Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Amazing. Everything about this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SRM posted:

That is horrendous a thing of beauty :911:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arson Fire posted:

After seeing those new necrons, I'm thinking of starting an army. I painted up this guy as a test mini.

I painted over that stupid green rod. Because it's stupid.
I couldn't see them on the pictures of the new minis anyway.

I'm thinking that highlighting the green further towards yellow rather than trying to make it brighter might be a better idea. I'm also wondering if I should try to put some more colours on there. Maybe on the shoulders or staff.

I just got back into 40K after like a decade and I started collecting a small force of Necrons in preperation of the new Codex and your post really inspired me to paint over the stupid green rods on 6 of my warriors.

I'm happy with my decision but the blending of color on these rods look really rough in the picture.

I'm wondering if you or anyone has any tips to make it smoother?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Ya, I'm loving the glowing appearance of their eyes. I'm interested in trying to replicate that kind of look but with green for my Necrons but I'm weary that I'll just end up making them look like they've got on bright green mascara.

Bhyo posted:

A collection of things I've painted in the last 3 months

That is such a gorgeous looking and well painted Swooping Hawk model that it makes me want to collect Eldar all over again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So these are my first real completed warhams since I stopped playing when I was 18. I just finished up two Necron Destroyers and a Destroyer Lord. I guess 'finished' isn't the right word since they don't have any flocking on the bases or what have you.

I think I really mucked up the Lord though! I got him second hand and he came posed and covered in a thick layer of paint. There was glue gunked up under his shoulder armor as well. I really should have tossed him in some Simple Green before painting him. :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah man, your necrons are crisp as hell, but that lord just looks off. Also I think the gold head doesn't work, he'd be better with an all white one imo.

I think you're right about that. I'm this close to spontaneously throwing the whole model into a jar of simple green for 3 days and starting over again after giving the Lord a good tooth brushing. There's just too many layers of paint on him at this point to put another one on his head.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

Finished building my first squad of Necron warriors (+Cryptek). I kinda want to make a cloak for the Cryptek, but not sure what material would look good.

I didn't like the look of the long barreled guns, so I made them more into assault-rifle sized weapons, and I think it turned out pretty nice.

Nice work on making really unique looking warriors.

I can't tell from the picture but I'm curious what did for left hands on the warriors who have their guns gripped only in their right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

No seriously what the gently caress is this? Are those real maggots? WHAT DID YOU DO

For the love of everything holy in this world, malal answer the man.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Read the thread, for gently caress's sake. It's a horror movie prop.

Well gently caress, I read Silhouette loving mention it was one hell of a killer prop but who am I to know that it's infact the loving truth for gently caress's sake. loving warham. gently caress.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Due to some unfortunate mishaps I'm trying to glue broken staves together. More specifically staves broken off at the hand on several of my army mans.

Gorilla Glue isn't working at all. So noob question: what kind of glue should I be using and where can I find it?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I paint about once a year it seems and I'm slowly adding to a decent sized Necron army. All things considered I'm afraid my Dynasty has a pretty generic and boring color scheme.

Anyway here's unit of three Canoptek Wraiths that I just finished up yesterday (sorry about the crappy smartphone pics my dslr battery wasn't charged)

Crits welcome.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 24, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SRM posted:

I'm not a fan of the plinth looking bases, but those Wraiths look baller. I really love the lenses.

Thanks, dude. I've really enjoyed your posts lately. Especially the 2nd ed Ultramarines. I get mad flashbacks whenever you do an update. :)

And yeah, those plinth things were there from when I primered them and I actually got so used to them that I completely forgot to take them off before snapping pictures of my plastic matrix bugs. They're actually just aluminum caps to Starbucks frappuccinos.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 25, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

A bit bland, yes, but you executed it well. Washes are easy to use but getting them to apply the same way on each model takes work. That decorative base has large, flat surfaces and is begging for some transfer sheet decals!

DO IT

Those bases were there from when I primered the Wraiths. Since they were actually really handy to have attached to the models while I was painting I got pretty used to them being on and totally forgot to remove them before I started taking pictures. Your idea of putting transfers on them and using them as decorative bases is a pretty rad one that I might explore. I have like, six of those sheets just going to waste!

Ratflinger posted:

Any chance one you could elaborate on how you painted the lenses or get a close up image on them? They look really neat and I suck at painting lenses/glass-like surfaces. Going to paint some wraiths of my own in the near future and hope that I can make them look half as nice as yours.

Thanks a lot! I'm not great at describing methods but it's a base coat (snot green) with wash (nuln oil) to darken then leaving the upper left untouched put a crescent of the base color around the lens. Once that dries put a brighter but smaller crescent of color over/inside the first (in this case scorpion green). Depending on the size of the lens you may want a follow with a smaller brighter crescent of color after (I didn't). Then to top it off get a small drop of white on your detail brush and put a dot in the darkest upper left most portion of the lens for the glint.

I used to play 2nd ed Eldar and I busted my painting noodle doing soul stone after soul stone and I used the same general method here with the lenses.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 25, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

These last couple of posts reminds me that I have a couple of staves for Necrons that I need to fix.

What's the best way to fix staffs to clenched fists and what not? Super glue has been a nightmare and isn't working. I'm using Gorilla glue btw. Do I need some other brand? Do I need to pin these things together?

LumberingTroll posted:

Amazing studio pictures

I am in awe. Jealous and envious awe.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the pinning advise and help everygoony.

My pin vise from ebay arrived in the mail today and I managed to use bits of a paper clip, the super glue I had on hand and the smallest drill bit to put this Crypteks custom 4 piece staff together. Worked like a charm and now I'm a super fan of pinning and looking for any reason to pin things together.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Painted up a Necron Lord and Cryptek with the staff I pinned together using green rods and a couple of spare Wraith bits.

Crappy iPhone pic incoming:

The original staff that came with the Cryptek broke and kind of sucked anyway.

I didn't take any shots of the Lord as happy as I am with how he turned out, just because the finecast made the Warscythe all warped looking. gently caress finecast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PyroDwarf posted:

Nice lookin' staff you got there.

I straightened out my cryptek's staff by warming it a bit with a hair dryer and adjusting it. Just be careful, a little heat goes a long way!

Thanks!

So is this what I can do the next time I get something Finecast that is warped in some way? Just heat it up with a blowdryer for a few minutes and bend it manually into the shape I want?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Good to know! I wish I had this information before I primed and painted the Necron Lord. :smith:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Noted for next time. :spergin:

Actually the bits I used were from the ranged weapons the Wraiths comes with, which I didn't use. I'm pretty limited on what bits I actually have, so it's fortunate they worked out.

It was my first time drilling and pinning anything. Here's a better pinhole camera from an old pizza box picture of it:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

To any goons having issues with thinning their paints or paints drying up on their pallets you should seriously consider using a wet pallet.

They've been mentioned lots in this thread in the past and for good reason. They're super easy to make and since I've tried using them I can't see myself going back to using a dry pallet ever again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

I never understood that model. Anteater-dinosaur-dragon-titrow demon.

The gently caress.

Because Slaanesh.

Also holy poo poo I never noticed the tit row on those things until you mentioned it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PyroDwarf posted:

Harbinger of Despair WIP. Looking for suggestions or adjustment I can make before I finish up. Specifically, how can I make the orbs more glow-y? They look a bit chalky. Also, I guess I didn't clean the figure as well as I thought I had and missed a few spots with the primer.

I was going for a marble-ish pattern on the purple parts, and I like how that came out. I think a black wash on the silver and sepia wash on the gold will cover up some of the mistakes that I made. Thinking about edge highlighting the shoulder pads gold.

With my crons I start with a base coat of Warpstone Glow. Hit with a wash of Nuln Oil. Then a second hit of Warpstone while leaving the edges of the orbs dark. Then I'll water down some Scorpion Green and hit that orb in a smaller area in the center. Once that's fully dry I'll give it another smaller hit of Scorpion. Then I'll usually mix in some Sunburst Yellow with the Scorpion Green and pop on a tiny bit of that to finish off. Really gives orbs a good glow effect in contrast to my boring metal and gold scheme.

I'd post a pic but I'm on my mobile.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 20, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SRM posted:

Just painted this Thudd Gun that I'll be using as a Thunderfire in games:

Oh my god. :allears:

spacegoat posted:

Part of the squad finished.

Ruh roh.

Rawr.

Oh my loving god. :swoon:

Organize a campaign, you two. Take pictures.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does anygoony have pro-tips on how to paint multifaceted jewels? More specifically the Gloom Prism for the Necron Canoptek Spyder? I'm planning on painting it standard eerie glowing green but I'm not sure how to best go about it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Weirdo posted:

No but I studied them in school :shobon: Seriously though, this link might answer some questions but it's not a guide by any means.

Hey that's pretty cool, although it raises more questions about the method I should go about painting the gem than it actually answers. :saddowns:

Seems like every resource I can find only talks about gemstones. I did find a blog that kind of addressed how to approach angular and non-spherical gems but it wasn't incredibly helpful since it was pretty brief.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

So, this is quite possibly one of the best Phantoms I've ever seen.

I wish there were more shots of it like this but closer. I WANT TO BE CLOSER. :swoon:

*ahem*

Anyway, so I'm working on a Nightscythe. Haven't attached the portal or the gently caress-off laser since my magnets are still in the mail.

I want to do a little more since my scheme is all ho-hum run of the mill metal men and outside of basing and maybe adding decals I can't think of what.

Anyone have any suggestions?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

Personally I'd leave it as is, I really like the subdued, not-overly-flashy look.

Me too, I think I'll do what you suggest and leave it as is and try to add a few decals without screwing it up. The last time I tried to apply a decal was in my teens and it didn't end up well.

VolatileSky posted:

Before:

After:

Kharn may be the Betrayer, I think he'd definitely Befriend you after this great ebay save and paintjob. :glomp:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

The only thing I can think of is maybe some subtle OSL, and Microsol/set are your friends for decals.

I must have been a total retard in my teens because I just put on four decals after reading a brief tutorial online and it wasn't a problem at all.

serious gaylord posted:

Ash and ye shall receive

:aaaaa:

Now, can you get me close enough to touch it?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is that a macro lens? I could go for more quality close ups of peoples work, I love looking at all the detail.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The blood needs a fair bit of purple in those patches.

I'm in one of those moods where all I want to do is paint. Next project started.

Loving the work you put into that radar screen.

So, I'm looking at various sized plastic tool boxes and paint racks on ebay to help me keep my growing amount of paints and tools organized. I guess what I'm wondering is what kind of things you guys use to store all your paints and brushes?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Liberated from a GW store when they were switching to the new racking. Always pays to ask!

Although I cant fit the VMA paints in there which I'm starting to accumulate at a frightening speed.

I'm so jelly. But if you want a certain paint, do you have to keep pulling out other colors until the one you want drops out of the rack?

The Sex Cannon posted:

So, in the current White Dwarf, Jervis wrote an article about painting a "one-off". So I was all like, "gently caress it. Imma paint a muhfukin one-off tonight." Check it, bitches:

Sick work.

Is that what painting a "one-off" is? Just doing up a bad-rear end looking Commissar for the gently caress of it?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

How do you get that particular effect with the blood paint? Drybrushing or painting streaks on with regular brushes?

Hope this helps a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRBq7GVnJM

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

And now I want to paint another Valkyrie aside from all the tanks I want. Goddamn it. :sigh:
Although for the next one I probably should just buy some paint in a spray can. Which I probably should do for the tanks as well now that I think about it. Anyone know of a decent stand in for Castellan Green?

You could try the Angel Green spray primer by Army Painter. It looks pretty close to Castellan Green and will probably save you a lot of time.

Looks good. I get a kick out of those tiny storm bolter straps. How and when are those guys (or just Termies in general) ever going to sling their weapons. :3:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

moths posted:

Army painter black matte primer could blot out the sun.

I have a can waiting for use. I picked it up on a whim and because it was for sale pretty cheap. I have yet to crack the seal on the cap but will be soon once my other primers run out. How does it compare to Chaos Black primer from GW? Are they about the same in sun blotting quality?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lungboy posted:

The new GW hobby tools look terrible. The knife in particular looks entirely un-ergonomic.

But but the Citadel pin vise comes in three sizes! "Lasgun", "Bolter" and "Heavy Bolter". :commissar:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

This part is actually pretty awesome considering that's like 90% of what most people use a pin vise for.

While absolutely true and irrefutable it would be awesome if the drill bits were listed in, you know, actual sizes with numbers and stuff. But anyway, math sucks.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 19, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PRECISION ENGINEERED BY THE FABRICATOR-GENERAL OF MARS TO BE THE BEST HOBBY TOOLS IN THE GALAXY. TO USE ANY OTHER TOOL REGARDLESS OF PRICE IS TO BE BRANDED A HERETIC AND MARKED FOR IMMEDIATE EXECUTION.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh man, the subtle metal sheen on the lightening claws of the Talon of Horus is loving sick, gaylord. Real nice touch.

Post 9-11 User posted:

This does make me realize how bad his pose is, like he's doing yoga, and how his head is way too big.

The pose is fine when you see the entire model on its base and, since he's climbing the ruins of those stairs I think it looks natural.

I'm also pretty sure Horus has had a big head in nearly every single thing he's ever been visually depicted in. It's practically his personal primarch mutation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Sisko posted:

Your work is that good , nuff said. On another note here is my WIP Typhus which I had a surprisingly amount of fun painting. Any suggestions/criticism are welcome.

Your Typhus is the first Nurgle paint job that I've seen in a while that doesn't make me want to throw up in my mouth.

I mean that as a compliment, it's a very clean and crisp paint job so far. My only suggestion is to crank up the gross factor when you start to finish it up. Or not, since I kind of dig the more corroded look over the more common pus, blood, jizz and spew motif..

SRM posted:

Terminators!

I can't wait to see what sweet standard you put up on that banner pole.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I picked up a second Catacomb Barge Lord off eBay for pretty cheap since I needed a Res Orb forearm to replace one that had broken off and gotten lost from the first Barge Lord I have. Figured I'd slap on the extra Cryptek right arm I never used and make a Mindshackle Scarabs Lord...

I'm not sure if it looks like he's trying to make you stop in the name of love, or if it looks like he's controlling someones brain.

• Locked thread