Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Haha it would be even more awesome if they finished the outside to look like a real briefcase. Walk in with it looking business like and bust out some Blood Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have any ideas for painting albino lizards? I'm painting my Saurus Oldblood to be Gor-Rok and want him completely albino, not the "almsot-all-white-but-still-bluish" albino Saurus in the book but a completely lack of color.

I've already primed him white and gave him a light Badab Black wash to shade in the cracks of his scales. I'm thinking that Adeptus Battlegrey and white will work out to make him look albino but still give enough contrast to see detail.

Any suggestions? Especially for painting on scars?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: HOORAY FOR ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 6, 2009

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Anyone have any ideas for painting albino lizards? I'm painting my Saurus Oldblood to be Gor-Rok and want him completely albino, not the "almsot-all-white-but-still-bluish" albino Saurus in the book but a completely lack of color.

I've already primed him white and gave him a light Badab Black wash to shade in the cracks of his scales. I'm thinking that Adeptus Battlegrey and white will work out to make him look albino but still give enough contrast to see detail.

Any suggestions? Especially for painting on scars?

White base (what ever foundation paint you want, I use dheneb stone, but it's VERY redish, so I would not use that one as a base). Highlight that with some skull white or whatever your whitest white is. Hit the area with the blue wash, then highlight maybe once with a blue gray, once with a blue gray+skull white and than a final skull white highlight.

Also I am finding the GW bloodthirster is really bad to paint. His textures are really messy and make it hard to do anything interesting. On the other hand, he looks fuckin sexy with silver armor and dark red skin.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Captain Invictus posted:

JESUS CHRIST

402 pages of detailed excellence for free in a 20 megabyte download. This should be a must-download.
Well, most of those pages are just PDF-ized versions of guides already on the CMON website. Also, I don't think it's supposed to be free. :ssh:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Here's some pictures:

e: those pictures are lovely, here is a better one:

aw, hell I'm a whore. Here's a sultry rear end shot:

!amicable fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 5, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

I've got 5 tactical marines and 5 assault marines I want to paint and stick in the shop window. I'm thinking I should paint them each in a different color scheme. I'm not sure if I should paint main chapters that have codexes and special rules and fancy upgrade bits or if I should paint other chapters. Any ideas for this project?

If you need any extra bits (specifically for an Ultramarine - I've got Sicarius's backpack and a moulded shoulderpad in my bits bag somewhere though I may end up making a special model out of the bits) let me know on Wednesday/early Afternoon Friday.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 5, 2009

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess I should post my own poo poo.

Like Commissar Harrison Ford:

The Stealthsuits:

A favortie pasttime of my Marines - Who's Power Armor is Gayer?

"Maximum warp, Number 1! I want to hit them with my gunsword!"

Click here for the full 749x857 image.

Think Safety! Never stand in front of a cannon!

Think Safety! Keep monkeys with lit matches away from powderkegs!

And a moment of silence for my AoBR Warboss, who died not gloriously in battle but was looted like a tank in the dead of night...

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
After a 5 year lay off from plastic men, the GBS threads I have lurked and followed has gotten me to bite the bullet and try my hand at painting again. Basically going to use the AoBR models as tests to try and get the hang of things again.

My question is does anyone have a review from personal use of the P3 primers? I bought both of them, black and white, just to see how they would do. What white primer would you guys recommend over it?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
so er, PV, why was i remembering blue? gently caress knows! but thanks :)

i have trouble with blending in general but lack of camera and moving house = no examples. do you ever use a feathering technique or just build up successive layers?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

so er, PV, why was i remembering blue? gently caress knows! but thanks :)

i have trouble with blending in general but lack of camera and moving house = no examples. do you ever use a feathering technique or just build up successive layers?

Generally both. What I would suggest is mastering layering and how that works before you worry about blending the layers together

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
thought as much, thanks for the advice :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Amicable, those conversions/painting are really unique and sweet. I love that orangey duder on the rock :3:

e: im adding that CMON guide to the OP, please post any links you have for good tutorials, stores to get supplies cheap, etc.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 5, 2009

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Can't remember if I posted this on SA since I finished the commander...

And I'm reasonably sure I only posted these on EOW too.

Gratuitous army shot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aranan posted:

Well, most of those pages are just PDF-ized versions of guides already on the CMON website. Also, I don't think it's supposed to be free. :ssh:

Still, it's a nice all together collection. Also, is there a price for it anywhere? Or are you just assuming it's supposed to cost something?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shallow posted:

Can't remember if I posted this on SA since I finished the commander...

And I'm reasonably sure I only posted these on EOW too.

Gratuitous army shot

drat I love your orks.

For actual useful content, here's a nice link if anyone wants to make scaled cloaks or armor. It actually involves using a hex key, which I thought was pretty inventive. It's from B&C, but this just proves that sometimes they're actually useful.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Captain Invictus posted:

Still, it's a nice all together collection. Also, is there a price for it anywhere? Or are you just assuming it's supposed to cost something?
http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/product.php?xProd=2331&xSec=48&jssCart=61a7e0e4ecc2790736541a439b6ada26 :(

For content, I want to post a way to make trees out of grape stems! They look the best of any model trees I've seen so far, but I haven't gotten around to making any myself. Someone should!
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=213

Shallow, your orks rock.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

link removed from OP, Id probably edit your post invictus

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Well lookie what was waiting on my front steps.

So much for finishing up some more terrain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

link removed from OP, Id probably edit your post invictus

done and done, and whoever linked it in the first place should probably remove it too!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KingMob posted:

Oh poo poo son.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

KingMob posted:

I'm not really sure what these are so I'll just comment on the hairstyles gracing the upper-right box.

"drat."

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2009

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Despite a massive skull-splitting headache during my prime Monday painting time, I was able to make my Stormboy Nob.

So here he is, Kaptin Gobrippah

Yes his rokkit packs are a bit anemic. Maybe he overheats his "plasmer shoota" to get a lift off boost. Or the other boyz tie lines to him and carry him.

He's a Blood Axe after all - WAAAGH! smarter, not harder.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looking for something cool to do with birch seed leaves?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Repost from the warhammer thread posted:

Hey fellas, what do you think of this kind of thing?

This is a heavy weapons team that I completed recently. What do you think of the painting and colour scheme? All criticisms are welcome, especially if you have something to say about the basing.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Curses, I thought I'd checked whether the Ultimate Painting Guide was considered :filez:, as searches I attempted only came up with the free download.

Anyway it is only $10 and is well worth it considering I just put down $100 for mans I don't even know how to paint properly yet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AgentF posted:

This is a heavy weapons team that I completed recently. What do you think of the painting and colour scheme? All criticisms are welcome, especially if you have something to say about the basing.

Your image doesn't work.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Your image doesn't work.

They work for me. I like em, Id say work the colors a bit lighter via some sort of highlighting.

Even if you just did it to the base surface they would pop more

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bobvonunheil posted:

Curses, I thought I'd checked whether the Ultimate Painting Guide was considered :filez:, as searches I attempted only came up with the free download.

Anyway it is only $10 and is well worth it considering I just put down $100 for mans I don't even know how to paint properly yet.

I dunno dude, I could probably just post the table of contents and every guide could be found on cmon's website or somewhere else like brushthralls. I'm not seeing a big reason to buy any painting guides as of late when so much stuff is available for free (legally ;)) online.

... except PV's plague marine schemes. That jerk.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
Crosspostin' from notorious G.B.S:

I was pretty displeased with these initially, but I think they turned out alright in the end. The capes and guns are probably the areas most lacking, but I don't think I can bring myself to do any part of these again since I'm a lazy gently caress so I'm calling them done. C&C welcome!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Crosspost from the Warhammer thread, because PV is awesome and also threatened us with violence. :ese:
I'll go a little more in-depth here than I did in GBS:

These two handsome gentlemen were pretty much a simple kitbash. The inspiration for it was historical, as I've seen more mounted riders with polearms rather than with giant swords. The first one I did a little extra pretty basing with--a severed arm with the flame bit from the Chaos Lord on Juggernaut kit. Yes, mold lines, I see them now. Both have a plasticard cobblestone motif that I will (in theory) paint to look like a road of some kind.

And this big guy has been, so far, my largest and most thought-out conversion. To me, the original stance was a bit, well, goofy. So, with a bit of inspiration from the 40k daemons codex for the pose, as well as having watched the Dark Crystal recently, I got this guy out of it. It's my first major use of green stuff to rebuild a model, but I think it came out nice. I'm proud of it overall. :D

SplinteredMind
Jan 7, 2005

"I have to nap up. If I don't get a solid five, it kills my sunny disposition."
Being a glutton for punishment, I've decided to paint my Eldar in the Biel-Tan colour scheme. Found a really good tutorial for painting the guardians (and white armour in general) here is the link if anyone is interested in having a look :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sole.Sushi posted:

And this big guy has been, so far, my largest and most thought-out conversion. To me, the original stance was a bit, well, goofy. So, with a bit of inspiration from the 40k daemons codex for the pose, as well as having watched the Dark Crystal recently, I got this guy out of it. It's my first major use of green stuff to rebuild a model, but I think it came out nice. I'm proud of it overall. :D

I love this. Trial by Stone!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I haven't painted horses in about forever, since I don't play fantasy all that much. Here's a horse from my old Chaos army, painted circa 2003.

Not terrible, but not great.

My new army is Empire, and I've got a huge soft spot for Cavalry. I think they look cool, and they play cool too. Knights and Pistolliers are just awesome, so I've got a bunch of them in my army. 15 Pistolliers and 15 knights so far, in fact. I decided to paint the pistolliers first, and I've got the first unit of 5 almost done. The guys aren't finished but the horses pretty much are. I'm also trying to stay close to real life horses.

This is a bay horse in real life

And these are my two bay horses, painted.

A buckskin.

My buckskin

This one is a greyish appaloosa, which I don't know if such a thing really exists. Here's a "real" appaloosa...

and mine

Here's a generic, kinda bay-ish horse.

And now here they are all line up, ready to have some fun.

One color I'm trying to get right, but having trouble with, is the "silver dun."

I think that's an amazing looking horse, but my attempt at is looking more like some fantasy style "nightmare."

Highlighting black is tricky, and that pure white hair is drat hard too. I think this color scheme has potential to look great, but my paintjob just isn't living up to it. Any tips or advice would be well appreciated, on this horse or any of them. One area I realize I made a mistake is the eyes. You never see the whites of a horses eyes unless it's terrified, so I'm going to go back in and do the eyeballs all dark brown, with maybe a spot of highlight or two.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The colors on the horse in the pic are very warm, and the colors you chose for the model are very cool. Instead of highlighting the black using blue, try a warm brown (snakebite?) and for the white areas, start with a warm white, like skull white w a little snakebite/iyanden/etc in it

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This might be the most useful thing Ive found on the internet:

:siren:IT COMPARES/SWATCHES/ETC EVERY MINI PAINT LINE:siren:

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/full_line.php

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

PaintVagrant posted:

This might be the most useful thing Ive found on the internet:

:siren:IT COMPARES/SWATCHES/ETC EVERY MINI PAINT LINE:siren:

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/full_line.php

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smpbeta.php

The finalize button gives you info on what paints match the colours you selected.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Added to OP :D

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Crosspost from the Warhammer thread, because PV is awesome and also threatened us with violence. :ese:
I'll go a little more in-depth here than I did in GBS:

These two handsome gentlemen were pretty much a simple kitbash. The inspiration for it was historical, as I've seen more mounted riders with polearms rather than with giant swords. The first one I did a little extra pretty basing with--a severed arm with the flame bit from the Chaos Lord on Juggernaut kit. Yes, mold lines, I see them now. Both have a plasticard cobblestone motif that I will (in theory) paint to look like a road of some kind.

I'm totally stealing the polearm idea for my BC's.

The LoC also has an awesome feel to him. I really dislike the stock model, but your repose and GS work make him look much more menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akay
Apr 7, 2009
Well, someone made off with my DSLR camera last night from my car. So no Picture updates from me for a while. :(

• Locked thread