Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
SALR Extension for Chrome

This is a Chrome port of the Firefox SALR extension.

Requirements

Latest version of Chrome

In order to use the highlighting features you must have the appropriate thread tracking options turned on in your User Control Panel on the forums. Since the forums now track threads for you, SALR only enhances the functionality rather than implement it.

Download link

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/bogegdelcjhoaakaepmoglademmhiboo

Browser bar extension (requires SALR):
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/something-awful-last-read/dodkgjokbnmiickhikhikpggfohagmfb

And for those of you who want to contribute: https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-chrome

Patches are accepted, so if you're a web developer and want to help out, send over a pull request!

Installation

Follow the link above to install.

Once installed, basic highlighting features are enabled. To configure options, click on the SA logo in the location bar (omnibar). You will only see the SA logo when you are viewing the forums.

Page navigator is not enabled by default. To enable it, turn it on under "Page Display" in the options panel.

Have an idea you'd like to see in the extension?

Post it here: http://salr.uservoice.com/

Features/Screenshots

:siren:THREAD HIGHLIGHTING!:siren:

:siren:HIGHLIGHT WHEN PEOPLE QUOTE YOU!!!:siren:

:siren:PAGE NAVIGATOR!!!!!!:siren:

:siren:QUICK REPLY!!!!!!!:siren:

:slick::siren:MOUSE GESTURES!!!!!:slick::siren:

:siren:JUMP LIST!!!!!!!!!:siren:

Other features:
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Various highlighting options
- User notes
- Convert Youtube links to inline

Ferg fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:siren:What's new in the latest version::siren:

- Highlight your username if you're mentioned, but not quoted, in a post
- Potential speed improvements
- Add support for a separate extension which enables a browser button. You can install the extension here: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jmhkgkpgnifdhpkjfjolilcikhahmbbk

Keyboard shortcuts have been added to the Quick Reply box
Current commands are
  • ctrl+b for bold
  • ctrl+i for italics
  • ctrl+u for underline
  • ctrl+s for strikeout
  • ctrl+f for fixed width text (the best kind of text)
  • ctrl+p for spoilers
  • and ctrl+8 puts things in a list because I guess eight is on the same key as *

Ferg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 30, 2010

Sully
Feb 6, 2009
I've been using this since I read about it in the Extensions thread, made the switch from Firefox that much easier.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
I'd really like to switch to the newest beta, but when I run the installer from here: http://www.google.com/landing/chrome/beta/, it just reinstalls 3.x. Am I missing something?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KillerMojo posted:

I'd really like to switch to the newest beta, but when I run the installer from here: http://www.google.com/landing/chrome/beta/, it just reinstalls 3.x. Am I missing something?

You want the dev channel, not beta: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

You can also run Chromium's nightly builds (fairly stable these days): http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/04/chromium-updater.html

AdolChristin
Jul 10, 2006
The Grand Poobah
Maybe add to the OP that before bothering Ferg with any stupid questions, you should make sure that the thread options in your preferences are set properly (I speak from experience).

Great job Ferg, you singlehandedly allowed me to be able to switch to Chrome from Firefox with this addon!

AdolChristin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 30, 2009

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

AdolChristin posted:

Maybe add to the OP that before bothering Ferg with any stupid questions, you should make sure that the thread options in your preferences are set properly (I speak from experience).

Great job Ferg, you singlehandedly allowed me to be able to switch to Chrome from Firefox with this addon!

There is a disclaimer built into the extension itself on the color settings page; but, all in all this isn't a bad idea as it will save a lot of people the hassle.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AdolChristin posted:

Added.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Very awesome, Chrome is looking to replace Firefox entirely for me. How do you get to that spiffy settings window? I tried just typing in chrome-extension://kgcmghhihjdhihlkbdajpapnccalekja/settings.html but the Okay button to save settings isn't working, and it also doesn't look like the screenshot you posted with the nice UI, it's a little messy. Am I just accessing it incorrectly?

Also, I noticed a bug with the page navigator when there's a horizontal scrollbar it gets covered up:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zeph posted:

Very awesome, Chrome is looking to replace Firefox entirely for me. How do you get to that spiffy settings window? I tried just typing in chrome-extension://kgcmghhihjdhihlkbdajpapnccalekja/settings.html but the Okay button to save settings isn't working, and it also doesn't look like the screenshot you posted with the nice UI, it's a little messy. Am I just accessing it incorrectly?

Also, I noticed a bug with the page navigator when there's a horizontal scrollbar it gets covered up:

Yeah, I noticed that scrollbar issue. If you turn on image size restrictions it'll go away. I haven't figured out a solid fix yet.

Another known bug is that a thread with a single page has a goofed up page navigator. This bug has been fixed, I just haven't rolled it out yet.

To access the settings menu click on the SA logo in your omnibar. I'll add this to the OP.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 30, 2009

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

Ferg posted:

To access the settings menu click on the SA logo in your omnibar. I'll add this to the OP.

There's no favicon showing in the omnibar in OS X, for some reason (maybe a bug in dev build). I had to view source from about :extensions, expand the dev console, and manually hit the "onToolbarClick()" function. Otherwise, though, everything seems to work fine!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eXpired posted:

There's no favicon showing in the omnibar in OS X, for some reason (maybe a bug in dev build). I had to view source from about :extensions, expand the dev console, and manually hit the "onToolbarClick()" function. Otherwise, though, everything seems to work fine!

Somebody has mentioned this to me before. Apparently it's an OSX thing. Is this on Chrome or Chromium? I can add a note in the OP since I doubt most people will figure this out on their own.

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

Ferg posted:

Somebody has mentioned this to me before. Apparently it's an OSX thing. Is this on Chrome or Chromium? I can add a note in the OP since I doubt most people will figure this out on their own.

Chrome, not Chromium. Seems like this would be fixed in an official build, so probably nothing worth worrying too much about. Might be worth just appending a clickable control somewhere on the dom that can launch the support page instead, though.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Ferg posted:

Yeah, I noticed that scrollbar issue. If you turn on image size restrictions it'll go away. I haven't figured out a solid fix yet.

Another known bug is that a thread with a single page has a goofed up page navigator. This bug has been fixed, I just haven't rolled it out yet.

Sweet, thanks. Got it working just fine now. Think it'd be hard to put in an enable/disable thread highlighting though, without turning off thread tracking? I personally don't like having that on, but everything else is great.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eXpired posted:

Chrome, not Chromium. Seems like this would be fixed in an official build, so probably nothing worth worrying too much about. Might be worth just appending a clickable control somewhere on the dom that can launch the support page instead, though.

Actually, while developing this initially I exposed a major bug in the page actions API. I reported it and there was a fix relatively quickly, but it's possible the fix is only in the Windows and Linux builds right now. I know that the Linux build was a bit behind on that fix for a week or two.

That being said, there is the option to embed "Configure SALR" in the header links. I'll make that a default option, to prevent this from occurring.

Zeph posted:

Sweet, thanks. Got it working just fine now. Think it'd be hard to put in an enable/disable thread highlighting though, without turning off thread tracking? I personally don't like having that on, but everything else is great.

Yeah I can do that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just rolled out v0.3.3 which defaults the "Configure SALR" link to enabled, so that should help with OS X users. Also adds the 'Ban History' link to a user's post. Because that's always fun.

Edit: Zeph, I've got your request on the TODO but right now I'm putting a ban on new features until some code cleanup happens. Some bad stuff is starting to snowball, need to fix that first.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 30, 2009

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!
It's been years since I've used the Firefox SALR, so this is probably just a copy from it... but the main reason I'd stopped using it is because I actually preferred the forum enhancements for how it shows the number of new replies and the "jump to last read post" feature.

In my opinion, it's far better to have the number of new messages directly next to the subject that's clickable to jump to last read (exactly how it is in the forum software now) than to need to scan over to the number of thread messages for new replies in parens. This is probably a preference thing, though.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eXpired posted:

It's been years since I've used the Firefox SALR, so this is probably just a copy from it... but the main reason I'd stopped using it is because I actually preferred the forum enhancements for how it shows the number of new replies and the "jump to last read post" feature.

In my opinion, it's far better to have the number of new messages directly next to the subject that's clickable to jump to last read (exactly how it is in the forum software now) than to need to scan over to the number of thread messages for new replies in parens. This is probably a preference thing, though.

Yeah, once I get Zeph's idea implemented that will become an option. For me, I find those gray buttons that the forum provides really hard to read. If highlighting is a plus, but the buttons isn't I can make those variable also. Use the native forum buttons, but choose whatever colors you want.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
My chrome refuses to open the extension. I'm using the dev build. When I click save, it pops up a dialog telling me the computer doesn't know how to open a .crx, and to search the web for a solution. I tried associating .crx with chrome, but that just makes me download another copy of it every time i try to install it. Is there a manual way to install an extension?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Atarian posted:

My chrome refuses to open the extension. I'm using the dev build. When I click save, it pops up a dialog telling me the computer doesn't know how to open a .crx, and to search the web for a solution. I tried associating .crx with chrome, but that just makes me download another copy of it every time i try to install it. Is there a manual way to install an extension?

Did you try dragging the file into the Chrome window? What's the Chrome version number?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Yup. It popped up a dialog asking where I wanted to save a copy. Version number 4.0.213.1

Update: I extracted the .crx with winrar and installed it from "load unpacked extension" in chrome://extensions.

Atarian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 1, 2009

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Atarian posted:

Yup. It popped up a dialog asking where I wanted to save a copy. Version number 4.0.213.1

Update: I extracted the .crx with winrar and installed it from "load unpacked extension" in chrome://extensions.

Well, that will work. You can add --load-extension="c:\path\to\extension\dir" to your shortcut path to permanently load it. Wait for the next build of the dev channel and try again with the CRX I suppose.

Windows build?

Also, just something to keep in mind, when you "load and unpacked extension" it loads to a fake hash URL. What this basically means is the location in which settings are saved may change from time-to-time, so if you're running the extension this way, don't be surprised if you have to reset your settings once in a while.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Ferg posted:

Well, that will work. You can add --load-extension="c:\path\to\extension\dir" to your shortcut path to permanently load it. Wait for the next build of the dev channel and try again with the CRX I suppose.

Windows build?

Win7 Build 7100

Looking good! I really miss the right click page navigation widget thing though.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Atarian posted:

Ararian,

There for a while I was getting that same issue, you download it and it would immediately pop up a save dialog. I found that clicking save again would pop up the install dialog. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having but I just thought that might help.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

wmbest2 posted:

Ararian,

There for a while I was getting that same issue, you download it and it would immediately pop up a save dialog. I found that clicking save again would pop up the install dialog. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having but I just thought that might help.

I was hoping it was that simple. I just ended up with a bunch of copies, like SALR-extension (1).crx, etc.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Atarian posted:

I was hoping it was that simple. I just ended up with a bunch of copies, like SALR-extension (1).crx, etc.

Do you have choose where to save file checked under options? That may be the problem. We may also want to include this in the first poster.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Do you have choose where to save file checked under options? That may be the problem. We may also want to include this in the first poster.

Added.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is minor, but in the Firefox version you could pick your own images for the mark unread/jump to last read links. Any chance of that option making its way over eventually?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Javid posted:

This is minor, but in the Firefox version you could pick your own images for the mark unread/jump to last read links. Any chance of that option making its way over eventually?

I'll have to experiment. Unfortunately the Chrome extensions API is a whole different animal from the Firefox native API, so the features that can be replicated are done in an entirely different way. Nothing comes to mind with how I can pull that off, but I'll keep it in the back of my head.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well, thanks for that. I tried unzipping the thing and swapping out the images I wanted, but chrome came up with the incredibly helpful error "bad magic number" when I went to install it. :v:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Javid posted:

Well, thanks for that. I tried unzipping the thing and swapping out the images I wanted, but chrome came up with the incredibly helpful error "bad magic number" when I went to install it. :v:

Yeah, that'll goof up the hash. You can checkout the source from Github if you'd like.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If possible, I'd like an option to move the number of unread posts over by the buttons like so:

This is a nice hybrid between the built-in display on the forums and the current SALR'd display, I think. I personally prefer the buttons to the gray box, but hate looking over to the right for the number of new posts.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Threads that I've marked with a red star on the forums are highlighted as green using SALR. Just minor, but it bugs me.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Linx posted:

Threads that I've marked with a red star on the forums are highlighted as green using SALR. Just minor, but it bugs me.

This is because as of right now we are only distinguishing against read and unread. In otherwords just the two color options are available. This is definitely something that is possible. Ferg had put a halt on new features for a bit but we can make a note of it and plan for a future release. Ferg let me know if your opinion differs on the subject.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wmbest2 posted:

This is because as of right now we are only distinguishing against read and unread. In otherwords just the two color options are available. This is definitely something that is possible. Ferg had put a halt on new features for a bit but we can make a note of it and plan for a future release. Ferg let me know if your opinion differs on the subject.

Meh, code cleanup needs to happen.

I logged both of these on Github though. Once I get things situated in the codebase, I'll see about getting them into a release.

FloatingPoop
Aug 15, 2001

Cuz it's all so fuckin hysterical
I keep getting an error when I try to install it saying "invalid value for 'permissions[0]'"

Not sure what I'm doing wrong....

thank you!

edit: oops, I'm using 3.x

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
Loving this, haven't been able to use SALR since chrome came out (switched to chrome immediately at launch).

I'd like to make an easy feature request that the firefox plugin already has: can you bring back the option to NOT display the blue and red SALR style go-to-last-post buttons and just keep the original white forum button with the number inside?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Insidious posted:

Loving this, haven't been able to use SALR since chrome came out (switched to chrome immediately at launch).

I'd like to make an easy feature request that the firefox plugin already has: can you bring back the option to NOT display the blue and red SALR style go-to-last-post buttons and just keep the original white forum button with the number inside?

Yeah that's been requested before. I'll definitely add it to the stack. I'm hoping to get the code cleanup done this week so I can start knocking out new features again.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

There are some things I'm missing from the Firefox version, namely the ability to use the forum default, gradiantless shading and the default "mark as unread" and "go to first unread post" button, and the ability to disable the thread navigator.

Also, and I don't know if this was an unintended side-effect of how they moved threads, but the FF one always put stickies at the top of the page, even in the bookmark list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not sure what happened, as it was working fine last night. However, this morning, the extension causes Chrome to crash whenever I attempt visit a forum. I'm using the latest version of dev Chrome and the extension.

• Locked thread