Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
edit: damnit I should attach that the image I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I realize this isn't a great photo, (my camera is dead right now, and I never built one of them fancy lightboxes) but does this look too dark?
It's a test mini for my skaven (and probably the first thing I've painted in 9 months).
Also, I asked this in the other thread, but what do you guys usually do for warpstone swords? Does anyone have a good tutorial?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I have way too many spirit hosts.
And here's the rest of my painted vcs minis.

The other side of my spirit hosts.

And here's the skaven warlord I finished yesterday.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 2, 2010

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Manifest, those Spirit Hosts are awesome. I like the Cursed Company models. And the little old-school skink. :3:
How'd you do the color?

Thanks, I'm a big fan of the cursed company models too.
I got the effect by priming white, washing the models with thraka green, then washing with asurmen blue, then highlighting with a mixture of green and blue to match.
Pretty simple process, and it gives up a decent tabletop quality result.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

stabbington posted:

Keep your tools properly lubricated, or you will lose your loving mind.

I keep a little cup of water and a little tube of ky jelly for greenstuffing.
It sounds weird, but KY is water based so it doesn't really hurt anything, and once it's on your sculpting tools you don't have to worry about greenstuff sticking to it as it dries.
I use it for doing tool-free tire changes on my road bike too, you get some funny faces when you're on a group ride and pull out a tube of ky when it's time to change a flat.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

That just doesnt seem to do the trick, the GS is instantly tacky.

I wonder if some sort of really thin tool-grade oil might work, I know almost nothing about that kind of stuff though

I'm telling you, liquid ky. They sell it at the pharmacy for like $4 for the tiny tube, it sounds weird but it works incredibly well, and since it's water based excess residue can be wiped off with a paper towel once the gs has set.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I didn't have anything to do today, so I finished painting the unit of black knights I started the other day.
Quick and dirty, but they'll get the job done until GW releases cooler models.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

SERIOUS TIP for people looking for lamps/bulbs:

fabric/sewing stores will sell this kind of thing for LADIES who like to sew and embroider and do all that kind of thing. I know these shops are really scary to nerds but they will totally be able to sell you really good daylight/magnifying/superfly lamps and bulbs to put in the aforementioned lamps.

What warham worth his weight in polystyrene glue isn't already incredibly familiar with his local Michaels/Joann Fabrics?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Why are the flags rusty?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

You're pretty decent at this, you know. Maybe you should do it for a living or at least to bring in some cash on the side.

He's doing it as a commission for someone.
To make cash on the side.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

:ughh:

Hell Diver posted:

:negative:

I don't get it.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Can you post a walkthrough on the sponge weathering?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

Basically you take a sponge (I used the foam you get in warcaster blisters) get a bit of paint on it and rub it around a bit, and then dab the model, but not too much or you get weathering in dumb places like I did.

Huh, thanks. That sounds perfect for a conversion I have in mind.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I pretty much only use p3 stuff now. They're the greatest.
(Though I still love the citadel foundations and washes, and their old inks.)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Aetilus posted:

is there anything worse than amateur-painted holiday-themed miniatures?

That is awesome and you are a fool for not recognizing it.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Turning warhamer ogres into crazy poo poo is a warham tradition, fa la la la la, la la la la

drat straight, and it's GW sanctioned.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats a pretty cool site.

To put it mildly.

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

"it's for cleaning an airbrush, officer. honest"

In California they expect it to be for your bong, and don't have a problem with that.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Have you tried calling the manufacturer? They usually have help lines for stuff like this.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I like PV's Autarch.
Nothing about it stands out as being "too busy" or "wrong."

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Another question for you guys: what thicknesses of plasticard do you typically use when building/converting?

I have a stack of various thicknesses, as well as various tubes and bars and stuff.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Phyresis posted:

This is a GREAT color scheme. I may do something similar with my Space Hulk nids.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Aetilus posted:

need a gel super glue recommendation.

I really like the control and quick drying of loctite but the bottles are too small and the nozzles fill with dried glue and need to get reamed by a sewing needle every couple uses and it is getting annoying.

Are there any Gel super glues that come in large quantity bottles without the clogging issues?

I use the zap a cap gel (as well as their liquid) and it kicks rear end.
They make a couple different viscosities. Regular, thin, gap filling, etc.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

poo poo PV, that's a bitchin color scheme. That would look good on just about any army there is.
And let me echo the props on the stone base, that's a lot better than my usual "base black, drybrush various shades of grey" technique.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I'm going to try that for the next hunk of stone I paint. I've wanted to do that warm to cool weathering you did for a while now, and just never really put the effort into trying to figure out how.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nah, you're correct. Your primer affects your colors in the end, especially if your paint is translucent enough. Sometimes black is better, sometimes white gray is better (because white has terrible coverage). Sometimes combining the two helps, sometimes it doesn't.

To sum it up: primer blows, and if we could do without it, we all would right now without a second thought.

I really like Tamiya white primer. poo poo goes on smooth and thin every time, even if it is expensive as gently caress.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive hobby dremel?
My Korean knock off from CVS died on me, and I've got metal models to hack at.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Mt. ORourke posted:

Cross-posting from the oath thread:

Any ideas for how to make the talons pop a bit more? I did an edge highlight with Enchanted blue but it's very close to the foundation blue beneath and doesn't show too well. Other comments welcome too!

Don't mind me, I'm just totally stealing your color scheme for my space hulk minis.
What was your process?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Paradigm Pirate posted:

No idea how pricing for Proxxon is in North America but I'm going to recommend the Proxxon Micromot 50.

Pretty cheap on amazon, thanks!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Why magnetize a model to its base?

I'm in the process of building a zombie giant (unit filler)/counts as varghulf.
As soon as it's painting I'm putting together two bases, so I can run two varghulfs without having two identical models on the table, or conversely, add 10 zombies to a horde.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Superglue doesn't take days to cure, so if it falls off it just means it wasn't glued well to begin with. Make sure the surfaces fit together properly, and consider roughing them up with a file or sandpaper. Pinning will basically solve this issue, but if you don't want to do that for every joint (and who does) you can also put a little bit of greenstuff between the two parts. As in, apply your glue, drop a small bit of GS on one side, and press the pieces together.

That's an awesome tip. I'm going to try that this weekend.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

theironjef posted:

I'm just happy to have found this picture, apparently some organizer took it at a tournament I was at recently, I found it floating around online. Way better shot than I can take.

Whoa okay, I need to do some banners that way. Can you step-by-step your technique?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I like p3 inks personally.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

If you're doing any sort of extensive cutting, spend $20 on a cheap jewelers saw. The thing tears through metal (mine does at least) and makes the smoooooothest cuts.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Bachtere posted:

Nothing too fancy. I just like painting dots. :shobon:

The base is from Scibor btw. They have some good poo poo.

Yeah, want that base. Hella bad.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

Problem is I hate the GW new style ones even more. Never liked the "S" style ones.

Another option is to say "gently caress zombie dragon" and just get a regular dragon for the Vampire to fly instead, saying that since he's a pimp Blood Dragon Vamp, second best just does not do.

Also, after what I have done to this model, I very much doubt I would get enough cash to buy 1 VC zombie dragon for it on ebay. I would be really loving suprised.

I think it'd be perfectly fluffy for your Blood Knight Vampire to ride a regular dragon.
I bought that plastic high elf dragon kit with the intent of eventually converting it into a zombie dragon, but my stupid zombie giant took me ages and crushed my spirit, so no greenstuff work for a while.

On a related note, I've been toying with the idea of heavily decorating my movement trays. I picked up some LOTR ruins to work as a base, and plan on making the rest of the tray rim match up.
Will this cause me problems in games if some sperglord wants to be a dick about LoS?

(apologies for the crappy iphone photo)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Inverse Icarus posted:

Here's a dumb question I should have asked before basing previous models.

Assuming you guys use sealer or whatever to keep the paint from chipping/scratching, do you do that before or after you add grass/whatever? I did it after on my first batch, and now I'm thinking the sealer might have helped keep the rocky sand stuff I'm using together better.

I base my models (rocks, sand etc) before I even prime them, but I put static grass on after I use dullcote on them.
Never tried dullcoting the grass itself, but my way seems to work.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

It's not bad: a bit novice (as in simple, not as in "haha loser"), but that's never a bad thing. We all started there, and we can only hope to get better. I will say that your paint might be going on a little too thick, and if you haven't already, investing in some good brushes may help with both control and paint flow. We of course recommend the Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes (found at https://www.dickblick.com for usually on-sale prices), but if you aren't comfortable using a brush quite that expensive, any non-synthetic, non "college grade" brush in the 0 and 000 sizes (or equivalent) will do you just fine.

Follow this advice, but when you thin you paints, get them to roughly the consistency of whole milk. They'll go on much smoother, and if you need multiple coats (you likely will) the paint wont obscure details on the models.

You're off to a great start.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Not a viking posted:

I like the skin a lot, please do!

For real, this is exactly what I'm going for on something I'm working on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I'm fooling around with some Lizardmen Temple Guard, and I've decided to paint them something other than that ridiculous blue.
Do any lizard players have alternate color schemes they can show off?

• Locked thread