Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's one of my recent projects all done; a finished DBA army of 15mm Trapezuntine Byzantians (IV/34) chilling in front of the Golden Gate of Constantinople. This armylist lacks options, so this is the complete army. Also, half the fun of DBA is building the camps.

Click here for the full 1065x513 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished what's hopefully my last carpet archers. Didn't have any more archers to convert, so I resorted to sculpting quite a bit of these myself. Did these just so I can field two units if I ever want to (but who am I kidding, I never play, I just paint), or just one huge unit.

Pictures!

Plastics and green stuff:

Click here for the full 802x538 image.

All done:

aaaaand a groupshot of Mahmoud the Serpent's Flying Circus:

Click here for the full 1180x672 image.

Yeah, a few bases to do still...

Just two more units to finish; then I'll never have to paint a model for this army again.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Oh jeez, I can't stop making stuff for my Araby army.

Finished a unit of handgunners and sat around looking at the bitz box when I got an idea, which resulted in this:

Click here for the full 434x800 image.

I made a sniper using a Hochland long rifle I didn't use for the handgunners because of it's size. Now I'm thinking of making a unit of these using the Skaven Jezzail rules, which seems rather appropriate.

Or it might just end up a cool handgunner champ.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Painted this up rather quick.

drat, now I do want to make more of these. Gonna have to try to scavenge some bitz from friends. Just in case, anyone know a good site to buy warhammer plastic bitz?

\/ I'm in Sweden

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 27, 2009

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Nice warhound.

Working on one of those myself, and have more or less finished the legs, waist and weapons. The main hull is built, but not detailed.

Here's the Vulcan megabolter I just finished:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Flying Guillotine posted:

And this is... cereal box card? Dude, you should make this outta plasticard.

(and possibly recast it...)

It's 1,5 mm cardboard, with detailing made from card, plasticard and a few plastic profiles and bitz. It isn't exactly lightweight, so I bet I'm gonna have to reinforce all the legjoints quite a bit to support the superstructure. On the plus side though, the cardboard makes it really sturdy and I get it for free from work. So far it's cost me about $20.

It does however keep me from working on my drat oath...

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Plasma blastgun pretty much done.

pew pew

Now maybe I can spend some time on my oath...

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Cakefool posted:

Loving the use of the ribbon cable. The nozzle cowl is also ringing bells for some reason - is it from some kind of plastic bottle or similar?

Awesome obviously!

Heh, I actually looked at plastic bottles for that part, but came up with nothing. Made it by building up the shape with cardboard, cutting/sanding it down and smoothing it out with filler.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Fearless posted:

I'd like to requote this to let you know that your megabolter has inspired me to go back and do more detail work on mine. I had originally planned on leaving it, as I wasn't really happy with the design at all, but I borrowed some of the design elements you've used to make my megabolter far less ugly. I've gotten quite a bit of work on the titan done, so I should have some photo updates soon.

Well, I really liked your use of the land raider engine bit in the back, and am stealing that idea, if I can just find one. I'm also seriously considering rebuilding the feet on mine, seeing how good yours look. Mine are much simpler and without hydraulics. It'll probably be a week or two before I do any more work on it. drat you, real life for interfering with my hobbies.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Fearless posted:

Here are some progress shots on my Warhound:

Awesome. I really like that paint job. And it's magnetized? Niiice.

Can't wait to see how the knight turns out. Legs look like a good start.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Gonna sculpt that helmet, cast it and make a Stig Marine army. It will be awesome and invincible*

*may or may not happen.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Got some more work done on my warhound, namely the leg armour. Also covered the upper body. Still needs detailing on the upper body and head, and joints to mount the weapons, but after that it's probably ready for paint.

Click here for the full 574x700 image.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

enri posted:

What set of templates are you using? I had a quick play around with the ones by some JSV fella or whatever his name his and the head is baffling the hell out of me. I've got the 3 main components, and barring having to add tabs, I can't for the life of me work out how the feck it's supposed to go together. The bit causing me the most grief is the bit labelled 'lower head assembly' - some of the slim bits just don't seem to want to really fit where I'd expect them to.

I'm just doing a dry run with cardboard before I throw myself in the deep end so it's not a biggy if I need to scrap it and try again but I'm using some lush card that I'd rather make some decent use of :3:

I use plans by someone named patrick salvail. The JSV plans are based on them. Didn't go for the fiddly feet with the hydraulics which is the main difference, and I kind of regret that. But with some detailing and with the leg armour on, these look nice enough.

Yeah, some bits are a bit confusing or badly designed. The lower head is supposed to fold over and sit on top of the jaw assembly, isn't it? But then I didn't really like the 'boxyness' of the original, so the head on mine is changed a bit.

And cardboard pretty much rules for building this. I wanted to make it in plasticard first, but I would have killed myself on glue fumes. Plus, plasticard isn't free. So I figured I'd have a go making it in cardboard and cardstock. Wood glue doesn't set my allergies off, plus I get the paper for free. So far, I've spent roughly $20 on it in materials. Sliiiightly cheaper than buying one from Forgeworld.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Got some more work done on this bastard. Enough to be able to blu-tac it together. Just some detailing work left to do on the head and carapace. Can't wait to get that done so I can throw some paint at it, call it done and hide it on some shelf, never to be used for anything ever. :emo:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Have been starting to throw paint at my papercraft warhound:

Got fed up with detailing, called it a day and started painting it since I couldn't oath it. I just want it done at this point. Most metal areas are done, but I'm at a complete loss on how to paint the rest of it.

Thought about Warp Runners, since all my Epic Titans were painted as such. I'm not too fond of flame patterns on this scale though and will probably go for a simpler two-tone scheme. I've read Titanicus, and the main legion seems to use red and brass, which sounds a bit too khorne for my taste. Best ideas so far are dark blue carapace/leg armor with pale yellow head/legs, or mainly red with black stripes. Alternatively some sort of city camo pattern on the carapace, with everything else a dark blue.

Opinions or ideas on other color schemes? I'm all ears.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Threw something together in photoshop to test paint schemes, because I don't want to change my mind halfway through painting it. Opinions or other suggestions?

I kinda prefer the red/black or blue/yellow

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Some pics of my warhound, all painted up. I might go back and add some Adeptus mechanicus symbols or other details, because it's a bit plain, but for now I can't be bothered. I'm pretty drat tired of this thing by now.

Painted it red/black at first, but it looked a bit flat and boring, so the black was painted over with dark blue. The blue is darker and the highlights much less pronounced in real life, but the camera flash makes them stand out.

I'll be building a base for it though, because it needs to be based. After all, it's just made of cardboard, so it's not exactly sturdy. A base would give a whole lot of structural strength to the legs and feet. But as long as it's just sitting on a bookshelf somewhere, it's fine.

Total cost was roughly £20. Some plastic profiles for detailing and two sets of plastic tubing for the leg joints.

Click here for the full 700x668 image.

Click here for the full 700x527 image.

Click here for the full 700x421 image.

A few more images here: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/Warhound/

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Looks sweet, I think it needs some weathering/rust effects to break up the flat areas and make the edges/corners more interesting. Love the tip of the plasma cannon.

Only heretics suffer rust.

But yeah, you're right. If/when I go back to do some more work on it, I'll try and give it a bit more nicks and scratches to make it look less pristine.

Ashcans posted:

Gumby, that warhound is awesome, the progress has been really cool to watch and its great to see the finished product looking so good. There are a couple minor things I'd suggest (pretty much just blacking out the cockpit windows or otherwise defining them) but I understand the feeling and it looks really good.

The plasma cannon is great, I didn't think that blue would work on such a large area, but it worked out well. The scorching on the barrel is well done too.

Would you like to build me a Revenant Scout Titan next?

Yeah, I think the cockpit windows could look better blacked out. I did something like that for some IG buggies and that looked nice, so I don't know why I didn't bother with it on the warhound. Possibly because I just wanted it painted in a hurry so I could forget about it.

As for a revenant, I'll get right on it. Actually, I briefly considered building a wrecked chaos warhound, for the diorama oath challenge thingy. You know, much less details, mostly the main hull and only parts of the legs and weapons. It could probably be cranked out pretty fast. Then I wanted to kill myself for even considering it.

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2010

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

SkunkDuster posted:

Where did you get that metal grating that is on the end of his snout?

It's just some plastic packing band that came wrapped around a box of printer paper or something. Had a nice texture to it, and saved me the trouble of finding textured plasticard. It's cut into little pieces with the joints hidden by some thinner strips.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
thread needs more frogs

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

I'm slowly inching closer to calling my Araby army all finished. Just painted up my third jezail, giving me a tiny but playable unit. Now I'm only planning on adding one more unit (a djinn), but I have a few other units that need some work before they're finished.

I'd like to make 3 more jezails though, but don't have the bitz for it. Anyone know a good place to order bitz (in Europe)? I've already plundered everyone I know on their high Elf legs, and I don't have too many Empire handguns/longrifles either. Or is there a friendly goon with bitz to spare, willing to part with them for a small sum? Or a large sum, if you prefer payment in Zimbabwean dollars.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Cakefool posted:

I know of 3 places in the UK, if that's any good?
Bitsandkits
Bitzbox
Let the dice decide

I've ordered from the first 2 with no problems, I've not ordered from the third one yet.

Thanks, and bookmarked. They're all out of high elf legs though. :(

Teadrinker posted:

Mate I have at least 3 maybe 6 Longrifles that I wont use, I have lots, and I mean lots of spare empire bits. I doubt ill use those longrifles but ill keep one just in case. How many Do you need and what sort of handguns do you want?

I could use 3 longrifles. That'd give me 6 jezails, which I think is enough.
As for handguns, well, they're in case I can't get longrifles, as I can cut up a couple handguns to make my own longrifles. It wouldn't matter much which sort it is, but preferrably the ones without any hands attached.

You don't happen to have any high elf-playing friends? :)

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

No Pun Intended posted:

Good news: I have a few archer sprues floating around

Bad news: I live at the bottom of the world

PM if you are interested though.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I just managed to find someone with a few bitz to spare a bit closer. One of those "friend of a friend of a friend" deals.

Here's a completely unrelated pic of something rather cool:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Ages ago I painted a mounted wraith swinging a scythe and riding a white horse (much more practical than a skeletal one, because you don't have to stop to wire bits back on).

But I rarely played undead, because they're kind of boring compared to the Empire. So when I eventually started making a regiment of knights of Morr, I gave the champion a scythe blade I looted from the wraith, intending to get a new one to replace it eventually. That was years ago, and I never did.

That is, until mr. Teadrinker on the forums here was awesome enough to send me a bunch of bits, including a scythe, so finally Death could get back to his reaping with his old blade while the champ got a brand new one.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Anphrax posted:

e: Please post your favorite painted landspeeder for inspiration!

I have a few:

:v:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I'm finally making some progress on the Araby army again. Got the high elf legs I needed from a friend, so I've finished 3 more jezails, now all they need is a coat of paint. After I've painted these, I'm down to just two more models to make before calling it quits for this army; a wizard on camel and a djinn. I even fielded the army in a couple of games last weekend. Didn't win any of them, but it was fun to get to play for once. They're terrible, but at least they look cool being terrible.

Click here for the full 700x521 image.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Ashcans posted:

What rules did you use for playing with them? I know that you have your own list, and sometimes use, uh, the Empire list for them as well?

Also you should use that Perry Miniatures guy for your wizard on camel.

I used my own list. Don't want to use them as Empire in friendly games as it'd be hard to find use for some of the more exotic units in a count-as Empire army. I've never used them as count-as Empire, but if I ever play a tournament that is the plan. I did offer to play them as a count-as Empire army though, but my opponents preferred facing them as Araby.

Yeah, I know the mini, and it is nice. Artizan also has some nice camels in their WW1 range. I'll go for the cheap route though and just convert one of my current camel riders with arms from the Empire wizard kit. I can spare one; I have 16 of them.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I've been pretty productive today, so I might as well inflict it on you. Don't worry though, I've almost run out of Araby stuff to do now.

My jezails are done!

Click here for the full 1000x433 image.

Click here for the full 1000x654 image.

And I finally got some bases so i could finish my handgunners and a regiment of troops with great weapons.

Click here for the full 800x370 image.

Click here for the full 800x725 image.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sooo... what's the banner say? My arabic is a little rusty.
It says "Oh God what is my hairdo all about"

Almost all faux-arabic text in the army is Eddie Izzard quotes, written with an arabic font. I have no idea why, but it probably made sense at the time. I blame glue fumes.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Red Herring posted:

Cop that, Space Sharks.
Here ya go

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Quoting myself from the Oath thread:

R.S. Gumby posted:

:havlat::havlat::havlat:Oath Complete!:havlat::havlat::havlat:

Inbetween watching a lot of football, I've managed to complete my oath, so here's a few pics.

Here's my unit of Boar Boyz. I already posted a near-complete image of them, but now they're all done. Was wondering what to do with the banner, if i could work in the secret ingredient on it, but ended up leaving in undecorated. A simple red flag looked about right, and probably makes the boars faster, too.

Then there's the Ogre Leadbelchers. Their pants was an obvious place to use the secret ingredient:

Gratuitous rear end-shot:

Done! Now excuse me, there's more football on.

As I finished my oath, I took the opportunity to base some other stuff and I might as well post some pictures.

Pump wagons:

The Snot dragster, converted Orc Chariot:

All my ogres, starting to look like a small army. This is the formation I will field them in, obviously.

And this dude, because he's awesome:

...aaaand that's it.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

SkunkDuster posted:

What are you using for the grass?

stabbington posted:

Looks like standard spring or summer static grass
Pretty much. To be picky, it's a bag of both spring and summer grass mixed together for a nice green tone. No flock or anything though, it's just glued directly to the sand with normal PVA glue, undiluted and rather thick. Lots of grass poured over the base, and pressed down with a finger or tool. It'll spring back up a bit for some nice tufty grass with the minimum amount of work.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
After last month's oath I finally have a decent sized unit of Orc boyz finished, so I couldn't resist taking a picture:

Click here for the full 1200x722 image.

It's a unit of 30 boyz, although with some cheating on regiment bases and such, modelwise it's actually 25 boyz, 2 gobbos and a troll (and a dead humie). Kind of rag tag, which is appropriately orky. Not bad for someone who hates painting greenskins.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Aranan posted:

How long does a can of spray primer usually last? I only got ~20 models primed before this can went empty and that seems really low.

Some years ago, some kid at the hobby club complained about much the same thing. I think his spray died halfway into his third 10-man unit of space wolves. As an experiment, the next time I bought an undercoat spray I taped a paper to the can and wrote down anything I undercoated. Can't remember the exact number of models, but it was quite a bit more than 200 of mostly skaven and goblins.

But I just see the undercoat as something for paint to stick to. Perfect coverage isn't that important. If the metal/plastic shines through in places doesn't matter, paint will take care of that. Exceptions are if the model is to be predominantly white or other light colour, where a more careful undercoat pays off.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Didn't make an oath for the oath thread last month, but that doesn't mean I didn't get anything done, as I managed to throw some paint at this:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I thought I'd post some better pics of stuff from the oath thread, mainly my chaos spawns. They were actually made years ago for a chaos army I never really made much of a progress on. They're meant to fit the theme of a slaaneshi beastmen army.

They weren't based until now though, because I had never decided on how to base them, but I finally got that done. Maybe I'll get back to chaos eventually, but it's not that likely. More likely is for them to see occasional use in my Araby army.

The batworm. It's the body of a Scyla Chaos Spawn on top of a Tyranid Ravener(?), with the wings from a giant bat.

The dogcentaur here is made from an old Chaos Hound with the upper body of an even older bugbear, and hands from a genestealer.

This mess is a Rat Ogre torso on a Slaanesh boobworm, with arms from a Daemon Prince and a dragon. Head is a minotaur with squig mouth.

And this body is a really old Umber Hulk model, with face tentacles from a carrion crawler and claws from a Slaanesh greater daemon.

Painting wise, it's mainly drybrushing (except details), starting off at scorched brown working upwards. Very limited use of washes, as these were painted before GW came out with the new washes (and I became addicted to devlan mud and ogryn flesh).

Finally, two orc characters, much more recently painted, for the greenskin army I'm working on. They were also just in need of basing. Thanks in large part to the oath thread, I've probably got a playable army by now.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished a converted Vyper for the oath thread; thought I might as well post it over here.

Not my own idea, I just wanted to try and replicate a conversion I saw and liked. Turret's gone, replaced by Falcon engines. The main weapon is placed centrally under the front. Painted red because they go fasta. I also wanted to paint some runes or something to break up the red areas, but was afraid it'd take away from the sleek look of it. (Besides, when this zooms by at Mach 3, it's not like you have time to notice any runes on it anyway.)

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm not sure how it fits in your Araby army (that Fanlist must be insane) but you did a great job. I can't think of anything I'd change.

Huh? I'm pretty drat sure it doesn't fit in my Araby army. Oh, is it the base? I had no spare flying stands, so I used one I made for my Araby army.

Noo, this is strictly for my Eldar "army". It consists of one converted Vyper. I doubt it'll get any reinforcements soon, although I've got an idea to convert a Warp hunter by cutting up a falcon.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I just like making bad jokes.

And I like the whooshing sounds they make as they fly over my head. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Ashcans posted:

Did you find some laying around, or did you just shell out for the parts?
Thanks.
A friend had a spare falcon caked in paint and superglue that he'd bought as part of a used army. He was never gonna use it except maybe for terrain, so I salvaged the engines.

The engine pieces aren't very detailed. Shouldn't be impossible to make something similar with a bit of work from just plastic tubing and plasticard or something. Just find a way to make them that's reasonably simple and easy to copy.

Or bug your friends/go on Ebay for used Falcons caked in paint and superglue. :v:

• Locked thread