Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, Doc Faustus really hosed up this time. Onstad completely hates the thread tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat, that dude is smooooooth

The extra o's are to indicate just how smooth!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp that alt text is the first time a verbal description of anything has made me feel nauseous!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King Nothing posted:

Wonder how long until Teodor starts wearing a shirt again.

Also I like that he's successfully hustling Todd after Todd/Lyle tried to hustle him way back when.

Todd hasn't quite been on the ball since Teodor made his head explode.

Also that time he tried to get on America's Funniest Home Videos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I cannot get over how good this is, it's amazing. The loving arrow forming the word GRUE is beautiful but there is just so much incredible gold in this strip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, you can't accuse the strip of getting predictable!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spillane posted:

my whole point is on quality, not self publishing, and a bestseller from a loyal fanbase doesn't mean poo poo other than a whole lot of fans are willing to shill out an extra couple of bucks to put it on their mantles.

So the WRONG people are buying it?

Your argument seems to boil down to,"I don't like Achewood the way it is currently written" and suggests that anyone who shares a different opinion is either wrong or deliberately lying in order to "slobber" for an affectionate pat on the head from Onstad.

There have been TWO storyarcs incorporating Mexican Magical Realism, and a few jokey asides here and there. You also accuse him of going to the well too often in the same sentence as you accuse him of being "too experimental". The "sporadic" updates you complain about are larger and more complex than earlier strips. Not to mention, this is all still being provided free to us, not self published (which to me at least indicates something is being self-made and then self-sold) at a time when all signs indicate that Onstad is busier than normal putting together things to be actually published by a real publisher. Finally, a bestseller IS a bestseller, regardless of why or who is buying it.

None of these things in any way mean you SHOULD like Achewood, but just because you don't, doesn't make everyone else wrong. It just means you don't like it, not that it isn't any good, which it demonstrably is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man he REALLY likes peeling out!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is some world class disdain in that strip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's really hard to capture the sense of dream logic in a comic strip, but I feel like that strip captures it just perfectly, the way things that never were are not only established fact, but entirely reasonable in your own mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adhesion posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP :siren: kinda sorta doesn't load for me on the main page but works in the fanflow :shobon:

Won't load for me :(

The alt text leaves me perplexed and tantalized, however!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loading up fine now, it's better than a vacation and more than a decision!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember those little subscription cards, small enough to hide in your pocket like a tiny nude secret.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy God it's like being a kid and seeing Spider-Man show up on Batman's tv show.... and then they gently caress!

This was a wonderful surprise!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that it was Wallace Shawn, because he's both the most unlikely man to be buried in cleavage AND the most likely man to be giggling madly while buried in cleavage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've been inside a bead shop. It really is that :geno:

The silence of those places really is disconcerting, it's like entering an ancient tomb or an unpopular museum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:smith:

Oh man suddenly out of nowhere it just got so sad when Todd realized what was happening. Great final panel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the cover and the title, can't wait to get it if just to devour the history of the cats written sections.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

The book will feature the complicated and fraught backstories of the cats, including Sothar and Smacks Peel, I hope (but that is not a dudes' promise).

I'm racking my brain and can't remember who they are, so it'll either be a pleasant surprise or I won't notice the absence if it doesn't come through.

Also, just wanted to stress how much I love the composition of the latest strip with the paper running through the rollers. It's really wonderfully put together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Teodor panel cracks me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marriage isn't a 24 hour/365 day/lifetime party of eternal shining adoration, so someone having a "moment" of reflection on why they got married followed by a demonstration of another "moment" of delight in their marriage should not be looked upon in any way as thunderclouds and doom for the relationship of the little cat, Roast Beef.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGravin posted:

Is it some kind of phenomenon that big sisters routinely crush little brother's fingers?

I crushed my little sister's finger in a door, but my older sister crushed MY finger in a car door.... so I don't think it is gender so much as age.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

choobs posted:

Since no one else has mentioned it, there's a new blog-like Achewood piece on Techland:

http://techland.com/2009/11/17/are-you-a-hoarder/

Thanks, that was wonderful.

"An unabashed mustache with a frigid fanny in tow below" is just one of many reasons I love Achewood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That final panel is absolutely spot-on and cracked me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

We will probably find out about the same time we find out about the fate of Scrambles, the lost dog.

I got extremely slightly kind of upset when I read the author notes in Worst Song, Played On Ugliest Guitar for that strip :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God those shadow puppets are the best.

Edit: Oh God I only just noticed the smiley faces and the sneeze, hahaha.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grilldos posted:

All his hypotheticals do this. All sad cats are Roast Beef.

I love the little cats, roast beefs :shobon:

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I remember the first time I ever bought condoms. I was so uncomfortable with the idea of the cashier I didn't know ringing me up, I actually milled around the store pretending to be shopping until one of my friends who worked there didn't have a line at her register anymore.

I hope you didn't say,"See you later!" after you bought them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The bit about friend's girlfriends swimsuits is goddamn creepy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGravin posted:

You guys spend all day yabbin' about apps, and you didn't even notice a new strip up?

The correct answer is always measured swerves.

Every time I looked today there wasn't one there :smith:

God this reminds me of my driving test, gently caress those things all I need to know is stop at stop, give way at give way, green means go and red means stop.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I get some and I'm all happy because there it is, just sitting there in the fridge for whenever I want it and a week later I remember it is there and I only ate half of it and now I have to throw it out.

Sometimes being born with the gene that tells you to stop eating prosciutto is its own disability :(

Also Teodor looks so odd without a belly, like when you see a fat dude who had a stomach stapling operation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn that was quick!

I can't wait to see Cornelius completely loving rap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:siren: ANOTHER NEW STRIP! :siren:

Goddamn, Onstad. You are the soul of wit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It IS impossible for Michael Jackson to have done drugs. I mean.... just think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gomi posted:

Guys did you know there is a :siren: new strip :siren:

Now I can finally be ahead of the fashion curve!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sam Hall posted:

:siren:Jesus Christ:siren:

Now I don't need to see the movie, thank goodness!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sgs-Cruz posted:

What's with this in the Assetbar comments thread?

I have learned a long time ago that the comments section of anything on the internet is misery wrapped in failure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

choobs posted:

It seems like they are implying that real-life Onstad is divorced?

Yes, the commenters seem to believe that Achewood is a DaVinci Code rather than a momentary diversion on the road to the grave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

I just wish she'd started the soup with a ham hock.

I wonder what hidden meaning Onstad could want me to decode by this, time to delve deep into uncomfortable speculation!

I really like your comic :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The hardbacks are exceptional, and the extra content you get is worth the price alone, I can't wait till "A Home For Scared People."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dove from Above posted:

I know I'm supposed to be infuriated by how none of them have paid attention to her saying that this is an OLD PICTURE of her, but that doesn't make my fury less furious.

Haha I know, I kept thinking to myself,"But she said it was an OLD PICTURE YOU MORRONS!" even though I knew that was the joke. [fans self]