Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lswa
Jan 27, 2004
TheRealLswa
I work here (http://www.history.com/video.do?name=modernmarvels&bcpid=1767981841&bclid=1799109305&bctid=1601261669) and I can tell you that it loving rules.

I get to see the results of my work as a 7-12 ton per minute river of molten iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
I studied EE. Now I work in nuclear power and it is super awesome.

If you want to know more, let me know.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Phlegmbot posted:

I'm studying EE. I want to know more.

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

THIS IS MY ORGANIZATION NOW,...BRO!
Any Chemical Engineers in the house? I'd seriously considering it, as well as straight-up Chemistry. Care to enlighten me?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Wensey posted:

Any Chemical Engineers in the house? I'd seriously considering it, as well as straight-up Chemistry. Care to enlighten me?

Do you like organic chemistry? Do you really like pipes, steam tables, and more pipes? If so, then chemical engineering may be for you!

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

DNova posted:

I'm studying EE. I want to know more.

From another thread:

Power engineer

Pros:
Great pay and benefits
1.5x overtime, 2x on weekends, after 35 hours
Flextime
A lot of responsibility
Good mix of routine and unique projects
Challenging
Great boss
Mostly recession proof
Important job
My company reimburses for physical fitness, professional organizations, books, etc
Union-backed job security

Cons:
Not a lot of eye candy around the office
Stressful urgent work can pop up at any time

More:

I studied EE, doing a 13-month internship in networking along the way. After graduation, did a MSEE in electromagnetics. When applying for jobs, I lucked out with a bunch of offers. Nuclear power seemed to be the most interesting, so I took it.

I work at a desk in a downtown office, going out to the plants only occasionally.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

The Wensey posted:

I have a bachelors and masters in chemical engineering (currently working on a PhD); feel free to ask any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006
Anybody know anything about what an Engineering/Applied Physics degree opens up?

NeverOddorEven
Dec 8, 2005

Adahn the nameless posted:

Anybody know anything about what an Engineering/Applied Physics degree opens up?

Just about anything you would want to do. You can do grad school is just about any subject that is business/science/engineering. You can also do any sort of job in those fields if you can convince the hiring guy you can do it.

I was a CS major that went to EE that ended up in physics. This is pretty much the exact opposite direction that is normally gone. Usually it goes EE to CS to MiS. My internship was with a giant finance company getting paid 20/hour

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.
I've done mechanical work:
Corportate: equipment design; equipment specifications,
Plant: dig apart in equipment to determine cause of failure; maintenance planning and reliability (at a plant)

And chemical engineering:
Corporate: plant design, steam pipe sizing (and boiler specification), water piping sizing
Plant: Troubleshoot systems to determine what's broken in them when they act up (this is limited)

And since some of you guys were bitching about interns posting. I did these things through 3 summers at one company, and 2 co-op terms at another. The only time my internship didn't pay over $50k was the first summer.

I have 10 hours left on a BSME

e: if you want more details on any of these let me know

Corrupted fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 3, 2009

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

NeverOddorEven posted:

Just about anything you would want to do. You can do grad school is just about any subject that is business/science/engineering. You can also do any sort of job in those fields if you can convince the hiring guy you can do it.

I was a CS major that went to EE that ended up in physics. This is pretty much the exact opposite direction that is normally gone. Usually it goes EE to CS to MiS. My internship was with a giant finance company getting paid 20/hour

I meant a master's in applied Physics. I have a B.A is Physics, but I'm not finding much with it.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

I meant a master's in applied Physics. I have a B.A is Physics, but I'm not finding much with it.

Unfortunately there is a bit of difference between a BA and BS in physics. Regardless, I think it may be hard without going above the bachelor's in that field.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Necc0 posted:

If you are just an average engineer you're probably going to be making 50+ thousand right off the bat, and it's unreal. I was used to having zero money all through college and cutting corners just to pay bills and feed myself, then suddenly you're making way more.

I found this to be very true.

I picked up a degree in Computer Engineering, and ended up working at a company helping repair, maintain, and retrofit their CNC machines to use newer computers and newer software.

I am not quite sure how they found me because I didn't even apply for the job. They just called me up and said that they heard I was good at fixing things. The variety of work is amazing, and the pay is very nice.

I do software (writing post processors and CAD work), hardware (rewiring the machines, soldering together new interface boards), and physical repair work on the machines (replacing motors, etc). I am also doing all their IT style work (VPN setup, computer maintenance).

I didn't do any official internships during college, but I did do all kinds of odd computer jobs for people in various forms of industrial work starting back in middle school. I am guessing someone probably mentioned my name to them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corrupted posted:

Unfortunately there is a bit of difference between a BA and BS in physics.

Harvard is usually ranked 1 in astrophysics and will only issue you a BA in physics. Caltech will also be happy to issue you a BS in English. Don't make assumptions about the BA vs BS thing without knowing about the school you're talking about.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

hobbesmaster posted:

Harvard is usually ranked 1 in astrophysics and will only issue you a BA in physics. Caltech will also be happy to issue you a BS in English. Don't make assumptions about the BA vs BS thing without knowing about the school you're talking about.

Ah, didn't realize it was so different at other places. I retract =)

Blobbo
Jun 21, 2000

Corrupted posted:

Ah, didn't realize it was so different at other places. I retract =)

Same with Oxford and Cambridge in the UK - I believe they only issue BAs at undergraduate level. Seems to be a trend with older universities.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Blobbo posted:

Same with Oxford and Cambridge in the UK - I believe they only issue BAs at undergraduate level. Seems to be a trend with older universities.

Princeton only hands out BSEs in its engineering school (likely due to the sort of attitudes illustrated above). Everything else is an AB at the undergraduate level.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Phlegmbot posted:

How did you get into Nuclear Power? I'm an EE as well and I briefly looked into it as something I wanted to do, but then got a cool internship and started doing Networking.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

How did you get into Nuclear Power? I'm an EE as well and I briefly looked into it as something I wanted to do, but then got a cool internship and started doing Networking.

I just applied for a job on my university's career centre. My company mostly hires mechs and chems - I was the only EE they hired at the time. We do reactor physics, radiation physics, containment, fuel channels, thermo, risk assessment, design, etc.

Like you, I also did my internship in telecomm networking. I also did a research summer position in photonics. I did my senior design project in biomed/digital hardware. And I did an MSEE in electromagnetics. So it's not like your internship experience totally dictates the rest of your life. You can look into other areas too.

My job choices were between nuclear stuff (not related to my research) and military satellite stuff (much more closely related to my research). The nuclear job had better pay, location, benefits, and options for advancement. Both jobs seemed to have an equal cool factor to me, so I went with nuclear.

Problems with the industry: not popular with a lot of people, you are at the whim of stupid politicians, etc.

Potatoes
Jun 12, 2009

Relax
If any of your excellent engineering firms are hiring I would love to tell you how awesome I am.

Me being a recent graduate with a chemical engineering degree and only a single academic internship under belt. My analytical and math modeling skills are pretty great I'd like to think.

Also If you are going to major in engineering I would suggest not working 40-60 hours a week and instead get industry experience even it pays significantly less! Better to graduate with big loans and a few job offers than with little loans and no offers.

Investigate the company that offers you a job. Even if you accept they might get bought out by DOW chemical a few months later and rescind all their offers just in time for graduate school deadlines to pass and for the economy to really bottom out.

Edit: I'll work for 43k and move to anywhere in the country.

Potatoes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 4, 2009

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
Can anyone tell me anything about Environmental Engineering?

Realjones
May 16, 2004
I know I'm not the only person here who shares this sentiment: don't bother with bioengineering.

If you like biology/medical stuff and engineering go with chemical (or possibly mechanical) and take the upper level bioengineering courses as electives. You'll come out with the same knowledge base and be so much more rounded and marketable.

My degree is in bioengineering and I went to graduate school in a medical field so it didn't affect me at all, but I honestly took so much chemistry I was only one lab away from having a minor in it that I should have just gone chemical engineering from the start. BioE is such a big field that unless your school has detailed concentration paths you'll just be wasting your time.

Bioengineering is just taking other major's classes and subbing in body parts - bones and ligaments in place of bridges and trusses...it's the exact same concepts. You aren't missing anything (at least in the low level classes) by going with a different major. And again you can always take the good upper level bioe stuff as electives.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Realjones posted:

I know I'm not the only person here who shares this sentiment: don't bother with bioengineering.

A lot of biomedical engineering departments discourage students from picking it up as an undergraduate degree unless they're planning on either going to graduate or medical school. It's just too new of a field.

I pretty much did what you recommend (majored in chemical engineering, but did all my upper electives in advanced bio-courses), and am pretty happy about it.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Pfirti86 posted:

A lot of biomedical engineering departments discourage students from picking it up as an undergraduate degree unless they're planning on either going to graduate or medical school. It's just too new of a field.

Yes, it's really for those who KNOW they want to spend their lives doing biology related research (the lifelong student route) and/or are going to graduate school. For my class I believe over 70% went directly into some other higher secondary school (i.e. not into industry).

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

Corrupted posted:

Unfortunately there is a bit of difference between a BA and BS in physics. Regardless, I think it may be hard without going above the bachelor's in that field.

Yeah, unfortunately I know. But what I'm asking is: With a Master's in Applied/Engineering Physics, what kinds of jobs are open to me?

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

The Wensey posted:

M.S. in chemical engineering. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ryan_Rooker posted:

As a new wave of students enter college I think it would be a good idea for new engineers and maybe some further along people, like me, to really understand what all this work is for.

M.E. checking in.

What they literally told us on my first day of college was that we'd learn a ton of poo poo and only use about 5% of it, but it'd be a different 5% for each of us. Basically your tastes and your career path would determine which 5% it was. Like I've barely used a single piece of the HVAC poo poo I learned, or the electrical power transmission stuff. I HAVE used calculus, but only on a very simple level, like summing data in spreadsheets to get the area under the curve. That was actually really cool, basically figuring out the total air volume moved by a pump that had such a short run time that most of the air was moved during the ramp up and spin-down. But having the fundamental understanding of the math is what made that even possible. Other things like understanding how geometry affects the strength of things you're working on, or understanding that strength and stiffness are two different things, those fundamentals can be useful every single day.

Ryan_Rooker posted:

For you engineers out there (any type, though I would love to see some ME graduates), what was life like after school? What did you major in and what jobs did you end up having? Do you enjoy what you ended up doing or would you have wanted to pick another major? This is not so much a thread for what can you do with a major, but one for what people have done.

First off, the people I've worked with in this field tend to have stability and be stable people. In a 21 year career I've only had 4 jobs, and loved three of them. The first two were similar and fantastic, and it was only external circumstances that led me to leave them. The third job sucked rear end, but only because the engineering department (particularly me) was blamed for the incredibly lovely plastic quality coming out of our low rent chinese vendor. I mean seriously, I made a prototype run of 100 parts, which passed both lab and field testing 100%, and the first batch of 5000 parts had half of the parts fail in the box just from the forces seen in shipping. I was the only guy arguing with the VP about it, so I got laid off from that one. I'm back on my feet though, and the new job is treating me really well.

To sum up what I do on a daily basis, I design parts and get them made. Whether it's tooling for the manufacturing facility, or actual production parts and assemblies. At my first job it was all metal machined parts. At my second job it was mostly aluminum with some weird ceramics and plastics, at my third it was all injection molded plastic, and my current job has been mostly sheetmetal with some molded plastic design, and minimal machined parts.

If you work for small companies that make their own poo poo, which has been my specialty, the biggest piece of advice I can give is enjoy getting your hands dirty. This applies both to physical labor and also being humble around the people you work with. I work with the guys who assemble the things I design, and even though most of them have nothing beyond high school, I've learned far more from them on how to make stuff than they have from me.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Thank you everyone for posting this, its really a nice encouragement for all the work. One thing I was wondering was if there was possibly anyone involved with prosthetics? If you are, do you know any fellow engineer in the field who are ME?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Ryan_Rooker posted:

Thank you everyone for posting this, its really a nice encouragement for all the work. One thing I was wondering was if there was possibly anyone involved with prosthetics? If you are, do you know any fellow engineer in the field who are ME?

You'll want to look up people with a degree in Biomedical Engineering (BME).

Undergrad degrees for BME are still uncommon, but my school does one and it's very hard to get into.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Yeah, unfortunately I know. But what I'm asking is: With a Master's in Applied/Engineering Physics, what kinds of jobs are open to me?

Whatever you want. I always like the example that the Chancellor of Germany studied physics.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Magnificent Quiver posted:

You'll want to look up people with a degree in Biomedical Engineering (BME).

Undergrad degrees for BME are still uncommon, but my school does one and it's very hard to get into.

No you do NOT want to pursue biomedical engineering if you're interested in working with prosthetics. Like others have said, bioengineering is a useless undergrad degree (I graduated from top BE program) and unless you are planning to go to graduate school or medical school you are hosed. Perhaps you can go into a prosthetics graduate program (??) but I don't even know if those exist.

Those who ended up doing prosthetic work were EEs and MEs. Think about it: if a company who is designing a prosthetic arm wants to figure out/design the biomechanical components of the device, they will hire a mechanical engineer with prior biomech/bioeng experience. For the wiring and electrical components they will hire an EE with prior bioelectric/bioeng experience. Bioengineers simply do not know enough about either field. In terms of integration into the human body, that will involve surgeons and a host of other doctors, not bioengineers.

The problem with bioengineering is that at the end of your undergrad career you have the same skillset as any BS in biology lab-monkey. The only caveat is you know more math and have taken a few CE/ME/EE courses. You are a jack of all trades (not really), and an expert in none. Companies do not want an engineer who is lukewarm in many subjects, they want somebody who is awesome at a few things.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Ryan_Rooker posted:

If you are more interested in the electronic side (stuff like making it move based on user input) go EE. If you are more interested in the physical design of it (like shock absorbency) go ME. Take the upper level biomechanics classes as electives.

Don't bother with Bioengineering, unless you want to know a little bit about both sides, but not be able to do anything with it.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Here is a free tip: if you like the intellectual challenge of your engineering cirriculum, go to graduate school. You will be bored out of your mind if you go into industry with a B.S. I speak from experience :(, but at least I'm changing that now.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

boeman posted:

Here is a free tip: if you like the intellectual challenge of your engineering cirriculum, go to graduate school. You will be bored out of your mind if you go into industry with a B.S. I speak from experience :(, but at least I'm changing that now.

As with all gross generalizations in this thread, this isn't universally true. There are plenty of intellectually challenging jobs out there. It does take more initiative than school does - if you don't push yourself to constantly learn new things, it's easy to get stuck just doing the same boring things day after day.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Has anyone here been horrible at math and decided to become an engineer? How did that work out?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Slumpy posted:

Has anyone here been horrible at math and decided to become an engineer? How did that work out?

You'll have to be more specific with 'horrible'.

Do you mean someone that couldn't pass high school math? Couldn't pass high school math with trying? Could pass it barely etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slumpy posted:

Everyone thinks they're horrible at math at some point, including those with PhDs in the subject. Why do you say you're horrible at it?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slumpy posted:

If you're horrible at calculus and other math, you can most likely find an engineering job where that doesn't matter. You'll have an extremely difficult time making it through engineering school to get that degree, though. About 50% of your coursework will either be math, or extremely math intensive, and if you struggle with it, you'll spend an inordinately large amount of time on math homework and hate life.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Any advice on finding an internship (I'm MechE)? I have ok grades but no technical job experience at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

T.H.E. Rock posted:

Any advice on finding an internship (I'm MechE)? I have ok grades but no technical job experience at all.

Go to a career fair and go to every single engineering booth telling them you want an internship.