Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Hi, I made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjX3s7wBIRQ

Feedback and critique would be appreciated.

Also I can post the model sheets later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I love your title graphic design thus far. Simple and attractive to look at. Play with and tweak it though cause if you have graphic design ability no reason why you shouldn't exercise by seeing how much more pro you can make that lovely first-impression graphic look.

I don't know much about graphic design - I tend to work very rough and loose. However it is entirely possible for me to quite simply learn. I'll have to if I want to make my own polished films anyway, and principles of graphic design that work for things like title cards also work in the actual animation anyway.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenCycle posted:

That one particular random drawing in the middle, and the one at the end, shows that you can draw in a very quirky and funny style. Embrace that. I don't really know how long you've been animating, but it seems like you're a little passive to get that side of you out. But once you break through that, it can be a blast. I was the same way.

As for your animation, it really doesn't look like animation quite yet, but a series of keyframes that need to be inbetweened.

Thanks for the pointers! Would you happen to have any examples of your own work handy that could illustrate that point visually to me about breaking out of being passive about quirky/funny style?

And yes, these are the rough keys. I will be working on tying them down tomorrow, actually. I also wont be in-betweening them 'till I get everything else working.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenCycle posted:

I actually prefer Character Animation Crash Course a little bit more than Animator's Survival Kit. Animator's Survival Kit, while fairly in-depth, can be extremely confusing. The amount of pages spent on walk cycles alone will boggle anyone's mind. Character Animation Crash Course is as in-depth, and I actually feel that the examples are better too. There is so much charm to the entire book.

Eric Goldberg is visiting my school next semester. :)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Thought you guys might enjoy this story reel I'm working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_CauWqe3g

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Also something else I did in 4 hours:

No sound sadly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iIDhgaa3Z0

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Over the past three weeks at my school:

-The directors of beauty and the beast came and lectured/chatted with students.

-Had a cool lecture from a stop-motion animator who used to work with Henry Selick and now does CG work with stop motion when he can. (The dementors in Harry Potter films are a recent example of his work.) He brought AN ACTUAL GUMBY PUPPET, a Jack Skelltingon vowel sound head (that i got to play with), a box of mouth shapes from one of the characters of 'bump in the night' and assorted props and character puppets from Nightmare Before Xmas and James & the Giant peach - several of which I also got to handle. (The non-fragile ones anyway.)

-Visited disney animation studios 'inspire day' tour.

And this week, a director of dreamworks is visiting the school. (Can't say who.)

It's like they don't want me to get my animation work done.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So there's an animation workshop masterclass going on this summer at my school by a massive legendary animation hero of mine - I really want to attend it as it means I'll improve drastically as an animation artist, and it means I will be able to get hired pretty easily coming out of it. It's basically going to be an art boot camp where we'll be making a fully fledged actual real good high quality 2D feature style animated film that can be shown in festivals and such. It will be a ton of hard work - which I am counting on - and it means I'll come out of it as a rock solid animator.

Here's some work I made last semester. I'm trying to master classical feature animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xciYPcZ7U

The only trouble is I need to raise money for the tuition (which is $2000) and rent/food costs as I continually am working on building my animation portfolio. I need to try to do it in the next few months if possible.

Anyway, I had this idea and ran it by the CC moderator Pipes! who thought it was a cool idea - that I start an SA-mart business here of creating custom made animations of SA forums users to raise the money I need to finally achieve my lifelong dream.

Basically I was thinking of taking short 3-11 second live-action video files that people make of themselves or their friends doing something silly (such as walks, gags, speaking, dancing, etc) and then doing cartoon animated versions of them. Mostly a lot of smaller rapid fire cartoon gags and actions, and maybe some dialogue and other things mixed in. I'd also be charging more for cleanup and colored stuff.

The people who bought my animation would also basically be helping me by giving me the opportunity to build my portfolio while raising the funds I need. I'd also be getting a lot more experience animating things I haven't tried before. The more animation I do the better I get, simple as that.

So anyway, I haven't yet started the business or the SA mart thread as I'm unsure what to charge, and don't really have any experience with selling my work online. I started a paypal account today in preparation for it, but I'd like to do this right and work out what would be a good fair price that would help me reach my goals. If anyone would be willing to help me out on advice on running paypal or what I should probably charge, I'm all ears.

When I'm ready with everything I'll make an SA mart thread and an ad banner for it. I'd also likely want to find you if there are people who would be interested buying stuff from me first before I do go ahead with it. I might even see if someone is willing to let me do a trial run just so I can work out the time/effort costs.

On an unrelated note, here's a first pass block-in I did yesterday for a thing I'm currently working on for a CG class I'm in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6y0-tNNUs
The hands/fingers aren't posed yet and the face isn't going to be really touched till the next pass.

Feel free to give critique on that by the way. I'm new to maya and CG and trying to translate my 2d knowledge to the program, while also building on my animation skills.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 27, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Experimenting with a cintiq and animating in photoshop. Here's a little 15 minute warm up I made to try it. Nothing special about this jog - I just wanted to see how this would work and get groovy or whatever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Some stuffs.

Cleanup model prelim for my film.

Practice Drawings of Genie and Bugs Bunny.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Made this today. :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKkH_NQ3RA

The robot is going to have an animated 2-d head. Also there's going to be dust/rubble animated in crumbling as he goes through the wall.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A couple things.

First, here's me trying to learn CG better. This needs a lot more work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAhkyPAlNZo

:siren: And then, here is SOMETHING IMPORTANT - WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY ABOUT DISNEY BEFORE DISNEY GETS IT YANKED FROM THE INTERNET AGAIN OH MY GOD http://vimeo.com/39111006 :siren:

Unreleased unauthorized documentary film about the very troubled production of what eventually became the emperor's new groove. The studio was in a REALLY unhappy place around that time. Watch this film because it will show off just how brutal the animation industry can be, and also give some insight into Disney's early 2000's downfall.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the feedback! 2D animation is more my forte - CG so far has been fighting me every step of the way, so it's easy to lose track of things like weight. Keeping track of weight/balance is one of the things I need to fix in that scene.

As for your scene, the only thing that stands out to me is that the head looks like it's just on traceback as it moves forward gradually moves forward. Even slight variation in forward or side tilt can help. Other than that I'm not really seeing anything that I personally would want to change. Edit: The shoulder in relation to what happens to the head could probably be worked too.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So the TF2 saxxys are up this year, and this time they're all about the source filmmaker: http://www.teamfortress.com/saxxyawards2012/

quote:

Entries must be no longer than five minutes.
Each entry must be at least 720p.
All entries must be submitted using the Source Filmmaker's upload to YouTube™ and Steam Community menu option.
Only entries submitted between Nov. 1, 12:00 AM and Nov. 15, 12:00 AM GMT will be considered.
Voting begins Nov. 16.
Winners, selected by Valve from the community-chosen nominees, will be announced by Dec. 31, 2012
All co-creators must be finalized by submission deadline to be considered.
You are free to use any Valve IP.
If you use any non-Valve IP, you must be the copyright owner or have explicit permission from the owner.
Multiple submissions per person are fine.
Submissions must be free of advertisements.

Anyway, I'm a decent new-to-CG animator looking to get more experience in it, and I'd love to do something for this. If people want to collaborate for this, we can group up to make an actual little short film. (There's an 'original universe' award on that note, for films where the creators make the content rather than use TF2 models.)

The submission deadline is all the way into the middle of november so there's plenty of time to work on it. If anyone - animators, modelers, riggers, etc would like to collaborate for this, give me a buzz either via forum PM or on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spacedad

We don't have to decide on anything - I would like to chat with animation-inclined people interested in this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

giangurgolo posted:

This is only the second animation I've ever done. I simply sketched in the frames on a sketchpad in pencil, scanned it and arranged, positioned, and timed the frames in Animation Shop 3 & Paint Shop Pro. Maybe I'll do a little more tweening to make it smoother.

Reminds me a bit of John Dilworth. (Courage the Cowardly Dog and other neat things.)

Here's his youtube page, which I wish he still updated: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0B5D23CE970C50E3

Edit: job thing removed as I think it goes in another thread.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 5, 2013