Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
pv you should do a desert scheme like these guys.

http://coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/Corvus%20Belli/id/196181
http://coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/Corvus%20Belli/id/196177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
I've been painting Chan Lee from Hell Dorado and I'm pretty happy with how I've gotten his flesh, but I'm having real trouble with the red pants. I need some pointers on making the red really pop. Here's a w.i.p shot:

Nothing really finished yet, so if you have some advice on the flesh as well I'd like to hear it :)

Also here's a size comparison for fun

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

moths posted:

Red is a complete pain to highlight. I've had luck building it up to pink and then red inking over.

!amicable posted:

Dude, that is loving sexy.

My trick for red is to shade to purple and edge highlight yellow sparingly.

I dunno. Push the darks a bit, I might not edge highlight cloth like that.

Thanks guys, I'll give these a try.

And I was considering painting the belt yellow, but that's probably just as hard to paint. If I can't get the red working I might still give it a try.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Feeple posted:

Anyone know of a web retailer who can sell me some Hell Dorado models? All I can find is poo poo in French, and I went to Japanese class instead at school.

I seriosuly need to get my hands on some of those bad rear end motherfuckers.

EDIT: WHO WANTS SOME BOOOOOOOOBS?!
https://cipher-studios.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=419&zenid=28ba88ed8cbc7076f723cec8189fe144

I picked up all my Hell Dorado minis from http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ I've made about 8 different orders with them and never had any trouble. Make sure you order Kartikeya if you get any, I just got him the other day and he is one of the best models I've ever seen.

edit: here's another store selling em, never purchased through these guys though http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=277

Also those smog 1888 minis are hot as hell, are they resin?

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 13, 2010

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

:drat: I wish I could paint like that

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

This is probably the best painted mini I've see. Got any info on the painter and the model?

The model is Ar-Fienel from Studio McVey, it comes out this friday. I'm not sure who painted it but I'm pretty certain it was either Ali or Mike McVey.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Have any of you guys tried painting 54mm stuff? Is it easier or harder? I want to give it a try but then I see something like like this and get super intimidated

I mean look at that tattoo, thats super cool

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Ah hell, you're right. Even if it ends up looking like poo poo I'll learn a lot and I've got no motivation at the moment to paint another box of identical dudes. I think I'll give this guy a shot. Being white metal means I can strip him no problems right?

I'll even make a project of it and post wip shots in here bugging you guys for help :3:

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Tony Stark was able to build this IN A CAVE! With a BOX OF SCRAPS!!

New sculpts from knights models.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Tried my first crack at wet blending, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I saw videos of it done and it seems I'm either not using enough mixture on the paint or I'm gloping the mix on too much. How watery should the paint be when I use it? What kind of brush works best? What kind of motions do I make to mix it, horizontal or vertical? I NEED ANSWERS DAMNIT

hey, this isn't wet blending but here's a blending tutorial that I've found really helpful, and here is another where he puts it to use.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Bachtere posted:

Thanks to the holiday, I've finally taken pictures of all my Reaper figs. These were all painted between seven years ago and now.

When I get around to it, I'll take pictures of the good looking half of my O&G army. Ice Blue/Purple color scheme.

Picture avalanche ahead.

-snip-

How long have you been painting? I really like your stuff. Not a fan of most of those sculpts, Reaper figs don't really appeal to me. Still like what you've done with them though.

Edit: Woah, Yannick Hennebo delivers the loving goods

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 1, 2010

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Well you're really good, can't wait to see your orcs and goblins :)

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Tentacle Party, I recently bought these brushes and I'm really happy with them, and for $25au for two size 1s, two 0s and shipping the price is pretty great.

You can get series 7s in australia from here but it would probably be cheaper to go with pv if you plan on doing a big order.

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 2, 2010

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Since I finally got around to uploading the photos from my camera I thought I'd post up a review of the first 54mm miniature I bought.

The model is Pegaso's XII-XIII Century Holy Land Knight. It's sculpted by Gianni La Rocca, is white metal and comes in 12 pieces. It cost me $50 australian and imo it's worth every cent.

It comes in a neat little hardcover box like so:

When you open the box everything is nice and secure in foam padding, when I took the photo I left out the little fiddly bits and the sheet of paper you get giving you the Knights history, as well as different ways in which to paint him. Whoops

When assembling the model the thing I was most impressed with was the ease in which he fit together, there was minimal gap filling or filing needed. I pinned him in all of the joints but even when just dry fitting the parts would stick together due to how well the sockets fit. There were also very minimal mold lines, so for those of you that hate preparing models that's a big plus :)

Here he is mostly assembled standing next to a chaos terminator. The base comes with the miniature

All in all it's a really nice model and if all Pegaso miniatures are as high a quality I would recommend them to anyone interested in giving 54mm or above a shot. I was impressed enough that I ordered this guy to have a stab at once I finish the knight.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Phildo posted:

That's one hell of an anus.

Hey Bullet Proof did you get knight from the Pegaso website, or did you buy it locally? I'd love to get some of their stuff, but I am afraid of the cost to send that much metal down here :(

I bought it from here. Andrea and Romeo also have some really nice sculpts that you should check out if you like Pegaso's stuff.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Is it bad that I know who produces every single one of those models? If I was going to use one as a daemon prince I'd use astaroth by Andrea or the JAG demon.

edit: enigma also has some models that would work well for daemon stand ins

and just because I really like the sculpt

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 4, 2010

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
haha those are the two models that got me interested in enigma in the first place, the old death is just so awesome. and yea pegaso's stuff is great, their gehenna line is probably my favourite line of miniatures, they're really cool and very weird.

this is prob my favourite bust

so so awesome

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
todays top of page support theme is pirates!

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
:woop:

Yannick Hennebo's work for the McVey's is seriously loving awesome

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Aranan posted:

Has anyone tried "juicing" as a painting method as described in this article? I'm pretty sure someone linked to it early in in this thread's life, but I can't find the page it's on. Anyway, it sounds pretty interesting. It's kind of like layering, but instead of putting down successive layers of shading and highlights, you're putting down successive layers of the same color, but just doing it in steps with the color super thinned. So maybe one pass of Ice Blue on the highlight areas, then another pass on just the edges to make it stand out a little more.

I've given it a couple tries and I really like the results but the only time I'd use it was for painting display models, I find it much too slow for batch models. Also I prefer this article by Seb for juicing as you can see him actually applying it.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Studio McVey's Lt. Kara Black, she's about 35mm tho

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
An absolutely awesome way to make snow that I've seen done is to use Jo Sonja's Texture paste, and to just paint the paste on until you get a consistency you like.

These bases were done using it:

Click here for the full 800x1996 image.

Click here for the full 500x1432 image.

or if you're especially crazy you could try using the crushed lightbulb method

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
uhh yea, that last part of my post was a joke, i nearly choked on my drink when i saw that article. i really wasnt advocating that people play with crushed lightbulbs

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
has anyone had any experience with knight models? they've just released a daredevil sculpt that owns majorly but i dont want to drop serious cash on it without knowing what their quality control and customer service is like.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
haha i know, i saw it linked on another forum and was all set to buy it until i saw the price. also i'd really like to see what you could do with a sculpt like that, your space wolves are great and it'd be cool to see a big display piece by you

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
those look tip top pv. once you're all done with the commissions are you going to start working on your own stuff more? i want to see some non gw stuff from you

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
GW do make some neat models but painting huge armies instead of kewl display pieces or little skirmish teams is lame

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
god drat

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Hey fellas, you should check out this guys website. He's an indie sculptor from Australia and his stuff owns bones.

And he's also doing this -

sprue posted:

Wargamers,

I'm as surprised as all of you about what's been going on in the UK and over the past few days I've been glued to the computer waiting to see if the rumors were true. To be honest I'm still a bit shocked, and I see a lot of people saying they've given up and they're going to move on.

Three weeks ago I started a project of my own. I haven't played 40k in years. I can't justify the cost and I don't have a lot of free time due to work, but I can make my own miniatures.

I was going to release the details about this miniature after I had completed it and had a few casts to show you but with events in the hobby world being the way they are I thought you'd want to hear about it now before you ebay your stuff or pick up a copy of WoW

This is a completely poseable multi part miniature. You can create almost anything with it so with one figure almost all your bases are covered, but the real deal is that it comes with a user license. The license allows you to cast it and make copies of the parts for personal use only. So you can build it, mould it, and cast it, then disassemble it and do it again. Really, you can create an entire army with one figure, some resin and some silicone.

If this seems like a daunting task don't worry, there are plenty of tutorials on the net and I'll be making my own, but if you don't have the space or you just want to put paint on your minis and get them on the table, you'll be able to get squads of pre-assembled metal versions from your LGS.

When this project is done, other races will follow. It's not about making a lot of money, it's about making a hobby you can have fun with and afford.

So in conclusion he's a rad dude with awesome sculpts and you should support him.

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 17, 2011

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Wazzu posted:

http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=1916

Auscon was held in Brisbane, Australia at the start of last month and here are all the reasonable best entries into the painting competition. Mysteriously they don't actually say what won what, but here are the top 4 (only three gold awards were given out of the huge pool):

This swanky little infinity squad won gold

Won gold, painted by the same guy as the next one.

Won gold and best in show, he won a trip to the crystal brush competition.

The Pan O squad was by Simon Hooker and the bottom two are by Seb Archer, who is pretty much my favourite miniature painter ever.

Here's a better picture of his Al Vianna

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Confrontation is back!

Hoping they don't stay limited release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

After failing at Google and a quick scan of this thread, I have to ask...What is the gaming system that is an alternate WW2 world that has the coal-scuttle helmet with the mech-tentacles coming out of it?

(Or alternately, any good series of minis that fit the Weird World War 2 aesthetic)

Are you thinking of this guy?

If so, it's from Mauser Earth which is, I think, a line of miniatures without any game rules attached to them.

• Locked thread