Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Gargunza posted:

If you're in the US, you might consider this ridiculous Black Friday deal from Miniature Market. I'm not sure what level of quality the Arcane Legions minis were, but still, that's 40 unpainted Egyptian dudes (some of which, the "Cursed," are mummies, if memory/looking at the box art serves) for $4 plus shipping.

Wargames Factory also makes skeletons for relatively cheap, but not that cheap; that's 30 skellys for $20. Which I guess is actually pretty cheap.

Arcane Ledions is not 28mm. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 1/72, just in case that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
...That would explain the cheapness. (Thanks for pointing that out!)

Wargames Factory is 28mm, though (they also do 15mm for certain product lines). I swear by their Amazons and WWII troops; those lines are excellent.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Arcane Ledions is not 28mm. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 1/72, just in case that matters.

Yep, I bought this one last time it was one sale for a couple bucks. The tiny dice are nice I guess, but I probably ended up tossing the rest.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Airbrush or just traditional brush and pot painting?

I have a tiny apartment and do traditional painting without any problems. Acrylic paints don't have fumes, I keep a fan on when working with things like plastic cement or acetone thinned putties.
I spray prime stuff on my patio in a cardboard box to prevent over spray and that's about it.

For airbrushing, it's probably cheaper to get a bigger place then to buy the equipment needed to safely work in a small apartment

Definitely no airbrush yet, I'm a complete beginner. Thanks for the replies everyone, I ordered some paints today.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Fyrbrand posted:

I applied Devlan Mud using an airbrush once. It worked ok but my whole basement smelled like nurgle's rear end in a top hat for about a week. Worst idea ever.

I see... won't be doing that then.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

HardCoil posted:

Finally getting around to putting some paint down on this guy :) Still needs a lot of work, but yay maternity leave, there's actully a bit of time for this now :D

Is "Red Skulls" a stupid or awesome name for a Chaos Marine group? I'm too old to know the difference anymore :corsair:

Your Skull Is Red, but red and green rarely look good together due to the Christmas association. I forget if you intend on finishing the model with an inkwash, that might help, but something more subtle than red would probably do it more justice. Regardless, truescale Marines are the best Marines, the current kit is old, aging, and its influence on the current range is toxic.

Someone mentioned how great the ancient metal Scout models are, the sculpting quality and timeless design aesthetic was undeniable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Your Skull Is Red, but red and green rarely look good together due to the Christmas association.

Man what, red and green look great together. That's like saying red and white don't look good together because of Santa Claus.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I see... won't be doing that then.

It'll be fine if you're using new GW washes. The old ones smelled horrible, especially Devlan Mud.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Your Skull Is Red, but red and green rarely look good together due to the Christmas association.

If I were to get a Christmas-y feeling from something, the model would be the last thing on my list. Those shades are so muted and work really well together.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought I'd drop this here. This is a guy I know thats been painting an army entirely in greyscale.

http://tomsundead.blogspot.co.uk/

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

serious gaylord posted:

I thought I'd drop this here. This is a guy I know thats been painting an army entirely in greyscale.

Major props for the screenshot being the finale of Angel.

And you know, the awesome painting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

It doesn't matter how long I look at it, or what kind of proof I'd see, my mind refuses to think anything other than "dude just desaturated it in photoshop".

This is so awesome.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Dude should've done a historical army to troll complete-realism grognards by citing period photos as inspiration :v:

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

ijyt posted:

It doesn't matter how long I look at it, or what kind of proof I'd see, my mind refuses to think anything other than "dude just desaturated it in photoshop".

This is so awesome.

That's because he did. You have to click through a couple of older post to see what they actually look like.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HardHead posted:

That's because he did. You have to click through a couple of older post to see what they actually look like.

I dont know what you're looking at but all of them are painted in greys, theres even progress shots.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

HardHead posted:

He took pictures of other painted models, and then desaturated them in photoshop to get an idea of what grey scaled color would look like. That's how he found that things like rust looks the same as the metal it's on, so he had to experiment to get a weathered beaten look on his metal. The VC army is all painted in grey scale.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a very good explanation about how to do something like that. Makes me want to have a go.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Finished my Shadow Weaver battery a week behind schedule (because I'm a very reluctant painter). The center one isn't glued down yet, but meh.

Next up is a Nightspinner then either some Fire Dragons or a Crimson Hunter

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Where the hell do you shop for citadel parts these days? The Games Workshop website is the worst.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Where the hell do you shop for citadel parts these days? The Games Workshop website is the worst.

In a nutshell? You don't, GW shut down their 'parts' ordering service ages ago. Your only route now is ebay and/or a handful of 'bits' sellers online (that never have the popular bits in stock)

Even then, I think GW changed their T&Cs to resellers to effectively stop that practice too but I'm not really up to speed on the past 6 months of developments on that front.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Why the hell would they do that? To force you to buy a whole set to get a single part?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Why the hell would they do that? To force you to buy a whole set to get a single part?

In short, yes. The bean counters want a better ROI, and it costs less effort/man-hours to ship a complete kit than it does to pick out an individual sprue by hand and ship that. You'll notice that even smaller vendors like Wargames Factory (who I've been relentlessly flogging today for some reason) only offer a limited selection of sprues on demand directly as well, and they have arguably more profit to lose on labor-intensive operations like sprue sales.

The focus on profit over all else (plus their ridiculous changes to their retail agreements) is my major beef with GW, who otherwise make excellent kits. (I'm sure there's a better explanation somewhere upthread as well.)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Boon posted:

Finished my Shadow Weaver battery a week behind schedule (because I'm a very reluctant painter). The center one isn't glued down yet, but meh.

Next up is a Nightspinner then either some Fire Dragons or a Crimson Hunter

These are so awesome! They look like playmobile in the best way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Yes, exactly that. Selling bits themselves would be GW taking a cut on their bottom line in order to provide a service that hobbyists really enjoy and that makes customers happy in the long term, which is the opposite of GW's business strategy in recent years. It sounds like bitching grognard poo poo but I really do think they made the decision that they were not a sustainable business model long term so might as well get as much money up front as they can before it falls through. I'm a nerd who is bad with money and has enough disposable income that I don't really worry about hobby expenditures and I quit shortly after 6th edition 40k, despite liking the edition WAY more than 5th, because it just became too expensive to even maintain 1 army, much less think about starting a new one.

The sole reason you can still buy bitz from 3rd party sellers on ebay is because they haven't figured out a way to shut that down yet. If you go into a GW store and talk about a project you're working on, they literally will try to hardsell you on a whole box to get one particular piece. I can't count how many times I have mentioned I played Dark Angels and had them try to sell me a Fantasy general on horseback kit for 40 bucks because the gigantic baroque flag his standard bearer carries would be perfect for DAs. Admittedly, it would be, and I would probably have paid 10 bucks for it separate, but no way will I be buying an already overpriced kit for a game I don't play just to throw the knight on horseback away and use the drat flag.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I've been off the Games Workshop wagon for about 8 years now and even when I was younger, custom conversions and kit bashing was my favourite part of the hobby. Hell the only reason I asked the original question is because I was looking to make some custom minis for my new Pathfinder/D&D group as Christmas presents. If what you're all saying is true and I have no reason to believe it's not, GW can go gently caress themselves and the sooner household 3D printers reach a high enough quality the better. I hope it turns them into a small rulebook house.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So far my stripping attempt has been met with limited success with it barely working and me almost ruining the models by using boiling hot water (:doh:) for a second attempt so now I've just added more Greensoap and hope for the best by the end of next week. Some paint is flaking though but off the (slightly warped) bases and not the models themselves. Probably need to get a better brush as well.

Also I discovered that Vallejo plastic putty is amazing for filling the gaps in the slotted bases but is kinda hard to work with if you only have toothpicks as tools. Need to remedy that. Stuff dries hella fast though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there anyone, GW or otherwise, putting out multi-part kits like the old Mordheim human warband? Having a ton of weapon/armor/trinket options to build a few guys with was always very awesome.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

I've been off the Games Workshop wagon for about 8 years now and even when I was younger, custom conversions and kit bashing was my favourite part of the hobby. Hell the only reason I asked the original question is because I was looking to make some custom minis for my new Pathfinder/D&D group as Christmas presents. If what you're all saying is true and I have no reason to believe it's not, GW can go gently caress themselves and the sooner household 3D printers reach a high enough quality the better. I hope it turns them into a small rulebook house.

I was about to say that the other guys weren't quite right for your specific idea and that the warhammer plastic multipart character packs were a decent deal for making RPG minis... then I checked the price and found that it was 50% higher than last time I checked. :doh:

Still, the bits (bitz) sites and ebay aren't THAT terrible. If you have lots of patience you can eventually get what you want.

However, for RPG character models you are probably better looking at Reaper, Freebooter minis, avatars of war and so on.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Are their any kits - from any company, regardless of price - that have things with well sculpted jewellery, or money, treasure of any kind? They can be on a figure or as separate elements, I'm just looking for good examples of miniature sculpts.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pilgrimski posted:

However, for RPG character models you are probably better looking at Reaper, Freebooter minis, avatars of war and so on.

Seconded on Reaper, especially the Bones series. The weird vinyl Bonesium plastic holds a surprising amount of detail from the metal originals most of them are based on, and for the price they make for nice, easy, cheap conversions.

(Confession/derail time: Some years back, before I discovered my go-to FLGS, I wandered into a Games Workshop store in a fit of last-minute holiday shopping, looking for--this is, ugh, this is embarrassing--looking for Dungeons & Dragons books. Didn't realize I was in One Of Those Places until I saw the ranks of neckbeards High Elf cavalry lining the shelves. One of the redshirts immediately began The Pitch, which I somehow cut short by feigning being a Tau player--the only 40k army I'd heard of. Fortunately, from the look on his face, I don't think he'd ever seen a Tau player before, and the novelty left him momentarily speechless. I barely escaped with my wallet intact.)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there anyone, GW or otherwise, putting out multi-part kits like the old Mordheim human warband? Having a ton of weapon/armor/trinket options to build a few guys with was always very awesome.

Besides the fact that they still make the Free Company box, the Empire hunters box is also cool.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Seconded on Reaper, especially the Bones series. The weird vinyl Bonesium plastic holds a surprising amount of detail from the metal originals most of them are based on, and for the price they make for nice, easy, cheap conversions.

I can second that Bones are ridiculously convertible. And Reaper does sell convenient bits packs for things like weapons, shields, musical instruments, wings, steampunk accessories, etc.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished him tonight, might need a few more touch ups, but time to move onto something else. Hopefully I can get a better picture next week, throw him in a few pictures at a big 40K get together.

Got the weird yellow tint all around it though from inside lights and lovely phone. Think someone had a way to bring white out more in backgrounds in photos, if they could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Also, pretty much done with bikers since all I've done the past month or two is the Chapter Master and six bikers, so started up on Terminators. Put some colors together and like the way the are coming together.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Khorne Flakes posted:

Think someone had a way to bring white out more in backgrounds in photos, if they could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Using only natural daylight is how you get the best white balance in photos, but a close 2nd place is using your camera's custom white balance setting. Find the manual for the camera & search for "custom white balance". When you take the photo, ensure that all the illuminated bulbs are the same brand and make. Then find a "true white" piece of cardstock, or plasticard. It doesn't work as well if it is a sheet of paper that light (and darkness) can show through.

When you do your custom white balancing, ensure that the only thing showing is the white.

Helpful?

E: grammar tweaks

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I know it comes down to having a proper camera with settings and better lighting. I thought I read somewhere in here there was a way to make white backgrounds more white and not yellow by running an image through something quickly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Khorne Flakes posted:

I know it comes down to having a proper camera with settings and better lighting. I thought I read somewhere in here there was a way to make white backgrounds more white and not yellow by running an image through something quickly.

I use GIMP and I don't remember the exact sequence of commands but I googled 'gimp white balance' and it sorted me out pretty much instantly.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, exactly that. Selling bits themselves would be GW taking a cut on their bottom line in order to provide a service that hobbyists really enjoy and that makes customers happy in the long term, which is the opposite of GW's business strategy in recent years. It sounds like bitching grognard poo poo but I really do think they made the decision that they were not a sustainable business model long term so might as well get as much money up front as they can before it falls through. I'm a nerd who is bad with money and has enough disposable income that I don't really worry about hobby expenditures and I quit shortly after 6th edition 40k, despite liking the edition WAY more than 5th, because it just became too expensive to even maintain 1 army, much less think about starting a new one.

The sole reason you can still buy bitz from 3rd party sellers on ebay is because they haven't figured out a way to shut that down yet. If you go into a GW store and talk about a project you're working on, they literally will try to hardsell you on a whole box to get one particular piece. I can't count how many times I have mentioned I played Dark Angels and had them try to sell me a Fantasy general on horseback kit for 40 bucks because the gigantic baroque flag his standard bearer carries would be perfect for DAs. Admittedly, it would be, and I would probably have paid 10 bucks for it separate, but no way will I be buying an already overpriced kit for a game I don't play just to throw the knight on horseback away and use the drat flag.

It's a pipe dream, but I wish Reaper would come out with a killer app war/skirmish game ruleset or something. Bones is like the shining city on a hill of making cool minis while still being decent human beings. With a Bones character you literally can do the thing where you buy a figure just to chop off the bit you want because you pay like 2.50 for a human sized character or 5-8 for a big ogre or a knight on horseback or something.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 30, 2013

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Khorne Flakes posted:

JerryLee posted:

I use GIMP and I don't remember the exact sequence of commands but I googled 'gimp white balance' and it sorted me out pretty much instantly.

In GIMP it's Colours Menu->Levels. Then you'll get a small window with a graph and 3 paint dropper icons (one black, one grey and one white). Click on the white one and then click on the background of your photo (assuming it's white, if not take it with some paper in as a reference point). This will work fine most of the time, if it's too bright or not bright enough, drag the left most triangle icon below the graph left (to make brighter), or right (to make darker).

If the colour's are a bit off too, picking the grey dropper and choosing a grey section of the photo will work wonders.

In photoshop the steps are the same, but I think the Levels menu is called Threshold.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
So I decided to try and weather the poo poo out of my GK vehicles starting with my chimera and thought I'd get some cross opinions. The before/after pics:

And a comparison shot to the other non-weathered vehicles as well as an ork using the same sponge weathering method. The main difference was switching from a dark [scorched] brown to a lighter [bestial] brown. I was worried the dark brown would pop too much on the white side but not be very noticeable on the black side. I also used the the dark n' light brown GW texture paints on the treads but they were dried out as hell and required a liberal moistening to be useable.

So weather the rest of my vehicles: Yea or nay? Go a little less hardcore? Switch back to a dark brown instead of light? And yes, I realize now I forgot the back two 'lights' or whatever they're supposed to be.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
A bit less maybe, but I definatly see the potential for greatness. How did you apply it, with a sponge? I'm about to do some weathering myself and I've never done it before other than drybrushing metal on the edges.

Lethemonster posted:

Are their any kits - from any company, regardless of price - that have things with well sculpted jewellery, or money, treasure of any kind? They can be on a figure or as separate elements, I'm just looking for good examples of miniature sculpts.

Someone posted a link a few pages ago in this thread or the wh fantasy one with tips on how to model stuff like piles of gold, goblets and things like that.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JoshTheStampede posted:

They stopped doing it because it didnt make them any money. No other reason.

• Locked thread