Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wow am I late to the party. I was sitting with my girl at a party watching people play Rock Band and they added Dude and Catastrophe to the list, so I turned to her and said "Huh, this song must be where Achewood got the phrase from." which quickly turned into these are too many coincidences for it not to be the opposite.

I guess I always saw that theme song link on the front page of the strip but never thought to like... click on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, Achewood's not something you can really show someone "your favorite strip" and expect them to get it and find it hilarious/touching.

People won't care about the wedding if they don't know about Beef or Molly, and people won't care about my personal favorite strip if they don't know Ray and why he'd fake-jump a motorcycle over a mountain on his desktop computer.

That's funny, it's one of the ones I show people first when talking about Achewood too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think he's clearly burnt out. Being burnt out on something you used to love doing is really hard to admit, even to yourself. :( I've seen this pattern with too many sites before, eventually he'll either apologize for not updating as much anymore, promise a more regular update schedule, and then that same message will stay up there for years while there's no updates; or he'll get back into it again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I had a weird dream last night about Achewood. There was a new strip (that's not the weird part) where Ray was on Jeopardy. It was one long panel, kind of a time-lapse thing starting from the left and going right, where Ray kept giving correct answers. For each answer, in a thought bubble above his head was a character saying something related to the answer in the past and Ray high-fiving their past-self-memory for having said it. The last one was Teodor talking about PHP or some computer jargon that had no relevance to the current clue and Ray looking up all upset at him for not ever having said anything related to the clue. It was so vivid that when I woke up I had to check the site to make sure it wasn't there.

Do I have one of those... problems?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jack Bandit posted:

Did this dream have alt-text?

Yes, something about poker. It was related to one of the clues but I don't remember what, and I think it was just some nonsensical dream gibberish.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oodles of Wootles posted:

So we've got about 2 weeks before we get another comic about how there hasn't been a comic in awhile but they're starting now, right? And the alt-text will be something like "hey everyone i'm back"? I just want to know so I can mark it on my calendar.

According to his Twitter, he's in Disney right now, or just about done with the vacation. It's a valid reason for not updating the comic as opposed to weeks of silence with only vague hints about a "brain problem" buried in subscriber-only info.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Roast Beef smiling and the alt text have made this day so much better. :shobon:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Shmorky in talks with Onstad to do something? I thought I remembered him saying he was talking to him, but couldn't say much else about it. It must've fallen through at this point, but at least we have this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Every once in a while I get the urge to open a picture of mount Everest and a picture of a motorcycle and you know how it goes

I do.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was prepared to be disappointed when I clicked on this thread, because for about a year the only posts in this thread have been reminiscing about old comics. So the animation looks great, though the clips aren't really long enough to tell. Really, I can't wait for even a scene from the cartoon instead of some slapped together clips, but it's still great news. I can't wait. I'm not concerned about the voices at all, just that the feel of Achewood might be difficult to capture in movement.

I hope Onstad's "I'm back!" isn't yet another quick flash of motivation. I know what it's like to be the guy who has depression, and get a surge of re-interest in things that depression has killed interest in that doesn't last, and he's had little short-lived rebirths of Achewood in the past few years. But actually showing stuff off and getting on a plane to do things shows promise.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Locus posted:

I think I've said it before in this thread, but if there is a show, I hope it doesn't get the China, IL treatment. :smith:

I'm not too familiar with Brad Neely's work beyond two or three YouTube videos I watched, but does his comic and/or YouTube videos ever have plot arcs? Trying to think of squeezing my favorite Achewood arcs into 11-minute episodes is hurting my head, but they might not have had much of a choice with China, IL. There's so much material to work with in Achewood.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh my.

quote:

So far, the Achewood test-footage runs only five minutes, although Onstad has only shared just shy of 20 seconds with the public. Although not included in the online video teaser...

There's more test-footage? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see.

quote:

An animated show isn’t the only thing on the horizon for Achewood. Onstad says he’s been quietly stockpiling a variety of material during the lull of public content released, including a new webstore, a stand-alone anthology through a print publisher, and another book that has been in the works for over a year.

More comics! Even if we have to buy them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

The wired article did mention that there was a book coming out that had been in the works for "over a year," which I had assumed was probably the cookbook.

E: Also hey, I just found this video clip from a couple months ago that seems to be OFFICIAL TV SHOW BUSINESS. Ray's voive may have to grow on me a little, but Philippe sounds basically exactly how Philippe should sound.

I'm bad at voices in my head. While reading the what-if voice chat I realized I never actually gave them voices, they just had different patterns of speech. I wonder if this is A Psychological Problem. :smith:

Also why did I (and presumably anyone else) never see that Achewood Christmas video before? It's brilliant!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tenterhooks posted:

This is nitpicking, because I really like how this is shaping up but, for what it's worth, I think Ray is the weakest of the bunch. The voice is fine but he sounds a bit too much like he's reading lines. I kinda found it hard to follow him sometimes, like listening to an overly written & rehearsed best man's speech. Philippe could maybe sound a little more excited / excitable too.

Beef works best for me. He has a more natural, almost improvised sound (probably because Onstad isn't a pro), that I think works really well at making the lines not sound like, um, lines. A more conversational style of delivery overall would be awesome.

I still like how it moves / looks though. Think it suits the strip perfectly - the more surreal Cartilage Head type stuff'll look super creepy with that kinda motion capture feel.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, overselling it is a good way of putting it for Ray (although I guess, if anyone, Ray should be overselling it), it's a little too acted. This might not be the best example, but Juno managed to get away with people-don't-really-talk-like-that dialogue for the most part because it was delivered in a fairly realistic way. Onstad's style of writing may face the same problems.

I have a problem with Ray's delivery too. The voice is great, but it sounds a lot like line reading. It also might be because Ray is talking to himself through a lot of the test footage, which throws it off. He does it in the comic, but when you watch someone speak "Yawn, yawn, yawn" out loud it sounds forced.

Philippe sounds perfect! He has just the right level of excitement in his voice. I always thought that Philippe is excited, but also a little hesitant and unsure. Like he knows things aren't quite right with his situation and what the grown-ups are doing, but his level of naivety just tells him to roll with it. Ever have a little kid ask you a question, you give him a silly answer, and they do that little "Haha... oh... really?" thing?

Roast Beef's voice is the best out of all of them. I liked how Ray and Beef both had the same "feel" to their dialog, as best friends often do, except Beef had that unmistakable depression-level exhaustion in his voice. I actually hope Onstad plans to voice him when this thing actually goes on the air.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I'm hoping Achewood's actual theme song is the opener.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We are all skipping the fact that he also thought that the strip where beef gets to pretend to be a white trash husband was set in the future.

I haven't reread this strip since this weird discussion began, but I remember that being what I got out of it. Beef did one of his Things where he got to pretend to be white trash.

I got the Dark Horse books for Christmas and they're amazing. I didn't think I'd ever get them, because somehow I filed them away in my head as out-of-print and lost to Onstad's Depression, so I was really surprised to see them beneath the wrapping paper. I love the blurbs under each strip in the Ugliest Guitar book. They're like extra alt-text. I have a few of the paperback collections, but those aren't nearly as nice and feel like they're going to fall apart if I read them too heavily.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The @achewood Twitter account, which I followed to get details on new strip releases, has had sporadic updates, none of which have had to do with the comic. If you think that seeing this thread have five new posts and being let down when it's not about a new strip is depressing, try following him on Twitter and seeing the Achewood icon only to realize that it's about him crying that his favorite band isn't on the radio.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I really wish that Twitter post had more comments telling him he's got a lot of nerve to ask for donations after not updating for six months and also stealing money from his fans. And not just stealing money from his fans, but popping back up over six months ago, apologizing and stating his intention to deliver on the second cookbook and make good with those fans, and then disappearing again for six months until he shows up asking for donations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

At this point who even cares tho. No one is waiting around with baited breath for him to post another comic. Well no one with the pattern recognition levels of a medium-smart dog or horse at least. At this point he's just another guy on social media. He can ask for donations on twitter till the cows come home.

I actually forgot to put that point on the end of my post because I got distracted. Yeah, no one really cares anymore.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I watched Birdman, and like I do with all movies I've watched because I'm a huge loving nerd, I went on imdb.com and looked up trivia for it.

IMDB posted:

The film was written using a dramatic device similar to Magical Realism - Magic realism or magical realism is a genre where magical or unreal elements play a natural part in an otherwise realistic (often mundane) environment. Although it is most commonly used as a literary genre (mostly during the latinamerican "boom" generation, which includes Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Carlos Fuentes amongst many others), magic realism also applies to film and the visual arts.

I had no idea that was an actual thing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame Onstad didn't give up again a few days earlier.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
He is selling mugs and iPhone 5/6 cases.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
NudeHelsinki.com is worth going nose-first towards the center of the earth in a commercial airliner though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I remember back when I was deciding what cookbook to order, I didn't know which one to get and I didn't know the second one wasn't out yet. I made the right choice in getting the first one. I still haven't cooked anything from it, years later.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"I wonder what our kids are gonna know about Hitler's cock that we didn't."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

If my knowledge of cat science is correct, the cats on the left and right are girl cats.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely use "You can do whatever you want in life" in real life, because you can do whatever you want in life.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Uh this is incredible. Best comic in a long while. I laughed out loud at this flowchart like three times. Love me some boxes and arrows humor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

There's an unhealthy amount of sarcasm here, maybe you'd like to ~talk~?

No I genuinely laughed out loud at this comic, no sarcasm. :shobon:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just rewatched the test footage. Philippe's voice is perfect, and so is Beef's/Onstad's. Ray's voice is horrible in the first scene, and then is tolerable in the others. It's really not bad overall. I think the hate towards it is because we got our hopes up for animated Achewood and then the first thing out of Ray's mouth made us want to vomit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Black licorice makes you poop green.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I read Onstad's blog in a hurry while ending the Christmas festivities and thought it said that Achewood was going to continue, just only in blog format. I started writing a post in here and went to go back to make sure I read something right, and turns out I have to be man enough to admit I got things wrong.

At least it went out with notice this time instead of fading into rape vans and broken promises again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

For real though, I would pay just silly money for a complete set of the entire run, so long as all the alt-txts were like at the bottom of each page.

I would pay slightly less money for good indexed pdf version, but still silly money.

Does this soda-man not want silly money?

Same but also with blog posts into a book format.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I want to make a joke about him being too busy working on the cartoon but I'm just sad.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

I remember this mostly as Rock Band DLC, censored for community standards. Six                 later, we ain't goin to the helipad.

I was at a nerd party and people were playing Rock Band and I listened to the lyrics, and it slowly dawned on me that it was about Achewood. I asked people playing if they liked Achewood, but no, they just liked the song. This was when Achewood was still going, and I'd seen the "our current theme song" link at the bottom for a while but assumed for some reason that it was just some upbeat instrumental song and never clicked on it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I follow him on Twitter. In the past few weeks he's been posting more Achewood stuff, and not just his usual paintings that are artsy portraits of his characters, but actual new drawings. Wonder if he's got the Achewooditis again? Who knows how long it'll last of course.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In the US Stella has a much higher end rep than it has in Europe. It used to be like the 4loko of beers in the UK.

I tried Stella because of achewood and was kind of dissapointed. Loves me some ketel one on the rocks though.

Stella seems to have a medium reputation in the US. It's not trashy like PBR, not an every-man's man sports beer like Bud or Coors, but you know, it's upper middle class. I seem to have vague recollection that Stella and/or PBR have a way higher class reputation in some non-English speaking countries.

I tried Stella because of Achewood also and wasn't disappointed. It was the first beer I actually liked, having stuck mostly to rum and cokes until then.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just want to say the first three posts on this page made me almost wake up the house with laughter. It's the kind of thing I want to show to people but I can't because it requires knowledge of the metaplot of a 20 year old webcomic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Strange Cares posted:

Milk and eggs minder.... undersized wallpapers...gone... like so many tears in the rain...

Oh poo poo I use this every week for food shopping. What do I do now? Someone tell me how many eggs to buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1655627707072528384?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

Learning that there was an Achewood animated series at Netflix with Onstad and Pen Ward at the helm that got cancelled is the most grief I’ve ever felt. I really like how he’s using AI tbh, this attitude towards it seems solid

I thought last night to myself that I'd cancel Netflix and subscribe to Achewood and now that's what I'm gonna do.