Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

smokmnky posted:

Hey guys, cross posting from the Warmachine thread. I had a friend give me his assembled but unpainted Khador Battle Box and a squad of Widwomakers so now I'm looking for some help. I've never painted mini's before and a little nervous to start.

Arlaharen was kind enough to point me to some basic newbie posts on brushthralls which are pretty awesome. I had a couple other questions and I figured I'd move over here instead of using the Warmachine thread.

Does anyone have any experience with the Khador army paint set that PP puts out? I saw it over the weekend at my local shop but wasn't ready to paint yet. I think I'm just going to keep it easy and go with the basic theme rather than try to get fancy.

Current list to paint is
  • Sorscha
  • Juggernaut
  • Destroyer
  • Widowmakers
  • Widowmaker Commander

What up, just starting to paint little dudes bro? :hf:

I have also been captivated by the siren call of how cool these things look and am getting started putting pretty colours on little mans. You and me man, we can be brave in the paint thread together!

Someone in there posted a link to this site which I found helpful. If you go sign up for an account at https://www.miniwargaming.com they will send you a .pdf on introductory painting which I also liked. It's free! I also spent an unreasonable amount of time reading the painting thread. There are lots of nuggets of wisdom scattered through there that I already figure I can make use of.

Gay Polymers posted:

Don't be nervous about painting. If you gently caress up, you just paint over it, or dip your model in Simple Green if it's really bad and start over. :)

I am already developing uncanny skill at justifying why some stray colour from my hand spazzing out is not a mistake, but is in fact a subtle and finely painted detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok so here's a question: For anyone who has ordered stuff from miniwargaming.com, do they usually include a package of Mike & Ike's in with your stuff?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dominion posted:

I ordered from them several times maybe a year or two ago, and there was always candy, though not always Mike & Ike's.

Well goddamn, they need to advertise this kind of thing. That's added value right there.

I was just picturing some guy in there warehouse walking around wondering where the gently caress his Mike & Ike's were - "C'mon you guys I was looking forward to those" - so I guess it's good to know this is a usual thing.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Soooo after reading through this entire thread, here are (almost) the first miniatures I have ever painted.

I went with Lizardmen because dinosaurs who ride other dinosaurs into battle are pretty rad, although as you can see I didn't like the 'Lizardmen are blue' thing very much. They're not dullcoated yet in case last minute remedies are possible!

Skink priest

Skink chieftain #1

Skink chieftain #2

Group shot

I think my poison arrow frog colour scheme was probably too advanced for my current level of ability and the garage sales these guys are wearing around their necks made things kind of difficult as well. Overall I think I was a bit over ambitious with these guys but I learned a lot painting them.

Now, *these* are the very first minis I painted. They are the GW Warhammer starter kit, painted slavishly following the directions. Almost.

e: Images fixed a bit.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 9, 2011

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Real hurthling! posted:

Pick 6 colors and paint as much of every model in your army with those six colors as possible.

Use washes to create definition between areas and bring in a few highlight colors to make important bits pop out.

going all skittles on every model is going to take forever and look funny.

I don't think I'm going to put together a Lizardmen army but yeah, skittles is a good way to describe these dudes. They just have so many details that I wanted to do something with and probably went overboard on.

Hopefully I can get the next bunch looking a little less ridiculously put together.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
poo poo dude for what it's worth I think that's looking pretty good. The bronze/brass look is good for smokestacks and so on that are unlikely to have a gleaming finish anyways.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fyrbrand posted:

"Yes, yes, I am shooting guys in two directions at once again. This wouldn't be necessary if the rest of you troopers applied yourselves for once, but don't worry, it's what I've come to expect."

(Seriously, the models look fantastic. Just something about eCaine's worldweary expression there...)

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

crime fighting hog posted:

You've been painting for two months any you're already better than me. I've been painting for 5 years now, and I still can't highlight worth balls.

God damnit

Did you ever make the top hat for Terminus though? When I was reading through the thread I was looking forward to seeing that.

e: Hell yeah.
vvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 14, 2011

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

GenericOverusedName posted:

I just binged through this whole thread in two days to gaze in awe at the pretty pictures. I've never even played a game with miniatures, and now I want to paint a billion of them. :psyduck:

This is how they got me too.

Now I am gamely trying to persuade my spazzy hands to put paint on tiny men.

Glorious.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok this primer discussion is making me worry slightly. I don't have anywhere I can really spray stuff on, so I have been using the Vallejo primer which does say you can brush it on. Aside from taking a while, is there a downside to this that I've been missing?

I haven't painted anything I'm deeply attached to yet but I would like to know if the paint is suddenly going to fly off my little dudes or something.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dominion posted:

No, but I think brush-on primer requires you to be more careful than, say, gesso, which is a little more forgiving.

Yeah I am finding I have to go nice and easy so I don't end up with bubbles, and at least two coats seem to be required. On the other hand I can get the primer at a store 5 minutes from where I live and the nearest art shop is a ways away. I guess I should give gesso a shot at some point so I can compare though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Brushed on primer that isn't gesso will never be especially smooth, and it may not hold as well as something sprayed on. If you have to brush, I'd say get some gesso, it's horrible but it will give a smooth finish.

Either way, if you're worried about chipping put down a coat of (brushed on) matt on plastics and gloss then matt on metal.

When you say "horrible", do you mean it's hard to work with or difficult to clean up or what am I getting in for, here?

I have had some chipping issues but I imagine they would get better if I would stop dropping the minis. Spaz hands :argh:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I only used it on half a dozen infantry models but I remember it being as tedious as glopping on a super thick paint sounds, wrecking the brush I was using, and having it not cover some raised tips and recessed details.

Still better than using a normal brush on primer, but I'd choose to airbrush every time.

Thanks. I suppose I should try some gesso and see if I can deal with it and how it compares to the primer I'm using now. There is no airbrush in the forseeable future, alas.

e: I am not ashamed to say that those are some sexy orks.
vvvvvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 18, 2011

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Second batch of 'learning what the gently caress' minis completed - some Wood Elves. I had thought of trying an autumn colour scheme but since I need to start painting my Circle guys decided I should get practice with greens and browns.

I had some unexpected results with the washes but I think they're less Skittle-y than the previous guys I painted.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Flipswitch posted:

Dude that looks awesome, especially the legs.

I did my first attempt at highlighting on the wood elves and it was pretty ughhh, you're miles ahead of me.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Stuff like PV's made me excited to try this hobby but now also makes me want to quit.

Goddamn paradox in here.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I love everything about that stegadon.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Crossposting some Hordes warlocks I (finally) got done with.

This one was kind of a nightmare and I might strip it. Educational painting experience though.

Much happier with how the other one ended up, freaked out eyebrow notwithstanding.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Really dig that jack, man. The rust/weathering looks wicked.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

thespaceinvader posted:

Play D&D with me plz.

On a more on-topic note; does anyone know where I can get a non-dorky-looking crossbowman miniature?

Preferably this dude - but he seems to have been out of production for about 10 years. Otherwise, I'm tempted to try a Reeve of Orboros (preferably the kneeling one, unless PP is likely to release new minis for them any time soon, cos the old ones are a little odd), or making some form of conversion of this guy - but I'm not sure quite how I'd make the rifle into a crossbow. Maybe also this guy, but the shield and sword really don't fit the character, and it's Rackham, so it's similarly out of production for aaaages.

Any thoughts on cool crossbow minis?

Well there is also the Reeves chieftain who is a neat model if you like wolf pelts. There's also the Reeve Hunter solo but he has a great big fuckoff sword.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Crosspost - first based model.

Aside from the face (unibrow ahoy) I'm pretty happy with how this came out. Not fantastic but I don't want to bury it in the yard either.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Does anyone have any experience (good experience!) with Vallejo metallics?

Because I kind of hate them. The website specifically says not to thin them (but does say to thin their other paints) but they don't go on smoothly or cover smoothly either. Basically I am currently doing one pass and getting horrible blotchy coverage and then coming back and trying to painstakingly fill in all the uncovered bits.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Groovy, thanks, I will give that whirl. I have been trying to use Vallejo stuff mostly because it's easily available at my local hobby store but maybe I will look elsewhere for metallics in the end.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Eyespy posted:

I'm using Vallejo metalics pretty much exclusively for my Warmachine models and I'm loving them, particularly the brass variants. They do need a little watering down (particularly their gunmetal) or application with a damp brush.

Hmmm, thanks - I'll try watering 'em down a touch and see if that improves things.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I got an eyedropper at the drug store, and I have a separate little thing of water from the brush rinse water.

The problem with the eyedropper is that there's like a minimum amount you can add with it and if you need less you're sort of SOL. Basically it works great if I need a fair amount of paint but if I'm just trying to use a really small amount it's not so good.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
This is the kind of good thinking that I am apparently incapable of. Cheers.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
^^^^^^^
e: Those are some sexy Trolls.

Refind Chaos posted:

What is a good paint on primer? With cold weather coming I think my spray on primers are going to be much less viable....hell today the temp was in the upper 50F's and already my spray on primer is getting pretty powdery.

I use Vallejo's brush on primer which seems to work. They make it in black, white and grey. I usually do at least a couple coats + 1 "holy poo poo how did I miss that spot" coat. Fortunately it dries very fast. Obviously slower than spraying but I don't have anywhere to spray!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
No army shot, but my Warpwolf Stalker is approaching completion.

The pose is screwy because I had a helluva time assembling it, but to me it looks sort of like he's about to dish out a massive backhander with his sword so I don't mind it too much.

Overall I look at it one minute and think it looks rad and then look at it again and want to chuck it in the canal. This would be why I haven't sealed it yet or done the basing.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Refind Chaos posted:

What is a good paint on primer, and a good ratio for said primer (I prefer white primer)? I use Vallejo paints for all my painting so far, and plan on getting some of the W&N 7 series brushes. I haven't seen a solid endorsement for any particular brand of paint on primers though. I will be buying from my FLGS, and they carry PP, GW, and Vallejo so please stick within those brands.

I can't say how it compares to other products but I use Vallejo's brush on primer, and it works fine. It is already pretty thin so I just use as-is, and usually do two coats.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Anyone got a good technique for red hair?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Macharius Solar orange, wash it with devlan mud. Done.

Well poo poo, that was easy. Cheers dude.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Shallow posted:

I don't know what you call that thing but it is a cool thing

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Those are some awesome looking Trolls.

I especially like the hood on 'guy carrying scrolls'. Really looks like fabric.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

stabbington posted:

Reaper scorched metal, vallejo verdegris glaze + a drop of P3 turquoise ink, highlight with a bronze, and you get something that looks like the metal here:

This is a really awesome looking model, verdegris or no verdegris, so I hope you won't take it bad when I say that this is exactly what I did not need to see as I begin painting my Gorax.

I mean, drat.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Finally found time to paint again, knocked out 3 more dreadfleet ships, check it out!

http://awfulpaintjob.tumblr.com/

Nothing useful to say, but those are the ship. :v:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Holy socks.

I'm just leaving all the faces on my models blank from now on because holy poo poo.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So here's some stuff I've been working on.

Gorax:

Not at all sure about how the Circle armour came out on this guy.

Lord of the Feast:

Sorry about the skulls. I always mix up too much greenstuff so I'm trying to do things that amuse me with it.

Wayfarer:

Test Tharn:

The Tharn is in particular a test of the skin tone - they're supposed to be tribal hunter/heart-eating cannibals so I wanted something that looked like she's actually spent some time in the sun. Not sure how successful that is. Thanks to crime fighting hog for the red hair tips, still tinkering with that.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You should invest in some Devlan Mud, it would make all of these look better. Especially the Tharn, since brown is a good wash for all those clolors (red, orange, skintone, etc). It'll also make the wayfarer look boss, it'll even look decent on the green cloak.

Your concept for the stone weapons is good but you need to make it less stark. I'd recommend doing a dark grey base followed by some drybrushes and topped with the cracks in pure white.

As a circle player a couple pots of Devlan Mud and Badab Black will get you very far. I paint both historicals and fantasy (wood elves in this case) that use the same color pallets and I those things will make your stuff look much better.

If you want to paint a lot of gold several coats of Gryphone Sepia over mithril or boltgun will produce really vibrant looking gold. It would also be good if you were to use it on, say, the eyes on the gorax, but light coats of Devlan can also shade yellow.

Groovy, thanks. There is actually wash on all of those save the Gorax but obviously I need to be more liberal in applying it.

e: I should have also said that at least I'm pleased you could tell the weapons were supposed to be stone. That's gotta be progress, right there.

Also, drat man.
vvvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 21, 2011

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know what I've been doing lately when I photograph models?

Bathtub. It's white, clean, has a sloped corner to eliminate the horizon shadow, and all you have to do is just light the room. I put the models on a white thing to hold them off the surface, insert myself out of direct line with the lights, and boom.

It's not perfect, and I need more light so my photos aren't so grainy, but the theory is sound and my photos have improved drastically for it.

poo poo man, that's genius.

Going to have to try this when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Ashcans posted:

My bathtub is filled with cats, should I try and get them out or just put the miniatures on top of them?

Stat 'em up, use them as monstrous infantry.

• Locked thread