Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

glug posted:

Hell there was even some cheesy not really that good comic with an owl who had some human kids he took care of that I was reading for some reason for a long while, and then literally months of no update with no news regarding it/etc, and it's off my daily shortcut list never to return. :(

That was a real shame, because while Daisy Owl felt like a half-baked Achewood at first, it was really finding its footing when it suddenly ceased to update.

If Onstad wants to continue writing Achewood, he should build up a storyline's worth of comics before he begins to post them, as a regular update-to-update schedule isn't working for him anymore. If he wants to call it quits at this point, I don't fault him. I just wish he'd do his readership a favor and lay it out there. I appreciated when he finally posted his explanation for going on hiatus, and hit up the tip jar once I understood where he was coming from.

I will say, I didn't know about the Cookbook II/merch stuff. That's just fuckin' low.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

csammis posted:

Then Todd loses a bunch of weight.

I've used the "If ____ were a piano ___ would be considered a bold and unpredictable new talent" line in conversation and it's a winner. Achewood is indeed a celebration of the English language :unsmith:

"You guessed it: It's a Todd Got hosed Wednesday. Tell your parents."

That's definitely one of the best Todd strips, hands down.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

But there's seriously such as massive amount of comic, along with the blogs and I want to read it all in order and it is amazingly daunting. I wish I could set up a RSS feed that'd send me like, a comic or a blog post a day so I can take it all in, slowly.

You think that before you start, but once you get going you'll be hard pressed to stop. "One more stand alone," you'll tell yourself, but the next comic in the archive will the be start of a major arc. 45 minutes later, you'll think, "What a great storyline...I need some stand-alones to cleanse my pallet." And the cycle will continue.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

robot roll call posted:

The best Achewoods are where I learn new vocabulary (see also: Blumpkin)

That was the first strip I ever read. Immediately knew it was something special.

Why did you think of that though
why would you think of that

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

basx posted:

"Sorry, Hoss. It's time for my man-douche."

THIS is TOTALLY WONDERFUL!

That's definitely in contention for the most perfect alt-text to a strip, ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tolan posted:

On a different note, does anyone really miss the gag-a-day strips?

I miss stuff like Friday Facts with Phillipe and strips that are just checking in on the characters' day-to-day lives. Onstad is fine at long form stuff but I feel like he excels at mundane banter between the characters - it might not be high art, but it's entertaining.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Van Dis posted:

XKCD is terrible but there's lots of casual misogyny in Achewood that I notice more and more as I re-read strips, which makes me uncomfortable sometimes.

I never really felt any outright mysoginy, but a lot of the Beef/Molly strips have me thinking "I hope this isn't a 'write what you know' situation because this is straight up toxic stuff."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It seems like Beef has some pretty deep issues and Molly is pretty much the most normal person in the cast. Did I miss something or is there something I haven't seen yet?

For the most part I agree - he's crazy, she's rational, all the bad stuff tends to be in his head - but Molly & Beef's relationship goes through some major changes (2007, so you're close.) It turned Beef turned into a really unlikable character for me for a while, possibly because it also happens to dovetail with an obnoxious period where Beef is super concerned/complains a lot about money and how much things cost.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

One of the few times I actually wore my "I'm The Guy Who Sucks" shirt in public, a European exchange student decided to ask me about it.

She assumed "sucks" implied dicks.

I wear mine pretty regularly, and I've received that reaction as well. I also had a hard time with an old guy behind the counter at the liquor store who didn't know if he should sell booze to me while wearing a shirt that said "I GOT DEPRESSION".

On the other hand I have found myself posing for pictures with drunk strangers who found it riotously funny. It's definitely a conversation starter.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Atmus posted:

Who cares, it's Pat.

But the banjo! Why was it possessed? Where did it come from? Why did every song become Hog and Prawn?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

a starwar betamax posted:

Why does Onstad say:

In his blog post about relaunching the store?

The first strip was posted on Oct 1st, 2001.

I believe he put the first few comics online on September 11th and sent the link around to his friends, then wound up calling that a soft launch and holding off on launching it as an ongoing endeavor. I can't find the interview where he says that for the life of me, though, so I could just be making poo poo up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I love the alt-text to that, because for so long I thought I was the only person who thought Tabasco was a sub-par hot sauce. The flavor is just too overwhelming! It can never compliment, it can only subsume!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cloks posted:

I feel like ninety percent of them would involve Ray.
I am okay with this. Here's my submission:

Candle at both ends, though. Harsh.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Is caviar pretty good stuff Pat

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

manero posted:

Plus it's the start of the GOF arc

When Microsoft announced yesterday that their new console would be called the XBox One, my mind immediately jumped to the ChatSack Solo. "At this level, the market demands non-linear value."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Penguissimo posted:

Is there anywhere one can still get the 8-page special comic that's (brokenly) linked to in this strip?

Heyyyyy, found it online

Looks like it was also included in one of the print collections of Dark Horse's online stuff. The description for Volume 4 says there's Achewood content in there as well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Saoshyant posted:

I vaguely remember a guest comic of Téodor dreaming flying an airplane with a human Penny. And that was it, AFAIK.

It was Onstad doing a guest comic for John Allison's Scary Go Round, with a character from that series. We've never seen Penny.

"A fox fighting an eel, suspended in aspic." Possibly the best joke about British food I've ever read.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PantsOptional posted:

I think it's because it's a flowchart, maybe? Anyway, here you go. It may also be because it was originally in GQ?

"I let some scientists chop off my dick last night." So wonderful.

Also, Onstad eerily presages Jack in the Box's "Munchie Meal" concept here. Still awaiting the advent of the Finisher's Power Plate in the realm of fast casual dining.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ray has a crush on getting high, pass it on.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cletepurcel posted:

Ray being a McDonald's dude is obvious but I wonder what thinking went into Burger King for Lyle and Jack In The Box for Phillipe.

For Phillipe, it's likely the mascot (Ronald McDonald probably gives the kid nightmares.) Phillipe is also 5, so he is probably very impressed by a hamburger restaurant that also sells tacos and egg rolls.

Sockser posted:

I'm talking like, times in fiction where they smoke weed and it's portrayed like they dropped acid. It always bothers the hell out of me because it's so dumb and if you want to have them trip on acid maybe just make them do acid instead of smoking weed.

I find those works are typically aimed at Middle Americans whose drug knowledge is primarily gleaned from After School Specials and DARE programs.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mfcrocker posted:

This seems pretty disjointed even for Pat, like he is high as all balls

I think it's a pretty pure distillation of the character. He invades a person's space, actively sabotages what they were doing while simultaneously flaunting his moral superiority under the guise of "helping," and with his work complete and his ego sated he takes off like a bolt to find another person's day to ruin.

Pat is an rear end in a top hat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
When the Badass Games arc started I also thought "Oh, GOF retread," but aside from the framing device of "There's a contest" it's very different in tone and content, a weeklong jaunt instead of a 3 month epic. Reading it now leads me to think that Onstad simply missed writing in the secondary and tertiary characters' voices (GOF was followed immediately by Phllipe's search for the couch and shortly thereafter the Magic Underpants story, both of which were very Ray/Beef/Teodor heavy) and just needed an excuse to put them all in a situation where they had to respond to the same external stimuli.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Welp its October, time to close up the soda factory cause I feel my SO SAD coming on.

And unlike a lamp, you can't repurpose bottling machines for G.R.O.-R.A.D.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"At least when he yanks it he probably isn't giving himself something" is an amazing putdown.

"You smell like a bus station lost a fight with a pot roast in estrus"

Achewood is a celebration of the English language.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wow, I've not seen this boring guy for a thousand strips! He still likes coffee and indie rock, I guess, but what else, where has he been, what's he done? Oh, nothing?

Well to be fair, those thousand strips covered all of a week and a half.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

a starwar betamax posted:

How many weeks since the last strip?

Eight.

Achewood is back!

This will cause problems in the community.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

IF THIS CAR'S A-ROCKIN, THEN TWO
BARBERS HAVE NO DOUBT BROKEN IN
TO COMMIT LEWD ACTS ON EACH OTHER

ARREST THEM ALL

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"I'm actually pretty open minded, once you get to know me" is the mantra of the deluded man.

I am such a man, as are you. We are all Ray Smuckles, just without the wealth.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I accused a friend of committing a Dudes' Mutiny earlier, which resulted in me revisiting the very brief Gym/Leo Fontanette story and this wonderful bit of dialogue:

"It's a stone blow, man. This poo poo is Druid. This poo poo is Easter Island. This poo poo is Druid people at Easter Island, man"

Oh, and remember to be careful, this...JUDAS PRIEST FRIDAY THE 13TH

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Captain Bravo posted:

I recently stepped on my childhood drum.

You've gotta make this right with yourself. You're lookin' at about three hundo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Sezza posted:

If you have a problem, you may in fact be the guy saying "human being" the way old telegrams said STOP. Do you have a haircut? Are you pissing into an empty?

"Seven men pissing into empties, calling you human being. They cannot see you." is easily in my top five alt texts from the entire run. It's a very evocative image.

"My car parts on on my car, by the way."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Literally The Worst posted:

Man, I just had a completely trashy orgasm.

Does he always wear a crown after he fucks somebody?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I get a lot of mileage out of "i...am...here...to tell you not to get a hangover"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Man, Phillipe really hosed up this time. Cornelius completely hates rap.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
don't read a comic start a family / that's what they always used to say

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

those panel reproductions are tight but lol @ 800 usd each

The pricing is ludicrous but man, Imagine having the scratch to get an entire strip reproduced in that format. Preferably The one where Todd says "Bitches gotta take their oval office pills." Hang it in your foyer, right at eye level as you enter.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Howdy posted:

"Holy crap! Nice Pete's in the band? Who else? Please tell me a cop and a doctor." is one of my favorite Achewood panels

e: a little earlier in that arc http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01052007

Ray has a crush on being high pass it on

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The animation itself is fine and does a good job of capturing Onstad's minimalist style, but I can't deal with the voices. Onstad as Beef has the right sound, but the dude is not a voice actor. Toby Huss is just doing a pitched down Cotton Hill when Ray should have a very different, much smoother voice. The dialogue itself also has a hard time translating from page to screen.

I think everybody has a very, very strong opinion of how Achewood "should" sound, and what's in their head will never fully agree with any animated version. Bill Watterson knew what he was doing when he put the kibosh on any animated Calvin & Hobbes adaptations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There is a new blog post from Nice Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yeah that strip was from the era when every other strip wasn't about their kids/the wonders of fatherhood, and when Gabe's art didn't make everyone look like a Little Golden Books character taking a poo poo.

At least when Onstad was working out the complete dissolution of his marriage in comic form, it wasn't unpleasant to look at.