Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Rod was a nice addition to the cast if for nothing else than the fact that he helps ground Pat and soften some of his worst tendencies, at least from my recollection of my last complete read through of just the comics, haven't reached that point on my current one where I'm reading the blogs too so it's possible I could be wrong(much like how reading the blogs as well has completely changed how I look at Tina as a character or how it gives Molly a lot more depth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not really sure you can acquire a Pat, since I feel like a big part of the social archetype there is "friend you've had since forever, who used to just be cool and fun but has steadily become an rear end in a top hat, but sometimes they're still fun and that's enough to keep them around." Pat can still play the Dozens, after all.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

drrockso20 posted:

Rod was a nice addition to the cast if for nothing else than the fact that he helps ground Pat and soften some of his worst tendencies, at least from my recollection of my last complete read through of just the comics, haven't reached that point on my current one where I'm reading the blogs too so it's possible I could be wrong(much like how reading the blogs as well has completely changed how I look at Tina as a character or how it gives Molly a lot more depth)

My favorite thing in Achewood in all together probably is the one act play where Pat and Rod go in a date. It's great to see Pat actually in a good mood and not being a total rear end in a top hat while still maintaining a slight douche edge. Great character writing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I want to know an Emeril.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dear ray,

is it possible for trouble to be a fake concept without infinity money?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Voice of Labor posted:

dear ray,

authority only exists when it is enforced

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The e-mails I get from twitter these days have me thinking back to this strip in particular

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Todd's on this thing so often he should have theme music and bumpers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'd like to thank this thread for turning me on to Brain Tape.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Previa_fun posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for turning me on to Brain Tape.

And now I get Rosemary's version of "Making Love In A Limo On An Airplane On A Spaceship Bound For Space" stuck in my head several times a week.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

The Voice of Labor posted:

dear ray,

No but I still posit that a queef is a fake concept.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

more falafel please posted:

I want to know an Emeril.

I knew one. His name was Bones. And he referred to himself in the third person in his weird monotone. "Bones doesn't like that." "Bones wants another beer." He palled around with another friend of ours named Benjes who was an Achewood character in real life, but without any analog in the strip. If anything he was an unholy mix of Ray's upbeat attitude, Todd's tweakerness, and a Magreaux Dog.

As an example, he showed up to a grill-your-own-steak party with a beef tongue that he swore was a steak, despite the label. A friend once carefully locked all the doors and windows in his house (he made sure to do this because he was a bit of a nervous dude when home alone). He woke up 3 hours later to Benjes shaking him awake and asking if he had anything to eat. "How did you get in here?!?" "Uh what?? *laughs* c'mon dude quit fuckin' around I'm starving"

I could write a book of all the weird poo poo this dude did (and have considered it), but my absolute favorite that typifies the way his mind works was when he called a mutual friend; the friend had just gotten home from a trip to find a massive water leak in the house. He answered the phone and said "I can't talk right now dude, I have a bit of an emergency here" to which Benjes replied without hesitation "was there a stabbing?"

Yeah I can see him rolling with Spongebath and Emeril.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

a Magreaux Dog.

Easily one of my favorite moments in the strip

Everything from Ray's reaction to Roast Beef's exposition with Teodor to Pat being the level-headed one...it just works on a lot of levels.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://achewood.com/index.php?date=09112006

lowenbrau. I haven't seen that in years

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pershing posted:

Easily one of my favorite moments in the strip

Everything from Ray's reaction to Roast Beef's exposition with Teodor to Pat being the level-headed one...it just works on a lot of levels.

Yeah it's times like that that help you understand why Ray and Roast Beef keep Pat around as a friend

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I like how Pat, though he understands the severity of the Magreaux dog and is completely sympathetic, is still being an rear end in a top hat by bringing up having to prepare for Ray's death. You just know he's thinking about Ray's fortune. The subtler ways Pat is a cock is where he shines.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Youremother posted:

My favorite thing in Achewood in all together probably is the one act play where Pat and Rod go in a date. It's great to see Pat actually in a good mood and not being a total rear end in a top hat while still maintaining a slight douche edge. Great character writing.

Is that the one where they find "our place"? I thought that one was wonderfully sweet :)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the one where they find "our place"? I thought that one was wonderfully sweet :)

Yep, from the Print Only Rarities. A lot of great stuff in here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Youremother posted:

I like how Pat, though he understands the severity of the Magreaux dog and is completely sympathetic, is still being an rear end in a top hat by bringing up having to prepare for Ray's death. You just know he's thinking about Ray's fortune. The subtler ways Pat is a cock is where he shines.

I think he’s treating the situation with appropriate gravity. Beef brought up the possibility of Ray dying first, the dog trying to walk basically means the big man’s hole-puncher is on your dance card and his knuckles have just started to whiten

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Youremother posted:

Thank you, it's as wonderful as I remember :)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Youremother posted:

Nah, Pat's was a total mensch there. It super sucks but that's an important and necessary consideration to have and it's a big help to have someone with you who can be level-headed in that situation.*

* that situation being a Magreaux dog and nothing else

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Youremother posted:

"Life is more like inheriting the shovel that you will use to bury yourself" is gonna stick with me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"Life is more like inheriting the shovel that you will use to bury yourself" is gonna stick with me.

"Or being handed it at your High School Graduation." Yikes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Youremother posted:

Oof an endorsement from Graham Linehan. At least the comic strip aged gracefully.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Youremother posted:

I always took it as Pat being genuine. He, Ray, and Roast Beef have been friends since small times. Pat is a dick but he is loyal to his friends even if they make fun of his hat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah many of those endorsements were

Something.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Javid posted:

The e-mails I get from twitter these days have me thinking back to this strip in particular

course I eat worms! they’re like tiny free steaks floating in the earth!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
One of my favorite Lyle moments is when he was trying to get something from Teodor I think over the phone and when he wouldn't do it Lyle just starts yelling in an annoying voice like "EUUUGH" over and over but i can't find the strip, anyone know?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

smarxist posted:

One of my favorite Lyle moments is when he was trying to get something from Teodor I think over the phone and when he wouldn't do it Lyle just starts yelling in an annoying voice like "EUUUGH" over and over but i can't find the strip, anyone know?

This one right here.

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)

Scags McDouglas posted:

Does anyone happen to remember a written piece done in the character of Nice Pete where he attacks a park ranger?

The ranger is bothering a tamale vendor- Pete identifies that he isn't a cop because cops don't address specific parts of your question. Then he goes on to explain the perfect head-butt to the reader and reports that he stuffed one tamale down the guy's throat and another in his pants.

I've scoured the blogs and the honor club and can't find a hint of it. Wherever this one is hiding, I still think some Achewood content is permanently lost to time. There are a few things lurking in my memory that I've never seen again. Back in like '06-'07 I paid for subscriber content and there was a questionnaire filled out by a few characters in sequence. One question was "have you ever tasted semen"- Ray: "Ray Smuckles does not blow men, pass it along". Lyle: "Yes, once. Goddamn TODD".

I feel like I'm trying to describe the Loch Ness monster to people because I don't have a hint of proof it existed other than that it was too funny for my brain to have conjured in a hallucination.

Can't find the Nice Pete bit (if you do, please pass it on - I'm gonna get around to updating the books and would love to include it) but here's lyle's personality test.

I've yet to place this in the books alongside some other new/old stuff, I'll get to it soon, promise.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yesss, my best friend and I have hit each other and others with it for years and it always kills me, incredible character moment lol

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Didn't Onstad self publish two small books by Nice Pete? One of them was called A Hilarious Comedy and I forget the other one but it was similarly named. Something like A Serious Drama (but not that exactly). Maybe it was in one of those..?

edit; it was called A Wonderful Tale

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 25, 2023

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

theironjef posted:

Oof an endorsement from Graham Linehan. At least the comic strip aged gracefully.

If it makes you feel any better, Chris is a supporter of trans youth so it would be one more thing to drive Linehan crazy

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person.

Which strip is this? I can never seem to find it when I want to, and ohnorobot won't help.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Which strip is this? I can never seem to find it when I want to, and ohnorobot won't help.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152009

:owned:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I googled it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Gertrude Perkins posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152009

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Dunny posted:

Can't find the Nice Pete bit (if you do, please pass it on - I'm gonna get around to updating the books and would love to include it) but here's lyle's personality test.

I've yet to place this in the books alongside some other new/old stuff, I'll get to it soon, promise.

Oh my GOD YOU SWEET, SEXY BEAUTIFUL MAN. I never thought I would see this again. There is absolutely a Ray version somewhere out there.

I'm still hoping into the yawning void that someone finds that Nice Pete piece. It was awesome and I am more than happy to provide more details if asked. The ranger explains that an unregulated tamale could have dog in it and Pete is internally annoyed because he knows dog is an awful tasting, desperation meat. When he crams the second tamale between the guy's cheeks he says something like "Oh, would he not miss the meaning of that when he wakes up". Eventually he goes hiking and some of the interactions turn into actual murders but the memories are too far deep in my addled brain.

Happy Hippo posted:

Didn't Onstad self publish two small books by Nice Pete? One of them was called A Hilarious Comedy and I forget the other one but it was similarly named. Something like A Serious Drama (but not that exactly). Maybe it was in one of those..?

edit; it was called A Wonderful Tale

Honor Club, easy as pie.

http://achewood.com/honorclub.php

God I wish my ask were that available.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 26, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Motorhead playing in the other tab XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins