Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats a cool scheme Acidix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I had someone give me that advice, and their explanation was that the gloss protects better, and the matte helps kill the unintended glow of the gloss. His theory was that he manhandles his minis alot and they need more protection.

I don't know if that makes sense, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I believe Les from AwesomePaintjob does it so if he fucks up, he can more easily remove washes and such without ruining the paint.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I believe Les from AwesomePaintjob does it so if he fucks up, he can more easily remove washes and such without ruining the paint.

That makes sense. I guess the gloss varnish is just tougher than the matte varnish for that purpose and for protecting the underlaying paint from oil/aggressive materials?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The wash will run better on a gloss surface as well.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Consider my custom title revenged.

Also I should have some preliminary Ogryn pictures by the end of the night. These older models are a blast to paint. I just need to get a hold of a couple of the newer ones I like (the dude with his ripper gun on his shoulder for example) and I'll have a full compliment that can still fit in a Chimera.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What size rare earth magnets do you recommend? I saw that Thewarstore had some 0.0625" diameter which seem to be out of production. Are those too small/weak? Would the 0.125" be fine?

My main goal is to magnetize the bottom of my nid's feet/other points so I can slap them on their bases.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The Saddest Robot posted:

What size rare earth magnets do you recommend? I saw that Thewarstore had some 0.0625" diameter which seem to be out of production. Are those too small/weak? Would the 0.125" be fine?

My main goal is to magnetize the bottom of my nid's feet/other points so I can slap them on their bases.

I use 1/8"x1/16" for all my magnetizations (marine arms and backpacks, space hulk terminators attaching to bases) and have been very happy.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

The size you need depends on what you're using them for. What models are you magnetising?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why magnetize a model to its base?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess if you want to have a big fancy display base, and then some more low-key/specific sized gaming bases? I usually see that done with insets or pins, but I guess magnets would be a decent way as well.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

.0625 are hard to work with number 1 and are really small. I've only ever magnetized tank sized weapons, but .125 (1/8") are really easy to use and are about the size of a standard space marine shoulder socket. I can't say for certain but they might be a little too big for anything but the larger 'nid feet.

My advice is to get a 1/8th inch drill bit (which you'd need anyway and is cheap) and see how big it is compared to your nid feet, if you think you can drill a guide hole with that bad boy 1/8th inch will be plenty fine for you.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
:nws: http://ttfix.blogspot.com/2011/03/troll-forged-miniatures-new-releases.html :nws:

Who buys this poo poo... seriously.. I dont even...

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Mainly for all the Spacehulk minis I have, though I have some other props/decorations that I'd like to be able to remove from the more decorated bases if they get in the way of actual play.

^^ trolldongs.exe

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The only problem I ran in to magnetizing the bases of my Space Hulk-ers was that the plastic base on some of them is pretty thin and I had to go all the way through to get the magnets to fit flush on some of them. Ones that I went into the feet on were fine, but some I had to center the magnets because of positioning on my bases and then cover up a bit of the hole on the top of the base.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Note that you don't have to use two magnets. If you have a very thin area that is difficult to place a magnet in, you can use a piece of thin metal instead. Depending on what you are doing, you can even use a ferrous rod (like a piece of paperclip).

Magnets also don't have to touch. If you have a very thin base, you could potentially put a stronger magnet in the miniature's foot, put a piece of metal sheet under the base, and have it stick through the plastic inbetween.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
There was a clearance at my local Jo-Anne Fabrics on Sculpey III. The small packages are normally $2.50, now .50. I've never used it before, but wanted to give it a shot, and what better time?

This is my first attempt at trying to build a model from scratch. I figured a Herald of Nurgle would be a good place to start, as all the Nurgle models are metal and expensive as all hell anyway. I'm no professional. I know the horn's too big. I'm just excited to see him come from a little ball of hard-as-poo poo-probably-needs-to-be-softened oven clay into something I can glue on a base and terrorize my friends with.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Acidix posted:

:nws: http://ttfix.blogspot.com/2011/03/troll-forged-miniatures-new-releases.html :nws:

Who buys this poo poo... seriously.. I dont even...

Well you see here at Trollforged Miniatures we strive to create the finest, most realistic troll genitalia to satisfy our customers' demands. :dong:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Got another question. Has anyone here done any wet sanding or buffing on acrylic? Would a matte or gloss varnish be tough enough or would it scour the paint away?

I've tried searching with little success. I thought I'd have some luck with some of the gundam/mech modelers but I think they primarily use enamal and lacquer paints so I dunno how applicable their experience would be.

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 25, 2011

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You can use lacquer based sealants on top of acrylic, so you might be able to try that I guess.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So I am having an :butt: of a time finding a good prefferably retractable hobby knife. Are there any recomendations?

To be honest now that I think about it I dont know what the big use of them is besides scraping things or cutting up modeling epoxy. Still it pays to have a good solid blade that wont come unscrewed when I cut with it

E: Whats paitnign on metal like anyways? Being a ork player I doupt I will get any metal models soon enough but I want to know what its like beforehand. Any diffrent from plastic?

Milkbags fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 25, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

e: wrong thread.

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 25, 2011

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bhsman posted:

Well you see here at Trollforged Miniatures we strive to create the finest, most realistic troll genitalia to satisfy our customers' demands. :dong:

cut 'em off and stick them on some noise marines, count-as extra close combat weapon

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

handbanana125 posted:

cut 'em off and stick them on some noise marines, count-as extra close combat weapon

No, put them on a trophy rack.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm in the process of building a zombie giant (unit filler)/counts as varghulf.
As soon as it's painting I'm putting together two bases, so I can run two varghulfs without having two identical models on the table, or conversely, add 10 zombies to a horde.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really meant to get more work done on my Ogryn tonight, but instead I got hung up on painting the Inquisitor.

Here's a sneak peek of his book! :eng101:

More than any thing I just want to concede that S7's are amazing for keeping a sharp point. (It let me be able to paint that little Bloodletter face) Every other sable brush I've used has split or gone wonky within a few hours of work, but these are amazing. Where have they been all my life?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Boom, spending :10bux: a brush for the rest of your life, GOTCHA BITCH

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

Hell Diver posted:

I really meant to get more work done on my Ogryn tonight, but instead I got hung up on painting the Inquisitor.

Here's a sneak peek of his book! :eng101:

Way to make me feel absolutely terrible about my inquisitor :argh:

Yours looks amazing by the way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

Change the thread title to this tia

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Change the thread title to this tia

Wish I had that sort of authority.

Awesome book freehand Helldiver, glad the brushes worked out

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

I laughed way harder than I should

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Wish I had that sort of authority.

At least you've got a title for the next version of this thread.

Finished my oath up tonight, have some crappy phone pictures because my roommate's hidden the good camera somewhere stupid.

Playing around with dry pigments a bit, I need to find a decent fixative that doesn't destroy the effect. Maybe dropping cash on Mig stuff is worth it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I could use some feedback on this lifta droppa concept. It's sort of a full-arm railgun looking dealie, insted of a half-arm megaman gun type thing like i'd been planning.

Mek Stompa WIPs

I would need to add wires and worky bits to the inside, and then I think I would cover it back up with some more of those red beams.

Is this a bad avenue to pursue, or should I try for something looking more like the half-life gravity gun (or the traditional giant magnet)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What's a good way to set up a bunch of 15mm minis so that I can prime and then batch paint them in a big group before basing? With the 28mm stuff I'd just base them first but tiny guys on multi-fig stands...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Oldest Man posted:

What's a good way to set up a bunch of 15mm minis so that I can prime and then batch paint them in a big group before basing? With the 28mm stuff I'd just base them first but tiny guys on multi-fig stands...

+

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ah ha.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I just found my Series 7 #1 round the other day, but the point is long gone. So I went to Sam Flax and got a brand new #2. You bastards.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

e: Let's just pretend that I wrote a whole lot of puns about paintbrushes here and that there wasn't a one of them that was actually funny and I'm really hoping I edited this fast enough, OK? Thanks.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 25, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
drat, just missed a batch of bad puns!

You are too quick fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Howdyho, still painting stuff for my blood bowl teams