Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"The dude is from circumstances" was so immediately relateable to me and my friends in college that we've all always said it.

I'll be getting my memorial Achewood tattoo this year, and i look forward to Onstadt's fervent disapproval when I tweet it at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Onstadt is scrolling through his master file, weeping tears of organic syrup, mumbling "what hath I wrought" while earnestly pondering a high end sandwich

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo make sure you adopt the Roast Beef 'from circumstances" but Ray should be a purebred spoiled brat kitten.

Please, though, do not force your cat to wear a thong. please.

please

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My life goal is to be Lyle in my 20's, Teodor in my 30's, Ray in my 40's, and Cornelius until I can ride off into the sunset on The Olde Schoole (with Airwolf providing cover)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 13, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want to be able to cook like Teodor and the "c'mon MEG WHITE show me her NAKED!" Is a very real depiction of my relationship with the redhead on Madmen.

Teodor is also the realist person in the strip. Ray, RB, they are all high maintenance weird friends who require some special behavior, Teodor is just like a dude you might become bros with and then all of a sudden it's been 5 years and he's the best man at your wedding.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"I guess by not g-g-givin' a poo poo." Is a landmark moment in my laughing at something stupid career, but Roast Beef's line about Todd being the STD equivalent of a bold and exciting new pianist or something is probably in the top 5 funniest written lines in all of Achewood.

I feel like Ray is high maintenance in a Peter Griffin "rope all my friends into week long hijinx and constantly dragging them around to do dumb expensive bullshit". When he isn't sleeping for 36 hours he is starting a buisiness with you or trying to steal your girlfriend or inventing a mojito-hot pocket franchise

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Tale of Woe:

I used to own a copy of "A Home for Scared People"

I loaned it to a person. I will never get it back.

I bought it for $8 used on Amazon. It is now $55-$65 everywhere because it is out of print.

My copies of "The Great Outdoor Fight" and "Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar" weep on the shelves.

So yeah if anyone has one or sees one in a used bookstore, i'll pay for shipping and buy you a platinum upgrade for the help.

Also: Never ever ever loan out good books to lovely people.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DNA Cowboys posted:

Will this do? I make an order from TFAW every month or two and haven't had any problems.

You are truly a saint. $14 with shipping from Oregon! That's unbelievable compared to $65 from Amazon! My Hero!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"Just punch hell of suckers in the mouth and tell chicks straight up that you like them." has guided me through many troubled waters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just give me a “The Dude & Catastrophe” beanie/skullcap Jesus god please so I don’t have to get it tattooed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
BUGGER THE CONSTABULARY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching Achewood die was kind of like watching your awesome cussin-and-fighting grandpa slowly succumb to dementia until eventually he stops showing up at holidays.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can anyone spot the 1st alt-text so I can save myself hours of fruitless ambient cursor hovering on my upcoming read through?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually the BadAss games are peak Achewood and anyone who wouldn’t take a cross country roadie on The Olde School is a scrub and a chump

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“The dude is from circumstances” is the best way to describe so many loving people

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s the deal with the blogs and premium content? I only got into Achewood theougha friend and it was years later that I found out I only got like half the story.

Is it a paid thing like a Patreon or can I just read through archives?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh geese you guys are the loving best

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always just say “it’s about some animals that are friends” and then try to show them the badass games

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh my god the perfect Todd silhouette their just brought tears to my eyes.

I am an adult, he sobbed. I AM an adult

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I came to that conclusion some months ago and a helpful goon offered a bookstore in Portland that had some used copies for cheap. I’ll try and dig up the link

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s pretty badass that I saw that and the first thing I pictured was a half-white painted Todd in the backyard getting hosed down by Lionel and Teodor while they are both sobbing uncontrollably with laughter while Todd tells them to both “P-p-p-piss the frick off!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I once walked into a room where someone had just asked my best friend “what is that guys deal?” and my BFF said “the dude is from circumstances” and she was like “oh that makes sense”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s like putting Google Eyes on “The Scream”, I definitely prefer the original

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the three of them is basically the smoothest good time around

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I woke up this morning and my entire life was just a swirling void of “you should do a deep Achewood read through but also the blogs” and now I’m gonna print the out all over at work to see if anyone gets it...

They won’t they are all college age millenials

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Teodor asleep at the keyboard with "Meg White c'mon SHOW ME HER NAKED" left in his google search bar is about as close to seeing a man's soul laid bare as you can get in a webcomic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

Readers of Achewood sometimes think that they are like Ray, or Lyle, or Beef, or sometimes even Cornelius. But deep down these people know that they are like Teodor.

Same but Todd

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Dude & Catastrophe is an amazing band name, but really how have I slept this long on INCREDIBLE DEATH

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean the bread was already baked in an oven at like a million degrees, but sure, go ahead, dry it out and destroy the texture

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but the other part of it is that many of us laughed at the racist humor while being stoned in our dorms and apartments. Nobody gives a poo poo... because it was funny... and honestly, some of it still is!

Like if you stand far back enough, calling it “Mexican Magical Realism” is kinda racist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I used to think fries were a foregone conclusion that had been mastered for years and then I discovered a Chip Buttie and was like OH MY GOD french fries are merely the paint on the canvas that is cuisine, the sky is the limit

Chickenwalker posted:

Not if you double fry them, which is pretty common with steak fries the only correct way to prepare them.

FTFY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In earnest, while I will always love Air Wolf, the arc where they balance an egg on their weird underpants to achieve enlightenment still causes spontaneous fits in me, and Teodor’s line about all his plans being invalid because he made them in a previous life with different ethos is one of the top 3 panels in the strip.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s cheap enough that Onstadt has to be curating it or providing them with incentive copies to keep it low.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As an East Coast White guy from Philly I was pretty shocked at the level of casual racism I encountered in California, from San Francisco to Sacramento, in most of the headiest people I encountered, so this checks out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Breathtaking

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My buddy and I would run tables at doubles card tournaments and our team name was always “The Rudest Dudes in Town” and anytime we were about to win, my boy would go “AWWWWW YEAH, we’re about to see how gay things can get!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was recently described to some kids at a party as “the dude is from circumstances” and I seriously almost teared up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Same, except every time I buy and consume a grocery store rotisserie chicken. Sometimes when we’re eating it I just burst out laughing and my girlfriend will go “what, whAt! What is SO FUNNY!” and I just can’t explain it to her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was a really weird Zach Parsons SA front page article from like 15+ years ago about a fat bald gross dude who finds like an alien in his backyard that looks like a football with a vagina and he, being lonely and gross, fucks it until the Men In Black show up to collect it. Afterwards he theorizes that maybe this is where Popes and geniuses come from, just alien super entities that require a thin veneer of Human DNA to get started and become the best of us.

Anyway that piece of writing really stuck with me and as I grew up I realized I slowly replaced the man in that story with Teodor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Achewood is like any other friends I was super tight with in my 20’s: they were some great times, but you can’t just keep doing the same poo poo forever.

No one wanted Achewood to become The Simpsons. It’s ok to be done.