Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
How? How the hell does he do it? There's material in there for at least a month's worth of lesser comic strips. What humor genie have you taken hostage, Onstad?!

Peter Jackson stands up for grues on message boards. My god, it's full of LOLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
They ran the We Got That B-Roll youtube thing on tosh.0 tonight, and look what I saw!

Heyyy, I got that T-shirt. It's got a detergent stain on the logo and is worn enough that it's been downgraded to "work-out apparel", but I got that shirt.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

5er posted:

I've got one of the Roast Beef 'science' logo shirts, but I bought it around 2004, 2005. It's beat to death and the logo's nearly chewed off from washing. I need to replace it. Achewood's the only webcomic I ever bought merchandise from.

Yeah, same here. I wouldn't be against buying another round of classic Achewood Tees (hint hint, Mr. Onstad). I do have weddings to attend, after all, and I want to look classy.

But yeah, never bought merch from a website before Achewood.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Fillerbunny posted:

Being in your 30s is pretty awesome.

Heh, I wouldn't know. :smug:

For another seven months, at least:smith:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I laughed my Edna Krabapple laugh at "Potatoes more socially aware than they are."

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sockser posted:

I am super pissed that the only Burger King on campus does not do Angry Whoppers because I am now in the mood for a $6 cheeseburger with Jalepeños and onion straws GOD drat

Come on down to Washington DC and check out Ray's Hell Burger. Dee-licious.

They also opened a place called Ray's The Steaks. Normally, I don't patronize terrible puns like that, but drat did I have some good steak there.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
"The organic grocery budget is the new Catholic indulgence."

Now I have to spend all day resisting the temptation of saying that like I just thought of it.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Like Wii Sports Resort only it's Ray's Backyard. Hold the Wiimote up to your mouth to smoke a blunt. Press A to grill the steak. Hold B to enjoy a good time with friends.

Or perhaps the long-rumored Achewood Text Adventure? I am terrible at those, but I would still play.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Ah ha! So he finds it boring compared to his life in Achewood. He'll go back and Teodor will make him his porkchops right.

I don't think that's right. It's not the lack of technical expertise that has Philippe upset (as in the case of the Mickey Pancakes). It's that he was expecting Mom's Porkchops, and that what is sitting right in front of him isn't matching up to his memory.

It's what Steve DeNeuve was getting at with his story of his dad's hamburger. Nothing, no level of culinary expertise, can reliably recapture what made that dish special. It's not that it can't ever happen (Think the climax of Ratatouille), but too often its our memory and not the food itself that can't be replicated.

If you'll indulge me, an anecdote. When I was a kid, I made Christmas Sugar Cookies with my grandmother every year. She'd prepare the dough the night before, and we'd spend the afternoon together some cold day in December making the icing (basic icing made with powdered sugar and food coloring), and stamping the dough with her set of tin cookie cutters. We'd decorate them together, bake them, and share them with the rest of the family. That was special because I was five and it was something we did together. Then I was six, and seven, and a few years later I was too old to sleep over at Grandma's house making Christmas cookies.

But she'd still make them, and I'm happy to say that decades later she's still with us and still baking. The icing lines on the candy canes aren't as straight as they used to be, but they are there every Christmas as sure as Santa and mom's crèche with the one-armed baby Jesus. I got some of those cookies in the mail this year, and seriously considered the prospect of preserving one or two. I don't know if she'll be able to make them again next year. But I didn't. Cookies are meant to be eaten, after all. But once she goes, those cookies will go with her. The recipe is simple, and I have no doubt that anyone with the most basic kitchen experience could duplicate them down to the cookie molecule. But it wouldn't be the same.

Philippe is learning a lesson all us old men learn in time. You can't go back. Even if you're forever five.

And THAT is the Saddest Thing.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

robot roll call posted:

he's not a drat Highlander.

What if he IS, man?! There can be only one (and he is five)! Maybe that's the arithmetic Steve DeNeuve has to do!

I love when Achewood gets all dark and poo poo. The gag a day strips are great, as are the storylines where so-and-so has a crazy business idea, but the strip is never better when they pack up and go somewhere. The Transfer Station, C.H., Seeing America in the Galaxie, Fights of an Outdoor Nature, Heaven and Hell.

I'm making my (future) kids read this. There will be a quiz. Multiple Choice, True/False AND Essay Questions. Pat is a dick, explain why.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
drat it, Achewood. Every time I read about those garlic and rosemary shrimp skewers, I want to make them. Then I have to remind myself I live in a condo and have no easy access to a grill! Stupid tasty shrimp!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Now that I'm old I wish I'd gone on more naked Taco Bell runs as a teenager. But, no, I had to be all "Wah! My AP Classes! Wah!"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Sadly, I know you can run and poo poo at the same time. The internet gave me video evidence for this, whether I wanted it or not. (I did not, but my then-roommate was very interested in this possibility)

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Panels 4 - 6 look like Teodor is getting molested by an anteater. Also, I don't think T&P will have any problem eating at Denny's in the buff. Can you even imagine Denny's turning people away?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

StealthStealth posted:

Welp Zalgo got Nice Pete.

Psssh. Zalgo was just a minor god of the harvest and no harm to anyone, at least until he met Nice Pete on a cold night in Appalachia.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
You can tell Onstad has been to Denny's in the middle of the night.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Nice Pete has some strange ideas about high school

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I think these shananigans would test even ol' Jimmy Carter's patience.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

WHAT WILL BECOME OF TEODOR? IS HE DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE?

Maybe he'll meet a nice girl in heaven! :smith:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Dove from Above posted:

I just lost a bunch of weight with a horrible chest infection! Since I got back to work people have kept complimenting me. Feeling like poo poo will do it every time!

I lost about 15 pounds on the Pneumonia system last year. Didn't need to exercise! Didn't even need to move!:cool:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Teodor never thought he'd know something so beautiful. He was wrong, I suppose.

(Onstad, you gonna get letters for that alt text)

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I honestly wasn't expecting a strip this morning, or to laugh this loud on a Sunday morning.

Mr. Onstad, this is a clear case of mental surprise and you will be hearing from my attorneys.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Reading the strip again, Onstad really captures the rear end of a woman of a certain age/weight. Well done, sir.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't know about you, but I could go for some morning touches right about now.

Also I apparently haven't read enough Wodehouse if he inspired this strip.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I've read a few of Wodehouses's non-Jeeves novels (finished "A Damsel in Distress" last year, which I recommend.) Then, recently, I read Orwell's essay where he defended Wodehouse for making... unfortunate comments while in the mandatory company of Nazis, so that had me thinking about him again.

To Barnes and Noble!

Wikipedia says these sorts of anti-hangover drinks are enjoyed by the likes of James Bond, Bertie Wooster, Spike Spiegel and Doc Brown. All of whom swear by it. I can't wait for my next hangover!

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2010

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

SebAndSeb posted:

Poor Emeril :(

Oh like you'd want him on your bed

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I find it best if you imagine Nice Pete's father talks like Hillbilly Meatwad. (Appalachian Simon Chipmunk is also acceptable)

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 1, 2010

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
You know Guy Fieri listens to Smashmouth every loving day. He wakes up to "All Star" because they're singing about him, baby!

"Starboard Nut." The Lord bless and keep you this day, Chris Onstad.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I read the wedding strip again and listened to Keane's "Somewhere only we know" and it was perfect.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

ChuckDHead posted:

I ended up reading the whole Phillipe arc as a result of clicking this link. It's kind of poo poo how it ended, but drat was Achewood good.

A lot of people, rightly, love The Great Outdoor Fight but I think Philippe's trip to the transfer station has some of Onstad's best writing.

The transfer station takes them all through its doors. And when they can work no more they fall in among the trash and become it and are gone

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Dodgeball posted:

Panel 2.

It's kind of... cautionary... when I find a similarity between myself and Beef.

Yeah, that panel is a real bit of solidarity between me and Roast Beef. Whenever the phone rings at a "weird" time, my brain immediately jumps to the worst possible thing - including the untimely death of my brother. Also fire trucks heading in the direction of where I live whenever I'm out and about give me a good fifteen seconds of "did I leave the burner on?"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Enjoy your side of the mountain, Kim Jong Il. No one wiping with a Playboy subscription card where you are now.

"SOMETIMES THOSE HAVE TITTY ON THEM TOO! YOU ARE...IDIOT!"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
The first step is admitting you'd buy Hot Tub Brawls on DVD. Also, note that Ray is watching Best of Hot Tub Brawls. That implies a HTB series that's probably been running for decades.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Maybe we could get Jon Benjamin to do a guest spot at Trouble Man.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06142004

Speaking of which, that's what I'm waiting to see out of this animation business. The humor in Achewood is great, but what hooked me were the wierd, dark stories like Cartilage Head, The Secret Ice Cream Shop, Philippe Goes To The Transfer Station, and Ray In Hell. Stories showing that the world beyond Achewood was a mad, un-safe place. If the animated version can capture that sort of ambiance, I'll be sold forever.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I know it's not claymation, but they could take notes from The Mysterious Stranger on how to do the cartilage head arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGGAjMg9vw

"How annoying that sound isssss"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Guys is Achewood... back? Because I've laughed at all three new strips and Lord I don't want my heart broken again but I think Achewood might be A Thing once again.

(And I don't know what you're all talking about, Cornelius has always sounded perilously close to a Brooke McEldowney character for my taste. The crudgeon needs Lyle around for balance)

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bro Enlai posted:

Thought I would try one of those Achewood mashups.

Beautiful. Bless the baby angel in charge of days like today, and posts like this.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Aztec posted:

Remember during the GOF arc, where Lyle says he could play a trumpet with his cock, then the thread argued for days about whether Connie was hiding his trumpet, or was in fact going to try and play it with his own cock.

Great art always leaves itself open to multiple interpretations. For example, who ate Ray's nachos? We're told it's Todd, but do we *know* its Todd?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

chunkles posted:

Anyone have the strip where Teodor stares at a boob forever in an ill-advised record setting attempt? I can't seem to find it.

e: NVM I got it http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11082007

Was this comic changed? I thought the hand wasn't on the boob in panel five the first time I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't he already give up on that craft soda thing? I thought someone posted something about that.

It's easy to understand why he did.

quote:

Chris Onstad clutches a scuffed white binder bulging with notebook paper. “Pen down, please,” he says with a smile. “And no pictures.” He then opens the binder, revealing page after page of scribbled lists, calculations, and secret formulas—the meticulous record of his two-and-a-half-year quest to brew what he terms “the Belgian beer of soda pops.”

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014

He looked into the mirror and saw Pat Reynolds staring back at him. :sigh:

edit: The blog is still updating as of yesterday, so maybe he's still at it.

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 10, 2015