Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Fillerbunny posted:

Am I the only one who reads Todd's voice as a stuttering Err from Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I read Todd as a stuttering, high pitched Joe Pesci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Phenylketonuric posted:

A coked-out Martin Scorsese in a room full of helium.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

Phenylketonuric posted:

YES. I have been struggling to characterize the voice that I hear him speaking with, but this is it perfectly. With a little Jawa voice tossed in, maybe.

Muffin Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2009

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

:siren:New strip is up:siren: and man I don't know what the hell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo, you can't accuse the strip of getting predictable!

nmg
Jul 27, 2002

A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
What'n'the FRICK, indeed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does North Korea even export any consumer products to the US?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anxiety

Man why do I gotta love the text adventure references so much, I barely even played any

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I admit it. Did not see that coming.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have no idea what's going on anymore. :psyduck:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

withak posted:

You scrape off that Made in China sticker and all you get is Dear Leader's Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Looks like a dash of self-parody to me.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Flying-PCP posted:

Looks like a dash of self-parody to me.

Totally.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
LAAAAA LA LAAAAAAAAA!

Also on the topic of voices I hear Cornelius as David Attenborough. Swaying towards John Cleese when he's pissed because I'm incapable of imagining Attenborough ever being more than slightly miffed.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Is that how a squirrel pisses?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
That's how any real man pisses.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
I occasionally pee Ray-style. This is because I invariably crack up thinking of how happy he looked yelling "We doin' this!" in Li'l Nephew's spy photo.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

And there is life for you in retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves
magical realism again oh boy well you can tell onstad isn't a farmer because he's not giving the soil a break that's for sure

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Integral Catculus posted:

I occasionally pee Ray-style. This is because I invariably crack up thinking of how happy he looked yelling "We doin' this!" in Li'l Nephew's spy photo.

Which strip was this?

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

withak posted:

I remember reading that many big animation studios have a lot of their work done in NK these days. No idea how reliable that info was though.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

Capsaicin posted:

Which strip was this?

This strip from the somewhat piecemeal "Japan Man" arc.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I occasionally pee Ray-style

this is not something you share in public

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

This strip from the somewhat piecemeal "Japan Man" arc.

My favorite part about that strip is that Ray's speech bubble is caught on camera.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Spillane posted:

magical realism again oh boy well you can tell onstad isn't a farmer because he's not giving the soil a break that's for sure

shut your stupid face, I would read an achewood spinoff of magical realism until he got bored of making it.
seriously i love them so loving much.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

Sigma-X posted:

this is not something you share in public

Edit: Shamelessness is the key to being as bitchin' as a cartoon cat.

Also, I'm right there with you, Fillerbunny: The speech-bubble-in-a-photo makes that strip.

Integral Catculus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 15, 2009

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Does ABLOO BLOO BLOO predate Achewood? I've honestly never encountered it before becoming a fan of Onstad's work. Now I see it everywhere.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

And there is life for you in retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves

vonnegutt posted:

shut your stupid face, I would read an achewood spinoff of magical realism until he got bored of making it.
seriously i love them so loving much.

yeah i'm really looking forward to the same routine for about two months or three if the dude feels like updating just like that cartilage head snorefest a couple weeks ago, except with about 3/4 panels full of needless explanation about how teodor's cranky or some chris ware stylized flowchart that's just absolutely redundant considering it's the same drat thing he published for the last three years.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

hey onstad why don't you have the teddybears thrown hopelessly into tarkovsky movies and only through the power of todd doing a wheely through 35mm can they make it back to being incredible assholes in the present also throw molly in there being an incredible bitch seeing as that's one of two female characters you can manage to write (the other being a feudal era doting mother who, unthinkably, is also an incredible bitch)

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
complaining about achewood: a funeral of the english language

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

moan all you want you should thank christ this dude is self published

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
Don't get me wrong. I'm just as sick of "How could that happen?? What's going on!? Oh no it's... *MAGICAL REALISM* (drum crash, studio audience cheers)." Achewood has been on a steady decline for at least a year or two, and it bothers me a lot because I love how the strip used to be. I think it has a lot to do with taking magical realism and turning it from a once-or-twice out of the blue artsy interlude to a recurring yuk-yuk gag, and analogous changes to other formerly strong elements.

You've just got a confusing way of trolling about it. Why should I be thankful he's self-published? What would be worse if he weren't?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

You guys are out of your minds.

edit; :gb2lf: Spillane

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 16, 2009

Flupp
Aug 2, 2004

Muffin Loaf posted:

...Achewood has been on a steady decline for at least a year or two...

:psyduck:

Achewood has been amazing to me for the last year or two.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I feel so sad for people who can't feel joy.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Muffin Loaf posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as sick of "How could that happen?? What's going on!? Oh no it's... *MAGICAL REALISM* (drum crash, studio audience cheers)." Achewood has been on a steady decline for at least a year or two, and it bothers me a lot because I love how the strip used to be. I think it has a lot to do with taking magical realism and turning it from a once-or-twice out of the blue artsy interlude to a recurring yuk-yuk gag, and analogous changes to other formerly strong elements.

You've just got a confusing way of trolling about it. Why should I be thankful he's self-published? What would be worse if he weren't?

no, for real, this aint a troll.

i'm saying that his sporadic updates, his repetitive themes, his tendency to experiment and for the most part overindulge with dialogue would be disastrous from any publishers perspective if he didn't have such an established fanbase and critical acclaim from the first couple of years. I can't see why anyone who just discovered achewood over the last two years would stick around based on the merit of the last two years of strips. it's a godsend that the entire archive is free, so new fans can easily access the entire material without spending a lot of dough which wouldn't exist if he was published from a major distributor from the start, hence why this dude should looooooove self-publishing and you all should too.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Muffin Loaf posted:

This is what happens when someone who mostly posts in LF reads Achewood, I guess?

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

hahaha boy i sure do post in lf respond to my legitimate criticism or stfu

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Your arguement is "I don't like Achewood" so I guess I should retort with "I like Achewood". Suck on that.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Time magazine also likes Achewood, or did in 2007, oh god what if they don't anymore WHAT IF THEY DON'T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

Your arguement is "I don't like Achewood" so I guess I should retort with "I like Achewood". Suck on that.

if you read a word of what i posted instead of skimming through it's kind of obvious i read achewood pretty regularly.

speaking of skimming i'm guessing you read achewood much like most people read dostoyevsky in freshmen year on the subway