Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Fix, I got that thing you sent me. :thumbsup: Appreciate it, duder. Now to start assembling and priming some Ogryn and an Inquisitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Bhyo: those are dope sanguinary guard. Ill make the same suggestion to both you and fix in regards to photos. Dont look at any of my last posts photos as examples, I did those with a lovely cam on auto mode and they are crap.

Photoshop

1- make sure the shot is perfectly in focus, take multiple if you have to

2- use brightness/contrast adjustments until the background looks the same color as it is, lit, in your light tent. Use contrast adjustments til black looks close to actually black. I usually end up somewhere like 15/5 as far as brightness/contrast. Sometimes I overlight my tent so I end up working -15/5, taking light out.

3-Color is almost always desaturated in a raw shot, so consider a 5-15 point hue/saturation bump.

Skornes:

Primed black :pcgaming:
drybrushed brass balls a couple times heavily
thin wash of sepia (not really sure if this actually does anything)
edge highlight brass balls + a touch of radiant platinum (mithril would work too)

Teal
VGC scurf green over black primer, thin layers
glaze/blend in more layers of scurf+MWH til it pops

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fix posted:

It's kinda frustrating, because I actually did all of that, but I can't get the contrast in the photo. I went with the red contrast into the cape, did a few ink glazes over that to get a little tiny bit of shine, drybrushed the fur up four levels to a cool grey rather than bone, and the bird is actually done with nothing but washes and comes across as completely flat in the pic. I pushed the armor with multiple coats of dark redbrown glaze deeper and deeper into shadow.

Is it the background? Is white loving up the balance on the camera or something? How bright are the bulbs in the lights in your guys' light boxes? My kit has got these little things that don't seem to penetrate my tent, but direct light screws everything in the other direction. :(

I dunno, as you can see from the picture I posted earlier, I am fairly poo poo at photography. Maybe try a dark grey or black background?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Am... Am I a bad person for mostly painting directly from the pot? :ohdear:

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2011

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
PV, How the hell would I go about getting something like that dragon in focus. It is literally one of the worst things I've ever tried to photograph, which is very annoying when its the best thing I've ever painted.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This Inquisitor model owns because there's no way he can usefully see over his shoulder pad, but he's still trying his best.

Also, never paint from the pot. EVER. Get a palette, and add a touch of water to thin the paint. Always.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bhyo posted:

PV, How the hell would I go about getting something like that dragon in focus. It is literally one of the worst things I've ever tried to photograph, which is very annoying when its the best thing I've ever painted.

That sideshot looks pretty in focus, but I know what you mean, models with a bunch of angles that stuff sticks out are hard to shoot. If you have a sweet macro lens that helps, otherwise manually open your aperture as much as possible. You might need a tripod to compensate for the really slow shutter speed you will have to use to do this though.

I try to manually focus my camera whenever possible using the viewfinder (if your cam can do this, that is.)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
You might need to just shoot from further back and crop in photoshop. When you're that close to a model you will be dealing with depth of field issues unless you do as PV says.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah it was more for angles like this

Click here for the full 1500x1125 image.

That I really struggle.

I do just have a simple point and shoot though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If your depth of field is extremely shallow, you have too much light and the iris in your camera is closed down too much. Don't be afraid of having somewhat lower levels of light but going for a longer exposure. If your digital camera doesn't have a shutter control, by lowering the ISO it may adjust the shutter speed automatically. Take a few shots to see how your camera works best.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

That sideshot looks pretty in focus, but I know what you mean, models with a bunch of angles that stuff sticks out are hard to shoot. If you have a sweet macro lens that helps, otherwise manually open your aperture as much as possible. You might need a tripod to compensate for the really slow shutter speed you will have to use to do this though.

I try to manually focus my camera whenever possible using the viewfinder (if your cam can do this, that is.)

I wish I could manually focus. I'm stuck between my auto macro mode's range being too close and non-macro being too far. I get either blurry or brushstrokes.

edit: how low of an ISO are we talking here?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought I'd post up a retrospective photo before I box up my Space Wolves to ship home to join the rest of their brethren in storage at my Brother's house.

Here's what I've finished in the past few months.

23 Marines (Wolf Priest, Rune Priest, 2 Wolf Guard, 6 Long Fangs, and 13 Grey Hunters)

5 Terminators

2 Vehicles.

(Combined with 12 DE models and the 5 Catachan for a grand total of 47 models painted.)

It doesn't seem like much looking at it now, but it's a hell of an accomplishment for me. I've also got another 5 Wolf Guard, 5 Wolf Scouts, Njall, 10 Grey Hunters, a Rhino, and a Dreadnought sitting back at home for these guys to join up with. I just have to finish painting my Land Raider when I get back to the States and I have a fully painted army.

It's so beautiful. :qq:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hell Diver posted:

It's so beautiful. :qq:

Agreed. Also having a fully painted army is basically the best feeling.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Does anyone know a place to buy something like the brass etched portion of this kit?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140127

I saw it in the shop. I don't have much use for the rest of the kit but I would buy a dozen of those sheets up in a second if I could.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fyrbrand posted:

Agreed. Also having a fully painted army is basically the best feeling.

11 years in this drat hobby and this is the first time I've ever actually had a coherently painted army all to a standard I'm happy with.

I guess it just took that long to gain the discipline to actually sit down and finish one thing before moving on to another and forgetting about the previous.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fix posted:

edit: how low of an ISO are we talking here?

No idea. Just fiddle with 'em til you get something you like. Photography's kind of a balancing act of pain, where you have four things to adjust to get the image you want: light, aperture, ISO, shutter speed.

Start at the lowest ISO it'll give you, I guess. Make sure you're on a tripod, or can somehow otherwise keep it totally still for however long the picture takes.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Hell Diver posted:

11 years in this drat hobby and this is the first time I've ever actually had a coherently painted army all to a standard I'm happy with.

I guess it just took that long to gain the discipline to actually sit down and finish one thing before moving on to another and forgetting about the previous.

This is (hopefully) me at the end of this year. I feel like I'm actually gonna do it this time. Probably just in time for the Sororitas book to come out and completely invalidate my build.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 22, 2011

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Helldiver before I start I want to be clear that I love your stuff because I often come across like an dick when I dont mean to! What I love most about your stuff is that its all just painted in a rather simplistic way. You dont seem to have gone overboard on anything, its all just a solid grounding in technique, and a very good colour pallet which when all tied together creates a brilliantly finished model.

Anyway, I played with some of my photos and adjusting some settings and I think it looks a lot better. Cant do much about the focus though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those look tons better.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Has anyone here done any brass photo-etching? I'm becoming curious after searching for some suitable sci-fi themed etched brass like the stuff in the citadel 40k basing kit and coming up relatively empty handed - the few I did find were almost as expensive as the entire kit.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Last few months I've been playing at wood carving when its sunny outside. I'm pretty terrible at it and I've never been good at painting but I've got a tiny collection of very personalized minis. They are pretty rough and aren't Warhammer but I'm posting them anyway.

My first attempt at carving and painting that didn't end up in the garbage. I use him as a Runepriest/Viking/Generic Dwarf.

I kind of like how this kobold turned out.

Followed by this dragonborn.

So far, the Buckethead Brigade gets the most use as minions.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bhyo posted:

Helldiver before I start I want to be clear that I love your stuff because I often come across like an dick when I dont mean to! What I love most about your stuff is that its all just painted in a rather simplistic way. You dont seem to have gone overboard on anything, its all just a solid grounding in technique, and a very good colour pallet which when all tied together creates a brilliantly finished model.

That's the secret for me these days. I spent far too many hours and years blending, glazing, and doing all of these really meticulous techniques, but then one day it just hit me that you can really dispense with the vast majority of that and still have great looking paintjobs in a far more reasonable amount of time.
If I were to ever go back and do an actual display piece/competition paint job, I'd probably pull out all the stops again, but keeping things simple and clean goes a long way to A.) Making it really bold and good looking on the table top and B.) Keeping the actual painting time to a minimum and allowing me to actually complete an army,

I notice some people get too hung up in all of these advanced tutorials and try to replicate these studio effects without having a firm grasp on the basics, and then seem surprised when all I use on my faces is three colors, thin paint, and no blending. I just put the time in to learn how to get to a point and then figured out what I can strip out of the steps in between and still get the same effect. Essentially I just learned how to cheat at painting.

And for the record, I generally hate NMM because I think it's usually just pretentious artistic dick-wiggling (and this painter I used to know who was lovely, but really big on himself, used to use it poorly all the time), but those Sanguinary Guard look rad dude. :respek:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

I notice some people get too hung up in all of these advanced tutorials and try to replicate these studio effects without having a firm grasp on the basics

This is so true.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If it helps you to know the only reason I painted those in NMM was the missus got tired of me bitching about how terrible and pretentious you have to be to do it and bet me I couldnt do it.

I dont think I'd ever use it on another unit tbh, its just so much effort

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hell Diver posted:

I just put the time in to learn how to get to a point and then figured out what I can strip out of the steps in between and still get the same effect. Essentially I just learned how to cheat at painting.

This is my approach as well. I kept hassling myself trying to learn new techniques when I didn't have the simple ones like layering and simple edge highlights down pat. Advice I usually give people is to learn to walk before you run. Learn to paint cleanly (I still have to focus on doing this, I tend to rush small details and not go back and fix mistakes) and evenly, then learn some different techniques like drybrushing, the try out washes and inks, then highlighting, the layering, then glazes etc. Also, learning what colours compliment each other has improved the look of my models tremendously.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I get back to the States I have to dig up this Reaper vampire model I painted for a competition at my old store. I went as overboard as I possibly could with ridiculous blends, NMM, excessive color changes, the whole nine yards. It ended up being so much better than the other entries, despite how intentionally overwrought I made it, that I really felt bad because it looked like I was taunting these other guys that submitted.

My friend, unfortunately the one who died recently, even made a joke about it when I was home on leave about how he was really feeling happy with his paint job and thought he might have a chance and then he got to the store and saw mine sitting in the cabinet and just pulled a :smith:.

I'm gonna miss that kid.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Chance II posted:

These guys are pretty cool, and would be much preferable to the minion tokens my group uses currently. Good job!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

When I get back to the States I have to dig up this Reaper vampire model I painted for a competition at my old store. I went as overboard as I possibly could with ridiculous blends, NMM, excessive color changes, the whole nine yards. It ended up being so much better than the other entries, despite how intentionally overwrought I made it, that I really felt bad because it looked like I was taunting these other guys that submitted.

My friend, unfortunately the one who died recently, even made a joke about it when I was home on leave about how he was really feeling happy with his paint job and thought he might have a chance and then he got to the store and saw mine sitting in the cabinet and just pulled a :smith:.

I'm gonna miss that kid.

Nice going. You killed that kid. You crushed his dreams and killed him.

I was browsing Google Image Search for some inspiration for conversion ideas and came across this beauty when I decided to search for tyranids with gold paint.

drat that's tempting. Especially those fexes or trygons or whatever the big ones are.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The tyrant guard are twarriros with crisis suit legs and ...what's that white thing for their head?

Also the random 2nd ed sculpt necrons among the warriors are funny.

(and irritating. They're where this whole bullshit routine started! drat YOU TEST SCULPT SPECIAL RULES IN WHITE DWARF!)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The tyrant guard are twarriros with crisis suit legs and ...what's that white thing for their head?

(and irritating. They're where this whole bullshit routine started! drat YOU TEST SCULPT SPECIAL RULES IN WHITE DWARF!)

It's a nid warrior body with some tau or necron bit as the face, maybe a scarab body?

Found the guy's project blog:
http://musingsofametalmind.blogspot.com/search/label/Tyracrons

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

From the guy's blog it looks like the white heads are scarabs with upside-down hormagaunt tails attacked to the backs.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I think I figured out something I was doing wrong. Switched out the background, went outside to shoot, and adjusted my white balance:

Still gotta finish the base and fix that bird's :pwn:, but it shows the gold better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Found the guy's project blog:
http://musingsofametalmind.blogspot.com/search/label/Tyracrons

I really don't know what to make Steampunk Tyranids. The surprise Star Wars entry is also quite baffling.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I really like his stuff, but the products of a disordered mind thing is pretty grim. The cards, and the opinions and the...drivel.

Ugh.

Still, the execution of the models is pretty cool.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SRM posted:

:siren:MasterSlowPoke:siren: has Catachans from Mars, and they're kinda close to what you're talking about.

PS: MSP, post your rad Catachans, tia

Better late than never:

I also have a disproportionate amount of Discount Bees art of my army:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want cool Discount Bees art of my armies. :smith:

I do love the guy in the Valkyrie, rolling with no helmet, giving no fucks. That whole army owns, MSP.

Pot Keter Black
Sep 29, 2010

Chance II posted:

Last few months I've been playing at wood carving when its sunny outside. I'm pretty terrible at it and I've never been good at painting but I've got a tiny collection of very personalized minis. They are pretty rough and aren't Warhammer but I'm posting them anyway.

My first attempt at carving and painting that didn't end up in the garbage. I use him as a Runepriest/Viking/Generic Dwarf.

I kind of like how this kobold turned out.

Followed by this dragonborn.

Awesome. If you can get your hands on some (I got a huge box for £5), I'd recommend trying out soapstone as a carving material - it's soft enough to be carved by just about anything, but has no grain, and takes detail extremely well.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hell Diver posted:

I do love the guy in the Valkyrie, rolling with no helmet, giving no fucks.

Everyone tells him to put one on, he just can't hear them over the intakes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Warhams for sale on SAmart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399079

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
MSP post your lone ork vs. tank pic from the old oath thread, tia.

• Locked thread