Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
How'd you do the metallic green? I've been eyeballing the colored metallics at the craft store to do something like this, and would love some tips (unless thats some awesome advanced technique, in which case - tips as well!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Cross-posting from the oath thread:

Any ideas for how to make the talons pop a bit more? I did an edge highlight with Enchanted blue but it's very close to the foundation blue beneath and doesn't show too well. Other comments welcome too!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Cool! Glad you liked it.

The process:
-Prime white
-Wash the entire model asurmen blue (in hindsight you could probably avoid washing the carapace and other flat parts)

Skin:
-Bleached bone
-Drybrush with FolkArt 'tapioca' (cheap hobby store acrylic)

Carapace:
-FolkArt 'midnight' = GW Regal blue?
Edge with:
-Mordian blue foundation
Thin streaks of:
-Enchanted blue
-FolkArt 'french blue' = GW Ice Blue

Talons:
-Mordian blue foundation
Edge with:
-Enchanted blue (posts above recommend a teal or SW Grey instead, and I think that's a good idea)

Toxin Sacs:
-Snot green
-Goblin Green

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Finally made a lightbox. Still not great, but better.
Oath crosspost:

Also great work Angryboot!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Wondermoose posted:

I was wondering how you guys like to thin your paints. I have a wet palette, and I saw somewhere that you can just stir the paint on the wet palette to thin it. Does this work? Or do I need to use an eye dropper or something.

I use a wet palette and it thins most of my paints for me just fine. It obviously depends on how wet the towel below is though.
When I first started using it I was surprised how thin the paint got. Almost too thin sometimes.

^^^^^ or this. I love my wet palette but just wetting the brush works fine too

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Robot Uprising posted:

While attempting to get all my Orks up to a decent standard for an upcoming doubles tournament. I've tried to spruce up some old Deffcoptas without resorting to fully stripping them; any criticisms? Id love a critical eye to see where I need to improve.

Looks like a good start. I'd add some more of the red/orange to the back end of the kopta to give some contrast back there. The front end and blades look great

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Also shamelessly cross posting from the oath thread

Tervigon

I think I'm having trouble with two types of light bulbs causing that warm hue on the right. Other than that any thoughts?

edit: table breaking

Mt. ORourke fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 8, 2011

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Thanks for the tips! I agree on both counts. I added some grass to the base, but it's still a bit boring.

Shadows behind the neck is a good idea. My attempt at green stuff there (connecting the carnifex carapace to the trygon torso) didn't go as well as I had hoped, and it shows in the painting I think. The good news at least is that it's out of view except from that exact angle, so it's not too obvious

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
I need some advice for my upcoming oath. I used the Color Scheme Designer posted many pages back in this thread (http://colorschemedesigner.com/) but I don't know if the colors work too well or not. I like the teal, and I like the red on the sword, but the orange seems too bright and clashing with the rest of the model.

Any tips for what works/doesn't work before I paint up 10 more of these guys?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Does anyone have any good advice/tutorials for stipling paint to create the weathered armor paint look that PV posted a few pages ago? (here) I tried it on a test model and it's ok, but not great.
Any advice? It's hard for me to imagine which edges/areas would be worn more than others, without just highlighting every edge with metal
Here's my test guy

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Miles O'Brian posted:

This is how I do it;

Awesome thanks!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Just finished my oath from the other thread, but now I'm feeling intimidated to post it :ohdear: The rocks and hair on that troll look awesome man, and those avatar things are ridiculous.

Nevertheless, here is my humble offering:

11 'Ard Boyz and 3 Spore Mines

Group shot:

spores:

some boyz:

and the Nob w/ klaw and bosspole:

The orks represent my internal struggle between two mentalities: (a) wanting to paint to a high standard for models I had fun kitbashing, and (b) who cares-they're troops, no one will notice a botched highlight.

I really like the way they turned out, and if I had another week or two and wasn't completely burnt out on painting them (drat rivets!) I'd touch up a lot of small things and add some more highlights etc.

With that in mind, any thoughts?

Also- this is my first time trying a gray background and it works so great!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Aranan posted:

I think this Thunderhead looks awesome too. I do wish most of the alternate Cygnar schemes weren't just gray with some blue thrown in. But it's hard to do red/white/green without looking like Khador/Menoth/Cryx etc

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

WHFB pics

Looks really good! I'd hit that white hair with a light wash (black?) to give the individual hairs some definition though.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Crossing over with this beastie

1 Trygon

Click for big

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Chance II posted:

Recently started a new job and finally have some time to sit down and practice sculpting. A friend asked me to make a Link and Zelda:

And I've been playing around with a Napoleonic Blood Bowl team.

I need to sand down some rough spots but I think they are looking better. I got a little toaster oven so that I can be baking one mini while I work on another. Plus I don't leave trays of arms and legs in the oven to find at dinner time.

Quoting this for the new page, because the Zelda minis are awesome. They deserve a great paintjob to really pop, but I really like the details so far

edit- what's that over Link's eyes?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Dullcoat question:

Can you spray dullcoat over a mini with metallic paints? I'm painting up some WM troops and want to protect them, but also don't want to ruin the metallics.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Torabi posted:

Can somebody threaten me and say that they will break my legs, if I do not paint up 500-750 points of Guardsmen until the end of December?
That could work.

Join the Oath thread. It's a good motivator (and you can always :toxx: to motivate yourself further). I've painted up way more this year than I would have without it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389669&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
XPost from the Warmahordes thread:

I haven't posted my WM stuff before, but I just finished my first full unit, so what better time than now?

Everything!

Stormblades with electricity

Defender

Lancer + Charger

Lady Jr

I'm tempted to try OSL on the stormblades, but I don't want to just have white/blue painted over the metals. Any tips?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

crime fighting hog posted:

That's a great shade of blue, what color is it?

It's several thin layers of Enchanted Blue on top of Mordian Blue.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

KozmoNaut posted:

Really nicely done.

Personally, I'd probably go for a slightly deeper shading and shinier finish on the blue parts, what with it being armor and stuff, but it looks very nice already. It looks quite matte in the pictures, how is it in real life?

The photo kinda washed out the shading, but they are still matte in real life. I like the idea of looking more like armor, but how would I accomplish this?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
This is probably a really stupid question, but does anyone have any links and/or recipes for painting sand to look like... sand? I'm basing some Skorne and want desert-looking sand.

For some reason I feel like just gluing the sand on there will look like out of place, or not scaled right. Of course I'm probably overthinking this :saddowns:

\/\/\/ Thanks!!

Mt. ORourke fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 8, 2012

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Cross-posting some Skorne

Paingivers:

Cyclops:

And since I don't know if I've posted this one before,

Titan

I got the recipe for the blood splatter from here:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=298

Not totally happy with the blood on the Titan, but oh well.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Hey I've got a question for anyone who's re-based their painted minis with resin bases.

First- What's the best way to get the old base off? I don't want to mangle their feet with clippers, so any tips would be good.

Second- When putting these guys on the new bases, how do I best secure them to the base? the ones I am looking at are certainly not flat, so I don't think glue is the best way. I was thinking putting a touch of greenstuff under their feet to create a good bond

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Cross-posting from the oath thread...

Hexeris

The center symbol is the mark for Hexeris' house :toot:

Speaking of black glosscoat...
Hakaar and Immortals

These also have some freehand, (hopefully) making the bases look like the same stone that the dudes are carved from.
I gave them a glosscoat to make them look like polished obsidian. I still need a bit of practice, but you be the judge

Aptimus Marketh

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Crossposting for your pleasure

Cyclops Shaman and 4 Arcane Tempest Gun Mages:

Gun Mages

Shaman

It kinda got washed out by the sheen from the varnish, but I'm really happy with the patterns I made on his cloak. It was just some random absent-minded brush strokes that just seemed to work. Shame it doesn't show up too well in the pictures.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Crossposting from the Oath thread:

Stormblade Officer:

With bonus lightning

His cloak has some cool freehand that the camera of course put right into the light reflection. Oh well!

Centurion:

My first real attempt at a non-stock paint scheme, I really like it.

Tyrant Standard Bearer:

Swordsmen:

I tried OSL on both the Stormblade guy and the Centurion, but it always ended up looking chalky and/or like obvious drybrushing, not a diffuse glow. So I ditched it and went basic. If anybody has any OSL tips I would really appreciate it.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Does anyone have any good tutorials on sculpting fur? I remember seeing something where you just use scissors to slice into greenstuff and make a bunch of cuts that eventually look good, but I can't find it. Any tips?

PS this is all in prep for converting the Skorne Mammoth into a Wooly Mammoth. I want to see if this is anyway feasible, or just setting myself up for mangling a very expensive model

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Oath Crosspost!

Swordsmen:

Commander:

Also I just figured out that Gimp lets you adjust levels for RGB individually, so these are a lot less red-shifted than the ones I've been posting all year. I'm very happy with the way the pictures look now :toot:

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Luebbi posted:

Just wanted to say these look extremely awesome and very clean and crisp! With some models, I'd feel bad about shooting them off the table. These fall into that category.

Thanks!! The tyrant commander was definitely one of those models that looked bad right until the very end when it all sort of came together and worked somehow.

And of course, now that it's painted it'll get shot first thing when I play it :)

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Molik Karn incoming!

I'm really happy with the result, and the alt color scheme makes me want to redo all my minis.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Tiberion Complete

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Needs more missiles.

The lenses on those Tau dudes are really nice. I like the white helmets too

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Man, those are some tough acts to follow

Mammoth post incoming:

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

The little bit of yellow on the white base, combined with the shadow, make it look like he's riding a rocket powered slate and blasting off to battle :allears:

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

JackMack posted:

Gang, I have recently invested in a Catacomb command Barge and was wondering if any guys could assist with how I go about the Necron Lord given I would like to use him mounted or dismounted. Is it better to put him on the base and the base go onto the barge or pin his foot and use it with holes in a base and the barge ? Or a third option I have not yet thought of?

I put small magnets in his feet, then put 2 magnets on the Barge and on his base. That way he can move from one to the next (or turn it into the Annihilation Barge) without much obvious marking to the models.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Crossposting from the Oath thread:

Hexeris:

Raider:

I reposed the raider to actually be aiming at his target instead of firing from the hip, and I like the final result. Probably more work than it's worth, but oh well.

Also I'm still playing around with how to take really sharp photos. I tried putting a light from the direct front, and that's improved things a bit. I still feel like some things are out of focus or not lit just right. Or maybe I'm not getting the levels right in photoshop. I'll keep playing around, and any tips are always helpful.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.

Luebbi posted:

I like them! I especially like the base texture and painting. Do you have a tutorial handy?

Thanks!
The bases are super easy, mainly because I didn't make them :D The one on Hexeris is from Dragonforge, and the other one is from Forgecraft I think. I just paint it Talarn Flesh, wash Earthshade (brown), then drybrush Flesh again. I think I may have done some bone color very lightly on top of that, but it's to taste.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Does anyone have any tips or tutorials for painting orange/red glowing gems and/or vents? I've been trying with combos of red > light red > orange > yellow(?) but it always looks more fiery and less like a light source. I think I'm mostly struggling with the last highlight, something bright but not pink. I just can't seem to get that color right, and it's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

no prospect of an end.
Here's another oath crosspost:

Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis and a Skorne Titan Cannoneer
The lights on Aurora were the first time that OSL really clicked for me. I think they look pretty good, though it's hard to see in these photos. I then did the titan and tried OSL from the torch (on his hand), which came out pretty good too. Still working on photo quality, but getting better I think.

Aurora

Titan

• Locked thread