Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

crime fighting hog posted:

I may start doing it that way. Templars are supposed to have them gray but it's so boring to look at. I'm thinking of doing them bone washed with sepia because it's my favorite color to paint models in (I secretly wanted to do Deathwing all this time!)

Basically like this guy's shoulder, but for the chest eagles. I really need to finish this one.

None of those look awful. v:shobon:v

I say let them be unless you really hate the look of them. That or just systematically work through a squad at a time, cleaning up and re-painting bits as you go.

Also, I might be able to post a little tutorial for aquila if you're interested. I've got some AoBR models primed up and close at hand.

Edit: Wet overbrushing? I'm actually mostly ignorant to the names of painting techniques and just do whatever looks good/works for me. To be honest most of my painting practices would cause most painting snobs cry. poo poo, I only really use white nylon brushes because they're cheap and I don't feel bad about ruining them. :c00lbert:

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Hell Diver posted:

Also, I might be able to post a little tutorial for aquila if you're interested. I've got some AoBR models primed up and close at hand.

I'm down. Thanks

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I'm down. Thanks

I'll post some pics tomorrow then. :science:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Can someone post a tutorial on painting a good wood effect? treemarines

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

You, yes YOU! You are DEAD!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Hell Diver posted:

Edit: Wet overbrushing? I'm actually mostly ignorant to the names of painting techniques and just do whatever looks good/works for me. To be honest most of my painting practices would cause most painting snobs cry. poo poo, I only really use white nylon brushes because they're cheap and I don't feel bad about ruining them. :c00lbert:

I think overbrushing is like drybrushing, just with more paint on the brush.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Its just using a brush loaded with paint, dragging it sideways across the raised areas.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

Its just using a brush loaded with paint, dragging it sideways across the raised areas.

Yeah, I just don't know the technical terms. I just call it dragging the brush sideways over the raised areas, because I'm cool like that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

2 words > 8 words

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

2 words > 8 words

Maybe where you come from cowboy, this here's the loquacious part a'town. :clint:

EDIT: I really dig the highlighting on the black they did here but I'm having trouble settling exactly what colors they used. Shadow grey and a turquoise? You have any insight PV?

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 22, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I dunno, its def got a turq color in it, but its probably mixed with white.

That highlighting wont work unless you keep the lines super, super skinny

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

You, yes YOU! You are DEAD!

Haha, whenever I see him I think "WHATCHA GONNA DO, XENOOOOOOOOOOOS!?"

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Here's some of what I just did for the first time after about 6 months of a break

Please tell me what I can do better :ohdear:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Personally I think it looks pretty good. :shobon:

That said I'm just the peanut gallery in this circus tent.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Personally I think it looks pretty good. :shobon:

That said I'm just the peanut gallery in this circus tent.

No, I'd be happy with something that looked like that too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's pretty. The paint seems a little thick but that's probably just the ultramacro photo.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
If you're looking at the top, it is but thats because of the glue. For some reason I couldnt get it to go together without excessive amounts of the glue, and I realized I missed sanding it off halway through the basecoat.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Hell Diver posted:

Maybe where you come from cowboy, this here's the loquacious part a'town. :clint:

EDIT: I really dig the highlighting on the black they did here but I'm having trouble settling exactly what colors they used. Shadow grey and a turquoise? You have any insight PV?

Apparently it's this:

Armour:
Base 1:1 Regal Blue/Chaos Black
Highlight with that plus Fortress Grey
Highlight with Fortress Grey
Highlight with 1:1 Fortress Grey/Skull White

Gun casings:
Base 1:1 Chaos Black/Codex Grey
Highlight Codex Grey
Highlight Codex Grey + Bleached Bone
Highlight Bleached Bone

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I cant see how those formulas are right, there is almost no blue in any of those greys and the lines in that photo have a lot of blue in em.

Then again, it could just be hosed up photography

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Haha, whenever I see him I think "WHATCHA GONNA DO, XENOOOOOOOOOOOS!?"

Actually I was referencing the Heavy from TF2. (be sure to turn off annotations on this one or your browser may die, but it's the only video with just that line in it I could find)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG05BJeBXQY

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I cant see how those formulas are right, there is almost no blue in any of those greys and the lines in that photo have a lot of blue in em.

Then again, it could just be hosed up photography

They simplify/lie about the formulas all the time. You could always highlight with that formula then wash with a blue or green wash.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That would drop the value a lot. Id mix a touch of hawk turq into the greys, if I wanted to get that effect

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

That would drop the value a lot. Id mix a touch of hawk turq into the greys, if I wanted to get that effect

Really? I don't know what the blue and green washes are like but the red and sepia are pretty friendly for tinting.

Hawk Turq does own though- it's one of the few GW pots I own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

!amicable posted:

Also officially the most delicious looking paint.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Some ~*LaDiEZ*~

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I love pretty much all the Daemon models that are out there. Those daemonettes(sp?) are pretty unique and look fantastic.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

!amicable posted:

Really? I don't know what the blue and green washes are like but the red and sepia are pretty friendly for tinting.

Yeah, you can tint with washes, but it still takes the value down a few notches darker

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Awright, I'm gonna prime the marine I'm going to be working on right now. I figure I'll do a few tutorials of my styles on things, namely skin, aquilas and maybe Space marine armor or something.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hell Diver posted:

Awright, I'm gonna prime the marine I'm going to be working on right now. I figure I'll do a few tutorials of my styles on things, namely skin, aquilas and maybe Space marine armor or something.

If you show how to highlight black in a way I can finally do it I'll build a church in your name or something

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

If you show how to highlight black in a way I can finally do it I'll build a church in your name or something

I'm going to give it a try. I was wanting to paint a Black Templar. . .

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hell Diver posted:

I'm going to give it a try. I was wanting to paint a Black Templar. . .

Templars own and are actually really colorful if you tack on lots of bling which the upgrade sprues are loaded with.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Highlighting black, for me, consists of lots of swearing and the following formula:

1:1 Chardon Granite/Chaos Black
Highlight Chardon Granite
Edge highlight Adeptus Battlegrey

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Charadon is pretty rad, because its def got more warmth than the other greys

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I've seen guides that just say to highlight the areas the light hits but I always just do all the sharp edges regardless of where they are and then the top of things like kneepads for power armor

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

that weird white dusting on the models is snow flock, didnt blow it all off apparently

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Trip Report:

The figure's looks pretty good so far but for some reason the lighting on all of my pictures is so blown out you can't really tell what's what. :qq:

poo poo. I'll post the final product at least. Trying the turquoise highlight and it looks neat but I'd need to see it on the whole model to really decide.

Looks like I'm going to have to finally cave and build a fancy lightbox.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Hell Diver posted:

Looks like I'm going to have to finally cave and build a fancy lightbox.

Your poo poo deserves it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Shading large, flat areas: is it worth trying to do with a wash? Even after taking up the pooling paint, it looks uneven and streaky. Am I better off just painting the shadows in without thinning the paint to a wash?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anyone bought the MaxMini Bioswords yet? I was planning to make my own Boneswords but they look pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't experience with those, but you should know that Chapterhouse Studios is about to go into production of their own bioblades - honestly both versions look good, just wanted you to know about the choices!

• Locked thread