him down when he's standing on a pegboard by screwing the bolt in on the underside.

Anyway, sorry for all the :words:, but here are some earlier pictures of him.

I'm going to be making his head and animating a walk this weekend.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I finished little dude's head today and sweet jesus that thing took forever to make. I'm uploading two process pictures in case anyone's interested.

Tuna: Yeah, evenly-paced timing is something I also struggle with in drawn animation. That last animation was more about getting a feel for the puppet in general, but I totally understand what you mean. Since I won't be able to alter his facial expression, body acting is going to be really important. Thanks for the crit!

So his skull is made of sculpey, painted with acrylic on exposed areas. I sculpted around a loop of steel wire for the jaw. I made little sculpey eyeballs and felted around them for a few hours to make the sockets. Now, they're free-floating and I can turn them around any way I need.

He even has a tongue! Oh yeah- and sometimes when I'm turning them, his eyes just pop out which is only kind of unsettling...

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Thanks, guys! I just finished another quick little test with him today, and I really had a blast animating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8QTSxggPRw

Let me know what you think!

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Oh no! Can't let this thread die! Also, I'm seeing a lot of flash. Anyone else in here working on more traditional stop motion animation?

I just finished a new puppet animation this semester!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9t3qegEq8

The middle refrigerator parts were totally rushed (and can be redone/ color corrected), but the more polished parts with the puppet were really fun. And time intensive. The first half of it was about 12 hours straight spent in the studio, and the second half was about 14 hours. I tried combining puppet animation with drawn animation, so I made a set with a vertical pegbar where I hung all of the background paper animation. The puppet is about a foot tall, I think, and the set was two feet tall. Sorry there's no sound...just pretend you hear footsteps approaching at the midway point.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

A Frosty Beverage posted:

Geeze, this is really awesome. Is this that puppet from before but with ears, or did it already have ears and I never noticed them?

Thank you! No, it's an entirely different puppet. My former puppet unfortunately broke right after a shoot and was unfixable (the wire in his neck snapped from overuse). I saved his head, though! Haha- the new guy has a reinforced neck and I didn't pose him around too much. I made a second armature as well, just in case he broke (paranoia?). I also gave him replacement eyes for the blinks and poseable ears for more follow-through in his movements.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

butterypancakes posted:

The animation is great, but the pacing of the edit is way too slow. I'd have a few faster cuts before the title and then get to the stop motion well before :50 in. Most of the hand drawn shots could be shorter, the piece overall would feel much better at half its length.

Yeah, I agree with you- pacing and timing have always been my weaker points. I think I might eventually re-shoot the refrigerator/ real-life shots and will keep that in mind when editing it again. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

So I finished my BFA thesis animation a few months ago and realized yesterday that I never posted the revised version online. Since I posted it in this thread last, I re-did every single aspect but the puppet animation.

>For your viewing pleasure<

I wanted to take inspiration from a childhood belief I had-- I used to think that my drawings would come to life when I wasn't looking. I used a combination of stop motion, puppet animation, and traditional animation on paper. I apologize in advance for the sound... I definitely don't have a career as a foley artist in my future. Having had it finished for a while, I can see a lot of things I would do differently now or change altogether. But as it stands, I'm pretty happy with it!

9nine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 6, 2011