Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Please post that weathering tutorial to your/a blog Bulbasaur so I can bookmark it. Amazing.

Now just to work out how I can apply to Deathclaw the angry Griffin. Definitely want to test out using a pencil on his armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It should be noted that IIRC the Secret Weapon metallic weathering powder is mostly graphite and you can achieve the same effect by literally grinding up pencils. Some of the local FoW people do it and it looks real nice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I used graphite on my ill-fated Great Unclean One a few years back to give a metallic tinge to his rusted cleaver. It is a wonderful technique.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my flamer-toting guardsmen today:

They're converted from the Steel Legion plasma gunner. If you remember, I've also done melta gunners, and here's all three side by side:

Hey Steel Legion buddy! What color are you using for your coats? I picked up a can of Army Painter Desert Yellow for mine - I think it's a pretty good match for the traditional color. Also, I have a cat helper as well - along with her and the dog tail, they managed to help my Epic Ork Landa break into its component parts probably around eight times in the month leading up to Adepticon.

Airbrush talk: I just purchased one of these sets on Ebay. I needed a compressor with an actual tank (and it's drat quiet, compared to my previous compressor) and a brush that had a large paint cup. The downside is that the fitting on the compressor is not the same size as the hose for my Sotar, so until I get an adapter, I can't use the Sotar. The specifications on the compressor page say it is a 1/8" fitting, but it seems much larger than that. Anybody have experience with this setup? I need to know what adapter to buy to make the hose fitting compatible with my Badger brush.

EDIT: I think I figured out what I need.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It should be noted that IIRC the Secret Weapon metallic weathering powder is mostly graphite and you can achieve the same effect by literally grinding up pencils. Some of the local FoW people do it and it looks real nice.
And in case of edge weathering, simply rubbing the edges with a pencil.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
[quote="berzerkmonkey" post="428890340"]
Hey Steel Legion buddy! What color are you using for your coats? I picked up a can of Army Painter Desert Yellow for mine - I think it's a pretty good match for the traditional color. Also, I have a cat helper as well - along with her and the dog tail, they managed to help my Epic Ork Landa break into its component parts probably around eight times in the month leading up to Adepticon.
[\quote]

The coats are Averland Sunset base, Agrax Earthshade Wash, Bubonic Brown highlight, Bleached bone highlight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So on top of the minitaire awesomeness I just experienced the majesty that is Vallejo Air Metallics :aaa:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Weathering? Why, don't mind if I do!

Cross-posted from the 40k thread.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

ijyt posted:

Well, drat, that puts my sponge weathered farsight enclave to shame.

Do you have more pictures?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

signalnoise posted:

So on top of the minitaire awesomeness I just experienced the majesty that is Vallejo Air Metallics :aaa:

VMA metallics are indeed the stone cold nuts. My sole complaint about it is that the range doesn't seem to include a bright orange/yellow gold.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JerryLee posted:

VMA metallics are indeed the stone cold nuts. My sole complaint about it is that the range doesn't seem to include a bright orange/yellow gold.

The VMA "gold" followed by minitaire ghost tint brown looks really nice, like a deep rich old brass or bronze. Not quite the glorious gold most mini paints are but arguably more realistic.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
One of the young painters I tutored years ago quickly proved he had way more talent than I do, (I'm a darn good painter but nothing like you gents here) he's now promoting his commission work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/War-Brush-Studio/486951161341753

Sorry, did I say more? I mean metric fucktons more.

(lance battery strike aftermath!)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What are those skeleton models?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Warmahordes cryx faction of some sort. Specifically these http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cryx/units/the-withershadow-combine

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tanith posted:

Do you have more pictures?

Once I've finished up my Riptide to tabletop standard I'll take a snap or two.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

They're the Withershade Combine.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

The effect on this is pretty awesome.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Just posting to shill out for Dark Sword Miniatures - I ordered four goofy animal men for my younger players/siblings of players and they gave me a free elven ranger in the box. Also the guys at Hasslefree sent me a Vim candy in the box :yum:

Heads up, some :nws: minis are there on both sites, but nothing too wacky.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Jcam posted:

Finally been managing to get some painting done the last few days, and made some progress on some of the Trollblood models I've had collecting dust for a while now. Could use some input, as I've got a lot more to go and want to improve.

Cross-posting from the Warmachine/Hordes thread, could use some criticism from all the talented painters on here.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jcam posted:

Cross-posting from the Warmachine/Hordes thread, could use some criticism from all the talented painters on here.

Practice your 2BB, use some pigments on that skin and get some harder edge highlights on the skin rocks. Seriously, pigment is great for Trollblood skin. You've over applied the brown wash on his jacket, next time I'd hit it with a couple real thin layers of red or a glaze that doesn't have any matte medium in it. I'd also hit the gums on the big troll's mouth with some red or purple wash.

But yeah, purple pigment for the blue skin and dark grey/black for the white skin.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

One of the young painters I tutored years ago quickly proved he had way more talent than I do, (I'm a darn good painter but nothing like you gents here) he's now promoting his commission work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/War-Brush-Studio/486951161341753
Oh, I know his work from Infinity circles. Maan those are nice, makes me want to reset my talent and start again.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Post 9-11 User posted:

Sorry, did I say more? I mean metric fucktons more.

This is loving rad

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Crosspostin' from the 40k thread. My pictures are terrible but here they are.

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

So people asked about my hungry hungry motherfucking hippo of a Helbrute. Hungry Hungry Helbrutes?

I am still poo poo at taking pictures. Just can't get them to look too decent. Sorry guys.

So there you go. Conversion of the original Helbrute before the kit came out, obviously.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
My painter bro will be stoked to hear that he has some c00lnerd painting street cred.

Weirdo posted:

Just posting to shill out for Dark Sword Miniatures - I ordered ...

These are not my style at all but I'd be a fool to say that they aren't absolutely amazing sculpts, both in concept and execution. :china:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I almost want to make that cat the praetor of my army or something

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I almost want to make that cat the praetor of my army or something

That's what I did in my campaign :haw:

The PCs are brought before the emperor to plead their case, only to find a giant cat reclining on a dais, intently watching a fire dancer's performance.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Just got back from ReaperCon, and I got a ton of great advice from the professional painters there. I've still got a [i]long[/] way to go before I win any awards, but I'm at least on the right path now.

Here's a mini I'm working on now, after getting a ton of advice from Rhonda Bender and Angela Imrie.

The artists were really awesome, too. I'd paid for a one-on-one with Imrie for an hour, and she spent about two-and-a-half going over what I was going to need to do for OSL and how to paint the crystal.

Next step is to correct places where I was too enthusiastic with the OSL and tinge the cloak more of a blue to contrast with the green light from the crystal and the rising skeletons that will be before him.

EDIT: Oh, I also got the full-sized resin Nethyrmaul they were selling. It's about 150% bigger than the bones model. It was shrunk down because of the unexpected upsize given to Kaladrax.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So I've got a little kitbash I'm working on, but part of the conversion involves sculpting some tiny details onto armor, like skulls, chapter markings on the shoulderpads, etc. For the sake of convenience I want to just make a few little molds so I can just press them on instead of sculpting each one by hand, so I'm wondering: would making a mini-mold out of greenstuff be feasible? Or is there some other, better material for doing that?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I've got a little kitbash I'm working on, but part of the conversion involves sculpting some tiny details onto armor, like skulls, chapter markings on the shoulderpads, etc. For the sake of convenience I want to just make a few little molds so I can just press them on instead of sculpting each one by hand, so I'm wondering: would making a mini-mold out of greenstuff be feasible? Or is there some other, better material for doing that?

You want Instant Mold. It's amazing for casting random things in greenstuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Funagain-Games-9001-Instant-Mold/dp/B005PODIVY

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For skulls- you can save a ton of work by chopping one off a GW model using a chisel. Then you can glue it wherever you need.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BULBASAUR posted:

For skulls- you can save a ton of work by chopping one off a GW model using a chisel. Then you can glue it wherever you need.

Buried in skulls send help.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Practice your 2BB, use some pigments on that skin and get some harder edge highlights on the skin rocks. Seriously, pigment is great for Trollblood skin. You've over applied the brown wash on his jacket, next time I'd hit it with a couple real thin layers of red or a glaze that doesn't have any matte medium in it. I'd also hit the gums on the big troll's mouth with some red or purple wash.

But yeah, purple pigment for the blue skin and dark grey/black for the white skin.

I've never tried two-brush blending, I'll definitely have to watch some tutorials and read up a bit about it. Now that you mention the brown wash on the jacket, I notice how overdone it is and it doesn't look very good.

Do you think I could go back on the Bomber and try some purple wash in the recesses just as he is now? Or is the model a little bit too saturated with paint at this point?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

dishwasherlove posted:

Please post that weathering tutorial to your/a blog Bulbasaur so I can bookmark it. Amazing.

Now just to work out how I can apply to Deathclaw the angry Griffin. Definitely want to test out using a pencil on his armour.

Mine is leadbelcher over black primer. Wash with agrax earthshade (though a purple wash will work too) and then drybrush successively lighter shades of silver to give it a nice, bright finish. The heraldric beasts are simply glazes over bright silver.

MidnightPhoenix
May 27, 2004
I'm so spinless, you can boss me around online!
Any suggestions on bending big/thick white metal bits? The pressure tank halves on my hellhound are pretty warped - one's about 5' roll-twisted, the other maybe 10' yaw. I'm not nearly strong enough to bend them back by hand... i'm leaning towards putting them in a vise (using large bolt heads to "jump" the raised bits) and hoping for the best, but maybe there is a better way?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HardCoil posted:

Wow. These are very very good. It's funny how taking a little break sometimes sharpens things :)

Hehe! Thank you. I've painted quite a few Infinity minis and I think it helped me understand what makes a good sculpt better (though I will never be that good). I also did studies in drawing figures and such and that also helps.

I think I might get some figures cast in the next couple of months or so. Any suggestions on what you might like to see?

Another couple of heads. One is oversized and the other is true to 1:56 scale. Also progress on the body/figure.

Oh, and this in super sculpey with paint and effects:

ALSO! I ordered a Neo for Iwata CN (gravity feed, dual action) Airbrush. I think it's just the brush part so I'll need a hose, some kind of air pressure device and colors.
What should I get/need to get?
Can I get by with pressurized containers and not commit to a compressor? Do all airhoses fit all brushes? Can I dilute regular paint and that will work fine?
Any handy dandy guide to best practices regarding use and maintainance? TIA.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hellbeard posted:

ALSO! I ordered a Neo for Iwata CN (gravity feed, dual action) Airbrush. I think it's just the brush part so I'll need a hose, some kind of air pressure device and colors.
What should I get/need to get?
Compressor, hose, cleaning station, airbrush holder (or bend a wire coat hanger to suit).

quote:

Can I get by with pressurized containers and not commit to a compressor?
No. gently caress no. Waste of money and time. As you use up the can it will get cold and you'll need to wait for it to warm up again so you get the pressure you need. Several cans will cost as much as a tankless compressor anyway, so just get a compressor with a small tank.

quote:

Do all airhoses fit all brushes?
Most brushes use iwata fittings, so you should be fine.

quote:

Can I dilute regular paint and that will work fine?
Yes, except GW paint, the pigment particles are too big to make for good airbrushing.

quote:

Any handy dandy guide to best practices regarding use and maintainance? TIA.
Get used to cleaning it, get a cleaning station (or just cut a hole in a drink bottle and stuff it with a paper towel, use a nicely thinned paint (thinned to skim milk consistency) and use as low a pressure as you can - start with 20-25 and with paint that's thinned properly you can go down to 10-15. Experiment to get used to your purposes and needs.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Fearless posted:

Mine is leadbelcher over black primer. Wash with agrax earthshade (though a purple wash will work too) and then drybrush successively lighter shades of silver to give it a nice, bright finish. The heraldric beasts are simply glazes over bright silver.

He is Griffondorable. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

These are awesome, and I have a question - what's the depth and the diameter of that gun barrel?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So I'm almost done with my Maulerfiend.

Originally I was going to sculpt his neck just as a bull's neck - but that sounds annoying.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking a mane of jeweler's chain with the underside of the neck covered in wiring/tendrils, but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Apollodorus posted:

Those power weapons look great!

It's a shame terminator assault squads aren't more useful in the current edition because I really want to make some maybe I will anyway

Thanks dude! They may not do crazy well in normal games, but this is for my boarding action/zone mortalis army and they seem to do great.

• Locked thread