Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
What are all the options for stripping paint off of plastic?

I am in Taiwan and I can't find any Pinesol (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist out here) and wouldn't even know where to start to find a product with pine oil in it. I'm going to keep looking, but if there are other options I'd like to be aware of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Acceptableloss posted:

What are the odds? I am in Taiwan right now too.

If you are near Taipei and ever interested in a game of Battletech, let me know.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I found a solution to my paint remover problem. My friend suggested finding a household degreaser because he has had luck with those in the past. I went down to the local grocery store and bought a bottle with a shiny kitchen on it. Maybe it was the quality of the paint, maybe this poo poo is just magic, but it got the model down to plastic in a couple of hours. Even the spray primer came off with no problem.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So I have a pretty lovely situation.

I've been painting a bunch of models and wanted to make sure that paint was protected, so I had my friend bring me a can of Purity Seal from the UK while they were visiting.

Then, I sprayed my models with it.

Something went wrong, but I have no idea what. Either the spray got hosed up from being on an airplane or it was too humid outside or it was a bad can or something, but now it looks like my models have a layer of snow on them.

I'm pretty sure I'm just loving boned and I have no what do to. Do I get in touch with GW? I assume I can't strip the varnish without stripping the paint.

This is fairly upsetting given how much work went into all of my miniatures.

Advice?

Edit: I tried taking some photos, but it doesn't show up well with the camera I have.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How does that fix it? It just sounds like it would add another layer to the existing layer of "snow".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you can, find an alternative varnish:

This could be next to impossible given where I live and my access to hobby supplies.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I should clarify. My friend was in the UK and brought it to a small town in Taiwan where I live. There very well could be excellent spray on varnishes here, but the odds of you being familiar with the brands seems... low.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alright, I took the threads advice and tried spraying again. When I applied, it went on clear and then it dried snowy. :-/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It would probably be true if I was in Taipei. Sadly, I'm not. The stationary stores around me carry jack.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was doing about 5 models at a go, but since it went on clear and I didn't know about the snow, I just assumed it was going to work on all of them, so I did another batch and another.

Is this time sensitive at all? Like, will I get worse and worse results letting it sit for a few days? Not that it really matters at this point. I'd prefer not to try again with the Purity Seal and try and find a local brand of varnish and spray in an air-conditioned room that's much drier.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
People keep telling me to paint varnish on my models. Is that just a recommendation for future models or could it actually help correct this problem?

Also, I sent GW an email and they said to call them, but I don't really expect anything to come of it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

!amicable posted:

For fucks sake, yes. We are not lying, why would we make this up?

It wasn't a yes or no question. I couldn't tell if people were recommending that I paint on varnish on the bad models or just use paint on in the future, but now it's clear that painting on varnish is one possible solution that I can try.

I didn't accuse anyone of lying, just clarifying.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

!amicable posted:

I am pretty sure that there have been pretty explicit posts saying that applying gloss varnish to the hosed up models will fix them. The thing to keep in mind is that spraying from a can that frosted before might not help unless you've shaken it well and made sure it's not frosting again. To be honest, most people who gently caress up their models with a can of varnish could avoid all the heartache by test spraying something. I am still going to keep plugging paint on varnish though.

Grab some polymer varnish, one bottle of gloss, one bottle of matte. You can apply them both or just use the matte on non-metallic areas and the gloss on metallic areas. As a caveat, the varnish will reactivate the suspension medium that GW washes use, so after you apply it to a washed area, DO NOT touch it with your brush again, get the entire area covered in one motion or you will risk moving around the pigment.

As for brands, Golden is pretty good. I don't know what they have available in Taiwan though, so I am not sure how useful that advice is.

Alright, I will see if I can find a hobby shop the next time I am in Taipei.

Ideally, I would have tested the spray first and of course I'm an idiot for not doing that or consulting this thread. However, I didn't even know that "frosting" was a thing, and the spray goes on clear at first. Had I tested it, I probably would have continued to spray my models because I thought it was fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So, calling GW customer service was more productive than I thought. Unfortunately, I used the spray on Iron Wind Metal Battletech minis, so they couldn't directly replace them. Instead, they're giving me a decent gift voucher.

The only thing that annoyed me was that the guy on the phone was well aware of the problem with Purity Seal.

Seriously, if they know it's poo poo, they should take it off of shelves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am having some success with a random bottle of what I think is polymer gloss varnish. I haven't been able to find any matte so far, but the metal bits are looking alright. Obviously, mileage varies from surface to surface depending on how bad they were affected by clouding, but some areas look almost as good as they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not getting the results I want with my matte varnish.

I'm using Gaia Flat Coat mixed with thinner (the guy at store said 2 thinner : 1 varnish). The results I'm getting are way shinier than I want.

Is it possible I'm not letting the paint dry enough before applying the varnish?

• Locked thread